Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2013, 22:22   #1
BHPian

Hats off to Bangalore Police! Eve-Teasers caught after Facebook complaint

Backdrop:-

11th March 2013 :- One Akshay Kingar made a complaint on the Bangalore Police facebook page about two boys eye-teasing him and his other female friends while they were crossing the road. He also posted a pic of the eye-teasers on their bike. The police tracked down the bike to a particular area, however the accused were no where to be found

Hats off to Bangalore Police! Eve-Teasers caught after Facebook complaint-bangaloretrafficpolice.jpg

13th March 2013:- The Bangalore Police have not only identified the accused but the accused are now in police custody for further interrogation .

Name:  Bangalorecitypolicefb2.png
Views: 11991
Size:  271.0 KB

Admirable response from Bangalore City Police to say the least.
If we want a better society that not only respects the rights of its individuals but also protects the same then this is the only way forward.

If only the police of other states would adopt a similar practice !

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 14th March 2013 at 12:20. Reason: Correcting. Back to original.
Enigmatic is online now   (42) Thanks
Old 13th March 2013, 22:38   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Hats off to Bangalore Police! Eve-Teasers caught after Facebook complaint

Kudos to Bangy cops for posting updates online. Am I seeing a new trend for a better India? I sincerely hope so.
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2013, 23:19   #3
BHPian

Congratulations to Bangalore police. Appreciate the complainants for taking this up seriously. Hope this reaches the logical end and sets a benchmark for betterment of society.
Old 14th March 2013, 00:25   #4
Senior - BHPian

Seriously, I didn't believe when i first read it. Saw it on FB and assumed that this would be conveniently ignored by the police. I now stand corrected and also, raise my hand in appreciation of the effort of the policemen. This goes to prove that not everyone in Khakhi are ignorant towards the common mans problems. Keep up the good work!!

Last edited by GTO : 14th March 2013 at 13:31. Reason: PM coming up
Old 14th March 2013, 02:05   #5
Senior - BHPian

I read it on fb and thought nothing would happen and they'd go scott free, happy to be proved otherwise!

Kudos to BTP for the effort.
Old 14th March 2013, 03:42   #6
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 14th March 2013 at 13:31.
Superleggera is offline   Received Infraction
Old 14th March 2013, 05:46   #7
BHPian

Good job Bangalore police. Terming such harrassment as "teasing" is actually trivialising the matter. Women are not to be teased or pranked at for being them. I also sincerely hope the cops charge them with riding without helmet.
Iluvcars is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2013, 06:13   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvcars View Post
I also sincerely hope the cops charge them with riding without helmet.
That's a very good observation. He is also making a sexually offensive gesture that has been caught on camera, presumably directed at the women, so at the very least he can be booked for the traffic-helmet violation and for sexual harassment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatic View Post
about two boys eye-teasing him and his other female friends
Well they can't really be eve teasing him (or "outraging his modesty" as the Indian Penal Code terms it) as that is an offensive reserved for women, but surely harassing him and possibly intimidating him.

On the flipside, this phenomenon of online reporting of crimes using electronic evidence requires further scrutiny before being put in place, only because of the sheer amount of reputational harm that would come with scamsters with access to cheap camera phones looking to harass people.

For example, if in an incident of road rage if someone has cut you off, to then provoke the other person by cutting them off or shunting them and then to record their actions once they flare up. Clearly this would present just one side of the story on a public media to a huge number of viewers.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 14th March 2013 at 12:21. Reason: Correcting. Back to original.
Motored Mindset is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th March 2013, 07:14   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

I read about this on FB and ignored it thinking that this would never see any action whatsoever. But its good and refreshing to see the cops take notice of it and take the necessary action. I think the only way we can probably hope of bringing a change in our society specially w.r.t. to crime against women then we need to change ourselves. Just like in this pic the road is full of traffic in the middle of the day. And still these morons find the courage to harass a women. Why can't the fellow commuters on the road nab these idiots there and then. Bangalore roads are anyways choked with traffic and its not really easy to make a fast exit even on a bike.
Old 14th March 2013, 07:36   #10
Team-BHP Support

Just like drmohitg, I did see this being shared on Facebook quite often but I read it and ignored it. Hats off to Bangalore police for taking action against the complaint. I have seen similar Facebook groups for Pune, Bombay and Delhi traffic police but most of them are pretty much dead by now.

Delhi police used to do an incredible job as long as Commissioner Satyendra Garg was in-charge. Pune police traffic police page used to be very active when ACP Manoj Patil was in-charge. I guess as and when these guys are transferred, their initiatives dwindle out slowly.

Last edited by moralfibre : 15th March 2013 at 10:27.
Old 14th March 2013, 07:49   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motored Mindset View Post

Well they can't really be eve teasing him (or "outraging his modesty" as the Indian Penal Code terms it) as that is an offensive reserved for women, but surely harassing him and possibly intimidating him.
If you go by the legal definition then eye-teasing is not defined in our Indian Penal Code(IPC).

However protection against eye-teasing is available under three sections of the IPC.

Section 509 and Section 354 relate to the modesty of a women whereas Section 294 can be used by both the sexes as it talks about "Obscene acts to the annoyance of others". Hence even men can claim that they were at the receiving end of eye-teasing .
Enigmatic is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2013, 11:56   #12
BHPian

Great job Bangalore police.

I am not concerned if eve-teasing is defined in IPC or not. Just the fact that cops caught the two guys based on a photo in facebook if good enough for the following reasons:
1. It will discourage people from eve-teasing
2. It will encourage some guys to take photos of miscreants while eve-teasing
3. I am sure the cops would have given the duo an apt lesson such that they will never repeat this again in their lifetime.

(I am somehow reminded of Yeti's post where he mentioned about some eve-teasers taking inappropriate pictures of ladies in TajMahal and what treatment was meted out to those guys by Agra cops)
Old 14th March 2013, 12:03   #13
Senior - BHPian

Good show Bangalore police. Good use of online forums and technology to catch hold of such cheap criminals. Now I hope these goons are given the famous chilli paste treatment, to cure them permanently of all kinds of eve teasing thoughts.
Old 14th March 2013, 12:09   #14
BHPian

Good work Bangalore Police! a shining example for all Police forces in the country to follow!
Regards,
Ashok
Old 14th March 2013, 12:31   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatic View Post
If you go by the legal definition then eye-teasing is not defined in our Indian Penal Code(IPC).

However protection against eye-teasing is available under three sections of the IPC.

Section 509 and Section 354 relate to the modesty of a women whereas Section 294 can be used by both the sexes as it talks about "Obscene acts to the annoyance of others". Hence even men can claim that they were at the receiving end of eye-teasing .
There's a fine line between eve-teasing and eye-teasing (I'm assuming it means staring at). How can one differentiate and take a call?
In today's context it would be considered as eve-teasing. Going by the pictures and their postures, it is eve-teasing as one can label as.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks