Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2011, 15:33   #1
BHPian

Holes punched on the tubeless tyres of my vehicle

I parked my car in the shared ground floor parking space of my apartment on last Tuesday. On thursday morning, we noticed that one of the front tubeless tyre was deflated. As I could not locate any visible objects (e.g. nails, wires etc) on the tyre and also my car did not move out of the garage since tuesday, I suspected some mischief and took the tyre to the nearest fuel station for fixing it.

The mechanic located five small holes that were punched through the tyre. The holes were very close to each other. The Goodyear tyre was almost new.

Now, keeping my anger apart, I would like to know whether it is safe to go on a long drive with the spare tyre with five holes. I was planning a long drive of around 500 kms tomorrow with my wife and 23 month son as company. The mechanic at the garage, however checked the tyre several times after fixing and indicated that there are no more holes.
Old 27th May 2011, 15:51   #2
BANNED

Re: Holes punched on the tubeless tyres of my vehicle

What is the diameter of the holes? How were they plugged? Are they close enough to merge into a larger hole with wear and tear?

--Ragul
Old 27th May 2011, 16:00   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
What is the diameter of the holes? How were they plugged? Are they close enough to merge into a larger hole with wear and tear?

--Ragul
Holes were very small (~ 1 sq mm), probably punched with a sharp object. The holes were invisible with naked eye but caused very prominent air bubbles in water.

The holes were plugged with the standard kit.

All 5 holes were within a rectangle of 2 inch by 3 inch. The closest two holes are approximately 1 cm apart.
Old 27th May 2011, 16:29   #4
Team-BHP Support

Are these on side walls or on treads ? should not be an issue if these are on treads .
Old 27th May 2011, 16:32   #5
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_panther View Post
Holes were very small (~ 1 sq mm), probably punched with a sharp object. The holes were invisible with naked eye but caused very prominent air bubbles in water.

The holes were plugged with the standard kit.

All 5 holes were within a rectangle of 2 inch by 3 inch. The closest two holes are approximately 1 cm apart.

I am no expert, but me thinks that's a fairly large area and it shouldn't blow. You have a spare 5th wheel dont you? Keep this bad tyre for emergency and use the stepni as your regular tyre. But you will have to worry about it when it is time to rotate tyres. Or you can rotate only the 4 good wheels.

--Ragul
Old 27th May 2011, 16:40   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
You have a spare 5th wheel dont you? Keep this bad tyre for emergency and use the stepni as your regular tyre.
That's exactly his worry. He doesn't want to carry a spare wheel with holes in it.

@Panther, did you ask the puncture fellow as to how this could have happened? What about the security guy? If the holes are in the treads, you should be able to do a good 100 kms on that tyre, just in case. But still, it is very dangerous given that you have a young fellow with you.

Sensible suggestion: sell the tyre, buy a new one. Have a night watchman if you don't.
Old 27th May 2011, 17:07   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Are these on side walls or on treads ? should not be an issue if these are on treads .
Holes are mostly on the treads but on the lateral side. Also these are on the thinner section of the tread (less rubber).

The current watchman is rather newly appointed and is an old fellow (Now, don't ask me why). I have seen him falling asleep during the late evening.

@unoczar : I won't be able to sell and buy a new tyre tonight as I plan to go out tomorrow very early in the morning. Would it be sensible to take the bad tyre as a spare one tomorrow, specially with a kid on board?
Old 27th May 2011, 17:12   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unoczar View Post
@Panther, did you ask the puncture fellow as to how this could have happened?
The puncture fellow was preety sure that it was done intentionally. Remember, holes are on the lateral exposed side, on the tread and on the sections in between thick rubber.

I am not ruling out the mischief by a driver who is knows about tyres.

Last edited by black_panther : 27th May 2011 at 17:16.
Old 27th May 2011, 17:15   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
sensible to take the bad tyre as a spare one tomorrow, specially with a kid on board?
If you check your ODO reading & number of times you have got the tires punctured you will find the odds of getting puncture , in addition to this you have a spare tire so should not worry much , most of the time air deflates from Tubeless ones slowly unless there is a big puncture , in 2 of my cars , i don't have even a spare tire courtesy RFTs and till date have never been struck . However its a good idea to keep a small Air pump which comes handy and you can pick this from any of shops -
Old 27th May 2011, 17:43   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
If you check your ODO reading & number of times you have got the tires punctured you will find the odds of getting puncture , in addition to this you have a spare tire so should not worry much , most of the time air deflates from Tubeless ones slowly unless there is a big puncture , in 2 of my cars , i don't have even a spare tire courtesy RFTs and till date have never been struck . However its a good idea to keep a small Air pump which comes handy and you can pick this from any of shops -
The car had run 8000 kms in 2009 mostly on highways and only had a single puncture when a small piece of wire got stuck from a construction site near my house. I was in US since then, and got the car serviced last week after coming back.
Old 27th May 2011, 18:09   #11
Senior - BHPian

Well, this is quite unfortunate and if you want to find whodunit then you could try to recall if you had any argument or discussion with anyone in the vicinity recently. It could also purely be out of jealousy for one or the other reason.

While this could be used as a spare for your drive today, I would also recommend that you replace/ buy another tyre to ensure your safety. Also see if you can ensure that the security is more aware of who is entering the parking premises if this is not already being monitored
Old 27th May 2011, 19:26   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Well, this is quite unfortunate and if you want to find whodunit then you could try to recall if you had any argument or discussion with anyone in the vicinity recently. It could also purely be out of jealousy for one or the other reason.
I believe, I am kind of a "no one" in the locality. I had a word with the security guard and the drivers of other cars in the premises. They indicated that sometimes they have frictions with drivers from neighborhood and there has been incidents of vandalism on other cars.

Usually I drive both our cars, but a driver in the premises takes care of them (washing, parking, taking for service/repairs, ocasionally driving my parents).

Jealousy is unfortunate, but that do happen in Kolkata.

Quote:
While this could be used as a spare for your drive today, I would also recommend that you replace/ buy another tyre to ensure your safety. Also see if you can ensure that the security is more aware of who is entering the parking premises if this is not already being monitored
Yes. I am determined to drive out tomorrow, whatever comes in the way.
Wish me luck!

I was thinking of upgrading to Bridgestone as Goodyear is noisy on the highways taking the positive from the incident.
Old 27th May 2011, 19:43   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Jealousy is unfortunate, but that do happen in Kolkata.
Everywhere my friend; unfortunately

Quote:
I was thinking of upgrading to Bridgestone as Goodyear is noisy on the highways taking the positive from the incident
The Michelin XM1s also come highly recommended for noise reduction; you may want to check those out too.
I wish you well for your trip; let us know how it went and come back with lots of pics for us!
Old 27th May 2011, 21:09   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post

The Michelin XM1s also come highly recommended for noise reduction; you may want to check those out too.
I wish you well for your trip; let us know how it went and come back with lots of pics for us!
Thanks. I'll consider Michelin and go through the t-bhp threads before taking the final decision.

I had one more inspection of the less fortunate tyre. 4 of the 5 holes are on treads at the edge inclined towards the lateral side and 1 exclusively on the lateral side.

Thanks all of you for your help and support. This will be my first trip in India after the 12k + miles at the US, therefore lacking a bit on confidence, but really excited to drive my black panther after a long time which is smooth and silent as ever.
Old 28th May 2011, 08:44   #15
BHPian

Quote:
@unoczar : I won't be able to sell and buy a new tyre tonight as I plan to go out tomorrow very early in the morning. Would it be sensible to take the bad tyre as a spare one tomorrow, specially with a kid on board?
I can say with confidence that you take almighty's name and go with 4 good tyres. Where are you going? If you stay on good roads, there shouldn't be any cause for worry. All the best!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks