Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2006, 22:32   #1
BHPian

Bad experience with coconuts

Guys.. I've had a very bad experience with coconuts!!!
(in the literal sense)

had parked my car at night under a coconut tree at my house as usual.. and went off to bed early...

the next day my mom woke me up at 7.00am and told me that a coconut had smashed my rear windshield in the morning at around 5.00am (i was shocked since my family trusted that good 'ol tree for the past 20 yrs.. it had never caused us damage ).. i jumped out of bed and went to check the damage... it was horrfying.. the whole windshield was smashed and glass was all over the place.. the thing that worried me the most was the glass in my JBL's (will get them checked before i fit them back)...

I removed the speakers before starting the car and cleaned them very carefully..

I then moved my car away from the coconut tree...

One more thing.. i had to run all over town to get my claim form and submit it.. i have Oriental insurance's policy.. Will be shifting to maruti insurance once it expires... Oriental has this wiered rule of charging Rs. 1000/- per claim!!! do other insurance companies charge such amounts??

anyways.. it was a very bad experience (I learnt my lesson: never trust a coconut tree)...

anyone having similar experiences, please post!
Old 10th May 2006, 22:40   #2
BHPian

so sad, a faith of 20 years got tarnished with just one incident!
consider yourself lucky that you didn't slept under that tree on that eventful night!

did JBLs suffered any damage?

one similar incident happened in our colony, where a monkey pushed a brick kept on the roof's boundary wall and it landed on a M800's top-edge of A-pillar (very near to the place for radio antenna) and then it bounced or don't know how, landed on bonnet and made a good impression on that too and rested there!
luckily, that owner was few seconds away while coming to use his car!

such donations from sky are not welcome at all at certain times!

Last edited by revharder : 10th May 2006 at 22:42.
Old 10th May 2006, 22:53   #3
Senior - BHPian

lol couldnt help. Imagine Kerala. Land of coconuts! I always park my car away frm it. Better be safe than be sorry. WAsnt ur windscreen the laminated type?

and ever heard of people throwing coins when tehy see places of religious workship? My old car had a small dent when it was one week old. One 5rs coined bounced after it hit teh road after being thrown by a bus passenger towards the place of religious workship. I thought my screen with break! lucky me. I have seen a car which infact had a nice hold of a big coconut size coz of this and a doc who lost his eye in teh same way!

Last edited by jkdas : 10th May 2006 at 22:57.
Old 10th May 2006, 23:02   #4
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrivz
coconut had smashed my rear windshield in the morning at around 5.00am
That sucks! Since it is a tree in your house, have you considered getting someone to tie a net around the coconuts? In a few months you are going to forget about the tree, and park it at the usual parking spot.
Old 11th May 2006, 09:42   #5
BHPian

the worst thing is when kids from the overhead bridges on the expressway throw small pellets on cars passing by.. those pellets hit like bullets at speeds like 120 - 140kmph..

@prasadee: will put the net soon... and i agree abt parking the car back it its usual spot!!! it happens instinctively...

@jkdas: i dont think my windshield was the laminated type and i dont think maruti gives laminated windshields in the rear...

will post pics soon...
Old 11th May 2006, 10:10   #6
BHPian

One of the first things my father taught me was , after parking look up and check whether there are any thing with any probability of falling down. Has been one of my golden rules.

Deepu
deepug is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2006, 12:50   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas
lol couldnt help. Imagine Kerala. Land of coconuts! I always park my car away frm it. Better be safe than be sorry. WAsnt ur windscreen the laminated type?

and ever heard of people throwing coins when tehy see places of religious workship? My old car had a small dent when it was one week old. One 5rs coined bounced after it hit teh road after being thrown by a bus passenger towards the place of religious workship. I thought my screen with break! lucky me. I have seen a car which infact had a nice hold of a big coconut size coz of this and a doc who lost his eye in teh same way!
Coins Vs coconuts, i would chose a coin rather than a coconut , Btw i travalled to kerala by M1000, Stayed at my uncles place surrounded by coconut trees, but not even one fell. Some trees gorw old n the coconuts become dry(brown in colour), thats the time u shouldn't park anyting under it, caz surely it will fall.

Last edited by nosfreak : 11th May 2006 at 13:00.
Old 11th May 2006, 12:51   #8
Senior - BHPian

Well, it is said in Kerala (call it folklore or whatever) that no one will have coconuts falling on their heads. But, it does not hold for cars, I guess.
supremeBaleno is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2006, 15:56   #9
BHPian

sorry to hear about your car shrivz

i had heard this one from my husband, a customer came to him with a broken front windsheild, the reason, somebody residing in his building had kept a small stool, the flat ones used in kitchen, in the box grill and it slipped and fell on the windsheild of his car parked below the window.

these kind of things do happen but coconuts are surely very heavy and they cause considerable damage when they fall form a height.

as far as insurane companies are concerned they charge claim charges varying from Rs 500/- to Rs 1000/-.

i paid a claim charge of Rs 500/- for the last claim and the insurance company is United India.

Shubbhi
Old 11th May 2006, 16:06   #10
BANNED

Heh. Once I opened the door of my Gypsy King and found a hole in the soft top canvas and a coconut sitting in the driver's seat. Damn thing had fallen right through the little transparent plastic window, which was the only part of the soft top that wasn't strong enough for the impact.
Old 11th May 2006, 16:10   #11
BHPian

Hey man sad to hear abt that .Well now u can't do much abt that, anyways make sure u never park ur car under a coconut tree, one way i would consider u to be lucky coz the cocont only fell on ur rear glass, imagine if it would have fell on the roof or ur car, leaving behind a big dent !!!!
Old 11th May 2006, 16:11   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas

Oh Ya in kerala it happens ... Nerchapetti right
Old 11th May 2006, 16:19   #13
Senior - BHPian

Damn that must have felt bad :(

Btw how much does the windshield cost ?
Old 11th May 2006, 16:26   #14
Team-BHP Support

Bad experience with coconuts

....on reading that, I was thinking of a different sort of coconuts! Those can get dangerous as well at times!
Rtech is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2006, 17:17   #15
Senior - BHPian

Happens all the time.
Its just plain luck. My cars have had some experience with coconuts.
Since then, i always look up the windshield and park my car.
Never near a tall coconut tree.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks