Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2013, 15:45   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Driverless Esteem spotted in Bangalore. EDIT : Hoax - See video on Page 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by allajunaki View Post
EPS motors have enough power to turn the wheels all by itself.
However, If I recollect right, the Esteem came with a HPS and not EPS.
How about making the esteem do the same with its EPS system? As obviously if a car is designed to park on its own then its EPS will be strong enough to turn on its own. What about the esteem?

Intially the esteem came with HPS which was later discontinued and EPS was introduced.
Old 11th June 2013, 15:51   #47
BHPian

Most probably he is doing something similar to this driver who was witnessed being seated on the passenger seat reading a newspaper while the car was being driven with no one in the driver's seat. (watch the video from 9:20 onwards to see him demonstrate how he does it)

It turns out that he extends his legs from the passenger seat to the driver's footwell and modulates the accelerator/brake/clutch and holds the steering with his right hand at the bottom of the steering so you can't see him steering.

I think if you are reasonably tall and flexible you can do this with some practice.

Old 11th June 2013, 16:03   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
How about making the esteem do the same with its EPS system? As obviously if a car is designed to park on its own then its EPS will be strong enough to turn on its own. What about the esteem?

Intially the esteem came with HPS which was later discontinued and EPS was introduced.
The esteem never had EPS it always has Hydraulic PS
Old 11th June 2013, 16:11   #49
BHPian

After reading all the comments on this thread all I can say is that; across the globe people or companies who are testing/driving driver less vehicles do so on dedicated lanes or places where it is not hazardous to others.

Imagine our very own Indian doing it on Indian roads WOW. This guy must be immediately flown to the west to demonstrate this so called "technology" . Come on folks this guy appears to be one of those attention seekers trying to pull a fast one!
Old 11th June 2013, 16:16   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astleviz View Post
Most probably he is doing something similar to this driver who was witnessed being seated on the passenger seat reading a newspaper while the car was being driven with no one in the driver's seat....
Yes he's doing the same thing. Search for Bhale Sarthi - Car without driver on youtube. Shows some clip from Suvarna News(kannada channel). You can see the same guy and the same Esteem. Link below. Some losers will go to any extent to get some attention. Case closed.

Last edited by longhorn : 11th June 2013 at 16:24.
longhorn is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th June 2013, 16:37   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
Yes he's doing the same thing. Search for Bhale Sarthi - Car without driver on Youtube. Shows some clip from Suvarna News(kannada channel). You can see the same guy and the same Esteem. Link below. Some losers will go to any extent to get some attention. Case closed.
Yes this video says it all and this case of the driver less car can rest for now

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 12th June 2013 at 16:16. Reason: fixing quote
Old 11th June 2013, 16:43   #52
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Saw the video. What I noted was that he is sitting askew - which could mean he is operating the pedals but there does not seem to be corresponding movement of the lower limbs.
I also saw him placing a finger lightly on the steering wheel. This would not be sufficient to steer the vehicle in traffic considering that in some portions of the video he was moving quite fast.
Am unable to make head or tail of this really...and yes, it is the same car that we saw. I don't remember the number but I do remember it was a black Esteem. I also cannot recognize the driver because I did not get a good look at him when we saw the car near Adugodi.

[quote=sumathindra;3146186]
Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
Yes he's doing the same thing. Search for Bhale Sarthi - Car without driver on Youtube. Shows some clip from Suvarna News(kannada channel). You can see the same guy and the same Esteem. Link below. Some losers will go to any extent to get some attention. Case closed.

Yes this video says it all and this case of the driver less car can rest for now
Old 11th June 2013, 17:12   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a*ed View Post
Are you talking about the pic in the opening post and the pic provided by GTO in post #8 being same?
If yes, GTO added the pic in the opening post. Mentioned in the editing comments at the end of that post.
Thanks a*ed for pointing it out. I missed out on GTOs edit note.

However that means the car has been in the team-bhp radar for more than a year,and still we are unable to catch the trick!!!
Old 11th June 2013, 17:25   #54
BHPian

Shankar, if you'll go through the entire video that longhorn has mentioned, there are a few shots from inside the car when you can clearly see the movement of his feet. He can be seen modulating the accelerator and brakes with his feet.
Also when he driving in a straight line, he uses his fingers to make minor corrections to the steering but when he turns, he actually grabs the steering and turns it around just like a normal driver.
Infact I just tried it in my car a while ago. I was able to drive the car for a short distance (a 30m empty stretch in front of my driveway) without any incident. I didn't bother taking a turn or driving in traffic as I find that reckless to do this on public roads but I'm sure with sufficient practice almost anyone can pull this off.
Old 11th June 2013, 17:31   #55
BHPian

LOL. Driverless car indeed! I've been in a "driverless car", more out of necessity rather than inventing something new. Years ago, in Bangalore I used to drive a Fiat 1100 D. I had gone to some concert at Tamarind tree and while getting back it began to rain cats and dogs. Now the driver's side windshield wiper wasn't working, and only the passenger side one worked. So to see through that downpour, I slid over to the passenger side (it was a bench seat anyway) and drove this way for quite a while, with my legs extended to control the pedals and just lightly steering with my right hand . No rocket science there!

Cheers,
Old 11th June 2013, 17:58   #56
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

What this bloke is upto is clearly and undoubtedly illegal and in contravention of traffic rules isnt it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astleviz View Post
Shankar, if you'll go through the entire video that longhorn has mentioned, there are a few shots from inside the car when you can clearly see the movement of his feet. He can be seen modulating the accelerator and brakes with his feet.
Also when he driving in a straight line, with sufficient practice almost anyone can pull this off.
Old 11th June 2013, 18:17   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
What this bloke is upto is clearly and undoubtedly illegal and in contravention of traffic rules isnt it?
Wonder if we can really put this guy under the thread " Bad drivers- How do you SPOT them"
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2013, 18:34   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Absolutely illegal and irrefutably irrespnsible.
Old 11th June 2013, 21:23   #59
BHPian

Halfway through the thread, I did a quick Google search and found the YouTube video posted by longhorn. I really started wondering how our dear team-bhp could miss out on this for almost three days. Genuinely no offence meant to any of you, some of the comments about Google's project car and some of the other possible possibilities did bring a smile on my face. I should also admit I was also getting really really curious post after post till my curiosity got the better of me and went to Google
At least, this thread helped put across some of the actual possibilities of a driver-less car giving new ideas to someone who wants to something like this again right.

I wanted to edit my previous post to include the below interesting video that I found. But I am unable to do it as I am still a Newbie and can't see my post yet. Pls review and update if you find the video suitable.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 12th June 2013 at 16:22.
Old 11th June 2013, 22:16   #60
BHPian

Yes he's doing the same thing. Search for Bhale Sarthi - Car without driver on youtube. Shows some clip from Suvarna News(kannada channel). You can see the same guy and the same Esteem. Link below. Some losers will go to any extent to get some attention. Case closed.

Last edited by GTO : 13th June 2013 at 19:25. Reason: removing link
arun_sharon is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks