Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2012, 10:32   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: I had a beggar under my car. Is it a new scam??

in all likelihood, seems like another scam. as the conventional begging income is falling ( most people these days dont encourage begging ), this is what the beggar mafia is after. make a quick buck through such means. really sad, but these kids are most likely drugged/made addicted to it and forced to do these kind of acts.
wonder what the cops are upto ?
Old 20th February 2012, 10:43   #17
BHPian

It looks like a scam. If you have any reach within the RTO deparment there, can you check if the intersection has cameras. If there are cameras and if you get access to it then it would help you very much.

Too many "ifs" but still worth taking a shot.
Old 20th February 2012, 10:44   #18
BHPian

I couldn't believe one thing that I was reading. What is our country coming to? And certainly the cops know about this and must be getting a cut from these people. Surely sounds like a scam. But the boy could have definitely got killed.

It is becoming very common these days in Mumbai when Girls (very young beggars) make suggestive gestures at signals. Once, the taxi driver slapped one such girl right in front of my eye. I was totally taken aback as to what was happening there.

We all have already heard about weirdos telling us that our engine is on fire. So that when we stop, they might frisk off something from the car.
Old 20th February 2012, 11:00   #19
BHPian

You say that your car wasn't moving and something was holding back. Then it is naturally understood that the boy under the car was holding your car hard to save himself from the car running on him. And also you are sure that you didn't run on anyone and it is natural that you were waiting for the green signal and nothing fishy happened.

These all are deliberately done to extract money from innocent people.I don't think filing any complaint with the nearest police station is worth. Normally these kinda people will not follow on with a same person. They keep on finding new prey.
Old 20th February 2012, 11:00   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
wasnt there something like this happening in Bombay about 6months-1 year back?
Foot getting run over scam?
Yes, it happened with me.

The scamsters couldnt make money out of me. The cops couldnt make money out of me, so now the case is in court. Im going to beat the S#!% out of there there too.

Here's the link -
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...-accident.html

There's all kinds of scum nowadays. Here's one more from Bangalore and surroundings, if it hasnt been posted already:

Driving to Mysore? Beware of greedy villagers - Bangalore - DNA

regards,
Jay

Last edited by jaysmokesleaves : 20th February 2012 at 11:02.
jaysmokesleaves is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th February 2012, 11:17   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkg View Post
2. Can there be some future complications? I mean tomorrow or some other day, can police charge me for hit and run case if someone gave them my vehicle no.
This is a real possibility. Similar thing happened to me, when I had a accident some years ago. The guy I hit was riding a cycle and was drunk, me moved from the opposite side of the road bang infront of me. Few people gathered but I managed to take him to the nearest govt hospital. There the doctors had cleaned his wounds and ask me to get medicine from the chemist outside, when I returned the guy was not there. I looked around nobody had a clue. He had walked off. As per procedure I had to create a record of his admission and even though he was hammered, he gave three different names of himself and the admission card was created.

Few months later cops were at my parents doorstep 400kms away from where the accident had happened! To seize the car in a hit and run case! The guy had registered a complaint next day evening of the accident! Long story short few months and couple of court rounds later and a fat compensation saw the things settle.

All this for my fault of not informing police of the accident before him.
mac187 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th February 2012, 11:27   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

You shoudn't even have paid him anything and just driven off. 500 bucks is a fortune for a beggar- chances are you'll never hear from him again. But just in case, as mac187 advises, get a report filed and have it on record that the guy crawled under your car to extort you for money. Then if and when he files a complaint, you have your interests protected.
Old 20th February 2012, 11:49   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
But just in case, as mac187 advises, get a report filed and have it on record that the guy crawled under your car to extort you for money. Then if and when he files a complaint, you have your interests protected.
If it were me, I'll be wary of reporting this to the police. What if the police frames me instead?

Whoever say that this is a suicidal way of getting money, please give attention to three things-
1. It's a Tata Nano, not a Mahindra Scorpio.
2. The beggar had positioned himself against the wheel. He is trained.
3. Some injuries are acceptable in begging business.

PS: I've had this incident many times when a seemingly injured beggar would beg while my car's windows were tight shut. I would not give them money, he would get aggressive and hit on window & door with a tin can (in broad daylight with hundreds of people around). I would still pretend like nothing happened. I assume that if I open the door or even just roll down window a bit, the beggar might shout and pretend to be hurt by me (he already looks injured). If you don't budge, the beggar will hit your car once more and leave.
Old 20th February 2012, 11:52   #24
Senior - BHPian

I had a similar experience at one bank in my city. It was afternoon and we had to visit bank for some work. I was driving and mom was in copassenger seat. While reversing, suddenly a scream came out. Mom got scared and I braked. Note that it was reversing at a very slow speed.
The person who screamed was old lady selling those tobacco sachets, water pouches, etc. Just another road side vendor. This was happening inside the compound of bank. As it was afternoon and mom was there, that lady could extract 500 rs. from mom.

That lady claimed that she was entirely under the car and I had driver over her. How come a fat lady ( she was quite healthy ) come entirely under a very low slung car like Baleno ?

The next time we again visited the bank after 4-5 days, she again came up and said that she did a few treatments and now she has further appointment so we need to give her money. Mom gave another Rs. 1000-/. The first time she claimed she was under car, she was not even bleeding or no swelling. If a car like Baleno had run over her, she would be atleast having a few scratches, but nothing. Infact, she could talk and stand tall and even speak properly.

So these things do happen, just forget about it.
Old 20th February 2012, 11:59   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkg View Post
I had a terribly harrowing experience tonight. I was standing at a red light with around 20 sec to green.
Could you please elaborate on the location where this happened? Your experience would serve as a warning to other road users, for them to avoid a similar situation in future.
Old 20th February 2012, 12:10   #26
Senior - BHPian

We should send these beggars to strategy board of the companies. They will sure make a fortune for the shareholders with their amazing skills.

But on a serious note: Where is this country coming to?
download2live is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2012, 12:10   #27
BHPian

This is scary.
If any of the Bhp-ians have journalist friends, please tip them. These kind of possibilities should be brought to public eye. 99% of people will panic if such a thing happens.
Old 20th February 2012, 12:11   #28
BHPian

It is undoubtedly a harrowing experience. Its goes to show the lengths the beggar mafia can go in putting young lives to risk for getting money. In all likelihood, the children who did this are not doing it out of their own volition but are forced and coerced to do the same.

While there is so much hue and cry over human safaris in the Andaman (and rightfully so, as it is disgusting,) it is high time the beggar mafia in this country is ruthlessly targeted and eradicated by concerted action by the government and the law enforcers.
Old 20th February 2012, 12:12   #29
BHPian

This is scary. Usually, if I am in a car with family, I use the signals to talk to my son or wife and rarely see in the mirrors. Will make it a point to be watchful now onwards.

DevilsCry - Same thing happened with my colleague some months back, and the begger in frustration hit with the tin can that the driver side window cracked. So either ways, the "car wallah" is on the losing side
Old 20th February 2012, 12:12   #30
MAS
Senior - BHPian

@kkg

Your post gave me a shiver!!! 10:30 pm and God knows what would have happened if you had accelerated faster and tried to move by pumping the clutch. Thank God nothing like that happened.

We complain of not having enough GC for our cars. He was lucky as Nano for one has better GC than other hatch backs and a not-so-powerful engine. If it were a Fortuner, he would have been history by now.
MAS is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks