Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2011, 12:12   #1
BHPian

BlackHawk (Baleno) is bumped by a motorist - first major accident in 3 yrs

Yesterday, I and wifey were returning from work, driving through our regular route

Gachibowli ->madhapur -> Jubilee Hills CheckPost -> Cinemax -> Panjagutta -> paradise -> Trimulgherry

Listening to our favourite radio show, Fultuu Bindaas by RJ Pratika. We were happily enjoying the radio with our other fellow commuters all stuck in traffic near Cinemax. Our Hawk was in the middle lane, a zen on the right most lane & another car ( i think swift) on the left most lane. As the traffic was moving at snails pace, i was in a relax mode not really keen to overtake or change lanes around !

The traffic ahead of me started moving, we moved forward, only to see a red colored CBZ extreme ridden by an a** without helmet, guided by a pillion as crazy as the rider himself sneek into the left gap between my baleno and the left most swift. Within seconds, i hear a "dak dak.." and next thing i get to see the bike losing balance ahead of me. Assuming these idiots will fall and get hurt/hit by my car, i react hard on the brakes and steer a little towards the right, in the process hitting the zen on the right most lane with a faint jerk! No damage on the zen (thankfully!). Since my door was hit with the zen, i couldnt get down and meanwhile, the maniacs on the bike gave a slip weaving throuugh traffic.

I dint get down to check the damage since that will create unnecessary mess around for fellow commuters. With a heavy heart and gritty driving, i decided to catch hold of the culprit. Assuring my wife that am not getting into any hunt (thinking opposite to myself ) i get on with the drive.

Finally, i manager to come close to the biker near Anand theater, begumpet. I didnt honk, but accelerated towards the left, to cut him across and block the bike. But, an APSRTC bus driver behind had other ideas. He didnt allow me to cross my lane and there goes my plan into the drain. I honk for the bus and the pillion ahead notices my Hawk alerts his rider and now they sped away ! I gave up the chase and returned home with a sad face and cursing the hyd traffic which has become senseless to the highest degree

The following problems need to be addressed now:
  1. The biker slipped away. His number AP 28 xx 2841. with a bag hanging on the pillion, the "xx" in the number was not visible properly. Is it all ? can we nab him ?
  2. The Hawk is bruised with the front bumper hanging from the left. The hinge is broken, so it doesnt sit and latch on.
  3. The driver door is dented, no paint peel off though.
Today morning, we lodged a police complaint with number AP 28 AU 2841 ( we guessed it could be AU, from the font we saw). Unfortunately, that happens to be a tvs scooty pep. So, the number was wrong. Now we dont know how the police will react because of this wrong number mentioned in the complaint.

They have asked us to come in the evening to collect the FIR and proceed further. Can we now remove the number from the complaint saying it was a mistake ? we are sure about numberics being 2841, but the rest of it is a confusion.

Do we need FIR in such a case, if we want to claim insurance for the damages ?

Since we are anyway going for repairs this time, I am thinking of getting a full body repaint, fixing another minor dent on the rear right top corner of the boot. Since i will get partial claim for the bumper & door, can i get the whole repaint/single coat done with a teflon polish to make my almost 70k old soldier look fresh for another innings ?

Pics
Attached Thumbnails
BlackHawk (Baleno) is bumped by a motorist - first major accident in 3 yrs-20110517-09.06.22_1_1.jpg  

BlackHawk (Baleno) is bumped by a motorist - first major accident in 3 yrs-20110517-09.06.33_1_1.jpg  

BlackHawk (Baleno) is bumped by a motorist - first major accident in 3 yrs-20110517-09.06.46_1_1.jpg  

BlackHawk (Baleno) is bumped by a motorist - first major accident in 3 yrs-20110517-09.07.05_1_1.jpg  

BlackHawk (Baleno) is bumped by a motorist - first major accident in 3 yrs-20110517-09.07.10_1_1.jpg  

Last edited by kri$hna : 18th May 2011 at 10:51.
Old 18th May 2011, 11:06   #2
BHPian

Re: BlackHawk is bumped by a motorist -- A first major accident in 3 yrs

UPDATE:

I have left the car @workshop - new mars auto, hyd. I guess I ll now have to wait for the surveyor to inspect the damages & an estimate from the workshop
Old 18th May 2011, 11:15   #3
BHPian

Hey Krishna, sorry to hear about the accident. I'm pretty sure, you dont need to lodge an FIR to claim Insurance for this. The cost of the bumper might be around 4-5K and you may have to pay, I guess 500, for claiming insurance and the rest should be covered under insurance. Contact your insurance company and a surveyor will provide you an estimate.

Last edited by aviorp : 18th May 2011 at 11:16.
aviorp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2011, 11:52   #4
BHPian

Sorry to hear about the accident.

@aviorp - The cost of the Baleno's front bumper including painting would come to a little around 10k at the MASS.
Old 18th May 2011, 14:15   #5
BHPian

Insurance guys have requested for an FIR, which is anyway with me now. Surveyor would be inspecting the vehicle after a couple of hours probably.

Meanwhile, my dad has to sign the claim form & other stuff it seems. The baleno bumper would be expensive for sure, and my guess is it should be around 10 to 12k. Claim charges will be 1000/- (though its only 90cc above 1500 )

How abt the door ? for the driver side door, if the dent has to be removed and painted, what will be the insurance coverage ? Can i manage the service guys to quote more in the door part & lesser in the bumper stuff, which might save me some moolah ?
Old 18th May 2011, 16:08   #6
Senior - BHPian

Re: BlackHawk (Baleno) is bumped by a motorist - first major accident in 3 yrs

Krishna, sorry to read about your accident. Swerving to right on seeing that biker falling could have been a little dangerous, thanks to slow traffic that you didn't have any issues with that Zen on your right.
Glad that it didn't get any major damages, dent in the bonnet looks easily repairable.

Would you need to change the whole bumper? Can't the hinges be repaired and put back ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kri$hna View Post
Can i manage the service guys to quote more in the door part & lesser in the bumper stuff, which might save me some moolah ?
You can manage that, depending on your relationship with the service centre. But they have the right, IMO, to reject it.

EDIT: don't see any dent in the bonnet. It was your reflection, which looked like that.

Last edited by Fordmanchau : 18th May 2011 at 16:09.
Old 18th May 2011, 17:00   #7
BHPian

Looking at bumper damage, i would suggest to go to a local mechanic. He'll do it in much cheaper price may be around 2K and you may not need to claim insurance.
Old 18th May 2011, 17:07   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey kri$hna, My 2 cents:

Do not claim insurance for this damage. You still end up paying 5-6k as depreciation, and lose the NCB for next year.

The bumper looks repairable and does not need replacement. Take the car to a dedicated body shop and ask for a whole paint job. Proper negotiation will take care of that bumper too.
Old 18th May 2011, 17:58   #9
Team-BHP Support

+1 to what Dhanush is suggesting.

Looks like the bumper has just been deformed a bit. About the scratches, you could have them touched up, it is done FOC (Free of Cost) by MASS.

You said the door just has a dent, no paint loss; you could get this sorted out too.

My suggestion : Go to a trusted neighbourhood garage and get the bumper and dent fixed. Not worth a trip to MASS and claiming insurance.
Old 18th May 2011, 18:01   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
Would you need to change the whole bumper? Can't the hinges be repaired and put back ?
The bumper is also having a hinge, which is broken & that being plastic, i guess it cant be repaired. But a new bumper costs 9084/-. So even a 50% of it would be ok if they r gonna pay up for the door & fender damages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
The bumper looks repairable and does not need replacement. Take the car to a dedicated body shop and ask for a whole paint job. Proper negotiation will take care of that bumper too.
I am actually trying to do this !

a full paint job will set me back by 40k i guess and insurance will only take a marginal share of tht i believe. I wud still hav to cough up a major damage.. which makes me think loud. But this is gonna clear off all the small scratches dents etc which were ignored till date
Old 18th May 2011, 18:02   #11
Senior - BHPian

Hi. For the front bumper, if there is not too much damage and only the hinge broken, you can proabably do some makeshift work at a local garage. Else, go in to the MASS and get the whole thing changed. I know how the feeling can be when things like this happen, and you want to do anything to bring it back to new. Do what ever makes your heart feel better. But ensure you get a good deal on the wallet too.

As for the dents on the door, if it is deep or fairly deep, they will have to remove the dents and then repaint the entire door. But if it is just a bump or so, you can get it pulled out by those who do PDR or Paintless Dent Removal. Denting and painting cost for somehting like this should work up to around 4 K total, per door.
Old 18th May 2011, 18:12   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kri$hna View Post
a full paint job will set me back by 40k i guess and insurance will only take a marginal share of tht i believe. I wud still hav to cough up a major damage.. which makes me think loud. But this is gonna clear off all the small scratches dents etc which were ignored till date
Well, A.S.S should cost that much, but then.. 40k is way too much!!..

Check out tbhp's directory for Sai Colorium in Bangalore. Every one seem to have a very good opinion about them, even better than some A.S.S. When I called them for a paint job quote, they quoted me 1,200/panel, which included minor tinkering too. ie, the whole whole paint job should cost you somewhere around 20k and that will include the door and bumper.

M.A.S.S will not fix the hinge of the bumper, but these dedicated workshop guys will have umpteen ways of doing it efficiently.

P.S - I'm in no way related to them. This is just a suggestion hoping to help a fellow member.
Old 18th May 2011, 18:25   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
M.A.S.S will not fix the hinge of the bumper, but these dedicated workshop guys will have umpteen ways of doing it efficiently.
I agree. I faced a similar issue with my SX4. The front bumper hinges on one side had broken off making the bumper lopsided. I took it to a MASS (but not dealer) and they apparently melted the broken hinge part (which after all is plastic) and attached it back to the body!! As good as new!! They charged me around 4000 for this (along with removing a small dent on the bonnet and repainting it as well)

Last edited by shreeps : 18th May 2011 at 18:27. Reason: corrected typo
Old 18th May 2011, 20:04   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreeps View Post
I agree. I faced a similar issue with my SX4. The front bumper hinges on one side had broken off making the bumper lopsided. I took it to a MASS (but not dealer) and they apparently melted the broken hinge part (which after all is plastic) and attached it back to the body!! As good as new!! They charged me around 4000 for this (along with removing a small dent on the bonnet and repainting it as well)
Seems like a good solution to try

Right now, the hawk is at New Mars Auto, Hyd. The repainting job is actually 30k & added to tht is a high gloss finish & complete teflon treatment which brings it close to 40k.

THe surveyor shall call me tomorrow to discuss his version & tell me what the company will pay for. I think that will decide my further action.

AT this point, do i have an option to reject insurance claim and go on my own, if i dont intend to get the bumper replaced ? ie., if my talks with the surveyor fail tomorrow, what option will i be left with ?
Old 18th May 2011, 21:00   #15
ahm

If you are sure about AP28 and 2841, then it could be AZ.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks