Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2006, 20:36   #1
Senior - BHPian

Trip To Mahabaleswhar+Accident Witnessed Live With Pics

Hey guys had decided since sometime to post this but did not have the cable to tranfer the pics so had to wait
The trip began with my mama and his family+some cousins comming to ghatkopar from walkeswhar in their car(zen) accompanied by a driver as none of them knew how to drive.So as soon as they reached ghatkopar at 6 o clock the driver was sent back and now the drivers seat was all mine
Started the trip with a tank up and air in tyres.Left by about 6 and stopped at Duttas vada pav fellow for some tasty vada pavs.
Then took a right turn followed by an immediate left and now was on the highway.Kept the speed between 100 and 120 as there are 5 adults+2 kids in the car and the trip for about 100 km was uneventful
1st incident-ST fellow signalling to overtaking and as soon as middle of overtaking move comes on the right and almost causes a crash.I braked so hard that the wheels almost locked at 100 km.Get back my compusure and i am right behind the ST again.This time again he signals to overtake and i am ready to pass him with all caution and anticipating his movie.He does exactly what he did the last time but this time i am prepared.
Continue behind the dude for sometime and then i see a truck overtaking another truck from the opposide side and comming head on at the ST the St driver slows his speed to almost 40 km and i sense that i have a chance.Slot the Pocket rocket zen into 2nd and am waiting for trucks to pass.As soon as they do i come out and overtake the guy even before he comes to know.Stop the car in the middle of the road and as vehicles are comming from the opposide side he has no chance to run off.Out i go with the wheel spanner in my head while my cousins sit in the car.Took the spanner intially just as a safety.But he talks with all mother sister bad words and loose my cool and give him a punch and break his headlight and out then come my cousins and counductor too starts with his mother sister bad words things and he too gets a punch.He notes down our car number and threatens me with police complaint at which all of us laugh.
Continue Our journey and reach mahabalkeswhar by 11 o clock.
Stay there for 2 days with trips to the lake,panchgini,tapola lake and then market place.
Secretly have a can of beer in the car when everbody has gone for a boat ride on the tapola lake and me alone in the car
Start our return journey from mahabaleshwar at 9 o clock in the morning.On our way back around 80 km from ghatkopar.A maruti 800 overtakes our car and we were doing 110 at that time.Slow down and let him pass and he continues with his overtaking moves with ease and super fast speed.
I too overtake some trucks as there is no one comming from the opposite side and i am behind this maruti 800 now
On A blind slope kind turn this guy gets his car out to overtake a truck and i decide that its not safe to overtake and not overtake.This guy must be doing about 90 to 100 in the midist of the overtaking move and then even before i could blink my eyelid he collides HEAD ON with an ST bus comming from the opposite side.MAN the ST fellow must be doing atleast 90 to 100 km as he is commin down a slope.Frantically stop the car as the truck in front of me also stops.The car is pushed a little to the side of the road by the force of the ST.
Out comes the ST driver,the truck drivers to see the condition of the people inside.2 Males and 1 female.I get out of my car with my mama to help the victims and remove the seat and get the driver out and to my surprise he is in one piece from outside but i am sure his legs and internal stuff is all broken and shattered.Out i get the girl from behind.She was all stuck and Use the Spanner from the car to bend the metal with the help of the truckers and pull her out.The guy sitting in the front is meanwhile pulled by the other guys.All of them are laying on the side of the road Bleading.
All the front teeths of the girl are broken and i could one of the teeth lying in the car.man i had almost tears in my eyes after seeing their condition.Meanwhile some of them have already called the ambulance and highway police and stuff.
Now here are some pictures of the accident could not get much as i was shaken and was thinking that if i had not used my brains and had gone behind this guy for the overtaking move my car would have been right behind the 800 and would have resulted in a drastic accident.
Outside view Of the 800

The inside of the car

Another inside pic of the car

Guys belive it or not the steering had almost neared the back seat.The floor in the front had come till the seat where we sit.I can imagine how what would have happened to the drivers leg but all appeared in one shape as he had worn jeans and damage assesing on his body would be done by the doctor.
Sat there for half an hour and again started my return journey this time driving at 60s and 50 as was totally shaken up.
Moral Of story=Use your head on the highways and your teeth remain intact.
Old 18th June 2006, 20:49   #2
BANNED

That's HORRIFIC.. I faced the same thing on my way back from Bombay to Poona last year on the 26th of July(yes the day of the floods).. HORRIFIC to see something like that.. really REALLY shakes you up for the rest of your trip
Link.. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...the+Expressway
NEVER EVER FOLLOW THROUGH OR OVERTAKE ON A BLIND CORNER PEOPLE.. like humyum says.. USE YOUR HEAD while driving PLEASE
Old 18th June 2006, 21:09   #3
Senior - BHPian

Thats one horrific accident. Man that speedo is stuck at 80kph. Drive safe guys. There are people who wait for you at home.

Drifter
Old 18th June 2006, 21:12   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum
Kept the speed between 100 and 120 as there are 5 adults+2 kids in the car
horrific accident.
but why the hell you were taking similar chances with 7 humans in a fragile car named Zen?!
you also drive safe next time with so many people with you!
Old 18th June 2006, 21:28   #5
BANNED

Hey, Thats a horrfic accident but our country has plenty of drivers who do the HUGE MISTAKE of overtaking on turns !!! If you remember I had posted about a similar experience I had .. but in that there were no survivors !!!!

Drive safe guys ..leave the racing for the tracks

Cheers
Old 18th June 2006, 22:11   #6
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2L8uLoose
That's HORRIFIC.. I faced the same thing on my way back from Bombay to Poona last year on the 26th of July(yes the day of the floods).. HORRIFIC to see something like that.. really REALLY shakes you up for the rest of your trip
Link.. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...the+Expressway
NEVER EVER FOLLOW THROUGH OR OVERTAKE ON A BLIND CORNER PEOPLE.. like humyum says.. USE YOUR HEAD while driving PLEASE
Hope the M800 accident victims survived -- although I doubt if they would have. I agree that blind overtakes are absolutely not on, under any circumstances. Even at night when one is confident that there are no lights from oncoming vehicles, one should never ever execute an absolutely blind overtake -- it pays to just ease off a little and be very alert for vehicles with poor or no lights (like two-wheelers, autos, bullock carts ...). Sometimes if you are not alert, you may not realize that a corner or a cross-road is just ahead of you and may commit yourself to an overtake -- and then it is too late to abort the overtake by the time you realize it. This danger is very much real at night, especially on unfamiliar and poorly lit roads. There is no substitute for hard experience in order to survive on our highways -- but then you must be lucky enough to make it through your early years of indiscretion and rash driving.

Regarding follow-through overtaking -- I would emphasize that BLIND follow-through overtaking is foolhardy. But you can do it if you can clearly see the road ahead of the vehicle you are following -- sometimes through its windscreen. Usually you need to first position yourself between the vehicle being overtaken and the vehicle that you are following in order to get a clear view of the road ahead; if it is clear, you can go ahead with the follow-through, under most circumstances.
Regards, rks

Last edited by rks : 18th June 2006 at 22:15.
Old 18th June 2006, 23:08   #7
Senior - BHPian

Revharder=Will definately control my speed the next time.
Rks=Dude i seriously doubt the survival of the driver and even if he did survive there would be permanent damage to some of his body parts as u can see there is no space between the steering wheels,seat and the dashboard.He was right there in between.God alone knows how all of us got him out.His legs must be crushed big time.Just got him on the ground very close to the car as all of us were afraid of causing him more damage by lifting him a little and taking him away.People were first even hesitant to touch the car and remove the occupant at first fearing getting involved in the mess but as soon my my mama and me started pulling the car doors and stuff to get the people out did they start comming and helping.
Although i pity the poor ST driver who is going to get into trouble big time for no fault of his as he would have never imagined a fool like the 800 driver comming at such breakneck speed hit him head on.U wont belive it i did not even see the tail lights of the 800 come on.There was no reaction time.
Old 18th June 2006, 23:29   #8
Senior - BHPian

Yikes

Thats scary alright. And all that blood on the dash...
And hats-off for the rescue work man, i can't even imagine seeing the condition of the people. And i agree, if i was in ur shoes, i would have done anything but go and look in the car or at the victems
Old 18th June 2006, 23:58   #9
aZa
Senior - BHPian

aww thats bad i hope everyone survived and humyum i'm glad u didn't follw the m800 into the turn, next time be extra careful especially when u have kids in the car.
Old 19th June 2006, 08:10   #10
Senior - BHPian

WHOA thats one scary looking accident!!! Stupidest thing to overtake in a turning.....
Old 19th June 2006, 09:06   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
On A blind slope kind turn this guy gets his car out to overtake a truck
Sorry to sound heartless but the guy deserved it. Overtaking while on a curve and even when going uphill is just not done. This incident desprately cries out for the need of proper driving training and licensing procedures. If our driver's licensing system had been better, this would never have happened. On second thoughts, the guy should have had some common sense too. I got my licence without giving a test but I still know where to draw the line on our roads.

Great that you helped humyum. Hope the people in the M800 will make a full recovery.
Old 19th June 2006, 10:39   #12
rks
BANNED

humyum, full marks to you for doing your best for the accident victims. What is particularly sad in this case is the possibility that the M800 guy was looking at his rear-view mirror and seeing your Zen closing in -- which might have sent his adrenaline pumping and prompted him to take the crazy risk of a blind overtake. One should always stick to one's driving style and not get into race-type situations. I generally make an effort to speed up and prevent heavy vehicles from overtaking me as they are a real pain if you let them get ahead-- they slow you down, obstruct your view of the road, etc. Otherwise if an obviously faster vehicle appears in my rear-view mirror, I let it go.
Regards, rks
Old 19th June 2006, 11:00   #13
BHPian

oh Man! thats one big scarry crash..Its pure luck that they survived the crash.. moreover the car being a M800. Such stupid drivers
Old 19th June 2006, 11:11   #14
BHPian

Did you notice the crashguards on the Maruti? It would have negated whatever effective (not sure how much) crumple zones the car would have had. Why do these people use crashguards?
Old 19th June 2006, 11:12   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks
humyum, full marks to you for doing your best for the accident victims. What is particularly sad in this case is the possibility that the M800 guy was looking at his rear-view mirror and seeing your Zen closing in -- which might have sent his adrenaline pumping and prompted him to take the crazy risk of a blind overtake. One should always stick to one's driving style and not get into race-type situations. I generally make an effort to speed up and prevent heavy vehicles from overtaking me as they are a real pain if you let them get ahead-- they slow you down, obstruct your view of the road, etc. Otherwise if an obviously faster vehicle appears in my rear-view mirror, I let it go.
Regards, rks
That thought did run my head that probably he overtook because i had come back behind him but that was a shear coincidence that i was behind him that time.He overtook my car at almost 120 km and even though he might have easily passed me i applied the brakes so as to make it even more easier for him as i too own an 800 and i know that at 120 its almost topped out.Then after he was finished with overtaking me and he was overtaking some other truck wallas that time and i too overtook the truck fellows and then on comming traffic started so i was behind him again.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks