Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2012, 12:10   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Spotted a Parked vehicle with key in place - What would you do?

Right. As I said I did not touch the key and left it there.

When I left for home yesterday, I reached my bike and saw a guy trying to unlock their bike with the help of a key maker. A girl stood next to them shining a flashlight from her mobile.
I informed them that I had seen the key dangling from the boot lock. Next second, the guy looks at the girl and says I told you it will be there. I asked them to check the mats in case somebody else had kept it there. But it wasnt to be found anywhere. So they continued their work and I shrugged my shoulders and left.

I hope no one took any valuables from the boot, but then I did not want to sound too interested and in any case they did not have the key to ascertain that. I parked in a different place today so not sure if that bike is still there.
Old 6th June 2012, 12:28   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

^^All's well that ends well!

In a similar situation I have alerted the security guard and carried on with a clear conscience. If there is nobody around and/or it looks a little suspicious, I would steer clear of touching the car. My imaginative mind comes up with these scenarios where the vehicle has been used in a crime and I would hate to get implicated by leaving fingerprints or something!
Old 8th June 2012, 05:35   #18
BHPian

I once forgot my bike's key and went to our 1st foor house. After some time heard someone honking continuously. Shouted from the window 'what is your problem'. He calmly told you forgot to remove your bike's key. That was embarrassing. It happened 4 years ago in Bangalore.
Old 8th June 2012, 11:48   #19

I think most of us had been in such an embarrassing situation atleast once. It happened to me last year when I had forgotten the key on my bike near a crowded road in Hiranandani Powai. Moverover it was in a on position with the Neutral light on. I was standing on the opposite side talking on phone totally unaware of the situation. Could even see a couple standing near my bike with the guy looking at it now and then. I realized the situation only when I went near my bike and saw the neutral light on.
Old 8th June 2012, 12:44   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
One of my colleague lost his mo-bike when he parked it in the Ernakulam Junction Railway Station and forgot to take out the key with him more than an year back.
Is it possible to claim the insurance in such cases?

Last edited by prateekm : 8th June 2012 at 12:46.
Old 8th June 2012, 13:45   #21
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san
Completely agree! It's best to inform the cops, or if the vehicle is parked in the vicinity of some establishments, inform the security guys about this. Don't try to take out the key. Automobiles parked like this should always be treated with suspicion.
What if it is a bike / car bomb? I would steer clear of such things in general. Fact is that the world has become so evil that even these things which may once have been considered innocuous are now to be viewed with suspicion.
Old 8th June 2012, 14:13   #22
Senior - BHPian

DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!

Alert the authorities and near by security gaurds.
Old 8th June 2012, 14:50   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by intoxicangel View Post
..... And then I saw the security at in the lot walking towards me as if he knew something was amiss. Sure enough the last shift (which I missed by 20min apparently) guard had pulled the keys out and was on his way to report the same and drop in lost and found.
...:O
This is my take. If you see a vehicle or even other valuable, check if you see any security/guard around. In general, people tend to ask the nearby chowkidhar or shop fella - if they have seen something or got someone handing over.

cops or calling 100 - not too sure. will that help always (or) does it backfire ?

I got into such situation twice (i.e. seeing a vehicle with keys) & got the nearby watchmen to keep the keys & handover when asked. First time - didn't know what happened after. But second one - i asked the watchman to confirm me - if he handed over. And i duly checked with him next day. Yes. I do believe in what he said. But, guess, thats the max one can do - without getting into trouble !.

@ shankar balan - yes, it could be risky to put yourself into the scene. Not that you don't care for other person to get hurt. But yes - be warned on getting into unpleasant situation.
Old 8th June 2012, 15:05   #24
Senior - BHPian

From my own experience, I would say please dont touch anything that is unclaimed. Or stand near someone who is trying to do so.
Even if it is a voucher for 1 litre free petrol!

If I remember correctly, the German bakery blast in Pune happened because a waiter tried to move an unclaimed bag

And as I learnt, its not my mistake if someone has to go through trouble because they forgot the key in the first place.
Old 8th June 2012, 16:33   #25
Team-BHP Support

I think I'm being overtly paranoid these days, but I'd suggest you leave it alone. Or if you have the time to stick around for a few minutes, just stand back and keep an eye out for anything suspicious.

You never know these days.

It could have been a careless fellow who was absent-minded (Sorry kiloAlfa ) or it could be a trap for all you know. People try all sorts of things these days to divert your attention, just so that you're a vulnerable target.

I'd say, if you've got a few minutes to spare, just scan the area thoroughly before taking a decision. If you find something to be amiss, walk away immediately.

This is exactly what I did the other day.

There was this really sweet black Zen Carbon (the three door kind) and it was parked right outside Glennands (the pet shop) a few minutes from my house. The driver's door, of all the doors, had the key in it. The moment I noticed this, I looked around for a little while and made sure nothing nobody was pulling a fast one on me or anyone. And then comes this middle-adged woman and her friend, frantically looking for the key. I went up to the car, took the key and gave it to them. Told them that they'd forgotten it on the drivers' door and they said they were looking for it in the shop for several minutes. In fact, they even suspected one of the animals to have swallowed it(!)

Last edited by suhaas307 : 8th June 2012 at 16:36.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks