Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2006, 15:28   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya
your high beam will blind the on-coming traffic

Well... Dare say thats the idea!!.. But Naaaah... It was night when we left Cochin after the T-Bhp meet and I had to get to Coimbatore- I have 100/90 and even with them I could not see... because NO ONE would dip thier lights!. Hope I can put an end to this now! .. I personally find the low beam more than enough unless I find myself driving thru some very dark and desolate stretch all alone.

Quote:
....and think of teh load that will be on your electricals...instead of 10A for your stock headlamps ,your new bulbs will be taking about 25A ....
I have a 30 amp Bosch Relay - is that going to be enough - or do I add one more? (one ofor each light?) I have also put a 30 amp fuse to this - very close to the Battery.

Quote:
also continuous use of teh high beam could melt your stock holders leaving you with no light at all
I bought a PMS wiring Harness - then had it stripped and spliced a 8mm wire in place of the 5mm from the relay to each of the holders. I had bakelite Holders put in place - however these came with 5mm wire so I had no alternative bu to splice these together - Bulk of the way its the 8mm ..

My night time usage wont be more than a couple of hours MAX MAX every once in a while - I absolutely abhor night driving - and avoid it totally unless exteremely necessary!! .. Generally its just the 10 - 15 min city runabouts..

Do you think with all this it will hold out?

Last edited by kb100 : 21st March 2006 at 15:32.
Old 21st March 2006, 15:39   #17
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuppan
Iam a relatively new driver in chennai - 8 Months.
Yesterday i almost hit a lorry and a cow in OMR.
On the Old Mahabalipuram Road (OMR) in Chennai, nothing but experience and a complete knowledge of "what lies where" will help.

Using high beam on this road is not going to help. Drive slowly with low beam and you'll reach your destination safely.

For those not in the know, the OMR is in the process of being converted from a 2 lane road into a 6 lane expressway called the IT Highway. This means that in addition to the road work going on, there is hectic construction activity everywhere.

Have you tried the ECR (East Coast Road) as an alternate route in the evenings? It may be a little longer but is definitely better and safer.

Depending on where you stay and where you work, you have the following options of reaching places on the OMR:

1) Taramani Road (CPT Road) from Madhya Kailash junction and then OMR from SRP Tools junction

2) Velacheri High Road from Concorde Motors junction till Vijayanagar bus terminus and from there

(a) 100 feet road till
(i) SRP Tools junction and then join OMR
(ii) the American school where you turn right and join OMR near the new Lifeline Hospital and the TVS motorcycle showroom.

(b) Velacheri - Tambaram Road till
(i) Pallikaranai where you turn right to join OMR near the Greaves factory opposite Dhanraj Baid Jain College, Thoraipakkam
(ii) Medavakkam where you turn left to join OMR near Sholinganallur checkpost

3) Taramani Road (CPT Road) from Madhya Kailash junction and then right after TIDEL Park to join the ECR where you turn right just before Kart Attack to join OMR

The ECR is the smoothest and safest option of all. Make sure you check out these routes in the morning before venturing out in the evening - you'll understand what I mean.
Old 21st March 2006, 16:28   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100
Well... Dare say thats the idea!!.. But Naaaah... It was night when we left Cochin after the T-Bhp meet and I had to get to Coimbatore- I have 100/90 and even with them I could not see... because NO ONE would dip thier lights!. Hope I can put an end to this now! .. I personally find the low beam more than enough unless I find myself driving thru some very dark and desolate stretch all alone.
I have been using 140/100 with relay and wiring harness for a while now. Even with this there are many who never dip their lights in highways... I am still scratching my head thinking for a good way to make those guy's dip. Hope i should lift my light a little so it directly targets the oncoming drivers eye and fit 100W bulbs to my fogs too..

Anyone who know a better way to make oncoming guy's dip pls advise.
Old 21st March 2006, 16:38   #19
Senior - BHPian

What car do you have this on Sethuram??
Old 21st March 2006, 16:43   #20
BHPian

Quote:
What car do you have this on Sethuram??
I have got a Swift ZXI and faced the problem when i drive through ECR road....
Old 21st March 2006, 16:47   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksethuram
I have got a Swift ZXI and faced the problem when i drive through ECR road....
Have you used this on high beam for estended hours.....?/

Waht holder have you put in? ... and any problem with your reflectors yet?? (you mentioned you have been having this for long....)
Old 21st March 2006, 17:19   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Have you used this on high beam for estended hours.....?/

Waht holder have you put in? ... and any problem with your reflectors yet?? (you mentioned you have been having this for long....)
I had mentioned the configuation in this thread
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...adlight-5.html

yes i have used it for extended hrs but not regularly. I used it 3 times around 7/8 hrs continious in highway. Otherwise i daily use it for 1hr+ in the nights (dim) in city and 2hrs+(mixed) in weekends. I haven't felt any melting or other fading till now.
Old 21st March 2006, 17:56   #23
BHPian

hey guys i drive an 800 so normally the lights are bad i have changed to halogens but it has helped a little when an oncoming car has high beam i flash 3-4 times hopefully 75%of them dip their lights i have antiglare glasses so i dont have much problem some times i would like to use a flash and blind them but hey what can i do?in the states the cop cars have a searchlight near their outside mirror mebbe we shud fix them and point it in the face of those dumb drivers!!hehe what do you say?
hot_rod is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2006, 18:42   #24
Senior - BHPian

Maruthi HAs Glass headlights - no worries there - buy the higest wattage plonk it in there and let em have it!!..

I have had that cop light idea for years now!!... IN fact I think I am just going to action it!

Worst case get myself some insanely powerful handheld torch!
Old 21st March 2006, 19:46   #25
BHPian

in my opinion, even if you fits some super high wattage bulb in your car, you will get disturbed from the oncoming light of decent intensity.
only respite available to you then is that the driver of oncoming car will dip his lights on seeing your light.
but what if he also has the same bulbs in his car too as in your car?!
since they are manufactured, anyone can had them.

so it is better to 'learn' how to cope with such a situation.
it is not a solution to fix higher wattage bulb and blind the oncoming vehicle. if it looses the control then it can even bang in your car head-on.

so think practically, and decide yourself.
revharder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2006, 20:07   #26
Senior - BHPian

Well said rev.... I guess we are all trying and we ARE coping... We are only venting our frustrations out here!.. I had a friend who had 4 extra lights on a bull bar + his 2 headflams + four lights on a frame on his Gypsy roof!!... he used to shuttle a lot between Blr and Kerala - Had one occassion to travel with him ... he would do the civil thing and flash a couple of times... and if the other person did not dip his lights he would flip this swtch and all his lights come on in all its glory!!... BOY you should have seen the alacrity with which things got resoved!! .. I loved it when he did it to the all the "Video Coaches" that used to ply at night with multiple high beams... He had an upgraded Batt, alternator - the works...!

Now we have a rule saying we cannot have a single light above the level of the headlamps...

Last edited by kb100 : 21st March 2006 at 20:09.
kb100 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2006, 10:42   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot_rod
hey guys i drive an 800 so normally the lights are bad i have changed to halogens but it has helped a little when an oncoming car has high beam i flash 3-4 times hopefully 75%of them dip their lights i have antiglare glasses so i dont have much problem some times i would like to use a flash and blind them but hey what can i do?in the states the cop cars have a searchlight near their outside mirror mebbe we shud fix them and point it in the face of those dumb drivers!!hehe what do you say?
Actually the solution is even simpler... and I thought about it and known it to be the perfect solution as welll Just that never got around to do it till date. No need to install costly lights, fiddle with beam height adjustment etc. Keep a small broken/unused mirror in the car... Whenever some moron comes dashing towards you with their high-beam on just pick up the mirror and flash his own headlights in his eyes This is called giving one a taste of his own medicines I can bet you it will be more effective than flashing your headlights.
Old 25th March 2006, 13:28   #28
Senior - BHPian

Ceramic Holders

http://img219.imageshack.us/my.php?i...cholder5rd.jpg

http://img66.imageshack.us/my.php?im...ersides1gp.jpg

http://img100.imageshack.us/my.php?image=base1ok.jpg

have a look folKs!!.. no more worry of melting holders!!
Old 25th March 2006, 13:35   #29
BHPian

Ever tried driving from Trichy to Chennai at night.....Trichy to Dindivanam (after which you hit the 4 lane expressway) is perhaps the worst drive anywhere on the face of this earth....
narrow 2 laned road....Extremely heavy traffic (mostly trucks and crzy bus drivers) and everyone driving at hi-beam with all the buses coming from opposite you trying to overtake the trucks despite seeing you coming and being very close.....it makes a potent and the most terrifying drive experience that one can go through :(
Old 25th March 2006, 13:46   #30
Senior - BHPian

I think a cop light kitted out with an Aircraft Landing Light should do teh trick!! Those bus drivers are abosolute lunatics - esp in Tamil Nadu.. The Coimbatore - Tiruppur Strech has to be "IT" !!... I have had a couple of close shaves DESPITE being at a complete standstill!!

Last edited by kb100 : 25th March 2006 at 13:48.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks