Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2011, 17:10   #1
BHPian

Biker rams rear bumper

Usual morning to work its 8:30am phase one EC in front of Infy and IIIT gate going towards elevated flyover, Im inline with everyone ahead of me, everyone is following traffic rules. Im in my lane. The car in front of me slows down cos a Vajra bus is going to stop, I slow down(< 20kmph) keeping safe distance with the car in front. I hear a screeching noise from behind and the sight insplit second view in my rear-view mirror is that of a biker jamming his breaks very close, I let my car roll and all I hear is a loud thud. He has hit my blind corner, LHS/Q panel, LHS bumper. I hope and only hope nothing has gone seriously wrong, move the car to the side. The biker is ok, infact totally fine. I'm fine, but my car is not.

Biker rams rear bumper-image434.jpg

I exchange numbers/cards, he works close by, ask him his details and let him go only to tell him that should be available to come to the workshop/police station in case required. I move to the nearest TASS and his gives me a shocking quote

Biker rams rear bumper-prerena-esti.jpg

I keep cursing my luck that my year old car has to go through this. Really hate it, its very dirty sinking feeling, the more I look at it the more it hurts. No fault of yours and

Biker rams rear bumper-image437.jpg

What happens next is where I need some help/advice on,

I get hold of the mechanic I know at the workshop and ask him how things must proceed and he too claims that I would have to claim insurance and go the usual routine. The LHS Q/panel paint work will cost a bomb along with bumper and no surety that the finishing will be factory like.

I take things in my own hand and ask him to help me push the bumper out, I read here, on a similar thread that there are vaccum grips that help pull out and dents on the body. The mechanic says it works only on bonnets, dickey, doors etc and fiber-glass pannel needs to be heated. Half-an hour later this is what I managed on my own with little help from the mechanic, some thinner for the paint and some push and shove.

Biker rams rear bumper-image438.jpg

The dent is still there, guess will have to live with that. I was more than happy to have the bumper matching with the rest of the body at first.
Biker rams rear bumper-image439.jpg

I went through a lot in terms of running around first to office, then to TASS with broken bumper rubbing the rear wheel (no damage done though) My querry is what do I do with the biker ? I've sent him the estimate and he has not responded yet. I'm not angry or have a sense of revenge that I have to beat him up or somthing like that nor do I want to fleece him or harrass him, but want to make sure he gets a lesson and pays for irrational driving. I dont want to be the judge but he must get what he deserves. I mean I care for my car I spend Sunday afternoons with Meguiars rubbing and shining my car and when such a thing happens its very very irritating.

and the TASS guys, gave me a nonsense quote when it could have been repaired even more rubbish.

Last edited by kartikk : 21st July 2011 at 17:36.
kartikk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2011, 17:26   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Biker rams rear bumper

The small dent can be repaired locally for under 1,500 Rupees. If the biker is a decent guy ask him to pay for it.
If he is unwilling to cooperate, nothing much you can do about it. Repair the damage from your pocket and pray that the biker also gets his bike damaged by a moron like himself.

Last edited by Captain Slow : 21st July 2011 at 17:29.
Captain Slow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2011, 17:41   #3
Senior - BHPian

re: Biker rams rear bumper

Actually the cost they have given is not something that should be surprising. They charge on the basis of number of panels, which in this case is 2. Go anywhere across bangalore and for a proper bumper paint job, it will cost in the vicinity of 2000. You will get it done for lesser in other places, but the paint quality may not be good.

In the showroom, the general practice is repair and repaint. Even if something can be removed using PDR techniques or others, they will insist that they have to scrape the paint out and then fix the dent, and finally repaint it.

But what if they did the same thing you did, and still charge you for repainting. Thats what one may never get to know

As for the biker, now that you have fixed the bumper by a simple method, I guess the cost also comes down right, as opposed to the TASS estimate? So send him the revised quote and ask him to pay this amount. Else, you can also file a police complaint against him to ensure he remembers the lesson, but it wont be without hassles.
thedreamcatcher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2011, 10:47   #4
BHPian

Re: Biker rams rear bumper

The biker sends me and sms saying that he wont talk to me and is ready to face police inquiry and for some reason this guy only sends sm's and does not take calls.

All I can do is wish him hell
Old 23rd July 2011, 21:49   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartikk View Post
The biker sends me and sms saying that he wont talk to me and is ready to face police inquiry and for some reason this guy only sends sm's and does not take calls.

I almost expected this outcome.I suggest you to move on. After all not much damage done to the car.The police procedure will be more hassle and you will lose precious time and peace of mind.There are only a handful of honest guys .

Once my friends' palio was rammed from behind by a tempo traveler in front of forum mall on hosur road. The tempo driver pleaded not to lodge a complaint with the police and he would pay up for the damages.Telephone number and addresses were exchanged as usual.When the tempo driver came to know my friend works in a MNC,he stopped picking up calls and asked him to do whatever he wants.In the end he didnt even pay a penny and my friend shelled out 20K from his pocket for the repairs
Old 23rd July 2011, 22:05   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
I almost expected this outcome.I suggest you to move on. After all not much damage done to the car.The police procedure will be more hassle and you will lose precious time and peace of mind.There are only a handful of honest guys .

Once my friends' palio was rammed from behind by a tempo traveler in front of forum mall on hosur road. The tempo driver pleaded not to lodge a complaint with the police and he would pay up for the damages.Telephone number and addresses were exchanged as usual.When the tempo driver came to know my friend works in a MNC,he stopped picking up calls and asked him to do whatever he wants.In the end he didnt even pay a penny and my friend shelled out 20K from his pocket for the repairs
In my case my Accent CRDI was banged long time back, by actor vinay Pathak near my home at seven bunglows Andheri, at the tme of accident a little crowd got collected around our cars, I asked him to move ahead and we can talk over.
He agreed and we moved ahead and stopped ,later he came out and said SORRY for what ever happened and agreed to get the car repaired , he gave me his cell nos. ,but I told him to just FORGET IT , .
I got the car repaired from my freinds garage by paying 11000/-.from my pocket.
Old 23rd July 2011, 22:15   #7
Senior - BHPian

I got rear ended on my Vento by a guy on a old scooter. He didn't understand the languages I used and finally managed to ask him what he is going to do. All he could say was nothing. Haven't fixed the dent and rear tail lamp broken. Would run close to 10K.

So helpless with rules not meant to support you.
Old 23rd July 2011, 23:08   #8
Senior - BHPian

@kartik, tough luck mate with the rear ending!

From the damamge, the bumper only needs to be part painted (1/3 or 1/4 of it) and should cost about 700-800 Rs. The rear quarter panel needs to be fully painted which should cost about 2k. If you want a VFM but good quality job, go to Sai Colorium. That will also save you VAT of 10+%.

Hope you car is back to its original good condition soon!
Old 23rd July 2011, 23:32   #9
BHPian

Nothing much you can do when someone rear ends your car. Same thing happened to me when some biker came and rear ended my 1 month old i20. The worst part was i was stationary at a signal for more than 30 secs before he came and rear ended. I was left wondering how on earth do people rear end stationary vehicles.

Does not look like a major hit after all the repair you did as DIY

Forget it and move on.

About the guy, Just pray that something similar happens to his bike so that he gets to know the pain of it all.
Old 23rd July 2011, 23:45   #10
BHPian

Oops, yet another instance of a biker rear ending a car.
The work you have done on the bumper is really neat!

As for the other dent, I would suggest you get it done at private workshops.
Look up the T-BHP directory and find a convenient workshop for you.
These workshops do a better job than A** for such repair works and charge you less as well.

Last month, I got hit by a biker from behind, and I got my dent removed and repainted the hatch door at Sejal Motors. The quality of work was excellent and they charged me less than half of what A** had quoted!

You could check my ownership thread for details.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post2432667

As for the biker, I guess nothing much can be expected once you let him go from the spot.
I know it hurts a lot to see your car in that condition for no mistake of yours. Forget about him and get the repair done soon to get your car back in shape.
Old 23rd July 2011, 23:47   #11
Senior - BHPian

@kartik, buddy such things are common when you drive. Ignore and move on. There is no need to bring police in such cases, will cost you money and peace of mind. What you can do is that just be extra cautious from now onwards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimified View Post

About the guy, Just pray that something similar happens to his bike so that he gets to know the pain of it all.
We can certainly avoid this.

Every person gets the return of his Karma!
bluevolt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2011, 09:32   #12
BHPian

Quote:

That small dent can be repaired for 300-500 Rs. at max. Before going in for panel repainting, remember that no workshop can give you the factory finish. Sure, It'll look as new, but the paint will crack on denting later due to insufficient curing of primer done at workshops. Overall, don't go in for repaint as your car is only a year old.
Old 24th July 2011, 15:37   #13
dot
Senior - BHPian

Your DIY-type job looks great, the dent is almost not existent now. The TASS quote was not surprising as these days they try to replace everything when it can be repaired easily.

Quote:

The biker is just daring you as he probably knows that you will not do anything like most people. I think you should make a police complaint and send him the FIR number as a sms. Lets remember that "chalta hai" attitude is also a culprit which in turn fuels the virus of disrespect for fellow people.

Last edited by dot : 24th July 2011 at 15:38.
Old 24th July 2011, 17:14   #14
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to hear of the accident.

You can file a complaint - but the biker can file a counter complaint. Also a complaint needs to be filed within 24 hrs of an accident, and both vehicles will be seized for inspection by RTO officials. So I'd say forget about it and move on if you want to avoid the hassles.

Wasn't the bike damaged ? It must have taken a hit.

Last edited by sdp1975 : 24th July 2011 at 17:19.
Old 28th March 2016, 14:08   #15
BHPian

Re: CAR rams rear bumper

Yesterday my linea was rear ended by a carelessly driven honda city. Quite a massive thud from behind.

so far felt that, the impact was taken well by the car ...but the impact was so severe that , it cracked the bumper ( photo attached). Bumper was not at all dislodged,just this long 2 ft crack.

The honda city guy was a thug driver and he used his muscle power to leave the scene, without paying a penny in cash / insurance. The car which has hit me was : MH14 EH 8370 ( photo attached). Since I was with my family, could not do much wrt police case etc.

Pls suggest :

1) whether this is repairable, and if at all, will wit give the protection it gave this time ?
2) If it needs , full replacement, how much will i get from insurance ? total cost of replacement is 10K approx.( part+painting+labour)
3) What are the possible repair options , if its a feasible and safe approach
Attached Thumbnails
Biker rams rear bumper-lineabumpercrack.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks