Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2011, 10:45   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Four-year dream run comes to an end - Laura L&K accident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan1180 View Post
This was a really terrifying accident, and its is fortunate that no one was hurt badly.
I have a question, which may sound inappropriate. However, I feel a bit insecure about this, so I take the liberty of asking this.
If the Airbags are replaced at the workshop, are they as reliable as they were before? I mean, does the retro fitment come at the cost of safety of the passengers?
When the company provides the system, its a tried and tested setup and the security is assured. But is there any way to see if the fitment at the dealers place is equally good?
They will be replacing the airbags and the airbag controller module and it is a fairly simple job at the a.s.s. It is just a matter of few screws and connecting the wiring harness. If things are not done properly, the car would throw a fault code.

Main concern would be from the mechanical/chassis repairs.
Old 17th June 2011, 11:18   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
Androdev,
Sorry for such a bad loss and glad that no-one was injured in the accident.
But 2.5Lakhs for a airbag? Are they so expensive.
And what adds to the cost of Air bags? the air bag controller ?
Will look out google for pretensioners,as I also don't have much info. about it.
Please do update about the estimated cost of repair.
The SRS is a composite unit fitted within the dashboard and on implosion, it juts out of the dashboard unit thereby damaging the entire unit, The Airbags cost that much because it involves changing the entire dash board and the sensor fitted on the front torsion beam behind the front bumper.

This is the realistic cost.
getanilkhanna is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th June 2011, 13:19   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

I am confused about the following options:

1. I am not interested in repair. So I would ask the workshop to be generous in coming up with a repair value in the hope that insurance liability goes up and I get max insurance benefit.

2. I am interested in repair. In that case I would want the opposite by trying to get the lowest repair cost possible in the hope that my out-of-pocket expense will be minimal.

So it means, I would have to commit to option#1 or option#2 and stick to it. If I change my mind later, I will lose more money.

Any thoughts?
Old 17th June 2011, 13:26   #79
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
1. I am not interested in repair. So I would ask the workshop to be generous in coming up with a repair value in the hope that insurance liability goes up and I get max insurance benefit.

2. I am interested in repair. In that case I would want the opposite by trying to get the lowest repair cost possible in the hope that my out-of-pocket expense will be minimal.
From the looks of it, the car doesn't look structurally compromised. So, it is not like the car cannot be driven as before. All the damages can be easily fixed to factory shape. You need to check the repair estimate.

Unless your part of the bill is astronomical, it doesn't make sense to go for total loss. It is up to you to decide what amount you're going to be comfortable with.

I'd suggest you get all the imp. repairs done at A.S.S., outsource other jobs like lamps, bumpers etc. to good garages to get down the cost and your liability.
Old 17th June 2011, 13:28   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

My take would be to push for this option.

Speak to the dealership staff and the Insurance Surveyors. Tell them, since you have paid a big fat premium for last 4 years, you would need the car to be restored back to the condition it was originally in. So, you ask them to REPLACE every single thing, that has any sort of dent / damage. Basically, what happens a number of times is that customers would accept 80-90% restoration of the car, as long as all visible issues have been handled. The cost and labour of the remaining 10-20% can be very high, and the insurance companies would never want the customer to be even aware of it.

This, I am saying from my experience, where the dealership staff were in some sort of collusion with the insurance surveyor. The dealership stands to lose on spare sales and service revenue if the cost gets too high (in the total lost territory), and the insurance company also have to pay more. So, they strike a deal that they handle MOST visible and critical items and don't even let the customer know about the others.

This strategy varies from case to case, so see how much damage is there to the car, and push for a total loss.
Old 17th June 2011, 13:35   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

So it means, I would have to commit to option#1 or option#2 and stick to it. If I change my mind later, I will lose more money.

Any thoughts?
Thats absolutely correct, you will need to stick one option and stay put with it whatever may be the outcome. The main variable here is the estimate of repairs given by the workshop. Now if they have given an inital estimate then I am sure they always will be an increase of the estimate once they come up with the final one since they would be including the "not reqd to be changed" stuff too. So it this crosses the Total loss limit, then you can opt for option 1. Or else you will be stuck with option 2 since this would depend upon the Insurance guys picking up % of your tab.

Whats happening on the Police case thing? Is it resolved?
Old 17th June 2011, 13:57   #82
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Any thoughts?
Thats quite a dilemma you have on your hands. Generally my experience with the A.S.S has been that they give an estimate much on the higher side, trying to replace every little thing in order to bring the car to its original shape, which basically means additional business for them. The final bill invariably ends up being quite lower than the estimate (by about 25 to 30%). They do not want the bill to cross the initial estimate since that would make things complicated for everybody.

But since in your case the repair estimate is bordering on total loss, the A.S.S may give you a lower estimate and try to skip replacing certain parts which they normally would and do a 'fix it' job. I agree with roy_libran and suggest you to insist on bringing the car to its original shape with every little part replaced and no compromises. The way Skoda's parts are priced, you can get an estimate which would enable you to push for total loss.

By looking at your car I am sure the insurance surveyor will be very reluctant to accept a total loss scenario. Thats the way insurance companies are.
Old 17th June 2011, 14:53   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

Got the preliminary estimate:

Major parts (price more than 5K incl tax):
Name:  Picture 10.png
Views: 2994
Size:  141.3 KB

Another 40 parts (price below 5K) that cost 65K and labour is estimated to be 60K.
Name:  Picture 11.png
Views: 3018
Size:  147.0 KB
Name:  Picture 12.png
Views: 3004
Size:  83.0 KB

Total price (parts + labour): 893K

This is based on my decision to go with option#1 (do not wish to repair). Workshop is coordinating with ICICI Lombard and information on the actual coverage will known hopefully early next week.

PS: There might be few mistakes, for instance DOOR is included twice even though only one rear-left door is damaged.

Last edited by androdev : 17th June 2011 at 15:17.
androdev is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2011, 14:56   #84
BHPian

Sorry to hear about the accident, good that everyone is safe.

Quote:
I have brainwashed all my family members to wear seat-belts. So far they have been doing without believing but now I am sure they are believers
When i installed art leather seat covers (deep stitch) for my Scorpio, the technician had concealed the rear seat belt sockets under the seat cover. Despite travelling frequently on highways, the inability of rear seat passengers to fasten seat belt was being taken lightly.

After reading your posts, I have spoken to the seat cover guys and by this evening , the sockets will be brought out of the covers to ensure the fastening of seat belts by rear seat passengers.
Old 17th June 2011, 15:15   #85
Senior - BHPian

So out of the 893K, how much will be paid by insurance ? Does it qualify for total loss ?
Old 17th June 2011, 15:20   #86
Senior - BHPian

I assume the item "Three Point Automatic Seat" is a seat-belt?

What is the trim for battery? It's appearing twice, I would assume you had a single battery.
Old 17th June 2011, 15:23   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_Hawk View Post
After reading your posts, I have spoken to the seat cover guys and by this evening , the sockets will be brought out of the covers to ensure the fastening of seat belts by rear seat passengers.
That's the case with most of us NH :|. Infact, out of the five cars that we use in our family, only 2 have the rear belts in place. The other three cars have the belts hidden (not being use) as in your case. Will need to take them out and make sure people @ the rear use them.
We don't realize the need for the belts unless we're reminded of their benefits.
Old 17th June 2011, 15:26   #88
BHPian

Quote:
@R.Kotwal, that is very useful info.

Unfortunately I did not do the right thing for several reasons.
1. I was not driving and not at the scene to ascertain the facts.
2. It is a rural police station outside my hometown and all the proceedings were in Kannada. My person who knew Kannada that was with me was legally-ignorant (which I came to know much later)
3. So the case was registered on my driver and when I protested it is not our fault, I was firmly told the case will always be registered on the bigger vehicle. And quite sadly when I called up few people in Bangalore, I was told these two IPC sections are very routine and not to worry about. Police also told me going at high-speed (without proving) is the basis for this.
4. Everyone gave me the impression that this is how stuff works - you know how frustrating it is sometimes when you reason rationally with police.
5. Police have a vested interest to log the complain against the party that has the potential to pay - they get nothing by registering a complaint against the auto.
6. I was told if I don't register a complaint this way (rash driving, etc.) they would have to wait for the victim to register a similar complaint and that may delay my vehicle's release, etc. with same liability.
I couldnt let this post go unreplied because some very crucial issues are raised by Androdev with regard to tackling the criminal liability of a driver involved is such a misadventure. Its more complicated because of a permanently corrupt law enforcement agency, and the unpreparedness of the unsuspecting vehicle owner to handle such a situation that ususlly comes without warning.

Not that it would necessarily make a difference to the way Androdev has chosen to tackle the case, he's the man on the spot and I'm sure by now he would have his game plan ready, especially when we know how challenging it is to wriggle out of such situations with the Police on one side and the injured on the other, - I will try to de-mistify the points that Androdev made above, with the hope that when any of us , god forbid faces such a situation ever, then at least we could have our basics right.

Point 1: That is understood and natural.

Point 2: Common mistake. Always take someone who has some knowledge of police procedures/ has influence/friendshipwith the police. If not possible, then call someone on your phone who is conversant with the thing, or who has experience of dealing with legal issues and let him do the initial talking with the police. If you have a friend, or a friend's friend who is in the police, or is ex-police, request them to speak to them. This will deter any malicious plans that the police may have on how to lie to you, scare you and then, milk you.

Point 3: Yes, the people whom you called up in Bangalore were right when they said that the case was of a routine nature. Its routine till the driver is ok. Hopefully, the driver may have been discharged already? Second, the explanation of the police to say that 'they have to register a case on the bigger vehicle' is pure bull****, and that just shows the quality of their training, intelligence and conviction at the police station levels. There is no such law or rule that supports that theorey.

Point5: Well, you'll be surprised to know how easy it is for the police to make things worth their while. They will milk all, whether or not a case is registered . Ironically, it is also true, that the police tends to lose out when they register a case. Look at it like this- Why would anyone pay the police when they have already registered a case that would be finally judicially determined by the court?! wouldnt it make more sense for the police to ask the price of not registering a case at all (in cases where no human lives are involved)?! Conversely, if they have registered the case, then what stops them from scaring people more by lying more about making a strong case, unless ofcourse they give in. They need uneducated , and scared citizens out there to make a living , and India has plenty

Point6: This is totally incorrect. It doesn't happen like that. Lodging of FIRs are time bound. You can delay lodging it somewhat with respect to the actual time of commission, but to think that the police station waits for the injured to get out of the hospital in a vehicular accident case and then lodge an FIR is totally unheard of and highly irregular!

One last point. There are many good and honest police officers up the chain. It is a good idea sometimes to pay them a visit and ask for their help. The key word here is to understand to take recourse to them only if if you have a fool proof honest case. In 'all other circumstances', your local friendly SHO is the best bet. So keep him covered.

Good luck
R. Kotwal is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th June 2011, 15:32   #89
Senior - BHPian

Thats an astronomical number for sure.

Quote:
PS: There might be few mistakes, for instance DOOR is included twice even though only one rear-left door is damaged.
While the entry appears twice, the part numbers for them are different. So not sure if they have deliberately included another door in the list.
Old 17th June 2011, 17:17   #90
BHPian

I witnessed a similar incident about a couple years ago on the Bangalore - Hassan highway. An auto decided to turn right on to this village road all of a sudden near Hassan, Karnataka without indicating. A Getz behind him braked hard (I was watching all this happen behind the Getz), almost came to a stop and nudged the auto. The auto toppled and a mob gathered around in no time. The Getz driver for no fault of his had to cough up some money to a local "chieftan" supposedly to repair the auto. No one was hurt.
In general, it pays to be extra cautious when one sees autos, tractors, cyclists and while passing by villages / breaks in dividers. We need to allow for others' mistakes.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks