Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2012, 16:39   #1
BHPian

How not to do "right" wrongly? First-Aid & other post-accident tips

How many times we have been in some car accident?

Fortunately, the answer will be "not many" which is good but also points out that if situation arise we would be most likely "unprepared" to cope and do something sensible.

There is another one big reason for it that we are not supposed have any knowledge of first-aids/emergency measures when getting our DLs which could have been the one (and could be only) venue to have little mock practice.

I had my training before I got my German DL but I am not sure how much I will be able to do that when situation arise and how much I would be able to do it “right”!

I am starting with some material from DRK(Deutsche Rote Kreuz) website which states the basics of first-aids in case of car accidents:

“The sequence of all aid after a disaster can be seen like a chain, which consists of four elements, as shown below.

These measures aim to provide the necessary assistance to an injured on the accident site and make sure that he gets medical treatment asap. People at accident site are active in the area of the first two links of the chain and have the task to do needful as long as necessary and until Emergency
Medical Professionals arrive.
- Emergency measures
- Further Action
- Emergency medical services
- Hospital

Notice!

"Each chain is as strong as its weakest link. Training in first aid should help to strengthen the first two links in the chain of rescue.”

So, first-aid/emergency help is focused on a. Emergency Measures b. Further Action.

Emergency Measures:

First what is wrong to do!

1. If you suspect a head, back or neck injury, do not move the victim unless he is in imminent danger or you need to perform CPR. Support injured limbs when moving the person.
2. Do not go near a crashed car or try to rescue someone if the car has damaged a power pole and wires are down. You could put your own life at risk.
3. Warn people not to smoke as there may be petrol on the road.
4. Do not touch blood without latex gloves.
5. If an injured person is wearing a helmet, don't remove it unless you need to perform CPR. You must however, open the visor of the helmet and loosen the chin strap.
6. If an unconscious person is trapped in the car, clear the airway of blood or vomit, and lift the jaw, making sure that you do not move the neck. Give mouth-to-mouth breathing if possible but do not perform external cardiac massage until the person has been removed from the car.

What is right to do!

1. Make the area safe. Protect yourself and the injured person from further injury and ask someone to alert oncoming traffic. The person should stand at least 50 meters from the accident scene and preferably use a flashlight at night. Turn on the hazard lights of all the vehicles on the scene.
2. Turn off the ignition of the crashed vehicle.
3. Call the emergency services.
4. Ask the driver how many passengers were in the car, especially small children who may be trapped or may have been flung out of the car.
5. If someone is trapped inside a vehicle, stay with him until help arrives.
6. Stop bleeding by applying and maintaining firm pressure to the wounds.
7. Cover victims with a blanket or jacket until help arrives.

For CPR and recovery position, please refer to:

CPR: Health24: First Aid

Recovery positions: Health24: First Aid: Parenting

or you can look for videos too and get yourself familiar with these.

I would strongly recommend to go for a first-aid course usually offered by Red Cross or hospitals/ambulance services e.g. in Chennai by St. John Ambulance (First Aid Course)

Further Action:

There are also some legal requirements in case of accident but I am not very familiar with them in Indian context. So I will just put them from my German knowledge and I hope many of them should be valid in India too and other members can bring their inputs.

The desired behavior after a traffic accident:

Legal Aspects:

1. Pause: stay at accident site. Don’t fly away under any circumstance except someone is in absolute emergency and need immediate help.
2. Secure the accident area: use Emergency Triangle to mark the accident site so it is visible from far away. If accident happens at blind corner put the triangle before the blind spot/corner.
3. Turn Hazard lights ON
4. Make Emergency Call to Emergency Number and provide 5 w’s
- Who reports? (Name and location)
- When happened?
- Where happened? (Accident)
- What happened? (Number of injured) (Description of the consequences of accidents and injuries)
- Waiting for questions!
Never ever hang up, maybe the rescue station has more questions for you.

6. Exchange personal data like Name, Address, insurance, social security number, license and vehicle details etc.
7. Gather evidences like take pictures of damages to cars and property, skid marks etc. with/without flash.
8. Check the safety of your vehicle before the continuation of the journey. Now, you need to clean even the scene of the accident. Also, don't forget to pack your warning triangle.
9. Claim Insurance: Don't forget to report the damage to insurance.

This thread is inspired by following threads:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...mportance.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...motorists.html
which are failed to take off or create any interest sadly.
P.S.: Dear Moderators please, put the thread in right place. I couldn't find a section deemed fit for it except Team-Bhp Advice but I don't have access to it. Thanks.

Last edited by Suess : 20th April 2012 at 16:45.
Suess is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 20th April 2012, 17:04   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: How not to do "right" wrongly?

Thanks for the useful post. The only thing is that the "Legal Aspects" section may not entirely hold for Indian situations. In India, this is far more complex and potentially more life-threatning than the accidents itself.

Probably that can be changed to show what to do in our circumstances? e.g.
- Forget the vehicle and run for your life
- Go to the safety (?) of a Police Station
- Call up your contacts and get the police to take a sympathetic view of your situation
etc. etc....
Old 20th April 2012, 17:34   #3
BHPian

Re: How not to do "right" wrongly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
Thanks for the useful post. The only thing is that the "Legal Aspects" section may not entirely hold for Indian situations. In India, this is far more complex and potentially more life-threatning than the accidents itself.

Probably that can be changed to show what to do in our circumstances? e.g.
- Forget the vehicle and run for your life
- Go to the safety (?) of a Police Station
- Call up your contacts and get the police to take a sympathetic view of your situation
etc. etc....
ya, Roy that is sad situation here. there are so many "hit and run" cases some involving high profile doers and they scot free because they flied the site!!

2 incident i happened to experience closely. in one, one of our relative was found dead on road when we were looking for him after he failed to come home in night and we found in pool of his own blood on the road for whole night. was hit by HMV and was on bike. If they could have helped him he might have been saved.

in second, one of my friend's car was hit by another car and other guy run away speeding. we informed police with car RN but listen to what police said "Sir vo yahan hai nahi to uski koi galti nahi"!.(if culprit is not caught on site, he is not culprit)!
Old 23rd April 2012, 10:23   #4
BHPian

Re: How not to do "right" wrongly? First-Aid & other post-accident tips

@suess
thanks for the useful links. there's another pretty good reference for emergency medical situations:

"Where There Is No Doctor"
Books and Resources | Hesperian Health Guides

it's pretty comprehensive for a large number of cases, and you might find it of use. also it is legally available for free.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks