Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2014, 15:52   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Cheating on Mumbai Pune Expressway

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKis View Post
My friend tried starting the car but the car was being pulled backwards on the slope and hence he again put the parking breaks on.
It must've been quite a steep slope that a Swift Vxi couldn't climb and these "mechanics" would have had strategically placed themselves there knowing that any car which would become stationary there wouldn't be able to climb without a very generous dose of acceleration that all of us drivers aren't used to.

But then fearing that the car might go bad if we try and push it to the limits along with the mechanics (experts we all rely on) constantly telling you not to make the situation worse would prevent us from thinking logically.

Only good thing was that they didn't fall for it, probably the guy behind them wasn't so lucky.
fine69 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th January 2014, 18:10   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
...What was the smoke and burning smell all about?...
It was from the clutch itself. If you ride the clutch hard enough for a considerable amount of time, smoke starts emanating from it and a strong burning smell is noticed. As the car is rested for a few minutes, they disappear and the clutch behaves fine again.

OT. Happened to me once. I was driving down a steep slope when I noticed at a turn that the road ahead was blocked. I stopped and tried to reverse up the slope. The elevation was very steep and I was not able to get the car to move backwards up the slope. Result, burning smell from clutch, quite noticeable inside the cabin. Stopped the car, popped the hood. Smoke.

Waited for a few minutes, started the car. Was able to reverse the car at the spot and take a U-turn. Drove up the slope in 1st, clutch was behaving normally again.
swarnava.m is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th January 2014, 23:07   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
What was the smoke and burning smell all about?

How can the clutch get burnt on upslope - unless one has a tendency to not release it after slotting the gear (riding with half clutch)?
Getting the car to roll uphill (forward or reverse) from standstill is one of the common situations where lack of experience/judgement can serve a nice, toasted clutch.
Turbo_Torq is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed