Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2013, 09:39   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: Loneliest Road Stretch in (South) India

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBoss View Post
Any permit required to drive through this road? If required, from where and what are the formalities? Is it issued upon application? Kindly help
I'm not aware of any permits that are required to drive on that road. We didn't take any pass or permit since one of my friend knew a forest officer there. Maybe others who have driven on that road can tell about the permits.
Old 24th May 2013, 03:56   #77
BHPian

One of the loneliest roads I've ever travelled on in South India is the Karwar-Belgaum Road, that connects through Nandgad -> Joida -> Anshi to Karwar. This road travels through lush and beautiful forests for the most part, and is in quite good condition as you get closer to Karwar, but a large part of it is quite bad.

Attached are some pictures from a drive I undertook during August 2009 in these parts

Loneliest Road Stretch in (South) India-dscf1676.jpg Loneliest Road Stretch in (South) India-dscf1705.jpg

Loneliest Road Stretch in (South) India-dscf1708.jpg Loneliest Road Stretch in (South) India-dscf1720.jpg
Old 24th May 2013, 15:29   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayofLife View Post
One of the loneliest roads I've ever travelled on in South India is the Karwar-Belgaum Road, that connects through Nandgad -> Joida -> Anshi to Karwar. This road travels through lush and beautiful forests for the most part, and is in quite good condition as you get closer to Karwar, but a large part of it is quite bad.

Sure this road is lonely? I have traveled this road (Joida -> Anshi to Karwar) quite number of times and I have seen good amount of traffic.

Also the falls in last photo is well known in the route.
Old 24th May 2013, 15:42   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500ContyCruiser View Post
Sure this road is lonely? I have traveled this road (Joida -> Anshi to Karwar) quite number of times and I have seen good amount of traffic.

May be because it was the monsoons and raining heavily on that day, I saw less traffic (almost no traffic) on it.

I've never been on that road since- however, on that particular day (it was around 2 in the afternoon when just my wife and I were driving on that road), it was a bit scary since the road was bad, I was still new to driving at the time, and there was no one else on the road other than a stray truck or two that we encountered every 20 or 30 km . The route we took while coming to Belgaum was NH-4, but decided to return via Karwar, just to see what the roads are like.

I really enjoyed that drive, and it was the one that got me started on road-trips.

Now (almost 4 years later), a lot of places have changed, and I'm pretty sure this road has changed too.
Old 24th May 2013, 17:40   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayofLife View Post
May be because it was the monsoons and raining heavily on that day, I saw less traffic (almost no traffic) on it.

I've never been on that road since- however, on that particular day (it was around 2 in the afternoon when just my wife and I were driving on that road), it was a bit scary since the road was bad, I was still new to driving at the time, and there was no one else on the road other than a stray truck or two that we encountered every 20 or 30 km . The route we took while coming to Belgaum was NH-4, but decided to return via Karwar, just to see what the roads are like.

I really enjoyed that drive, and it was the one that got me started on road-trips.

Now (almost 4 years later), a lot of places have changed, and I'm pretty sure this road has changed too.
Yes, probably due to rain there would have less vehicles in that route.
Old 4th June 2013, 13:24   #81
BHPian

Surprisingly - the loneliest stretch was Nanjangud - Nilambur for me on a trip to Bangalore to Kottayam. Night traffic through Bandipur was still open and Salem highway was not too good back then. The vehicle was my cousin's Pajero. Initial plan was to start by 4:30am and to take mettur-bhavani-avinashi route. But I don't know what got into my mind - I hit the road at 1:30am and decided to go through Bandipur. By the the time I crossed Nanjangud , I repented the decision - It started raining cats and dogs and unusually there was hardly another vehicle. I reached Bandipur around 6:00 , but it was still pitch dark. There was an occassional truck/bus passing by but nothing in the direction I was heading. I could feel my mouth going dry and really it was scary. I relaxed only when I saw a road side tea stall at Nilambur. This was one occassion where destination was more important than the Journey.

But the scariest was Guwahati to Shillong at night. Winding narrow roads and with huge trucks all along.

Last edited by JoeMichael : 4th June 2013 at 13:33.
JoeMichael is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2013, 23:34   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Loneliest road I have ridden so far in South is, between Kaiga and Igundi (on Hubli-Ankola road) at 3:00 am on my two wheeler.
How is this road from Idgundi to karwar. I know it is single and lonely stretch. But how about the road condition? petrol pump / restaurants enroute ?? anything worth watching other than a glimpse of Kaiga Atomic power plant?
Old 4th December 2013, 00:06   #83
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Is is the same one which is close to the Kadra junction, where there is the temple? Or the one further down?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkamath View Post
How is this road from Idgundi to karwar. I know it is single and lonely stretch. But how about the road condition? petrol pump / restaurants enroute ?? anything worth watching other than a glimpse of Kaiga Atomic power plant?
Just lush green forests. There is one more waterfall on this route. But by and large a complete forest road and also narrow. And yes its desolate as both public buses and private vehicles avoid it. The movement on this road is recorded from Kadra dam side.

Last edited by ampere : 4th December 2013 at 00:08.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2013, 00:12   #84
BHPian

Mallandur to Galikere via Mutthodi in Karnataka.
Old 4th December 2013, 00:16   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Just lush green forests. There is one more waterfall on this route. But by and large a complete forest road and also narrow. And yes its desolate as both public buses and private vehicles avoid it. The movement on this road is recorded from Kadra dam side.
Good to know. But what is the reason private vehicles avoid it? The distance is just about same to Karwar ( around 6 Kms more) Is it because of the restrictions on Kadra Dam side? I read in this forum that the road was earlier closed and is now open since a couple of years But more than that how is the road condition? is it motorable? coz bad narrow forest roads are not my forte. The 'bad' part of road removes the fun in riding.

Last edited by ashkamath : 4th December 2013 at 00:20.
Old 4th December 2013, 00:33   #86
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Good to know. But what is the reason private vehicles avoid it? The distance is just about same to Karwar ( around 6 Kms more) Is it because of the restrictions on Kadra Dam side? I read in this forum that the road was earlier closed and is now open since a couple of years.
Not the Kadra dam, but Kaiga Power plant. At some point in time the road was blocked for traffic itself. Its now open, but still people avoid thanks to it being desolate and having no support. Buses need not take that route because they have stop points at Karwar/Ankola. Very few buses starts from Kadra.

As regards to private traffic:
- There is hardly any in the first place to use this road.
- And you need a reason to go that place ! Either an extreme tourist visiting the place or a local resident. Then only you can think of taking that road!
Old 4th December 2013, 00:40   #87
BHPian

Quote:
As mentioned by Ampere, its a narrow road through dense forest. Apart from Kaiga bird view and one more falls, nothing much. But you are interested, there are lots of tribal villages around, you can visit them.

Its been almost 2 years I have ridden in that road. So, cannot comment on the current road condition.

Check this..
http://indimotardadventures.blogspot...k-commute.html

Quote:
Is is the same one which is close to the Kadra junction, where there is the temple? Or the one further down?
Yes, I believe we talked about this route earlier also.

Quote:
Good to know. But what is the reason private vehicles avoid it? The distance is just about same to Karwar ( around 6 Kms more) Is it because of the restrictions on Kadra Dam side? I read in this forum that the road was earlier closed and is now open since a couple of years But more than that how is the road condition? is it motorable? coz bad narrow forest roads are not my forte. The 'bad' part of road removes the fun in riding.
As this is narrow road, people avoid it. There is no support between Kaiga - Idgundi.

Yes, it is very much motor-able. However need to check current road conditions.
Old 4th December 2013, 00:41   #88
BHPian

Quote:
- And you need a reason to go that place ! Either an extreme tourist visiting the place or a local resident. Then only you can think of taking that road!
I misread it - Either an extremist visiting the place or a local resident. Then only you can think of taking that road ! Then a careful going thru put my mind at ease . I am not an extreme tourist, but guess I have to ride this route. will arrange a day's ride with friends - Goa-Karwar-Ankola -Idgundi - Virje- Karwar- Goa. will be about 400 Kms in all. Should be fun !!
Old 4th December 2013, 00:47   #89
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I misread it - Either an extremist visiting the place or a local resident. Then only you can think of taking that road ! Then a careful going thru put my mind at ease . I am not an extreme tourist, but guess I have to ride this route. will arrange a day's ride with friends - Goa-Karwar-Ankola -Idgundi - Virje- Karwar- Goa. will be about 400 Kms in all. Should be fun !!
Maybe what you can do is:

Drive to Yellapur on day 1. Stay for a couple of days. Visit Magod/Sathodi/Jenukallugudda etc.

On the way back drive via this route.

Some snaps :
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post2118032
Old 4th December 2013, 00:48   #90
BHPian

Quote:
I remember, check-post security were asking us the reason on why we are taking this route. They warned us that, there will be no help what-so-ever if something goes wrong.

Since we were riding at 3:30 am.. it was like home-delivery for the hungry predators
500ContyCruiser is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks