Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th January 2012, 09:01   #16
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)
Re: Chennai Bangalore Expressway - Proposed

Doesnt that simply join back with the main Highway as of now?
News to me that this new NICE road exists all the way to Mysore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
After Kanakpura exit on the NICE and before Mysore road exit, you should see a big structure with an exit for Mysore.
This is the supposed express-way exit. But how far that road runs, I have no idea.
Old 16th January 2012, 12:08   #17
Senior - BHPian

The new expressway will cut across AP according to the proposal, that will create problems with checkposts and taxes. The toll rates of the NICE range would mean about 800/- one way. Considering the expressway will begin and end outside both cities, I doubt this will be economical. A NICE expressway BLR-MYS will be unbelievably expensive, already toll rates on NICE are around 3 Rs/km ,will work out to about 500 bucks one way.
Old 16th January 2012, 21:06   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
The new expressway will cut across AP according to the proposal, that will create problems with checkposts and taxes. The toll rates of the NICE range would mean about 800/- one way. Considering the expressway will begin and end outside both cities, I doubt this will be economical. A NICE expressway BLR-MYS will be unbelievably expensive, already toll rates on NICE are around 3 Rs/km ,will work out to about 500 bucks one way.
For Occasional travellers (taking me as an example), I dont mind paying Rs 500/- toll from Bangalore to Mysore provided the following are ensured.
  • Realistic speed limit of at least 120 kmph on the right most lane.
  • Enforcement of slow traffic on left lanes only
  • Strictly No two-wheelers, be it a TVS 50 or a Harley.
  • Full fencing to ensure villagers / tractors etc dont sway on to the expressway.
  • Smart Card / Radio based Toll system (Similar to US EZEEPASS) where i can recharge prepaid for use on Hosur road - Mysore road NICE and/or Bangalore Mysore NICE Road.
  • Feasibility of an Online purchase of Toll Tickets (Barcoded Receipt can be given at the very least, which can be used at toll plazas).
Old 16th January 2012, 21:26   #19
Senior - BHPian

I understand that convenience and focus on speed come at a cost. The problem is that only cost is a guarantee, the rest will be like a typical toll operation. 3 Rs/km to the outskirts of any city today is too expensive, modifying existing highways to have full length service roads, fencing and underpasses will help increasing average speeds. Also, getting rid of 2 wheelers and tractors will reduce accidents to a large extent.
Old 17th January 2012, 08:56   #20
BHPian

Quote:
After Kanakpura exit on the NICE and before Mysore road exit, you should see a big structure with an exit for Mysore.
This is the supposed express-way exit.
well, the ramps are done for the mysore exit. Good work

Quote:
But how far that road runs, I have no idea.
you take the ramp, get on to the main road above and voila, road stops there.Hardly a distance of 200 m.

I am really clueless as to why the folks haven't blocked the entry ramp. Daily, I can see 1 or 2 motorists taking the ramp, hoping to reach Mysore soon, only to see the blocked road and then drive on the wrong way to rejoin the NICE road.
joecherian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2012, 10:00   #21
BHPian

Quote:

On the expressway between Chennai-BLR, the plan has been there for a long time. But I am not sure how acute is the need. On the GQ side the problem areas are BLR-Krishnagiri and Chennai-Kanchi.
Hi, sorry to differ but i feel the real problem in the exisiting GQ strech is between Vellore and Krishnagiri.

Reasons being 1) Pedestrians crossing abruptly
2) Wrong side driving very common in this stretch

Chennai - Kanchi stretch to an extent is because of traffic but it is not all that bad. Krishnagiri - BLR again the ghats section is just about good and no real issues other than reckless driving we encounter
Old 17th January 2012, 10:37   #22
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Pipe dreams dear boy, pipe dreams.
If such is implemented, we will be witness to hartals, morchas and burnings and what have you. Medha Patkar or someone equally important might turn up and squeak a lot about the downtrodden and their rights etc. Dont want another Mullaperiyar or Tehri on our hands do we?
Lack of political will in Karnataka will ensure that atleast for the next 7-10 years we will be driving to Mysore/ Coorg/ Ooty on that same highway.
Pessimistic? Yes certainly I am. But I do believe, with good reason on account of the Karnataka Government's track record these last 25 odd years!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
For Occasional travellers (taking me as an example), I dont mind paying Rs 500/- toll from Bangalore to Mysore provided the following are ensured.
  • Realistic speed limit of at least 120 kmph on the right most lane.
  • Enforcement of slow traffic on left lanes only
  • Strictly No two-wheelers, be it a TVS 50 or a Harley.
  • Full fencing to ensure villagers / tractors etc dont sway on to the expressway.
  • Smart Card / Radio based Toll system (Similar to US EZEEPASS) where i can recharge prepaid for use on Hosur road - Mysore road NICE and/or Bangalore Mysore NICE Road.
  • Feasibility of an Online purchase of Toll Tickets (Barcoded Receipt can be given at the very least, which can be used at toll plazas).
Old 17th January 2012, 15:22   #23
Senior - BHPian

the existing GQ section widening work is already going on. I think they are making it 6 lane now. The toll has been also increased IIRC, Now there are two rs60 tolls before and after krisnagiri, it was lower before.
Old 17th January 2012, 16:45   #24
Senior - BHPian

I'll tonsure my head if this happens (not that there's much hair left anyways!).

It will meet the same objection as the proposed High Speed rail corridor. "80% to 90% of the road will only benefit TN & AP." "No great value to Karnataka". "Road should be extended to Mysore/Hubli/Tumkur/Belgaum/Shimoga (depending on CM)".

Also how can it be only 250 kms? Using Latitude and Longitude and the Great Circle Formula, (blatantly using Google Maps Distance Calculator in other words) the distance is 289 kms approximately.

I'll treat this news with a pinch of salt!!
csentil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2012, 23:19   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Pipe dreams dear boy, pipe dreams.
If such is implemented, we will be witness to hartals, morchas and burnings and what have you. Medha Patkar or someone equally important might turn up and squeak a lot about the downtrodden and their rights etc. Dont want another Mullaperiyar or Tehri on our hands do we?
Lack of political will in Karnataka will ensure that atleast for the next 7-10 years we will be driving to Mysore/ Coorg/ Ooty on that same highway.
Pessimistic? Yes certainly I am. But I do believe, with good reason on account of the Karnataka Government's track record these last 25 odd years!
I am happy that at least Govt is proposing this and considering Japanese to build the same. This is a project that will benefit the average middle class and not for the Vote bank class only. All schemes are farmer friendly, SC/ST friendly. There is nothing govt does for the average tax payer.

I am happy at least Govt is thinking on those lines. I am sure the expressway is not being built for farmers along the expressway / tractors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csentil View Post
Also how can it be only 250 kms?
I think they are going to build 250kms of expressway between chennai and bangalore. It need not start from the heart of the city. Even if they build an expressway from Hoskote to SIPCOT Sriperumbudur, it would be still called a Chn-BLR expressway.

Last edited by scopriobharath : 17th January 2012 at 23:33.
Old 18th January 2012, 15:02   #26
Senior - BHPian

Maximum time wastage is up till Sriperumbudur from Chennai. If they can get rid of existing encroachments, lay down better quality road (which does not buckle under heat/weight) it would be a much better option.

Everytime I cross Sriperumbudur, I have to keep my fingers crossed on how soon I would hit the city.
Old 20th January 2012, 15:22   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I normally take the Ashok Kheny created - NICE road from the Hosur Road in Bangalore, cross the Bannerghatta area with Gottigere on my right and the road to the Big Rock on my left and go right upto the exit on the Mysore Road when I go in that direction. The rest of the highway to Mysore is the old highway which has been 4 laned these last 6 years ago or so but which still goes through all those horrid little towns like Bidadi, Ramnagaram, Channapatna, Maddur, Mandya etc with their unruly traffic and even more unruly characters who kick up a ruckus every now and then.
Agreed.. The Mysore - Bangalore highway is now loaded with Speed Breakers which significantly reduce the speed and traffic in the intermediate towns is completely unpredictable. I cant think any less than 25 speedbreakers in thsi stretch of 140kms. Even paying Rs. 500 for a true expressway would be cheaper than plying on this road.
My trip to Coimbatore gave me a mileage of 14kmpl while the mysore trip lowered it down by 25% to 10.5kmpl.
Old 20th January 2012, 15:29   #28
BHPian

Quote:
I'll tonsure my head if this happens !!

If it happens, it has to happen inspite of the (Karnataka) politicians.

Now that the Japanese have agreed to fund it, there is some light at the end of the tunnel.
Old 20th January 2012, 18:30   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Maximum time wastage is up till Sriperumbudur from Chennai. If they can get rid of existing encroachments, lay down better quality road (which does not buckle under heat/weight) it would be a much better option.

Everytime I cross Sriperumbudur, I have to keep my fingers crossed on how soon I would hit the city.
With the development in an around chennai you should see a 40kmph speed limit enforced till SIPCOT maybe in a couple of months. If Sriperumbudur comes under the "Madras/Chennai" umbrella, the city speed limit would apply. Given Me, I start very early 5:00 am types, so even if till sriperumbudur is crowded, the highspeed expressway till B'lore/mysore will motivate many.

Quote:
Originally Posted by recker_us View Post
Agreed.. The Mysore - Bangalore highway is now loaded with Speed Breakers which significantly reduce the speed and traffic in the intermediate towns is completely unpredictable. I cant think any less than 25 speedbreakers in thsi stretch of 140kms. Even paying Rs. 500 for a true expressway would be cheaper than plying on this road.
My trip to Coimbatore gave me a mileage of 14kmpl while the mysore trip lowered it down by 25% to 10.5kmpl.
Really True and Agree. I am ready to pay 750, if i am given a road of international standards and where vehicles are prioritized over pedestrians and tractors. This will definetly see a dharna by Maddurians and Channapatnayans, Ramanagarans etc but someone should explain that if this mysore expressway is built, the existing B'lore-Mysore would be free from traffic, which would cater to people going to ramangara, maddur etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempelhof View Post
If it happens, it has to happen inspite of the (Karnataka) politicians.
Now that the Japanese have agreed to fund it, there is some light at the end of the tunnel.
I hope Japanese bring in Japanese technology for users once the highway is built. I am looking forward to see things like Online purchase of toll ticket, Unlimited validy of ticket, EZEEPASS like IR controlled toll deduction (prepaid card) etc. I dont know if i am dreaming but still

Last but not the least i hope they dont keep increasing the toll citing rupee fall Vs Yen

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks