Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2014, 16:52   #1
BHPian

Inefficient RTO (as well as agent), ownership transfer stuck for 1.5 years. EDIT: Solved

The leasing agreement of my wife's Ritz (between her workplace and the leasing company) was complete in Dec 2012, and the leasing company released the necessary documents (NOC etc) after the residual value of the car was paid. We decided to follow the ownership transfer procedure ourselves, and after looking up net, realized that we have to get a NOC from Yeshvanthpur (Bangalore) first (where the vehicle was registered first), and then approach the RTO near home (Indiranagar) to complete the transfer. So she went to Yesvanthpur RTO herself, ignored the agents, and submitted the papers herself. It was rejected when she went to ask a few weeks later, because the signature on the forms wouldn't match as the person in charge of leasing has changed. She got another set of papers, this time from the person who signed it 2 years ago. The NOC request was rejected again a month later, because this time the seal put on the form was square shaped, where the original has a circular one! It was an unbelievable pain, but she managed to get again another set of forms, from her company not known for administrative efficiency. But we were firm to overlook the hint of any bribe or middleman in. Finally in her last visit she promised to forward the resume of the officer's daughter to her office, and we got the NOC in around 4 months.

Being bitter with this experience, and realizing that it is not worth the trouble, we gave up and walked into an agent's desk in Indiranagar RTO. He assured he can get it done, and also noted by this time the NOC is due expiry but said it'll require some "fine" but he'll take care of the procedure. So, last June he took his fees and papers, and asked us to call in a month's time. Afterwards, a few calls went like "let me check and get back to you" type ... but we waited patiently. Another day I was passing by the RTO and dropped in his office. He showed our vehicle number in his TODO list and told he is following up regularly. Then one day I call and he reports that his shop was damaged by short-circuit and he needs a break. After a month, I start calling him every week, and he kept assuring me "next week ho jayega sir", but it never gets done. I once sent my driver to check the status, but the agent wasn't available, so he went upstairs but wasn't entertained because he doesn't have a receipt. I even offered to drop by and accompany the agent upstairs - but he always dodged it. I even recently checked the RC B extract at nearest Bangalore one - and no joy. Now the agent stopped picking my call also -- after a week's attempt he picks up, assures me that he is on the job, but no further progress.

I can surprise him by dropping in his office on some working day, but been contemplating whether it is worth going that far from my workplace on a working day, given the outcome is uncertain. My experience has been bad in both fronts ... handling it by self, or even through an agent.

So? Any advice will be appreciated.
kousik is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2014, 17:22   #2
BHPian

Re: Inefficient RTO (as well as agent), ownership transfer stuck for 13 months & coun

I am stuck in a similar hustle. I had to re-register my MH registration motorcycle to a TN one. Gave it to the RTO guys last April for processing. Tried with an agent too, no luck so far! I enquired at the RTO and they said they have sent the NOC validity check to Mumbai and they are not responding. RTO over here at my hometown, now I know him personally and he says if I can move the document in Mumbai and once they send an acknowledgement he can re-register my motorcycle within a week.

Is there a possibility of filing an RTI to get the information of the status from Mumbai?
razorBlades is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2014, 17:31   #3
Senior - BHPian

Re: Inefficient RTO (as well as agent), ownership transfer stuck for 13 months & coun

I suggest you go to a agent (not the one you are dealing with - there are 'special' agents), you will pay him only to buy the jar of grease but your hands wont get dirty directly. Be done with it, you are looking at 10+K in expenses, but a pain free 2-3 days of process.

Last edited by svsantosh : 3rd February 2014 at 17:35.
Old 3rd February 2014, 17:49   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

How about talking to a sales advisor at Maruti (or Maruti True Value) and get in touch with their person who does these transfers. He'll be glad to do this freelance for a reasonable sum (e.g. my friend got her i10 transferred from a Hyundai guy for 3k, even though she didn't buy her i10 from Hyundai's 2nd hand sales division).
Old 3rd February 2014, 20:52   #5
Senior - BHPian

You need to get the original papers back before you can do anything , right? Get those back from the agent first and approach indiranagar rto yourself. I know a friend who registered his bike from durgapur here, so it may be better off than the other rtos.

Also, you can use rti and sakala to your avail, do some googling on these.

Razorblades, I believe that the local rto has to wait for 1 month at most for a reply and not forever from Mumbai. Check the MV act for details.

Last edited by sdp1975 : 3rd February 2014 at 20:57.
sdp1975 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2014, 21:43   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
You need to get the original papers back before you can do anything , right? Get those back from the agent first and approach indiranagar rto yourself. I know a friend who registered his bike from durgapur here, so it may be better off than the other rtos.
Thanks -- I guess that's my last option. But the speed at which things move, not sure even that'll get done anytime soon. But this time I'll approach the RTO myself. My worry is, the NOC is now expired and they'll ask us get it again from the originating RTO (Yesvanthpur). That experience wasn't great - going back there would be of great inconvenience.
Old 3rd February 2014, 21:53   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorBlades View Post
I am stuck in a similar hustle. I had to re-register my MH registration motorcycle to a TN one. Gave it to the RTO guys last April for processing.
Is there a possibility of filing an RTI to get the information of the status from Mumbai?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post

Razorblades, I believe that the local rto has to wait for 1 month at most for a reply and not forever from Mumbai. Check the MV act for details.
i have submitted all the documents along with the tax amount for re-registering of my MH registered vehicle at my local RTO office and what they told me is that, they should get a reply from previous RTO.But they did not mention any time-frame for this process and said its "unpredictable"

i am sure many of people here have been through this process, so would like to know how much time does it actually for this step and is there any way to fasten the process.

regards,
harsha
Old 3rd February 2014, 22:06   #8
BHPian

The way your agent is dodging your call and not responding and all makes me suspect if he has misplaced your original documents. It is over 8 months that you have handed over the documents for a transfer from yeshwantpur RTO to Indiranagar RTO both within Bangalore and not even an out of state transfer and the same should have taken much lesser time.
I believe that this is the livelihood of the agent and this sort of delaying / dragging for months does not auger well for his business too. So my suggestion is to drop by your agent's office and reclaim your original documents first. Then speak with someone inside the office /RTO directly and get the things done or at least inquire and get hold of a reliable agent and get the transfer done.
But theoretically the transfer should be done in a jiffy. Mine took hardly a few days in Goa.
Old 3rd February 2014, 22:24   #9
BHPian

The entire transfer does not take this kind of time. Your agent is completely dodging you. Please ensure ASAP that your papers are in his custody. He may have lost them and is dodging you.

My suggestion is take a day off and catch him at his work place and tell him to show the receipt. If need be go and meet the RTO and tell him this is what has happened and inquire from him the exact status of your transfer application. You will then have exact clarity and then you can take a decision.
Old 3rd February 2014, 23:14   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975
Hmmm ... but for that I need at least the receipt/challan # isn't it? I am unsure if this guy really filed it now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkamath View Post
The way your agent is dodging your call and not responding and all makes me suspect if he has misplaced your original documents.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mints21 View Post
The entire transfer does not take this kind of time. Your agent is completely dodging you. Please ensure ASAP that your papers are in his custody. He may have lost them and is dodging you.
Thanks for the replies ... now I too suspect so. But how's he expecting to close this, just assuming I'll give up calling him one day? However, if I need to be prepared for the worst, and he finally admits he's lost the papers, am I back to square one? Does my wife need to get the lease transfer forms again (don't know if that's possible) and we start from scratch the process again?

Last edited by kousik : 3rd February 2014 at 23:18.
Old 3rd February 2014, 23:24   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kousik View Post
Thanks for the replies ... now I too suspect so. But how's he expecting to close this, just assuming I'll give up calling him one day? However, if I need to be prepared for the worst, and he finally admits he's lost the papers, am I back to square one? Does my wife need to get the lease transfer forms again (don't know if that's possible) and we start from scratch the process again?
Hi Kousik, I am sorry if my post made you edgy and lose your sleep tonight. It is just a thought that crossed me. So instead of getting deeply concerned over it, the best would be to pay a visit to him, sit across and discuss the issue and also express your genuine concerns mentioned above. Please ask him to provide the documents to you. If he dodges that more than once then you have an issue. But till such time kindly take it that he has all the documents are with him and all is well.
Old 4th February 2014, 07:25   #12
BHPian

Quote:
However, if I need to be prepared for the worst, and he finally admits he's lost the papers, am I back to square one? Does my wife need to get the lease transfer forms again (don't know if that's possible) and we start from scratch the process again?
Even if you are back to square one, you will atleast know where you stand? Thereafter, you can start to rethink the future course of action. But the delay in knowing the truth will only compound the problem further. Gather the conviction within yourself and confront this agent and be prepared for worse.

Life doesn't stop at loss of papers. Every problem has a solution. There must be a teaching in the whole exercise, that is why Almighty wants to you go through this trouble. He will pull you out of this as well. Have faith and do your duty.

Best wishes
Old 4th February 2014, 10:56   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

I suggest you take this seriously and follow it up to closure. Leaving original car documents with an untrusted agent is not the smartest thing in the world. A worst-case scenario I can think of is the car being fraudulently transferred to some third party (there was a case like this I remember on the forums).

Please take some time out and visit the agent; if he still hasn't done it, ask for your papers back and write off the expenses as a lesson learnt.
Old 4th February 2014, 11:49   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
A worst-case scenario I can think of is the car being fraudulently transferred to some third party (there was a case like this I remember on the forums).
Thanks. Hopefully that's not the case, as last weekend I was passing by a Bangalore-one center, and took the latest RC-B extract. It still shows the name of the original company.

I'll reclaim the papers back this Saturday, and hopefully he can return. Worst case if he doesn't, we need to start the whole procedure again, including getting the duplicate RC card first, unsure about the pain we need to go through again. Moreover, the company my wife works for (the name in which lease was on) doesn't exist anymore, been split and sold and change names -- hence getting the lease transfer papers redone is another impossible job. But anyway, I've decided to take it head on, though none of us have spare time for this.
Old 4th February 2014, 15:42   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorBlades View Post
I am stuck in a similar hustle. I had to re-register my MH registration motorcycle to a TN one. Gave it to the RTO guys last April for processing. Tried with an agent too, no luck so far! I enquired at the RTO and they said they have sent the NOC validity check to Mumbai and they are not responding. RTO over here at my hometown, now I know him personally and he says if I can move the document in Mumbai and once they send an acknowledgement he can re-register my motorcycle within a week.

The Mumbai RTO never responds.Been there done that for transferring my MH reg zen to a KL09 (Palakkad).It took me 4 months to get everything in shape.Got it done without any agents help.Fortunately the palakkad RTO observes a time frame.If all is well mumbai RTO will not respond and they assume the NOC to be verified(don't know how true but thats what i have heard).
rakesh_r is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks