Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2013, 12:38   #106
Senior - BHPian

Re: Why the media blackout on the Aston Martin crash?

Oh Man!!!
You really have a great sense of humor.
My take...
WRT Point 1 - The words "Who can say no" reflect the inbuilt weakness of human character and Reliance used it and any rich was using it and will use it forever.
Point 2 - This is most important point and reflects our "Chalta Hai" psychology.
Point 6 is a good lesson on how to think positive.
But the killer one is Reliance Mopz... too good.
One line comes to my mind which is often said in Mumbai, "Sab kuchh biktaa hai, Khareedne wala chahiye."
Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Since no one got killed, I think the though process would be like preparing a profit & loss account and find that it will be profitable in every way:

1. I am getting bigger & better cars for free...who can say no. Too good to resist offer.
2. I am hurt just a little...okay was almost killed, but hey I am not actually killed...am alive & kicking. Why to bother about what could have happened? Just enjoy whatever comes this way!
6. I am fortunate that the one who crashed into my car was from an MNC. It could have been a goon, a politico, a minister or any other influential guy and would have given me a 'babaji ka thullu' (read: not a single dime) and could have even thrashed me black & blue for his own fault. Now, when the luck wants us to have it, why should be object?

By the way, has anyone else tried Reliance Mopz? There is a buy one get one offer on it...
I had also posted my views on this thread sometime back and they are still the same.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super-...ml#post3316008
carwatcher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2013, 16:45   #107
Senior - BHPian

Moral of the Story: If you're looking for an upgrade and don't mind taking a chance, drive your car around certain areas of Mumbai late in the night and hope to be hit by a super car belonging to a very wealthy family-owned corporate. Stick a target on your boot, and if thats too subtle try a sticker with "Hit Me" on it.
Steeroid is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th December 2013, 11:00   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Moral of the Story: If you're looking for an upgrade and don't mind taking a chance, drive your car around certain areas of Mumbai late in the night and hope to be hit by a super car belonging to a very wealthy family-owned corporate. Stick a target on your boot, and if thats too subtle try a sticker with "Hit Me" on it.
Very well said!!

Forum Ruparel gets to upgrade from A4 to A6 for free!!

The other businessman gets an upgrade from Elantra to Superb.

All happy, no case is registered and for the supposed owners of teh Aston Martin, they get to settle the case out of court "cheaply".

What a fairlytale like ending!!!
Old 30th December 2013, 11:28   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
BTW, don't try this for upgrading from an A segment car like M800 or Nano. You might get hit in Mumbai and end up in Pune.
zenren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2013, 11:53   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
Similar company car laws exist in other parts of the world such as the UK. So let's not get completely off topic and call ourselves a banana republic because of something that is perfectly above board.
Completely agree with you on the rules/regulations/law aspect.
However since you appear to be from the Austrian school (I liked reading the condensed version of Road to Serfdom) - and this is not really directly relevant to this thread (but then it might be in a certain ways):

Why is it that a firm is allowed to show its expenses as cost of running, and hence deducted from the earnings, and thus carry no tax liability.
Whereas an individual is not allowed to show his expenses as cost of (his) running and cannot exempt this from being taxed.
Old 30th December 2013, 12:01   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Why is it that a firm is allowed to show its expenses as cost of running, and hence deducted from the earnings, and thus carry no tax liability.
Whereas an individual is not allowed to show his expenses as cost of (his) running and cannot exempt this from being taxed.
Completely off topic but individuals get a standard deduction. While every rupee of profit by a company is taxable an individual gets a standard deduction to compensate for the expenses incurred to earn his/her income.
Old 30th December 2013, 12:42   #112
BHPian

Not sure if you guys read this today - http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/28121828.cms

Even though the case is tried, the punishment for this offence is a jail term or a fine or both. Given how all concerned parties have acted in the past few weeks, there is a high chance of an acquittal, or if found guilty, a penalty. A jail sentence seems like a very long shot here.
Old 30th December 2013, 17:25   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman7 View Post
Not sure if you guys read this today - http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/28121828.cms Even though the case is tried, the punishment for this offence is a jail term or a fine or both. Given how all concerned parties have acted in the past few weeks, there is a high chance of an acquittal, or if found guilty, a penalty. A jail sentence seems like a very long shot here.
"The Aston banged into the Audi and a "young portly person'' at the wheel, as initial eye-witnesses said, fled the scene around 1.30am. The next day, Bansilal Joshi (55), employed with Reliance, confessed to the Gamdevi police that he was at the wheel."

This neatly sums up the case. There seems to be no effort towards finding who was at the wheel.
The Victim could settle and would not even want to pursue the case. The surrendered driver "can be" tried but whats the use?
selvagp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2013, 11:47   #114
Senior - BHPian

What I don't understand is the hue and cry over a issue which in essence is a accident involving no loss of life or damage to public property. Why is this being blown up to huge proportions?
After all in a regular accident involving two normal people don't the public, police advice them to settle out of court to avoid hassles and get early payments? Have we all not settled out of courts for similar prangs?
Just because the Ambanis are involved suddenly, it becomes evil for Ms. Ruparel to take a new car and drop the case.
I agree it's comical how she tried to say insurance played Santa but its disheartening to see media make a hue and cry over this minor issue, and conveniently shield that rapist Tejpal because he belongs to their fraternity.
apachelongbow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2013, 12:46   #115
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
What I don't understand is the hue and cry over a issue which in essence is a accident involving no loss of life or damage to public property...
See my post here : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post3328607

cya
R
Old 31st December 2013, 12:59   #116
BHPian

Quote:
What I don't understand is the hue and cry over a issue which in essence is a accident involving no loss of life or damage to public property. Why is this being blown up to huge proportions?
The hue and cry is not because of the accident, but the sad fact that the upper-class does not really need to 'worry' about any rules became very clear here. Even if there was a loss of life, I don't think the 'fat driver' would have gone behind the bars. And thats what annoys everyone, not the accident itself.
DudeWithaFiat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st December 2013, 13:14   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeWithaFiat View Post
Even if there was a loss of life, I don't think the 'fat driver' would have gone behind the bars. And thats what annoys everyone, not the accident itself.
But again why the hue and cry regarding something hypothetical. One can assume anything and keep talking

It was a small accident in which nobody got hurt and the victims got compensated suitably. That should be the end of it really. Accidents happen. Nobody knows how it happened. People are just conjecturing. Maybe the Aston driver crashed while trying to save from some obstacle that suddenly appeared on the road (stray animal or a wayward drunkard or something). That happens so much on Indian roads. Maybe there was a pothole. who knows..

Ambani could have told off the victims to get their vehicles repaired from Insurance as that is all is done in such cases. I am pleasantly surprised he compensated them very well and that is a good thing. People should learn to appreciate good things for a change.
Old 31st December 2013, 13:33   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
But again why the hue and cry regarding something hypothetical. One can assume anything and keep talking It was a small accident in which nobody got hurt and the victims got compensated suitably. That should be the end of it really. Accidents happen. Nobody knows how it happened. People are just conjecturing. Maybe the Aston driver crashed while trying to save from some obstacle that suddenly appeared on the road (stray animal or a wayward drunkard or something). That happens so much on Indian roads. Maybe there was a pothole. who knows.. Ambani could have told off the victims to get their vehicles repaired from Insurance as that is all is done in such cases. I am pleasantly surprised he compensated them very well and that is a good thing. People should learn to appreciate good things for a change.
We should not forget the facts of the case, eye witnesses claimed "young portly driver" fled the scene. A 55 year old driver surrendered himself later. There were attempts to find who was driving the car but nothing came out of it.

Why would you want to take the "driver" to the court? Punish for someone else's crime? May be not all parties (read police) were settled handsomely.

I wish the real driver feels guilty and is atleast more responsible in future.
Old 31st December 2013, 14:03   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
.... in this case - where its just damaged cars, I don't think the media should waste their (or my) time on it.
Quote:
Why is this being blown up to huge proportions?
+1 to all of the above and similar views.

I too do not understand the vindictiveness of people who want to see the driver (whoever that may be) to be bought to justice.

Our courts and police are already overburdened. In such a case if the parties involved in the accident have decided to settle this matter to their satisfaction and out of courts, well kudos!!

Any dispute, of any nature, whether civil, commercial and at times criminal can and is at many times resolved by appointing an ombudsman to address issues of compensation and if required punishment!

The whole idea of Village Panchayats is basically this, that disputes and fights are resolved at village levels and amicably between the parties involved. In an ideal society with such institutions in place, you would hardly need courts and police and of course lawyers followed up by a lengthy legal procedure. The success of such a model of course is a matter of another discussion and not relevant here.

Thankfully no one died, so this is simply a case of a collision. I have no idea about the figures, but such accidents happen everyday, in India and everywhere around the world! If the parties involved in the accident, including the victims, are not complaining and have been duly compensated, why the hue and cry??
Old 31st December 2013, 14:30   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
But again why the hue and cry regarding something hypothetical. One can assume anything and keep talking

It was a small accident in which nobody got hurt and the victims got compensated suitably. That should be the end of it really. Accidents happen. Nobody knows how it happened. People are just conjecturing. Maybe the Aston driver crashed while trying to save from some obstacle that suddenly appeared on the road (stray animal or a wayward drunkard or something). That happens so much on Indian roads. Maybe there was a pothole. who knows..

Ambani could have told off the victims to get their vehicles repaired from Insurance as that is all is done in such cases. I am pleasantly surprised he compensated them very well and that is a good thing. People should learn to appreciate good things for a change.
Drunken driving, over speeding, switching drivers

AFAIK all are crimes, and running away from accident spot, what more you do you need. and dont tell me no one was hurt, someone has to be killed to understand the seriousness of the issue
Rahulkool is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks