Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2012, 21:38   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Can't thank you enough Dr. Abhilash!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reswaran View Post
All I can recollect is seeing my left forearm forming an 'S' shape and I seemed to have hit my head pretty hard too. A crowd formed but all I can remember is this neat cut gentleman in his mid thirties with a french beard. He got someone to park my bike at the edge of the road and collected the keys. He gathered my mobile, my wallet and my laptop bag. He put me gingerly in the back of his red Maruti Swift, and expertly got me to the nearest clinic in 10 mins in the maddening traffic. He pushed the clinic staff to tend to me immediately, and administer first aid. He called my wife and dad and waited till they turned up. He dissapeared as miraculously as he arrived. Dr. Abhilash, I hope you are a BHPian and reading this. I know I didn't say much through my delirium. My heartfelt gratitude to all you did for me that day, and my respect for the selflessness you displayed. I know exactly what to do if I ever witness a road accident going forward due to you. God bless your soul.

kudos to Dr. Abhilash, but one question - did you wear a helmet?

I had a similar accident 7 years ago, with a hand-rickshaw, I was travelling at 60kmph on a highway, when this guy kumped a divider and came about 10ft. in front of me. I hit him, somersaulted over the rick and landed on my head.

Glasses smashed, clothes were torn, several bruises and I was out for a few minutes (people lifted me and scooter and put me on side of the road) but my Nokia was working so I could call my father and despite landing on my head, I didn't really have much of an injury - was back home same day and in office the next.

I have been a helmet fanatic ever since.
Old 6th October 2012, 01:43   #17
BHPian

Man, that sure does sound nasty! Glad that you were helped out by a selfless individual. It does take a really good heart to actually take time out to help a fellow human being out. Hats off to Dr Abhilash!

Auto Rickshaws are crossing all limits drawn, day by day. I really do not know if anything can be done to curb the menace. Sadly, the antics performed by a few ricks affects the entire autorickshaw clan. Hope Bajaj's RE200 introduces a much needed change!
Old 6th October 2012, 07:35   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Get well soonest and count your lucky stars.

While most of us do love to read about good smartians we are normally the first ones to not be one. Kudos to Dr. Abhilash.

One point though. I am not aware of the location or if the road you are mentioning was a one way street. If it was not then you were yourself breaking lane discipline which is so sorely needed.

Even if you are on bike and it was a one way street still squeezing in between lanes and vehicles is not correct traffic sense. I have seen bikers getting hurt, due to some one opening a vehicle door suddenly to step out or a pedestrian suddenly run across from between two parked vehicles, because they feel lane discipline is not for them and its right to go to head of queue of stationary vehicles. Many times.

Contrary to what I see being done by 99-9% bikers in India the correct method is to wait in lane with traffic.
sudev is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th October 2012, 14:21   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Contrary to what I see being done by 99-9% bikers in India the correct method is to wait in lane with traffic.
Thanks for your wishes. While I do agree that I am not a 100% wait in lane guy, I do not indulge in the usual biker antics. I do stick to lane where warranted and use indicators ALWAYS. In this case, it was a two way street, there were no lane markings (as expected) and there was enough room to the left hand side of the center line for a small LCV.. which one can assume as a lane . I guess I was not really guilty of squeezing between vehicles. It was just a freak accident caused by a freak auto driver who can really do 90 degree maneuvers without looking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vina View Post
did you wear a helmet?
Thankfully I did, and I always have. I did take a whack on the head when I fell, and my LS2 took all the impact.

Last edited by reswaran : 8th October 2012 at 14:25. Reason: missed a quote
Old 10th October 2012, 21:14   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by reswaran View Post
Thanks for your wishes.
Hi Reswaran,

We put out a broadcast on our facebook page, just to see if we could find this man - so that he could be thanked: LINK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team-BHP on Facebook
*Paging Dr. Abhilash, with a french beard!*

A Bangalore BHPian involved in a bike accident (splintered forearm, severed finger, fractured metacarpal and a dislocated elbow) wants to thank you for the help you provided as nothing more than a stranger on the street. He does not have your contact details, but perhaps someone here has a clue as to who you might be... Anyone?

Remember guys, a little help goes a long way! Ride safe.
And a gent has replied, saying that his brother in Bangalore is "Dr. Abhilash". Do feel free to follow it up and check if its the same man who helped you:
https://www.facebook.com/teambhp/pos...51178445074647

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th October 2012, 22:25   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Hi Reswaran,

We put out a broadcast on our facebook page, just to see if we could find this man - so that he could be thanked
This is so cool! Thanks a lot!
reswaran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2012, 07:33   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

@reswaran, did you check :
http://www.facebook.com/crushedpasar...lashpr?fref=ts
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2012, 13:19   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac187 View Post
OMG, thats a horrible crash. Its a horrible sight for family members to see one of theirs in hospital. Hope they are holding up well. Please take care and avoid getting back on the saddle for a while.

I hope someone got hold of the auto guy, I would like to see these idiots weeded out from this city.

We need more people like Dr. Abhilash. No selfless deed goes wasted, may God bless you.
If this makes u feel better, I had almost the same kind of accident, again auto Walla jumping out from a lane of standing traffic, however I was in my safari and similar crash, but then I have massive bull bars... So result auto crumpled into a ball, auto driver fell onto the median cut up and bloody. Best thing people sided me and thrashed the auto guy some more...
Old 12th October 2012, 15:38   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
If this makes u feel better, ..... auto driver fell onto the median cut up and bloody. Best thing people sided me and thrashed the auto guy some more...
Not sure how this is supposed to make reswaran feel any better

In fact, it seems to be the opposite of what has been shared in this thread so far!

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th October 2012, 22:24   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Not sure how this is supposed to make reswaran feel any better
Well, am reaaly pi$$ed that I won't be making my annual Goa ride ritual this year. My baby is all banged up, needs a new headlight assembly, front fork sleeves, fuel tank (somehow seems to have gone past the dented stage to the cracked stage), both sets of footpegs, set of rear view mirrors, side air filter box and brake oil housing. And not to mention, I cant feel a few fingers and a good part of my forearm so far.

There's really little that can make me feel better!
Old 15th October 2012, 17:17   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Thanks @Condor and @Rehaan. This gentleman you've pointed me to, sadly, isn't the person I'm looking for. The best possible way to repay this person seems to be to follow suit. Don't think I will be able to ignore an accident scene from now on.
reswaran is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th November 2012, 18:13   #27
BHPian

I finally paid my dues yesterday. Was being driven (!!) back home from an errand, when I witnessed a smash up, a guy on a red Hero Honda Passion plowed into a car waiting to take a U turn near the shell petrol pump at Siddapura on the Varthur road. He looked pretty shocked, and his left ankle was at a 90 degree angle to the rest of his leg!!

Couple of bystanders loaded him into the back of our humble Maruti 800 and I was able to drop him off at Yashomathi hospital near Marathahalli. This incident further taught me to never be scared of helping an accident victim. Most hospitals don't bug good Samaritans. The guys at Yashomati trauma/emergency ward realized I was just dropping him off, and waited for his friends to do all the paperwork. whilst at the same time tending to his injuries.

However if you decide to help an accident victim, keep the following in mind:

1. Assess if the victim can be moved. Moving a victim with head,neck and spinal injuries can be fatal.
2. If first aid cannot be administered on the spot and the victim is stable, remember to secure the victims personal belongings befoe shifting him to the hospital. Bike keys, wallet, phone, laptop etc.
3. Make a note of how the incident occured and registration numbers of the vehicles involved.
4. Call friends/family and wait for them to arrive. Pass on information about the incident.
5. In most cases, calling an ambulance is the best way to go

Mods, request you to please please merge this post to a more relevant thread, there's information to be shared!

Last edited by Rehaan : 20th November 2012 at 14:44. Reason: @reswaran - regarding your "what to do" points, we do have another thread on that topic, just quote your post there. Cheers!
reswaran is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th November 2012, 19:11   #28
BHPian

Get well soon reswaran.
Selfless act from Dr. Abilash is really commendable. By emulating him, we can make Bangalore much better place to live.
ksaurabh21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2012, 15:36   #29
Senior - BHPian

Maneuverability of three wheelers, a boon to them in tight traffic conditions, is in many cases bane to fellow road users. Especially if the driver is reckless and unthinking.

Last edited by simplyself : 19th November 2012 at 15:43.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks