Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2012, 07:49   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Request from a pedestrian

Rudra - yeah - had read that - and had thanked you for that. That was spot-on.
Old 11th January 2012, 08:22   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380 View Post
While I hate honking, how do I tell that moron driving in middle lane on ORR, with the OVRMs folded that you want to overtake him? There is a 100% chance that do will do a right turn without any signal whatsoever.
How do I awake that fool who is riding towards me in wrong lane talking on mobile?
@akshay380 I know where you coming from. However, over time, I have realized a few things.

1. There are all kinds of drivers on the road. Old ones, new ones, those with car issues, health issues, etc. Someone might have a need to go slow that doesn't make him/her a moron/idiotic.

2. Most drive at 40-50+ in the city now. Adequate speeds to not lose one's patience going behind.

3. Hold an overtaking position and use the mechanicals to go past when the opportunity arises. I do this very regularly - needs downshifts and being near peak/good torque in my OHC but works well. Rarely need to honk.

Moron coming down the wrong side - switch to a further lane if possible. Else drive right in front, stop and give an earful Trust me, everyone on a vehicle has gotten immune to honking now - pretty much zero impact.

Last edited by zenx : 11th January 2012 at 08:25.
zenx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2012, 08:33   #33
Senior - BHPian

@Zenx

I fully agree with you about the thoughts of a pedestrian. Although lot many times I am peeved by the fact that the zebra cossings at most signals are occupied by 2 wheelers, ricks, cars and every other vehicle just waiting to slam the accelerator poor pedestrian has to make the way for himself and in many situations scurry to the other end of the road lest in the fear of being knocked down or run over by the f1 like drivers.

When I am the pedestrian on many occassions have to show the hand signal for the oncoming vehicle to stop knowing that its my turn to walk when the signal is red. And there are morons who keep honking for no reason at all when they see the pedestrians crossing urging them to make mistakes.
Old 11th January 2012, 08:49   #34
BHPian

This is what I love about TBHPians.
There is always something to talk about and discuss. One of the very interesting thing pointed out here.
Though average Janta seems to honking even in 'no honking zones'. Phew!!!
Since I started my love for vehicles from RD350, horn is the least part I ever used on it. Infact most of the time it was disconnected my RD being on points. I always preferred to zoom past taking advantage of its torque rather than to keep honking and wait for the pass. The same practice continued with my drive. Frankly, honking my drive is something which would irritate me more than the person for whom I am honking.

I have never been to abroad but have read alot what Horns are for and how honking is seen abroad as a source of insult.
nomadabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2012, 08:50   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenx View Post
Moron coming down the wrong side -... drive right in front, stop and give an earful ..
Even the earful is not required. I often just stop in front of him. I have RoW there, since I am on my side of the road. He has no option but to get back to his side. And the honking is taken care of by the people behind me

Non-violent, Silent, yet effective.
condor is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th January 2012, 08:52   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Non-violent, Silent, yet effective.
Huge like Done right, especially with a smile, very very effective.
Old 11th January 2012, 08:58   #37
BHPian

Quote:
@akshay380 I know where you coming from. However, over time, I have realized a few things.

1. There are all kinds of drivers on the road. Old ones, new ones, those with car issues, health issues, etc. Someone might have a need to go slow that doesn't make him/her a moron/idiotic.

2. Most drive at 40-50+ in the city now. Adequate speeds to not lose one's patience going behind.

3. ....needs downshifts and being near peak/good torque in my OHC but works well. Rarely need to honk.

Moron coming down the wrong side - switch to a further lane if possible. Else drive right in front, stop and give an earful Trust me, everyone on a vehicle has gotten immune to honking now - pretty much zero impact.
Sameer saar, re pt1, you missed the word *folded OVRMs*. Not using that is an absolute nonsense no? For eg a cabbie or a construction truck?
re pt 3, I dont have the privilege of downshifting :( I ride a automatic Honda Dio
re last bit, I ride slow 40-45km max and other vehicles will run over me if I ride in lanes other than leftmost(shared with those coming from opposite direction).
All this rant does not mean, I honk but these are real life situations so posted here.

Last edited by akshay380 : 11th January 2012 at 08:59.
Old 11th January 2012, 23:35   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. A lot many people did not read the post/get the context. I repeat, MOST honking is not motorist->pedestrian, but motorist->motorist. I'm not talking about vehicle-pedestrian intersections, lawful or otherwise (though I have differing views on that) at all - but about the pointless noise generated, when better use of the car's capabilities (read better driving) would do instead. Hurts the ears needlessly
I don't think that was your initial idea to start this thread, however I will give it a pass.

Quote:
And to all those who say its NOT possible to drive in Bangalore safely without the use of the horn, I strongly disagree. Try it - I got into this mode since I started cycling and it has worked beautifully for me and I do not take more time than earlier.
You were cycling, you don't have a horn, even when you do in your car, the horn has become a basic safety feature. AFAIK, the horn is the most basic safety equipment in every Indian vehicle and it should be used just for that. We will always keep honking, who is going to stop us ? Why do you even want to compare India with Denmark ? There is nothing to compare, let us be ourselves and try to improve on that, no denmark or spain please.We need excessive intereference in everything zenx, no attack at you, but we cannot become europeans or americans and we don't need to as well, as only the educated can even hope to aspire, what about the rest 95% ?
esteem_lover is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th January 2012, 23:44   #39
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post

You were cycling, you don't have a horn, even when you do in your car, the horn has become a basic safety feature. AFAIK, the horn is the most basic safety equipment in every Indian vehicle and it should be used just for that. We will always keep honking, who is going to stop us ? Why do you even want to compare India with Denmark ? There is nothing to compare, let us be ourselves and try to improve on that, no denmark or spain please.We need excessive intereference in everything zenx, no attack at you, but we cannot become europeans or americans and we don't need to as well, as only the educated can even hope to aspire, what about the rest 95% ?
+1

Comparing India to Denmark is quite silly.

The population of one metro-city in our country would be equal to that of the entire country of Denmark. A country like Denmark or Spain does has a population that is easily controllable. There are far fewer people to monitor, and this makes life easier.

But in a crowded city like Bangalore, a police man can catch an offender, but 3 other offenders will be able to get away.

Civic sense needs to instilled. That's the ONLY way. And education can do this. Yes, I know. Even the educated break rules and what have you. But for every 5 idiots who breaks the law, there is a citizen who chooses not to. And people are becoming more and more aware, IMO.
Old 11th January 2012, 23:59   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Request from a pedestrian to all drivers: PLEASE use your horns as little as possible. To me - esp since I also drive - it not only hurts my ears, but also betrays in you some sort of fear or anxiety, combined with a sense of loss of control over your vehicle.

Instead - try using the accelerator, brake, clutch combo thats very useful and effective in controlling the vehicle. Oh, and add some patience to it - I have complete right of way.
Very apt post. I must admit, I'm both the guilty party and the victim here. When I drive in India, I can think of a zillion and one reasons for honking, and when I walk, I can think of a few zillion reasons to show my ire against rash arrogant motorists.

Im guilty of double standards, but I agree with you whole heartedly that it does betray some anxiety or fear if one uses the horn all the time.

Over the years, I've noticed that me having a pleasant drive is influenced more by me keeping my cool, rather than letting extraneous factors affect me. And when I do keep my cool, I automatically am a better driver, in the sense that:
I don't feel the urge to race with every other motorist
I don't mind if I'm forced to wait a couple of moments to give right of way to some pedestrians
I don't change lanes like a maniac
I don't feel the need to brake abruptly and do wheelspins of every traffic light
I don't need to honk at all the other bozos out there

And yeah, I definitely am more relaxed and calm when I finally reach my destination. So all in all, a win win situation for me.
Old 12th January 2012, 08:21   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
What i meant was, since I started cycling, i've stopped using the horn altogether on my motorbike and car. Obviously, no option on the cycle.

My contention is honking is making roads less safe - its contribution to hypertension and road rage is huge. And its rampant usage is insensitive to those outside - a significant population around here. What about them?

Since we're picking up the "fast roads and cars" model blindly from the US, no harm in learning some things that Europe has learned - especially the more "human" ones, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Civic sense needs to instilled. That's the ONLY way. And education can do this.
Exactly what i'm pleading for. Some civic sense.

Last edited by zenx : 12th January 2012 at 08:22.
Old 12th January 2012, 11:29   #42
Senior - BHPian

When I drive the car, I hardly use the horn for motorist to motorist communication. If at all it is required, I use small beeps rather than big honks.

But most of my loud honking happens towards the pedestrians. Thats because the laws in India are highly biased against the person driving the car. God forbid, if I happen to hit a pedestrian (for no fault of mine), my whole life could be spoilt in court proceedings.

So whenever a pedestrian tries to make a move that it uncalled for, I use the horn liberally to save his life and my life. It may sound rude and inhuman, but works for me.

Car drivers always go to heaven (because they save at least 15-20 pedestrian lives daily).

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2012, 12:07   #43
BANNED

Quote:
Oh, and add some patience to it - I have complete right of way.
"The pedestrian have right of way at any pedestrian crossings (Zebra crossing). When a solid yellow or white line is painted on road at pedestrian crossing no driver shall drive a motor vehicle so that part thereof projects beyond that line."
Traffic Rules In India

"RIGHT OF WAY TO PEDESTRIAN
If the driver is not going straight but turning left, right or making a U–turn, he must give way to any pedestrian at or near the intersection on the road the driver is entering.

A driver approaching a pedestrian crossing must drive at a speed at which the driver can, if necessary, stop safely before the crossing.

A driver must give way to any pedestrian on a pedestrian crossing.

A driver approaching a pedestrian crossing, must not overtake or pass a vehicle that is traveling in the same direction.

Driver turning right from a road into a road-related area giving way to an oncoming vehicle that is going straight ahead and to a pedestrian on the footpath."
Chandigarh traffic police, promoting road safety, traffic safety, India road signs & rules, safe responsible driving, first aid India.

Hope this helps clarify the right of way of a pedestrian.

Have seen people walking on the side of a busy road in a - - - - - formation taking up quite a bit of the road talking and having fun instead of following one another. Sometimes they do this when a pavement exists. Wonder why? Aren't they scared for their lives?

Its Rule # 19 in this PDF file that most pedestrians abide by. Most motorists aint far behind either in following the rules laid down in this PDF.
http://www.neubauplan.com/Peoples%20Traffic%20Rules.pdf

I don't honk unless its very necessary. Recently i have observed during my short daily commute to office that people have evolved overall. Most don't honk unnecessarily and when they do its usually coz of an errant biker (or a pedestrian of course) not using their mirror, its peaceful. Two laned highway commute on NH47 is a different story.

Imo in India both motorists and pedestrians need to evolve if they want to live in perfect harmony.
Sankar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th January 2012, 12:18   #44
Senior - BHPian

You know, i try to do my bit for the pedestrians, by letting them cross the road if they are already standing in the middle of the road and i am certain that no one behind me is blinded by me.
But what really gets to me is when the pedestrians start crossing the road at an angle to the road! See any animal cross the road. Be it a dog, a cow or a chicken! They all cross the road perpendicular to the direction of traffic. If animals know how to cross a road, why dont humans??
Old 12th January 2012, 13:50   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
If animals know how to cross a road, why dont humans??
Because humans have studied geometry in school. The sum of any 2 sides of a triangle is always larger than the third side. Hence, humans try to take the shortest route (diagonal to the road).

People are born intelligent, education spoils them.

On a serious note, the kind of pedestrians which get on my nerve are:
1. The ones not crossing the road in a perpendicular direction (as explained in previous post by amitoj)
2. The ones who dart across the road without any regard for traffic
3. The ones who purposely hide behind bushes and suddenly appear out of nowhere to launch a surprise attack
4. The ones who cross 3/4th of the road at great speed, then take their own sweet time to cross the remaining 1/4th
5. The ones who cross half way and then return
6. The one who keep confusing others by taking one step forward and one step backward several times
7. The ones who show you the hand as if they were the traffic police
8. The ones who keep talking on the mobile with no awareness of the surroundings
9. The ones who occupy half of the road because all of them have to walk shoulder to shoulder
10. The ones who prefer to walk on the road even when a footpath is freely available

Rohan

Most Viewed