Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2012, 21:18   #1
Senior - BHPian

Request from a pedestrian

Request from a pedestrian to all drivers: PLEASE use your horns as little as possible. To me - esp since I also drive - it not only hurts my ears, but also betrays in you some sort of fear or anxiety, combined with a sense of loss of control over your vehicle.

Instead - try using the accelerator, brake, clutch combo thats very useful and effective in controlling the vehicle. Oh, and add some patience to it - I have complete right of way.
zenx is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 10th January 2012, 21:26   #2
BHPian

^^ +100 to that.I personally ALWAYS wait till the pedestriants cross, especially women children and old people and care 3 hoots for idiots who honk while I halt. It is high time we indians show some traffic and civic sense. It's not rocket science after all!
ironshark is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th January 2012, 21:35   #3
Senior - BHPian

Re: Request from a pedestrian

And its not just for pedestrian crossings - but for all the driving one does on the road. There are folks outside who's ears do not have the benefit of the awesome sound-proofing one's car might have. And trust me, it doesn't really solve anything and just adds to road rage. Try using the horn like it costs money - and you'll find you drive more relaxed
Old 10th January 2012, 21:50   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenx View Post
Request from a pedestrian to all drivers: PLEASE use your horns as little as possible.
Not only a request from a pedestrian but also from a driver. Nice apt topic Sameer.

In India, we've lost the meaning or sense of the word HORN. Horn is a part of our driving. We use it to show frustration, anger, impatience and what have we.

Not to feel proud but I rarely use horn. Not to follow any etiquette or civic sense. Horn has no meaning in this country.
Rudra Sen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th January 2012, 21:51   #5
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
and add some patience to it - I have complete right of way.
Is this true? Can a person cross a road at any point abiding to her/his whim?
dot is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th January 2012, 21:59   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Yep. The driver of the object that can cause the damage must take responsibility for the safety of those around. I live off the narrow Haralur Road - and folks hurtle past me and other pedestrians at 60+ even when there's lots of people and 2 way traffic. (There's no pavement)
Old 10th January 2012, 22:03   #7
Senior - BHPian

Agree, But a counter request from a driver to pedestrians.
Please don't jay walk with that earphone in your ears. Please look for oncoming traffic and use zebra crossings if possible. If you suddenly jump on to the road from behind a vehicle or a bushy median, surely I am going to lose control over my vehicle.
To me sometimes horn serves as a wonderful tool to wake up jaywalkers.

Last edited by poloman : 10th January 2012 at 22:06.
poloman is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 10th January 2012, 22:06   #8
Team-BHP Support

A pedestrian may have the right of way, but that doesn't mean he can walk across the middle of the road as he pleases.

As a pedestrian, I know the woes of walking in congested city limits. The pavement is never even, there are hawkers taking your space everywhere, and then you have to deal with all the honking and pollution.

But at the same time, as someone who drives often, I know the woes of a driver in a city like Bangalore, where people just cross the road whenever they please, without adequate warning or attentiveness.

I might be in a car, but I will be at fault if you act like a dimwit and walk across the road without looking, just because you like what you see on the other side of the road.

Just as much as drivers of vehicles, pedestrians have no compassion and common sense for the other road users.

On an empty road, you would be daft if you attempt to dart across the road, even when you know that there are vehicles coming right at you, and at speed. Think about it, 4-5 vehicles will have to hit the brakes simultaneously, just because of that daredevil on feet who runs across the road, and then grins like he has accomplished a feat (perhaps he has )

This is an appeal, not just to errant pedestrians, but also to all drivers. Everyone has issues. Driving on crowded streets is not easy, and walking is even harder. Show a little compassion to ALL fellow road users.

If a pedestrian expresses interest in crossing the road, don't try and challenge him by revving the nuts off your car and giving him something to think about at night. And pedestrians, please think twice before pouring into streets, and jaywalking aimlessly. It seriously confuses people behind wheels of cars, and it's your life that's at risk at the end of the day.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 10th January 2012 at 22:10.
suhaas307 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 10th January 2012, 22:10   #9
Senior - BHPian

I walk a lot. Trust me, most pedestrians are not walking with earphones. Most, at any point in time, are walking alongside - not across the road. The kind of honking one experiences cannot be explained by instances of jaywalking that you described.

In any case, in urban contexts (not expressways/ring roads etc), the whole notion of "jaywalking" is screwed up. Try walking along some of the roads - you have no other options but the road. Also, roads in urban areas were always multi-use, and the sense of entitlement reserved for one kind of use is in the wrong direction. NMT is as important to factor in, and that means either enforced ultra-low speeds or primary responsibility of safety shifting to vehicles.

I drive for days together without using the horn. Trust me, honking does nothing except release anxiety. Better control using the car's mechanicals, and recognizing and being within appropriate limits (speed, lane switching, etc) for various traffic situations is a far better solution.

Most people at any point of time are NOT honking at pedestrians - but other "morons" (thats how most of us seem to think of anyone driving slower than us) on the road itself. Its pointless, and hurts my ears as I walk on the pavement beside the road. The whole people-crossing-the-road line of reasoning is a red herring as far as the original point of this thread goes.

Edit: Useful read : http://www.carfreeinbigd.com/2009/10...aywalking.html

Last edited by zenx : 10th January 2012 at 22:29. Reason: Added a useful link
Old 10th January 2012, 22:11   #10
BHPian

Quote:
I have complete right of way.
You do. But only if you are using the zebra crossing and that too when you have a green signal. And by you I don't mean you, zenx, who I am sure follows traffic rules, just like I and most other tbhpians do, I mean those reckless jaywalkers who assume that it is their birthright to cross the road at their whim. I have to use my horn when I see morons crossing the road at their whim, you see, I care about their lives and physical well being more than they do. Jaywalking is a crime in most civilized countries and it's about time we too evolved.
Astleviz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2012, 22:12   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
I am sure if the drivers follow the pedestrians will follow. At any point in time anyone can be both. Very true OP.
Old 10th January 2012, 22:12   #12
Team-BHP Support

I don't think (or feel) that this thread should only be from a pedestrian's point.
It's the use of that HORN we do so indiscriminately. Sameer, please correct me if I'm wrong.
Rudra Sen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th January 2012, 22:16   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astleviz View Post
You do. But only if you are using the zebra crossing and that too when you have a green signal. And by you I don't mean you, zenx, who I am sure follows traffic rules, just like I and most other tbhpians do, I mean those reckless jaywalkers who assume that it is their birthright to cross the road at their whim. I have to use my horn when I see morons crossing the road at their whim, you see, I care about their lives and physical well being more than they do. Jaywalking is a crime in most civilized countries and it's about time we too evolved.
Actually - a lot of Europe is moving to pedestrian-primary (and next, cyclists) right of way rules. Jaywalking ceases to have any meaning in this context, and the onus of safety moves to the ones who can actually cause the damage, which is logical.

Rudra - bingo! Except that those outside of enclosed vehicles bear the brunt of the noise.

Last edited by zenx : 10th January 2012 at 22:17.
Old 10th January 2012, 22:17   #14
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

101% - Am with you buddy.
Same goes for cyclists as well.

Quote:
Request from a pedestrian to all drivers: PLEASE use your horns as little as possible. To me - esp since I also drive - it not only hurts my ears, but also betrays in you some sort of fear or anxiety, combined with a sense of loss of control over your vehicle.

Instead - try using the accelerator, brake, clutch combo thats very useful and effective in controlling the vehicle. Oh, and add some patience to it - I have complete right of way.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2012, 22:23   #15
Senior - BHPian

I give a small honk while passing a auto or a two wheeler. You never know when they suddenly veer towards your lane.
Some drivers at a jam think the guys in front are idiots and keep honking as if they just parked their car in the middle of the road.
Un-necessary honking and the resulting noise pollution can be mostly avoided but cannot be eliminated totally, you are part of a chaotic (and idiotic) system.
srishiva is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks