Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2012, 17:04   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Lone Women Drivers in Delhi. Be Alert. I am still too shocked.

Good to know that you have escaped without any further serious damage.

Have heard of an exact similar incident in Mumbai, where a friend driving a Scorpio was surrounded by 4-5 guys claiming he drove over their feet, when he opened the window for confrontation, his phone's kept on the dashboard were flicked.

I personally keep my phone in the centre console below the armrest which is impossible to reach from a window in worst case scenario.

Wishing you a speedy recovery from the shock and to bring back the confidence back to your driving.
Old 24th April 2012, 17:16   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Sorry to hear about the incident. However, it may be true that they would have picked you from the crowd seeing you were talking on phone and also since you were lone women in a car I should say that no one is safe from these thugs. Here in Bangalore also these kinds of incidents are many and most of the cases which I read in forum, victims were men.
Personally what I feel worse about is not the cell phone flick part but what happend after that, the moronic bus driver who hit your car on the way.

Anyways, incident reminds us all to keep doors locked and windows fully closed or opened only few inches to let air in.
Old 24th April 2012, 17:32   #18
BHPian

Sugeeta,

Very scary incident. Sorry about that.

I seriously suggest you carry a pepper spray with you. I always carry one in my handbag. Whenever someone tries to stop my car or cut across, my hand automatically goes to it. 1-2 sprays on the face of the fellow who took your phone, i dont think he will repeat such tricks in a hurry.

Police can track your cellphone using its IMEI number. It will be printed on the Samsung Galaxy Note's box. If you are planning to file an FIR, make sure you take this number along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Anyways, incident reminds us all to keep doors locked and windows fully closed or opened only few inches to let air in.
To let the air in, using a blower would be a better option.
Pallavi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2012, 17:34   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose View Post
Hi Sugeeta,

I've read about similar incidents in team-bhp. This seems quite common. The criminals must have observed you talk on hands-free and because your attention is split between driving and the conversation, the diverted attention was used to perform the trick.

I'd suggest you not to make calls when near intersections or even when in call, pay extra attention to such folks. Use sun-film to prevent them from seeing you; they wont be able to tell whether you're a lady or not and cant take advantage of you.

Nitin
I never understood why people make/pick calls when they are driving ...

On the other hand, such incidents are only going to make people more cautious and perhaps less helpful in extending hand during a real emergency.

Its a PITY.
And as usual Delhi cops are totally helpless in organized crime against common man.
Old 24th April 2012, 17:39   #20
BHPian

@sugeeta. Try getting onto this website Samsung DIVE. This might let you track your mobile and get some help in recovering it.

Try creating an account if you have already not done it and see if you can use the tools to track

Last edited by sreedotk : 24th April 2012 at 17:41.
sreedotk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2012, 17:42   #21
kkg
BHPian

Very sorry to hear what happened to you but I am not shocked that it happened in our Delhi. But I think you should have called the police there and then.

No wonder you panicked, its natural. Something quite similar happened to me few weeks back and I reacted almost similarly.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...-new-scam.html
Old 24th April 2012, 17:44   #22
Senior - BHPian

Sugeeta, its not your fault that you panicked so don't beat yourself up for it.

Material possessions can be replaced, although cumbersome and heart wrenching due to the sentimental value and importance of data, in your case. What's more important is that you did not face any physical harm.

Take your husband along and lodge a written complaint and an FIR at the police station where this incident occurred.

Whether these low lives are caught and punished is another matter but that should not stop you from reporting the incident. Speak to the media or write to them about this incident (request them to conceal your identity if you wish).

Buy a can of pepper spray and keep it in your handbag, well within reach in a separate compartment (so you dont have to shuffle for it when needed and hopefully you never get to use it). Dont ever hesitate to use it when the situation demands for it.
n_aditya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th April 2012, 17:53   #23
BHPian

Hello Sugeeta,

First of all i think you did remarkably well under the circumstance. I am very sure 90+ % of us would have reacted similarly. Its easy to sit elsewhere and think we could have done different. Feel bad for you.
No, this has nothing to do with lone women, this was the same MO used with my manager ~ a month ago at the Bangalore Madivala/Total Mall signal at ~8.30 PM. His Blackberry was stolen. He was completely non plussed and shaken and this person is a very cool cat who almost never gets hassled ever.
Any single adult/person has to be careful.

All,
I would go as far as to say that this is very well thought out MO by these perpetrators. They would typically work in groups of two.
There are two ways this will work,

1. At Traffic Signals typically evenings

Typically one group comes up and starts a fight stating that you either hit/cut across them. When engaged in such a manner the other person comes on the LHS of the car claiming that you ran over their foot, this typically as the signal is set to change.
Will ask you to lower your window so that they can talk to you. The moment you do so, they will steal whatever you have on your front seat. (I guess this has been shared on multiple threads already).
If there was any valuable which could have been stolen, the first group will push you to move as the signal has changed and that you are on top of everything hindering traffic.

2. This may be more tuned towards women driver unless your car has out of state number plates in which event any single driver (Gender Irrespective) would be targetted (The idea is you may not be able to speak the local language).

The MO here would be an Auto/other vehicle would follow you, catch up with you and start harrasing you stating that you hit their vehicle and now you have to cough up money - or they would take you to the cops or beat you.

This happened to a lady colleague of mine, broad daylight, a few months ago, while moving from Kormangala towards the Sarjapur junction.

A Auto driver threatened her and took away a couple of thousand rupees.

Sad state of time if ever, going only worse.

I used to stop and give lifts on my own to people earlier. Now even if somebody asks i refuse.

Suggestions, if ever heaven forbid you happen to be in a similar situation,

1. Take a picture with your phone camera before anything else. (Not easy in that state of mind).
2. If you do decide to get out, be very careful and take the key out, and lock the car before talking to anyone.
3. Would recommend that you do not get down as one can get beaten up.
4. Drive to the nearest police station - cop at a junction.
5. If it is a genuine case they would follow and can be handled in front of cops. (That can be another story)
Old 24th April 2012, 17:54   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Buy a can of pepper spray and keep it in your handbag, well within reach in a separate compartment (so you dont have to shuffle for it when needed and hopefully you never get to use it). Dont ever hesitate to use it when the situation demands for it.
Quickly use this suggestion.
Seems gang like this is operating throughout in delhi and in all over india. I remember reading one post where one person manages to go under Nano and then trying to claim money.
Talking about the same incidence.

One of my friend had same incident in Mumbai when two guys started shouting on him on a signal and while he was talking to those guys one of their member pick the mobile and flew.

take care mam.

Last edited by aditya@pune : 24th April 2012 at 18:01.
Old 24th April 2012, 18:57   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugeeta View Post
Was ...... .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
Hmm, does'nt the Samsung Note have the mobile tracker? I hope you've enabled that to alert you incase the SIM is changed. If thats on, you should have no difficulty tracking whoever uses the phone now..
Quote:
Originally Posted by PM - B View Post
hearfelt sympathies!

I'm sure you will emerge wiser from this experience.

Have you tried the suggestion by Lalvaz for tracing your fone? The following linky might help you in that direction. I hope its not too late..

Remotely Track Your Galaxy Note Online Free From Samsung | xda-developers

Also I hope you had a password enabled screen lock which erases all data after "X" attempts & locks the fone. If not then in future do enable such features in smartphones (one of the key reasons why you are paying a higher amount for such phones, isn't it? the swipe unlock at times is too silly IMHO)

@PM-B: That was an enlightening post, thanks.

I also second the opinion that one's valuables in the car should be kept out of immediate reach and yet convenient cubby holes. Though based on #2 in PM-B's post, doesnt matter much as to where you keep your vaulables if you are being targeted.

Hope you come out of this whole incident as a stronger person.

Last edited by vinjosep : 24th April 2012 at 18:58. Reason: punctuations
Old 24th April 2012, 20:52   #26
Senior - BHPian

Sad to hear all this things like this happening in such area that too in busy hours, do lodge a FIR for the same.

But how come the guy was able to put his hand in the cabin, do you drive with windows down ? , If yes then please avoid driving with windows down, i for one always ensure that all my windows are up and all doors are locked especially at traffic signals where every now and then beggars come and go.

It's good that you didn't got down and they caused no harm to you, in this type of situations, people nearby are scare to help as you never no, who will take out a gun/knife.

From next time do carry something like pepper spray for your self protection and ensure that you always drive with windows up and door locked and NEVER keep your phone & handbag on passenger seat or dashboard, keep them out of the reach of eyes of by-passers , especially in bumper to bumper traffic situations.

Do try to keep yourself calm and hope you learn from this incident and come out as a more stronger person.

Take car and drive safe.

Cheers
Sameer

Last edited by sameerg001 : 24th April 2012 at 20:57.
Old 24th April 2012, 20:53   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Madam, very sorry to read about the scary incident.You need not be cowed down but take corrective measures and become pro-active to target the hoodlums.
(1) File a police complaint immediately in the police station under whose jurisdiction this area falls.More than 24 hours have elapsed and please do not let time fly away as the police will like complaints being filed as FIR's at the earliest possible.
(2) Go to the media and try and publicise the matter. If they do not take it as a news story, write in the "Letters to the Editor " columns of many local newspapers.
(3) With the publicity, the goons will shift base from New Friends Colony elsewhere. The police can always trap them from anywhere using decoys if they are serious. Press publicity of crimes keeps the police under pressure to act and deliver.

Points to be noted for the future
(1) Please also always carry a pepper spray can as someone has suggested for self defence.
(2) No doubt, we get panicked during such happenings but we must never feel that it is the end of the world.Take such incidents on your stride and the goons must be taught a lesson.
(3) You should have noted the bus number against whom also the FIR can be partly directed as it has caused damage to your car. The time (exact time) and the bus route logs can help the Delhi Police detect the bus, if it is a govt bus (JNURM and so on).

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 24th April 2012 at 20:55.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2012, 21:21   #28
BHPian

One advice on this thread is missing. Sugeeta, please log in all accounts (like email) on your laptop and sign out of all sessions from other devices and change passwords ASAP if not done yet.

PS: What I learnt-
  1. Anti pinch feature of power windows is a minus point in India.
  2. Never ever open windows, even to get air. Even living in Delhi myself, I regularly forget it.
What I learnt from reading other threads and already apply the same-
  1. Keep phone in cubby holes under dashboard.
  2. Don't open windows no matter how many persons are banging on the car (already tested).

Last edited by DevilsCry : 24th April 2012 at 21:45. Reason: Adding PS
Old 24th April 2012, 21:48   #29
BHPian

Sugeeta. It appears as if you have been robbed rather skillfully by these thugs. You frequent the same route every evening? I'm convinced they've targeted you after watching you pass the same route every evening, as they would have judged where to run after their act was done, and how you being a lone woman in a car would find it next to impossible to chase those thieves. Now whats lost is lost, but I urge you to keep a look out for those guys who target their hapless victims in such a manner. Even if they've gone underground for some time, and if you don't have a better route while returning back home I'm sure the thugs will be back to target someone else in a similar situation. Even a description of one of those people to the police could go a long way in deterring such sad incidents to happen again.
Old 24th April 2012, 22:26   #30
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pallavi View Post
Sugeeta,
Very scary incident. Sorry about that.
I seriously suggest you carry a pepper spray with you. I always carry one in my handbag. Whenever someone tries to stop my car or cut across, my hand automatically goes to it. 1-2 sprays on the face of the fellow who took your phone, i dont think he will repeat such tricks in a hurry.
I do not think it is a good idea to use a pepper spray while inside a car. Chances are very little of the spray would get out of the 2 inches the window was opened. Most of it would stay inside the car affecting the driver more than the attacker. Also when you are outside it is not really useful in our typical mob situation, where there is some intolerance towards women car drivers, and an assumption that they are at fault.

I do like the idea though. I ask women in my family to carry one. It could prove to be useful when they are alone.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks