Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2012, 03:00   #1
kkg
BHPian

I had a beggar under my car. Is it a new scam??

I had a terribly harrowing experience tonight. I was standing at a red light with around 20 sec to green. I was in the right most lane with divider to my right and a family in wagon r in my left. There was a car in front of me as well, which one I don't remember. THe light turned green, I moved but my Nano would not pull ahead. I could feel something holding it back, thought it was the handbrake but it wasn't moving, just crawling.

Suddenly I saw the guy in the wagon r gesturing me to stop. I rolled by left window down and was shocked to hear him saying that a Man is under my Nano. I kind of panicked and asked him whether I should reverse or take the car forward. He said that we should get out and I did. I was just hell struck when I saw a boy aged 15-16 totally under the car. Meanwhile two-three men from other cars came to the rescue and tried to unsuccessfully lift the rear of the Nano. Since the engine is at the back, we could only manage to lift only a inch or two of the body alone, not the tyres from the ground. The boy some how crawled out, stood up and went to sit on the divider.

Since It was around 10:30pm and there was not much traffic and people around, everyone told me to leave the spot. The wagon r guy told me he also somehow managed to dodge the boy because he was lying on the road.

Meanwhile, I sat in my Nano and saw the boy is one of the typical beggars with all the fake plasters and bandages on his arm and leg. He looked kind of hurt, drugged may be ( like most of the beggers are at that point of time). But his right arm was bleeding,I asked him If I could get him to some clinic but he said give me some money.

I had already given 500rs to the boy (aged around 9-10) who was along with him and he handed it to him. I came to my in-laws place which is just few hundred meters away and asked my BIL to go and check upon him. My BIL couldn't find anyone there.

Now I want to know:

1. Did I do anything wrong leaving him unattended? I thought we was drunk/drugged and everyone around me urged me to go.

2. Can there be some future complications? I mean tomorrow or some other day, can police charge me for hit and run case if someone gave them my vehicle no.

3. This is the big one. Can this be another trick or scam?? I confidently remember that I didn't feel my Nano's front wheels going over anything. So is this possible that the boy deliberately went under the car?

IT was a terrible felling having seen some one under your car and even now while writing this I am feeling very bad for everything but I sincerely want to know What better could I have done.
kkg is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th February 2012, 04:35   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: I had a begger under my car. Is it a new scam??

I am sure your Nano did not go over him, because if it would have, not only you would have known instantly everyone one else in the car would have also known, because for the small wheels of Nano it would have been quiet a bump.

Now, do you know some, lawyer or cop in the extended family, or friends. It would be better to consult them first, and then report this to the police.

My hunch is their trick was to get some money from you, once they succeeded they went away. So you should be fine, but its better to check with known cops and lawyer if we are missing something.
Old 20th February 2012, 07:47   #3
Senior - BHPian

OMG, this is unheard of incident. This is really scary. Couple of confusions though, you quoted the boys age twice and both times different. Also since you were at the traffic signal, it owuld be highly improbable for the boy to creep below the Nano without you noticing it or maybe you must have not noticed the boy sleeping on the road. Was the area dimly lit?

Although your intentions were noble, you need to be careful in such situations. I would say never revisit the place again after the incident.
Old 20th February 2012, 08:17   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkg View Post
I was standing at a red light with around 20 sec to green.
More than enough time for him to push himself under the car.
Quote:
The boy some how crawled out, stood up and went to sit on the divider.
Quote:
I came to my in-laws place which is just few hundred meters away and asked my BIL to go and check upon him. My BIL couldn't find anyone there.
One more innovative way to make money.

Mods note: Thread moved to Street Experience Section.
Old 20th February 2012, 08:52   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
One more innovative way to make money.
Make money? But yes, I feel you are right. A bleeding boy (even though off the street) would hardly ask for money (Rather than take up the offer to be taken to a clinic) if he is hit by a car!

Good thing it was a Nano! What if it was a Scorpio for instance?
Old 20th February 2012, 08:52   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkg View Post
So is this possible that the boy deliberately went under the car?
The boy deliberately went under the Nano...The guy would never have the guts to try this stunt with Safari's and Scorpio's.
Old 20th February 2012, 09:13   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlon View Post
The boy deliberately went under the Nano...The guy would never have the guts to try this stunt with Safari's and Scorpio's.
Possible both ways. It is easier to slip under a Safari / Scorp, but it is easier to hold the Nano from moving (when the signal turns). heavier the vehicle, riskier it is for him. The Safari / Scorp could easily just drive over ..
Old 20th February 2012, 09:18   #8
Senior - BHPian

I think he deliberately went under the car but did you not notice him crawling under, unless you were talking to somone in the Nano.

Ideally if someone crosses from infront on my car, my eyes follow him till he clears, you cannot trust anyone these days.
Old 20th February 2012, 09:26   #9
Team-BHP Support

Since he asked for money, it would have been a deliberate act (and a risky one to pull off).
And probably he went underneath to damage the car?
Old 20th February 2012, 09:40   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Couple of confusions though, you quoted the boys age twice and both times different.
He said the boy that crept under the Nano was 15-16yrs. The boy (an accomplice/friend of the boy who went under the Nano) whom he gave the money to is 9-10yrs. Two boys
DudeWithaFiat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2012, 10:09   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: I had a beggar under my car. Is it a new scam??

wasnt there something like this happening in Bombay about 6months-1 year back?
Foot getting run over scam?

You did right in driving off.
If youd hung around, youd have been, er, hung out to dry, i am sure.

Where was this, central delhi or whereabouts?
Old 20th February 2012, 10:17   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Man this is scary. First of all do you mind sharing the location where this happened?

I am not sure if this can be a scam. what if the driver doesn't stop and the beggar gets hurt real bad? Getting under a car is a risky thing and is not some kind of a game. I think we are jumping the gun here by calling it a scam. For gods sake even a Nano should be enough to cause serious life threatening damage to a 8-10 year old child. I really don't think there is anyway they will resort to such a act.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2012, 10:23   #13
Senior - BHPian

Its definitely a scam. Its good that you didnt stay back. And thank God that you didnt rev high to overcome the "block" on which your car was stuck.
_raVan_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2012, 10:23   #14
Senior - BHPian

Desperate times call for desperate measures, you should have given that urchin a bit of your mind and ask him to pick on a standing locomotive instead, for his stunt.
Old 20th February 2012, 10:24   #15
Senior - BHPian

Oh boy that was quiet an experience!!
Face of it, it does look like a deliberate attempt to earn some money but why someone will risk his life to earn money?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks