Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2013, 10:00   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Kerala MVD announces crackdown on "artistic" number plates

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.t.k View Post
When a person gets a new vehicle, should it not be compliant with the RTO rules?
I agree with you fully. There was a report on forum about police fining VW Polo owners in Bangalore saying their horn was too loud (the factory fitted one).

Quote:
I dont think even today they fit high security number plates in Chennai. I recently took delivery of my classic 500, and the numbers were pasted, and this was from the Royal Enfield showroom itself!!
However, with respect to number plates the catch is they are not fitted by the company. Neither is the showroom legally bound to fit that. What the dealership does is they get a number plate with their logo (most of times) fixed and charge more than what an outside accessory shop will charge. This is just a way for them to make money.

Plastic number plates are illegal in all the states. My uncles car (KL registered) was fined in AP for sporting a plastic number plate. However the story behind that was, the cops near Hussain Sagar stopped the vehicle on seeing outside state registered car (Scorpio). My uncle showed the toll receipts as proof that they had driven down few days back and will be returning in couple of days. All other papers were also in order, so as a charge of their inconvenience they fine my uncle for the plastic number plates.
Old 21st November 2013, 21:13   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklord View Post
  • Cars should have front 50 x 12. Rear plates 34 x 20. Alphabets 6.5 cm height and 1 cm width with 1 cm space in between. Registration number should be written in two rows. Example given is "KL-01" in one row and the rest in second....
Do we need to have the numbers divided into 2 lines?? I have a straight number plate with all the numbers in a straight single line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
I agree with you fully. There was a report on forum about police fining VW Polo owners in Bangalore saying their horn was too loud (the factory fitted one)...
That's pathetic.
Old 21st November 2013, 21:33   #18
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for the thread - just learnt about the specifications on size, lettering and material (no plastic).

I think the RTO alone should issue the number plates to ensure total compliance and this can be done as part of the vehicle registration process.
Even the idea of having authorised agencies for this will give a chance for a scam, given the state of corruption in our country
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2013, 21:35   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Do we need to have the numbers divided into 2 lines?? I have a straight number plate with all the numbers in a straight single line.
That's what the report says. My car too have plates with registration number in a single line, but those are unassuming OE metal plates with number written in paint with no gimmicks and utilizing the entire space of the plate. So far, so good.
darklord is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2016, 16:08   #20
BHPian

UPDATE: Kerala Motor Vehicle Department has released the number plate design & specifications in detail.

Kerala MVD announces crackdown on "artistic" number plates-clipboard02.jpg

Kerala MVD announces crackdown on "artistic" number plates-clipboard01.jpg

For violations, the department recommends a fine of Rs.2000/- from 2/3 Wheelers, Rs.3000/- from LMVs, Rs.4000/- from MMVs & Rs.5000/- from HMVs.

Sorry, I could not get an English version of this circular.

Official Link HERE

Last edited by iVento : 28th July 2016 at 16:16.
iVento is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th July 2016, 17:44   #21
Senior - BHPian

So for passenger cars, single line is ok. whew.
Old 28th July 2016, 18:02   #22

That's a good start. Hope it comes down to Maharashtra/Pune soon. Fed up of seeing my relatives on the road. I have so many DADAs, NANAs, KAKAs, BOSSes here.
Ironhood is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2016, 18:16   #23
Senior - BHPian

Phew! For a moment, I thought the rear number plate of cars have to be in two lines.

Good decision, and glad that both private and taxi cars can still write the number in single line for both front and rear number plates.

--Anoop
Old 28th July 2016, 18:48   #24
BHPian

I was flagged down at Kozhikode by the cops for having illegal number plates. I was shown this same pamphlet and said that this is the way number plate should be. I had a hard time explaining that the yellow font on the black board was legal. I was driving a ZoomCar from Bangalore.
bejoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2016, 20:53   #25
BHPian

Is there any requirement in Kerala that numbers having less than four digits should have preceding zeroes? E.g 0004, 0044, 0444 instead of 4, 44 and 444 respectively.

My BIL is getting his car tomorrow and he mentioned that my new car's number which is three digit, should be displayed with a preceding zero, Is this correct? I am about to order stamped number plates and don't want to be fined.

I was actually glad to hear this, as I have booked 550 as my number, and it would be cool to have 0550 on the plates.

Last edited by vivekgk : 18th September 2016 at 20:55. Reason: Typo
Old 18th September 2016, 21:09   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekgk View Post
Is there any requirement in Kerala that numbers having less than four digits should have preceding zeroes? E.g 0004, 0044, 0444 instead of 4, 44 and 444 respectively....
^^ My understanding is this way. I remember some of us on the forum had this discussion sometime back & realised it's not enforced even if it's a rule. I have my friend's car sporting a 747 with no preceding 0. It's always better to consult the RTO guys as they keep modifying the rules as per their whims & fancies & you can't argue.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 18th September 2016 at 21:26.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2016, 22:54   #27
BHPian

When I had purchased a new motorcycle in Coimbatore in the year 2002, I was told by the showroom manager that the official requirement of the number plate was:
1. numbers/letters have to be painted and not stickered
2. paint to be of reflective (fluorescent) nature
3. we had the choice to select from 5 types of "official" font styles

Probably every MVD had their own set of regulations and would change everytime when a new incharge took charge.

What is still holding up the implementation of the High Security Number plates? Does it take so much time to resolve the dispute with the agency entrusted with the implementation?

Last edited by bhandary : 18th September 2016 at 22:58. Reason: addition of one more sentence
Old 19th September 2016, 11:39   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is there any requirement in Kerala that numbers having less than four digits should have preceding zeroes? E.g 0004, 0044, 0444 instead of 4, 44 and 444 respectively.

My BIL is getting his car tomorrow and he mentioned that my new car's number which is three digit, should be displayed with a preceding zero, Is this correct? I am about to order stamped number plates and don't want to be fined.

I was actually glad to hear this, as I have booked 550 as my number, and it would be cool to have 0550 on the plates.
Not aware for the preceding zeroes but the district number should not be in a single digit. For eg- for Palakkad it's number 9. Which means the number should be written as-
KL 09 XX XXXX and not KL 9 XX XXXX.
I guess the "German" style number plates are illegal.

Last edited by rakesh_r : 19th September 2016 at 11:40.
Old 19th September 2016, 12:41   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
As per my understanding all registration numbers will of of 4 digits.
In your case, in RC I guess it would be 0550.

My registration ends with 802. However, in RC the same is mentioned as 0802. Hence made a numberplate in same format.
Old 19th September 2016, 13:07   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Plastic number plates are illegal in all the states.
When I took delivery of our Ritz in Kerala, there was a notification pasted in the dealership, from the RTO, that the number plates should be of metal and punched/embossed type. The measurement of the letters were also given and there was only a single approved font. The measurements were the same as given in the above post.
Embossed metal plates make sense as they are the most resistant to damages and the number will be legible in most of the cases.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks