Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2006, 13:06   #1

High Beam - Help Pls.

Iam a relatively new driver in chennai - 8 Months.

Here Most of the on-coming vehicles uses High beams and Iam not able to see anything.

can anyone suggest any mods or any tips to see thru the powerful lights.

Yesterday i almost hit a lorry and a cow in OMR.

BTW... I drive a Santro.
kuppan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2006, 13:38   #2
BHPian

you should switch ON those foglamps in front bumper, if not available in your model, then get them fitted.

switch them on the moment you faces such a situation. also try swapping amidst low and high beams continuously, this can give you some better idea of the road ahead.

also, if you have not noticed yet, that pulling the dipper switch slightly towards you but not fully (when headlight is switched ON), you can have the light from both high and low beam filaments! try it sometime ! this way you can have lights equivalent to 6 (six) bulbs!

and then try to concentrate on NOT looking directly into the oncoming light.

keep an eye on the left shoulder of road, also keep seeing with another eye's edge towards maintaining a gap between the oncoming vehicle too.

also slow down a bit, but not too much coz following vehicle can get panic!

Last edited by revharder : 15th March 2006 at 13:39.
Old 15th March 2006, 15:53   #3
BHPian

This is a problem that most people face whilst driving on the Highways.... surprised to know that people do it in the city. Anyways, this is what I do:

1) I wear anti-glare zero-power glasses while driving in the night. If you already wear spectacles, get the anti-glare done to the same.
2) Like revharder suggested, don't look directly into the lights, use the lights more as a marker as to where the oncoming vehicle is in relation to yours. In such a situation watch out for bullock-carts\bicycles\trucks without tail-lights or reflectors on your left as this is the blind spot and you may hit them.
3) Get your car's lighting changes to 100/90 i.e., should cost you about Rs.600 and get your lights focussed. Use high beam when you don't see anyone coming in the opposite direction and on seeing another vehicle make note of any vehicles or objects on your left and how the road is on your left and then dip your light. This is a gesture to the oncoming driver to dip his lights.... if he doesn't dip, you switch your high beams back on him. (Get the aim right while getting your headlight-focussing doneand give him a piece of his own treatment).

Lastly, remember not to drive with your high-beams on when there is oncoming traffic. You already know how difficult it is for them.

Cheers
Santhosh
Old 15th March 2006, 17:37   #4
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Santro comes with a stock 55W Headlamp get a 90W Xenon look-alike it will give u a bluish tinge plus will be bright enuff for others to dip their highbeams. And the headlight relays are stock so nothing xtra. IF this still doesn't help then learnnnnnnnnnnnnn to drive with highbeams coming in ur eyes ... as we all do that
Old 15th March 2006, 17:52   #5
Senior - BHPian

I think santro has a powerful headlamp......It blinds most on road...n u say the other way...
Old 15th March 2006, 18:13   #6
Senior - BHPian

Here is what I do.
I generally show pass light to oncoming vehicle 3 to 4 times hoping that they will realise that they are using high beam & switch to low beam. Which many drivers thankfully do.

If not then drive with eyes on lower left side. But keep an eye on right lower side too, otherwise chances are you will crash into oncoming vehicle itself.

Whenever possible drive from left most lane. Specially on highway very useful. Keep your driving speed relatively low in night time.
Old 15th March 2006, 18:36   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aZa
Santro comes with a stock 55W Headlamp get a 90W Xenon look-alike it will give u a bluish tinge plus will be bright enuff for others to dip their highbeams. And the headlight relays are stock so nothing xtra. IF this still doesn't help then learnnnnnnnnnnnnn to drive with highbeams coming in ur eyes ... as we all do that
What do the 90-100w xenon knockoffs cost? Will they fit right in without any other electrical mods
Old 16th March 2006, 01:26   #8
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Yaar Xenon knockoffs vary depending on the brand ... i got hella ones for 700Rs a Pair, Chinese and taiwanese models cost aroun 150-350Rs. No mods needed its in H4 Built so fits right in the slot.
Old 16th March 2006, 01:48   #9
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for your reply Aza.

Another thread discussing lighting @
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...adlight-5.html
Old 16th March 2006, 03:23   #10
Senior - BHPian

Like i have mentioned before on another thread.. i am running 120/100 super white halogens on my esteem.. if some one uses high beam i will first flash a few times to let the other person know that he is using high beam and if he still does not switch to low beam then i switch to high beam myself... then its really amusing to see the other vehicle switch to low beam almost immediately.. get one of those very helpful in putting the point across.... also ummm make sure the lights are focussed a little bit upwards... not much but on highbeams it makes an impact..

take care
Old 16th March 2006, 19:27   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S@~+#0$#

1) I wear anti-glare zero-power glasses while driving in the night. If you already wear spectacles, get the anti-glare done to the same.
this is a myth.
antiglare glasses are and advantage over normal glasses. not over naked eye.

you need "antiglare windscreen" , since the glare is created by small scratches/paticles on the windscreen.
Old 16th March 2006, 19:51   #12
DRC
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k
this is a myth.
antiglare glasses are and advantage over normal glasses. not over naked eye.

you need "antiglare windscreen" , since the glare is created by small scratches/paticles on the windscreen.
remember, God gave you a pair of antiglare eyes . so what glares is your windscreen and the glass itself. Keep the windscreen clean
Old 16th March 2006, 21:18   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather
.. i am running 120/100 super white halogens on my esteem..
Godfather .. 120/100... odd number!.. What make are these? where did you buy them and how much do they cost - I am in need of something like this to do something like that!!
Old 21st March 2006, 14:44   #14
Senior - BHPian

Folks... Just upgraded to GE 140/100s!!/.... got them for 225 a pair...!! Now off to get myself some bakelite holders! Cant wait!!

Wonder if there is a 200/100 heh heh heh - who knows - an appetizing thought thoug!
Old 21st March 2006, 14:47   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100
Folks... Just upgraded to GE 140/100s!!/.... !

your high beam will blind the on-coming traffic ....and think of teh load that will be on your electricals...instead of 10A for your stock headlamps ,your new bulbs will be taking about 25A ....also continuous use of teh high beam could melt your stock holders leaving you with no light at all

good luck
speedsatya is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks