Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2013, 08:01   #91
BHPian

I faced road rage a few momths back in Mysore.
I was waiting at a traffic signal on the right side lane in my Santro and an apè goods auto driver who was a couple of cars behind me was squeezing in through the traffic waiting at the signal. As he passed next to me, he casually rubs against my left fender and carries on forward! There was a loud sound and a traffic cop saw it too. I ask him to pull over and two people got down from it. An angry autodriver and a meek fellow. The driver comes upto me and i show him the scrapes all over my fender. He says i can't do anything. Go and claim insurance and he turns around and starts walking away!
I took out my cellphone and took a pic of his number plate and told him that i will file a hit and run case if he does not get it fixed now. The cop who saw the incident comes in now and asks what is going on. I tell him how the driver is behaving and ask the cop to be my witness. This enrages the driver and he comes taking long strides towards me and stands an inch away from my chest n glares down at me!(he was taller than me) he shouts at me in kannada "hogo lo! Adhenu maadkonthiya maadko! Naanu nodthini" meaning "go. Do what you want. Even i will see" i calmly reply fine and ask the cop to get into my car as we are going to the police station with proof as photo and he was the witness.
Now the other guy who was in the auto comes over and says "sir sir, please sir. I will get it fixed sir. Please don't make it a police case sir" i was surprised when i came to know this man was the owner of the auto!
I asked him to come with me to the showroom and he takes out 300bucks and keeps it in my hand and asks me to leave him! I said "idhu cycle alla" meaning my car isn't a cycle to get it repaired with 300bucks. The cop also asks me to accept it!
I didn't want to make the issue any bigger so i told the owner to teach his driver some manners or he will surely land him in trouble and drove away.

Last edited by sharc_biker : 29th April 2013 at 08:13.
Old 29th April 2013, 21:04   #92
Senior - BHPian

Re: Another Road-Rage Incident in Bangalore !

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharc_biker View Post
"hogo lo! Adhenu maadkonthiya maadko! Naanu nodthini"
Intimidation tactics. They believe that people in cars are very meek and wouldn't oppose an autowala. And speaking in an aggressive manner is just a way for them for them to mask their shortcomings. Whereas in reality, they'll be shaking in their boots hoping you don't go to the cops.

OT: He asked you to claim Insurance. But isn't third party Insurance for that very reason, to pay up if you damage someone else's vehicle? How do we claim Insurance using the offending party's insurance instead of claiming using our own and increasing our premiums?
Old 29th April 2013, 21:29   #93
Senior - BHPian

Such morons are plenty everywhere. Recently I faced a situation. I was taking a right turn at the signal and as I approach the road I wanted to take, I see a WagonR stopped in my lane waiting for his signal to turn green. How on earth I would continue on my route if he has parked his vehicle in wrong lane?

When I blinked my headlights to let him know that he is blocking my way, this gentleman continued playing with his girlfirned's hair. When I people behind me started honking, I patiently waved at him to make him understand that he is blocking my way. Still this fellow continued chit chatting with his GF. Then finally I started honking to which he arrogantly waved at me as to roll on my car on him and then we will see. I was shocked for a second and since I was with my family, I made my way just about an inch from his left which was a wrong side for me to enter the lane.

When I reached to a point when I can make an eye contact, this fellow was laughing in a way that he has won an award. To add insult to an injury his car was sporting a sticker of a prominent IT company in Pune.

My dad kept saying me to ignore such a monkey and keep rolling. Later in the rear view mirror I saw that couple of bikers got off and started kicking his driver side door and his GF's window. And then this guy freaked out and disappeared.

I wonder which world these idiots are living. Following traffic rules and civic discipline is NOT an insult. They are sketched out for your and other's safety.
May GOD bless them with some grey material in their brain.
Old 29th April 2013, 22:26   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
But isn't third party Insurance for that very reason, to pay up if you damage someone else's vehicle? How do we claim Insurance using the offending party's insurance instead of claiming using our own and increasing our premiums?
According to insurance rules, one can claim from more than one insurance company if he is eligible to do so. The insurance companies will divide and bear the loss. AFAIK, the process and procedures to claim from the third party insurance of the offender is more tedious, people simply claim from their own comprehensive insurance policies.

IMO, the only advantage we will have if we are able to claim from the offending party's third party insurance is that the liability of our own insurance company towards the repair costs will be shared by the third party insurance company of the offender and hence the increment in our premiums will be lesser.
Old 10th May 2013, 16:06   #95
BHPian

These 2 incidents happened recently [feel the driver of Incident 1 deserved what he got].
About me - I am someone who is known to be a short circuit and learning to control my temper for the last 8 years or so. I do not mind if the car is dented or damaged, it can always be repaired. But a cheap human behaviour brings back my un-controllable temper in a flash and for the worst.

Incident 1:
About a month back I was on my way back home at Adugodi from ITPL, Bangalore.
I follow the usual route taken everyday i.e ITPL ==> Marathahalli ==> ORR ==> Agara ==> Koramangala ==> Adugodi. On reaching the Agara junction flyover, I take the road below to move towards Koramangala and waiting for the traffic ahead of me to clear up. All of a sudden I hear a loud thud and see a mini truck with one of these advertising hoardings kissing my Ikon's rear bumper. I move the car forward, get down access the damage. Thankfully nothing major but a slightly mis-aligned bumper [I am still calm as the damage is not major].
I asked the truck driver to get down from the vehicle to which he pulls out his mobile phone and acts as though he is calling his owner. Again, despite me repeating and telling him to get out of the truck he does not step out. Finally, only after I use a couple of choicest words he gets down the truck and lets out a sheepish smile. My blood was at its highest boiling point by then and gave him a few slaps, curses and piece of my mind and moved as I did not want to block the traffic behind.

The worst part - this stupid driver is laughing and talking to another lorry driver at the next signal and continued to drive in a very rash and dangerous way.

Incident 2:
Today at Graphite India junction, ITPL around 10 AM - Waiting for the signal to turn green. There are about 5 cars ahead of me and a newly purchased Hyundai Eon behind. As the signal turns green and all inch ahead, the stupid driver who seemed to be in an animated conversation with his lady passenger in the Eon, surges ahead and bangs my Ikon in the rear. Again thankfully nothing happens to my car.
I ask the driver to pull over to access the damage as I did not want to block the traffic. As I was pulling over this moron manages to drive through and get away.

Anyone would expect the person who has commited an offence to own up and be courteous. But with such insensitive people around I wonder how can we keep our cool for long.

Last edited by arunkumars : 10th May 2013 at 16:08.
Old 13th May 2013, 19:03   #96
BHPian

This incident occured a few years back when my dad had bought a new Honda City. The car still had its temporary registration and had been driven down to Mysore from Bangalore that day.

We were headed to Chamundi hills and at the foot of the hills, a "VIP" auto driver in front of a Toyota Qualis which was in front of our vehicle takes a sudden U-turn without a warning and speeds away in the opposite direction causing the Qualis in front of us come to a screeching halt. My dad who was driving had maintained a good distance in front and he signalled to the vehicle behind us that we were stopping and stopped. Immediately we hear a bang and an Ambassador taxi has rear ended us!

The rear bumper is pressed inwards and the right tail light had a crack. This Ambassador was a "fully loaded" version with more than seven of a family. We get down and inspect and before we could say anything, the taxi driver who got down to inspect his vehicle's metal bumper which had no damage says it is not his fault as we suddenly braked and it was our fault!
I said that it is the duty of the driver to maintain a minimum gap and the driver gets enraged! Probably because i was 16 then and i looked younger. He shouts "enu minimum gaapu? Neevu sariyagi odislilla andhre naavu enu maadakke aagatthe?" Translated to "what do you mean by minimum gap? We cant help it if you don't drive properly"
My dad knew better to keep his calm and asked him his boss' number which he refused to give. My dad then calmly said it was not a problem and he would legally proceed against him and that would make his boss come down here (the taxi was hubli registered) and he would then explain his boss that it was his driver's audacity which brought him here.

By that time, a group of rustic onlookers formed an audience nearby and one of them asks " your car is not registered. How will u proceed legally?" My dad points out to the temporary registration printed on a sheet on the rear windscreen and then, my dad asks the driver to come with him to a nearby police station for which the driver refused. My dad then faked a call!
He acted as if he knew a police officer and faked a call and narrates the whole incident and even dictated the vehicle's number realistically over the cellphone! And after "ending" the call says that the police are on the way.
This is the point where the arrogant taxi driver breaks down. He called my dad aside and broke down! He actually cried saying that his boss will beat him black and blue and he will lose his job and what not! Finally he gives 1000 rupees to my dad and says that it is all he has and my dad let him go.

We had a good laugh about the fake call later on.
The bumper required some tinkering. We let the tail light as it is.
Old 13th May 2013, 20:10   #97

Happened to me yesterday early evening near Huskur Gate, was heading to some appointment i had to keep. I was following a auto moving probably at a speed of 40, we both take a left turn slowing down slightly and then when we are both picking speed after the turn he brakes suddenly. Now i am not sure what kind of brakes they have in autos but he stopped almost instantly, reason being apparently his house is there and his wife seems to have called out from the window. I tried my best to avoid hitting him and swerved to my right and also braked hard. I just touched him at the right most rear.

Then started the curses, shouting, threatening to end my life there and what not. Thankfully i know a little local language and i persistently continued my protests about his sudden braking without an indicator, hand signal or at least moving a little left to the road. The answer i got was that "this is not a parking lot for me to give indicator to stop". Also i did not get out of my car to avoid any escalation, meanwhile the people there who saw it all told him that it was his fault and supported me including another auto driver.

Finally out came the missus laughing and held that guys hand and pulled him inside the house.. and the saga ended and i could move on. Wonder what goes through their minds.
Old 7th August 2013, 23:32   #98

Sharing my today's experience at Delmia (maybe Dalmia) circle at Bangalore. I was driving and hubby occupied the other front seat. It was evening rush hour and I was taking left in a signal with merging traffic. I slightly (important) touched an auto while turning, and there was absolutely no damage. However, autowala came to my side and started raising his voice. All this while we were standing first at the signal waiting for it to be green. My husband called him on to his side to discuss, and he said something in local language which we obviously don't understand. Hubby asked him to speak Hindi or English, but maybe he didn't know either as he continued speaking something in the language he knows (obviously - no complaints, but it was problematic.

Suddenly a man joins from nowhere, maybe another autowala and started abusing us in the saddest abusive language. He hurled direct abuses at me, using abusive words like Prost in Hindi. I felt very uncomfortable and rolled up the window on my hubby's side. He literally rammed his hand on the glass and the glass was all broken. We still kept our calm and asked the concerned autowala in our case to let us park the vehicle in the corner as signal was starting.

He agreed and we took a left, while I suddenly decided to drive away instead of stopping the vehicle and getting into any more trouble. We could escape but we are really amazed at how bad things can get here for such a small incident. We did our best to not loose patience and respond to the provocation but I am startled after this incident.

Also, there is absolutely no support system in our country, there was no police wala around and even if he was, he never came to intervene. We even went to Arkere gate police station but was told to go to J.P Nagar. We are new to this city and not familiar with Police attitude in Bangalore, and thought it is a waste of time. After all it will boil down to regionalism.

I have experienced such abusive language for the first time, and pity at my (our) situation. Road rage has become so rampant in our country, especially when one party is weaker ( in terms of number of people and gender). And lot of people join in to enjoy the show and probably take out their frustration. All we could do was to ignore and escape, when we really wanted to blow his (the other person who abused) head off.
manasimehrotra is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th August 2013, 11:44   #99
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manasimehrotra View Post
Sharing my today's experience at Delmia (maybe Dalmia) circle at Bangalore.
Sorry to know about what you guys have to go through. Yes, regionalism is a major issue when it comes to situation like these. One who is not versed in the local language is bound to be termed as the defaulter in most cases. It is an irony that the accident did not do any damage to any of you, but the rage later results in a shattered window glass. Good that you sneaked through. These road altercations go ugly many times.
Old 8th August 2013, 13:18   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Sharing my today's experience at Delmia (maybe Dalmia) circle at Bangalore.
Sorry about the incident, did you by any chance note down the Auto's reg number ? If yes, why dont you file a harassment case against him ? if the cops dont file a case, You can approach ladies helpline and lodge a complaint, have heard that ladies helpline is quite effective in Bangalore.
Old 8th August 2013, 15:04   #101
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500cc View Post
Sorry about the incident, did you by any chance note down the Auto's reg number ? If yes, why dont you file a harassment case against him ? if the cops dont file a case, You can approach ladies helpline and lodge a complaint, have heard that ladies helpline is quite effective in Bangalore.
I agree. If we let this go, we become part of the system. Abusing and breaking glass is assault. Contact ladies helpline and file an FIR. Make sure that the scum go to Jail.
Also, whenever such things happen call 100 from your phone. Most of these Rowdies go run away when they see police being called.
Old 8th August 2013, 21:09   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I agree. If we let this go, we become part of the system. Abusing and breaking glass is assault. Contact ladies helpline and file an FIR. Make sure that the scum go to Jail.
Also, whenever such things happen call 100 from your phone. Most of these Rowdies go run away when they see police being called.
Well, I did mention I am calling police almost when I rolled up the window but this guy broke down the window and repeated the same abusive word many times. I think we were numb for 30 seconds, as broken glass almost fell on my hubby, causing him some minor injuries also. We avoided reacting as we have very minimal idea about how things work in bangalore especially with these guys. We called up 100 and was told to go to arkere police station, and In police station we got such a cold response that we felt it's a waste of time.
Old 8th August 2013, 21:33   #103
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Well, I did mention I am calling police almost when I rolled up the window but this guy broke down the window and repeated the same abusive word many times. I think we were numb for 30 seconds, as broken glass almost fell on my hubby, causing him some minor injuries also. We avoided reacting as we have very minimal idea about how things work in bangalore especially with these guys. We called up 100 and was told to go to arkere police station, and In police station we got such a cold response that we felt it's a waste of time.
Sad to hear about your incident.Most of the auto walas are just jealous about people going in big cars(Acc to them any car other than maruti 800/alto is posh). I have heard this from them only!And they want to extract money from even the smallest of the incidents.What you did was wise in that situation. If you had got down from the car things could have been worse.
Old 8th August 2013, 23:51   #104
Senior - BHPian

Hope you have noted the Reg no of the Auto. You can share this unpleasant incident at Bangalore Traffic Police page @ Facebook.
They are responsive to any such incidents reported on their page.
finneyp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2013, 00:45   #105
Senior - BHPian

ANY incident of road rage can get rough within no time. Keep safe, be smart. Its a good thing you drove away. By now we all know its a waste of time blaming the system, our voices are falling on deaf ears.

Yes, ofcourse at the same time we mustn't ignore this incident. This happens all around the country. But as regular travellers, however the police system is in whichever region, what we can ensure is that we use tech in the best way to keep safe.

PLEASE get a Dash cam (maybe like this one). Whether its the Police who uses it to investigate or whether or not it helps as proof in court, it'll atleast give an audit of events.
GrammarNazi is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks