Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2013, 22:52   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple_car View Post
[b]
"God help this country. These bikers think they own the road. They squeeze through the traffic breaking ORVM's. Today, I saw some of them driving on the footpath when they couldn't have their way on the road. To top it off, when some pedestrians stopped them, they pushed them aside!"
This is a very common site in Bangalore roads (have often seen them in Nayandahalli and Hanumanthnagar). Squeezing their way on footpaths and then blocking the traffic while getting off the footpath. The saddest part is that they are nonchalant and are least bothered about the "inconvenience" they cause to fellow road users.
Also in narrow roads, they tend to use the wrong side when there is a traffic pile up. "GOD SAVE THEM"

The only way forward is to have ample patience and "ANTICIPATE" what they might end up doing. In other words - Defensive driving

Mod Note: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 23rd July 2013 at 08:15.
Old 22nd July 2013, 23:25   #17
Senior - BHPian

Re: Why I love driving in India!

Driving in INDIA is a CREATIVE thing, you learn so many different things on road in order to drive safely.

Indian roads bring the best out of you and your vehicle.

Expressways are very very boring and you feel lifeless driving on them, eg Mumbai Pune expressway vs the old highway.

Has anyone made a video game on driving in India?
silverado is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2013, 00:06   #18
BHPian

Firstly, my sincere thanks for everyone who thought this thread deserves a five star rating. Thank you guys. It means a lot to me.

My objective was to spread a new way of thinking and some positivity as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
What I want to know more on, is point #3 CONSTANT VIGILANCE. Could you please elaborate on your thoughts on this
Dear thoma sir, thank you for your kind words. I will explain your query with a simple real life situation. I have lots in mind, but here is one which I experience almost everyday.
Scenario: Rush hour traffic in Bombay
Generally when one drives in traffic, one looks at the front car (and if you are one better, then you'll also see the ORVM's and IRVM)
Me, my primary focus is not on the car in front of me, it's the car ahead or if I can see further, then even the tall buses/trucks ahead.
Don't get me wrong here, it's not that I don't pay any attention to the car immediately ahead of me (that is dangerous), just that it comes under my peripheral vision.
If the car/bus/truck which is in front of the car in front of me (I hope I am clear) brakes, I brake immediately, even before the car which is immediately to my front.
If I see the buses at the bottom of the flyover braking and I am on the top, then I move my foot to the brake pedal instantly.
This, in addition to keeping an eye on the IRVM, and ORVM's, to scan the periphery.
You won't believe the number of times I have saved myself and the cars behind me from a pile up due to this.

Hope this example makes it a little clearer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
Driving in India and/or watching others drive/ride on the roads here allows us an insight into what kind of people those are in real life as well.
Thank you very much for your kind words sir. Yes by and large we can get a good insight on a person's personality by the way he drives. But there are exceptions to the rule, and it just happens I know such people.
But, by and large, very true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadknight5 View Post
What I did develop is " patience" in my life. Yeah, driving in India does bring out that quality.
Dear dreadknight5 sir, a very interesting way of saying my 1st point i.e. Self control. It automatically instills patience.
But sir, I have a sincere request, please do not lose hope. No matter how trying people become. I know for a fact that things will deteriorate a lot further, but only when we lose hope, all is lost.
I apologize if I have crossed a line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVS View Post
what I love the most over here, is the element of uncertainity associated with driving.
3) Patience.....defensive driving, emergency preparedness and effective utilization of time(I listen to audio books on my daily commute).
4)As a biker..
5) Some memorable incidents
Thank you very much sir.
Agree with you on the element of uncertainty.
You must have been one of the rare breed of bikers who drive very nicely. I have seen many here in Bombay. I respect them a lot, and willingly give them way.
Thanks for sharing sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
Perhaps, if my wife is with me, I'll crack a joke or two.
I do have this (bad) habit of trying to overtake
People come in multiple queues, just like the way they flock around a junction when the signal is red!
Thank you very much sir. Good to know you can crack a joke with your wife. That's exactly what I do.
Just so long you overtake them in a proper way without being hasty, it's alright. I wouldn't say its a bad habit.
It's the same here in Bombay as well. But I have learnt to be at peace. It's not worth breaking your head over such trivial things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch-Angel View Post
Different thread and yes, i love driving in India (Haven't had the pleasure of driving elsewhere, but will do soon).
Good to Arch angel sir. I have a figo too at my home. It's my favorite car as on date. Hope to hear your experience from driving abroad soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivr1612 View Post
Yes I love driving in India!!!
I love driving on our highways and I like the challenge our city roads throws at me.
been to Germany and Italy for...their driving style is purely mechanical due to the overall discipline.
But here..have to be super alert and it feels like mission accomplished ...proud of the fact that there are only two minor scratches (touchwood)
Thank you very very much for your kind words sir. I feel exactly the same as you do. Its a mission accomplished without scratching your car, and your car is ample proof of your driving style. Keep it up and a wish you peace and happiness in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Thank you for making me smile and for bringing some nice positivity back
Dear shankar.balan sir,
Truthfully, you were one of the main inspirations for this thread. I had been browsing the forum extensively for past few days, and I did observe that you were a little down. Like as if you needed just a little positivity. This threads idea was already seeded long back in my mind, you just gave it a little water to let it grow.
I have to thank you the most.
Thank you very much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chase_nt View Post
You summarized the negatives of driving in India and brought out the positives. Its very rare that i read a thread in its entirety but ....An amazing thread again and it rocks.
Thanks a lot chase_nt sir. Hope you will get the joy of driving here back, with your polo gt.
Thanks a lot for your kind words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarth.bhatia View Post
Somehow, all of it isn't so exciting anymore. Seeing the possibility of an accident about to happen was thrilling. But now it's horrifying.... it is this very love of driving, that too in India, that has never scared of taking the wheel again.
Thank you for your kind words sir. Yeah, you do love rambling (but I like it)
Here's hoping that your love for driving shall never fade.
Actually, I am just hoping that moderator bblost sir shall chance upon this thread and comment. I would really like to hear whether he still loves driving in this country inspite of him travelling by a cycle most of the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anekho View Post
Interesting thread!
Thanks a lot anekho sir. Nice to hear that a person living abroad, for once finds our traffic and roads interesting and challenging.
Your sweden threads have been an eye opener for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samish_g View Post
The saddest part is that they are nonchalant and are least bothered about the "inconvenience" they cause to fellow road users.
"GOD SAVE THEM"
Dear samish_g sir,

I agree to everything you say. I kindly request you to post only what you 'like' about driving in India.
Please, it is not my intention to hurt anyone, just that I wish this thread remain a little positive. I, for one, too face similar situations everyday of my life. I created this thread only, so that we learn inspite of our troubles.

I apologize, if I have crossed a line.

Thank you for reading,
Simple_car
Simple_car is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2013, 06:32   #19
Senior - BHPian

Deep down inside I feel we Indians do not care / respect other road users at all - our traffic is a symbol of our Do Not Care attitude about other fellow Indians, which is itself a source of shame and sadness to someone like me. It agitates me no end how Sri Lankans are such sensible and respectful drivers while in Kerala the buses are just waiting to drive you off the road. Our traffic is a national disgrace!

There is a thin red line between choosing how you react to the madness, and believing that aal iz well. Somehow I get that feeling from your humourous post that you believe the latter - my personal frame is that one need not take a humorous frame necessarily to "cope" with the madness, but deep down inside we should all be seriously pissed and should want to change the system (or atleast hope that it does). Too much comfort with the system can make you behave like the others in no time.

Of course, I agree with most of the driving tips and the defensive driving perspective in your post and the others.
phamilyman is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2013, 06:35   #20
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:

Dear shankar.balan sir,
Truthfully, you were one of the main inspirations for this thread. I had been browsing the forum extensively for past few days, and I did observe that you were a little down. Like as if you needed just a little positivity. This threads idea was already seeded long back in my mind, you just gave it a little water to let it grow.
I have to thank you the most.
Thank you very much!

for reading,
Simple_car
Buddy.
What you've done for me is the action of a good friend.
Greatly appreciate the thought and the action.
And Yes, I shall view my daily drive in Bangalore through your unique sense and actually attempt to enjoy it...so much better than cribbing!
Cheers!
Old 23rd July 2013, 08:46   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Why I love driving in India
Very interesting thread. Appreciate the amount of research to come up with this well-written piece.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple_car
There is just too much negativity in the air in general. We complain, complain, and then complain some more.
Negativity/frustrations/complaints could be either due to the struggle you are having on the road, or rants against infrastructure, or due to the carelessness you see on the road. I can manage the first two aspects very well. Even though I live in a very organized place, I am completely at ease while driving through the chaotic roads in Kerala. Infact I look for reasons to go on a drive. But the last point – carelessness, is something which I still detest. I don’t feel anything positive when I see someone speeding on a motorbike without wearing a helmet, or those bus drivers who are on a suicide mission.

Quote:
1. SELF CONTROL
The most important thing that driving has taught me is self control. Yes, in these four years of driving, this strikes me the most. You need to have superhuman levels of self control while driving here. Be it to dodge ricks, scooters, pedestrians, new drivers. If there is that occasional scratch, and ding, I have learnt to control myself and let it pass.

3. CONSTANT VIGILANCE
You are always on your toes, while driving. While this does add to the stress of driving, I have now taken this as a positive point.

5. PLANNING AND STRATEGY
Lets have a race. We define the start and finish points. Let's see who reaches the destination first. I bet you, I can win by a good margin. Why?

6. NATURAL BEAUTY AND THE THRILLS OF ADVENTURE
Tourism in India is still in its infancy. It has a lot of potential. Although beauty is subjective, I for one, just enjoy nature and its beauty while driving through the mumbai goa nh17 highway (the fact that its branded as a killer stretch and my young age thinking only make it more desirable). Or while I am stranded in ladakh due to a landslide. There are a lot of places which for the lack of better word are best described as 'raw' in India. Few years back, Ladakh was one such place (though the signs of commercialization are now clearly seen). The seven sisters are still a mystery to most of us. Exploring the western ghats by road, during monsoons is an experience in itself. Driving to these 'raw' places is so rewarding (help me out here with a better metaphor).
Completely agree with the above points. Driving in India definitely gives enough immunity against road rage instincts, increase the patience-level and alertness.

Quote:
2. ENTERTAINMENT
Fellow citizens just keep me entertained throughout my drive, courtesy their foolishness. I play a game every time I drive, 'Guess who's going to have an accident'. That indicab who has just squeezed himself infront of the B.E.S.T. bus, or that biker who is tailgating the truck in front of him. Till now, I have a success rate of 97.3% (wish my grades were that good). Can you name another country which keeps you entertained so much?
I see this in a different way. I don’t see the chaos around as entertainment. But I actually feel very content, thankful, and privileged for the fact that I am sitting in the comfort of air-conditioned car, while there are many outside who struggle in the scorching heat and pollution.

Quote:
4. SPEEDING
India is one of the few countries which has roads on both ends of the spectrum. No roads, and world class roads. And the best part is most states don't have a speed limit, and among those who do, very few enforce it. Enjoy the thrills (Of course, this is assuming you practice SAFE driving, and good car maintenance). I am not encouraging rash driving. I don't drive like a maniac at all. But I love driving at safe + reasonably high speeds too.
Not fully aligned to this point. With or without speed limits, stick to sane speeds. You maybe a vigilant driver, but the fellow next to you (or coming opposite to you) may not be equipped to react well.

In general, I fully agree on what are trying to convey – avoid negativity and enjoy the time on road
Old 23rd July 2013, 08:47   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I will explain your query with a simple real life situation. I have lots in mind, but here is one which I experience almost everyday.
I totally agree about the sensors in the form of IRVM, ORVM, vehicle much ahead and me too practice the same. But my specific issue is how to take it positively. What thought process you go through, to see those positively? How do you train your mind on that? Adding more and more sensors (allocating part of my mind to each) is creating more stress in my mind. Especially when 1) the traffic density is ever rising 2) most of the others on the road take the advantage of high seating position (bigger vehicle, SUV, tall boy etc) to squeeze in front of me 3) time is ever decreasing, if not for me for others who hurry like their someone is on death bed 4) manufacturers are providing vehicles with lesser drive-ability and visibility (eg- a former Padmini vs a new Beat P).

The only positive suggestion I usually think is that I save the car and myself and others by applying more sensors, but the stress of vigilance is getting to weigh more day by day. I have to admit that driving was one thing I loved to do all day.

Please keep pouring in your experiences on vigilance, with how to see them positively.

And please no sirs here, at least not me
Old 23rd July 2013, 09:43   #23
BHPian

Brilliant thread

Driving in India is never boring, always something to see or to avoid

Plus views that you can get nowhere else in the world from the Himalayas to the western ghats.

You agonize about carelessness of other drivers but...

It is all worth it when you find that perfect bit of tarmac with a perfect view with no traffic.

This has been happening more and more often these days, so things are looking up if you ask me.
Old 23rd July 2013, 09:47   #24
BHPian

Simple_Car, please don't call me sir, i am only 23 . The foreign driving experience will have to wait for now, The onsite trip i am waiting for seems to be delayed. But really, we need some amount of optimism out there because we have a lot of good things here which many countries lack i.e freedom.
Old 23rd July 2013, 10:31   #25
BHPian

This is a very optimistic take on what most people get frustrated in India. Humour is the best medicine and people should take a leaf out of your book and drive safe.

Just loved the picture(self control) with the owl getting drenched by a moron! The look on the owl face is hilarious! its the same feeling a lot of us go through @ work / roads etc when dealing with other people & I could not stop smiling. Good find!

1. Do you love driving in India? Absolutely yes
2. What do you love the most about driving in this country? The freedom to disregard rules! Truthfully, the variety & different kind of people we live with
3. What has driving here, taught you? Stress management!
4. Feel free to describe some your best memories while driving here. Whenever I do a mistake on road, i immediately raise my hand to say sorry with a sheepish smile. The other person however angry he is with return the smile 99% of the times and forgives me. Ask sorry if you are at fault. What is use of showing ego with a person on road whom you might never meet again in your life. He goes stress free & so do you. Make smiles cos its good for your heart and others too
urajkumar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2013, 10:33   #26
BHPian

Amazing post, Simple_Car.

Indian roads are full of life - there is happiness, sadness, anger, fun, challenges... - there is never a dull moment on the road.

Driving here does not mean just getting from point A to B - it includes everything in between and more.
Old 23rd July 2013, 11:12   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Lets have a race. We define the start and finish points. Let's see who reaches the destination first. I bet you, I can win by a good margin. Why?
I simply plan out my route, I anticipate other drivers behavior and navigate accordingly. Do you take 10 mins. to pass a junction? I'll do it in 5 mins WITHOUT breaking any rules. Simply, by anticipating behavior of others. Management guys should learn this from me
This is something I practice and it has a very positive effect on the time taken to reach Point B from Point A. Well its not exactly a race, but a strategy to beat the racers and lane cutters hollow in their own game without entering into bad mouthing, fist fights, ego bruises.. you get the drift. The key is to look ahead and beyond the vehicle immediately in front of you. You increase the range of information your brain processes compared to fellow road users. As you get more inputs, you are in a better position to predict the flow of traffic and plan your move accordingly.

For eg as you approach a toll booth, you look at the queue and the types of vehicles on various lanes to pick your lane. Don't be fooled by the length of the queue. You might be able to get out quicker even though a particular queue is longer. I'd take the OMR in Chennai as a classic example. For those not in the know, the MTC buses can pass through without showing any tickets/passes on this road. Further 3 buses would occupy more road space than 6 cars. So, if you are behind 3 buses, chances are you would be out of the queue much before even half of those cars in the next lane get out of the queue.
longhorn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2013, 11:45   #28
BHPian

Simple_car, many thanks for initiating this discussion. I am also tired of hearing the rants and 'badness' of driving in India always and wanted to write about the positives. You have put it across really well, much better than I could ever do. Thank you.

Driving in India has made me a better man. Your first point, Self Control. I started practicing self control while driving. I have promised not to honk or shout (even inside) at any 'idiots' on the roads. And I am happy to say, I am able to practice it almost always. And this has improved my general patience and I'm behaving better in office and home.

I am able to tolerate the 'idiots' in the office and I can smile at the obstacles/'road blocks' that comes everyday in the office. I am able to accept when things don't go my way in office or home.
JohnyBoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2013, 12:23   #29
Senior - BHPian

Very well thought of thread Simple Car!

I have learnt to follow most of what you do apart from the Speeding part as I am not comfortable beyond 100 kmph even if it is on the MUM-Pune Eway.

I had travelled regulary on the Thane-Andheri (E) route during peak hours for a few years, but fortunately I had my wife for company so used to spend lot of quality time together, control on anger/foul mouthing and basically inner peace, as there was no need to hurry to reach home!

Now my job has changed and I travel to Worli, so now I have the company of my office colleagues, which helps me in being up to speed with things happening around in various areas, be it professional, personal.

As for the 4 points:
1. Do you love driving in India? Absolutely yes
2. What do you love the most about driving in this country? Keeps your senses super active, as there is always something new happening every square km!
3. What has driving here, taught you? Inner Peace! Kungfu Panda Style
4. Feel free to describe some your best memories while driving here: Would be the time spent travelling with my wife listening to good music, keeping each other updated on the happenings, etc!
Maverick5490 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2013, 12:24   #30
BHPian

At least half of the people who driver recklessly or cut across would have driven in the West or at least been to West. They are well aware of all the rules and just would not follow them.

Only rule they follow: Rules are to be followed only in West where the laws are stringent, "Chalta hai...." attitude when back home.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks