Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2006, 17:25   #16
BHPian

Ok after reading this post I will never park my vehicle near a coconut tree, now will park under the adjacent tree which is a JACKFRUIT tree

Cheers....MAjor
Old 11th May 2006, 18:28   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by major
Ok after reading this post I will never park my vehicle near a coconut tree, now will park under the adjacent tree which is a JACKFRUIT tree

Cheers....MAjor
That's not a good idea, i had a dent on the lhs rear door of my cielo, i thought the driver had banged it somewhere, but he swore his innocence, on observing minutely i discovered vertical scratches near the dent like something fell from above, then it dawned on me that i had parked it under a jackfruit tree in my farm and that was the cause.
Old 11th May 2006, 20:47   #18
jat
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by major

Cheers....MAjor
Just think if watermelons grew on trees.
Old 11th May 2006, 21:32   #19
BHPian

too bad shrivz.. but s*** happens !

had a similar experience with uncle's OHC - some guy was called to take off coconuts from a tree in his neighbour's compound - and guess what ? this coconut-remover guy threw down 3 coconuts directly on the car - one landed on the front windshield and two on the bonnet... take that.
Old 11th May 2006, 21:42   #20
BANNED

im used to this now my compound has close to 8 trees. my accent has 4 dents on top, wanna guess who dun it
Old 11th May 2006, 22:09   #21
Team-BHP Support

What happened to that coconut?
Did you have the water?
Keeping it as a memento?
Used it against insurance agent for charging 1000/-?
Old 11th May 2006, 22:22   #22
DRC
BHPian

Funny but sad too..

Yes, They do happen. Here are a few deep impacts I have seen /heard

One of my neighbours in mysore had a same problem..
He had a premier padmini (very old), One day coconut fell on his cars rear fender, He used to park his car in the front yard, which had a coconut tree. He fixed the car spending some money. and spent some more money to get a plastic sheet roofing done, One more coconut fell, passing through the plastic sheet and again on the hood. more damage, more money spent, again fixed the car, and roof too.

When he decided to sell the car some day later, the price offered was.....15K

One of colleagues had parker his siena when somebody threw some construction material, Had to spend 14K

Last edited by DRC : 11th May 2006 at 22:24.
Old 11th May 2006, 22:25   #23
DRC
BHPian

Coconuts fall not just because they are ripe/old, but because of squirrels cut the stalk
Old 11th May 2006, 22:49   #24
BHPian

I too park sometimes under a coconut tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosfreak
.... Some trees gorw old n the coconuts become dry(brown in colour), thats the time u shouldn't park anyting under it, caz surely it will fall.
That's correct, me too, just see up to check if any would fall on the car!!
Old 11th May 2006, 23:12   #25
BHPian

@technocrat: it was bad!!! the rear windshield, rubber beading, sealent and labour was inall quoted to be Rs. 5500/- got 100% insurance for the glass & labour.. & 50% for the rubber beading and sealent....

@rudra: i had kept the coconut on my rear seat and had taken it to the insurance office.. someone flicked it from the car!!!!!!!!

@DRC: I agree.. squirrils play a major role in cutting the stalks of coconuts...
Old 12th May 2006, 03:39   #26
Team-BHP Support

A few years back a coconut fell right besides me on a (hold you breath) freshly rio kitted white ohc vtec at carter's. the guy's heart was in his mouth. thankfully it didn't fall on one of the many people standin around the car.

manson.
Old 12th May 2006, 07:01   #27
BHPian

NO ONE BUT NO ONE knows more about coconuts falling on cars than me .. i live in an old building and the only place that i can park is under 3 coconut trees .. wanna know what's even better ?? they are'nt even our trees .. they're from the neighbour's place and they lean over .. right above my car .. ALL my cars have suffered from coconut bashing .. fortunately my Amby, Fiat and 800 only suffered body bashings while my poor Esteem also got a smashed windshield .. i've spent so much money fixing dents from coconuts over the years it ain't funny .. i'm so fed up now that i've just left my Esteem as it is .. it looks battered and bashed from the outside and people look at it and assume that i'm either a lousy driver or that i just don't care for my car .. BUT i've finally managed to get the building people to agree to allow me put a net above my car .. so now once the net goes up .. i can finally do up my car .. i'm just wondering if the net will hold .. anyone got any other ideas .. anyone in bombay know someone who'll carry out those ideas .. i'm listenin'
Old 12th May 2006, 09:07   #28
BHPian

@revvhead: tie a net around the coconuts in the tree with permission from the neighbouring society.. that will hold.. the amt of Potential Energy those coconuts posess is not funny... This in return gets converted into Kinetic enrgy while faling down :>.. if the net is on the tree itself, a falling cocnut wont have enough KE to rip the net apart.. and just imagine, if a coconut can smash your windshield, what's a net above your car gonna do!!!
Old 12th May 2006, 10:32   #29
BHPian

Shrivz,very rightly said,
In my native place(in Karnataka), we have our farm full of coconut trees.....its a common sight to see the coconuts falling here and there...
Also,sometimes,the monkeys play havoc ,we really have to scare them using airguns,stones etc. or else they cause considerable damage !

Also,for areas which is in-habitted by humans,we have the nets on the coconut tree to prevent them from falling on someone's head ....we have already had few intances where someone was injured due to a falling coconut ...so,most of the houses have this as a precautionary measure only for such accident-prone areas....it is very difficult to put a net around all the coconut trees though...there are hundreds of them in a single farm !
Old 12th May 2006, 11:56   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revvhed
they are'nt even our trees .. they're from the neighbour's place and they lean over .. right above my car .. anyone got any other ideas. i'm listenin'
revvhed, since the trees belong to your neighbour, you could follow what we do in similar cases in Kerala. Ask the neighbour to force the tree away from your property. This can be done by pulling the tree away from your property by tying steel wires to the top most portion of its trunk and anchoring it to another tree on their land so that the coconut tree changes the course it follows. Might sound impossible to guys not used to coconut trees, but this is a solution that we use very much in Kerala. And BTW, legally your neighbour is bound to take action or you can have the trees cut so that it is not onto your property. Hope this helps.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks