Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2011, 11:58   #1
BHPian

4 cars went on a road trip only 3 returned!

I am going to describe the incident in short. We as a family went on a road trip to Rajasthan. We were a total of 18 people and 4 cars. Cars included 2 Innovas, 1 Honda Accord and 1 Merc C class. This is not our first road trip we as family have done Leh one time, Manali 2 times, Bangalore 2 times, Otty , Badrinath, Goa many times, Delhi, Udaipur etc etc.

All went well till the last day of the trip. On return from Rajasthan we took an over night halt at Anand, few of us decided to take a flight back from Jodhpur because of time constraint. As a result we were few people and more cars.

After starting from Anand 1 hour into the journey the incident took place on Baroda - Bharuch highway. The car Innova V variant was 3rd in the group of cars traveling in a convoy driven by my Aunt (Brilliant driver and great driving experience). The car was traveling at 80 kms /Hr when a kid decided to jump in from of the car. To avoid hitting the kid my aunt veered sharply (from the first lane). The car which had brand new tyres clipped divider with the rear RHS wheel. The car lost control, jumped the divider went on the opposite side, was hit head on by a Wagon R (impact on the side doors LHS of Innova) and ended up rolling over into the 10 feet deep pit on the opposite side.

There were there occupants in the car and one Infant. The front passenger and driver were buckled up and came out scratch less with some pain due to seat belts hitting the chest(Weirdly the Air bags deployed though it was not a frontal impact). At the rear was the care taker for the Infant and since the child wanted to sleep they were on the rear most bench of the car and not the middle row (savior) both with very minor injuries.

The wagon R driver was not wearing the seat belt and took a nasty blow on the chest but no damage done there too.

Yes the child who ran on the highway was scratch less and the saying goes 'I tried to save a soul and God saved me' no grudges against the kid but hust his parents. Also the broken front wind shield that looks like a head hit is actually a result of a helpful by stander who tried to break the class using a stone to remove occupants.

I will let the Pictures do the talking now.
Attached Thumbnails
4 cars went on a road trip only 3 returned!-p1020442.jpg  

4 cars went on a road trip only 3 returned!-p1020445.jpg  

4 cars went on a road trip only 3 returned!-p1020461.jpg  

4 cars went on a road trip only 3 returned!-p1020463.jpg  

4 cars went on a road trip only 3 returned!-p1020465.jpg  

4 cars went on a road trip only 3 returned!-dscn2427.jpg  

Old 3rd November 2011, 12:09   #2
BHPian

re: 4 cars went on a road trip only 3 returned!

Tazmaan,
That is a real nasty accident. I can well imagine the state your aunt must have been after the incident. Thank heavens all concerned are safe. Reminds me of an accident I had back in 2008. Head on between my Honda Accord and a Tata Indica. The Accord got almost totalled amazingly all occupants were safe.
Take care drive safe.
wishes
salil
Old 3rd November 2011, 12:11   #3
Senior - BHPian

Really sorry to hear about this ordeal. Very glad that the occupants including the infant was safe and there were no injuries. It was also good that the Wagon R driver though not buckled up did not suffer fatal injuries. Thank your stars and the almighty!
Old 3rd November 2011, 12:13   #4
Senior - BHPian

Trust me from the looks of the damaged cars it does not seem like everyone came our scratch free, i am particularly impressed at the infant being also safe. You had a good escape there and i am sure some of this actually goes to prove her excellent driving skills.

Very happy about everyone being safe, although it hurts when you see your car damaged like this but there is a certain level of satisfaction seeing everyone safe.

This goes on to show you choose the right car which is safe for its occupants.
Old 3rd November 2011, 12:13   #5
Senior - BHPian

To be fair it does say "Pedestrian crossing" in the 3rd pic behind the girl.
No way can 1 blame the locals. To us it is a 4-lane national highway, but to them it is a gully. During harvest season, grain is dried on one half of the four lane and no one can say a thing.
wildsdi5530 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2011, 12:27   #6
Team-BHP Support

Please use a child seat in the future.
bblost is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2011, 12:32   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
To be fair it does say "Pedestrian crossing" in the 3rd pic behind the girl.
No way can 1 blame the locals. To us it is a 4-lane national highway, but to them it is a gully. During harvest season, grain is dried on one half of the four lane and no one can say a thing.
This is on the opposite side of the highway good 100 feet away from where the child was crossing. The child unaccompanied was crossing much before the actual crossing where you cant even see the crossing board. The crossing sign is placed rite at the spot of the crossing not giving the driver time to react to the crossing until its passed.
Old 3rd November 2011, 12:36   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

I'm surprised that even the child had not been in a child seat, came out with just minor injuries. Or was there one?

Also, very glad that everyone came out OK.

btw, these incidents are unavoidable in highways. This is also why I prefer railings on fast highways, to prevent stray animals and pedestrians.
Old 3rd November 2011, 12:37   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Please use a child seat in the future.
I have got my family to start wearing seat belts and the next step would be to start using the child seat. We have one but I have to go convincing around how important safety is.

@mayankjha1806 :- It hurts to see the car damaged but the car did what it was designed to do which is to keep the occupants safe. I am impressed with the Innova's safety or may be it was just pure luck.
tazmaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2011, 13:29   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazmaan View Post
I have got my family to start wearing seat belts and the next step would be to start using the child seat. We have one but I have to go convincing around how important safety is.
Guess you won't have to do much 'convincing' anymore, after this accident!

Our highways are becoming more and more dangerous with people and stray animals crossing at their will. It's always safe to reduce speed while going thro' villages on highways.
Old 3rd November 2011, 15:33   #11
BHPian

Re: 4 cars went on a road trip only 3 returned!

@tazmaan Really glad that nobody was lost or seriously hurt!

I must say, in this age, where people die of the most freak low speed accidents, this is almost a miracle (at least from the pictures!). Yes, the innova is a well engineered and safe vehicle without doubt. But the fact that the other occupants were in the last row and not the middle one, and also fact that the Wagon R passenger(s) survived without the use of seat belt, can safely be linked to pure luck! Anyway, all is well that ends well! Drive safe!

Also, was there any repulsion/threatening from the locals? How did the cops react?
Old 3rd November 2011, 16:10   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post
@tazmaan Really glad that nobody was lost or seriously hurt!

Also, was there any repulsion/threatening from the locals? How did the cops react?
Locals were very helpful and there was absolutely no mayhem(I guess since none of the locals were injured). The situation felt under control and the fact that we were 12 of us our selves made a lot of difference. Further since a lady was driving the cops were very polite. 108 ambulance arrived in 5 mins and tow truck within 10 mins. The cops were at the scene before I could take the next U turn and get to the accident spot (I was in the leading car). The L&T emergency crew got a machine attached to the tractor and cleaned the road of oil within 30 mins.

The Wagon R driver decided to lodge an FIR, my Aunt was arrested and released on bail immediately at the magistrate office. The car is confiscated but my will be released after paying a fine of 2500 by this week. All of this could only happen smoothly because of some contacts and certain other things.

My Aunt hopefully wont have to go back to the court and will have to give a power of attorney to the lawyer as per the lawyer. The entire process took 6 hrs where medical check up was also done for all the occupants in both the cars.
Old 3rd November 2011, 16:13   #13
BHPian

@tazmaan: Thank God! everyone is fine. You must really thank your lucky stars.
More so since the WagonR guy was also safe. I have heard about accidents on the Mum-Pune expressway where the guy in the opposite lane lost his life.

Yeah, the highways are becoming a nightmare but so are our roads in the city. We need some really stiff fines and better policing.

I am planning a trip over the weekend and am really scared now.
Old 3rd November 2011, 16:25   #14
Senior - BHPian

@tazmaan: God is great and its good to hear there have been no serious injuries, besides bruised ego's. This one situation none of us would like to be in and one situation we all dread. Kudos to both the cars the Innova and Wagon R for saving it's occupants from serious injuries.
Old 3rd November 2011, 19:08   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Sorry about the Innova- hurts to see it like that- can't imagine what you as the owners must be going through.
Human beings and all manner of livestock running across blindly is a common sight on our highways- can vouch for this firsthand after my 1800 km Pune-Hampi-Bangalore-Pune trip last week. I am truly glad everyone is OK, though, including the children involved.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks