Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2014, 20:05   #76
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Video: Why you should be cautious at road junctions

With so many accidents, what is NHAI is doing? Why are they not addressing the issue?

Also at the same, the people who entered are certainly regular user of the junction, they know the roads, but almost all of them enter the highway without STOP and LOOK. Unfortunately end up paying for the same.
Old 25th March 2014, 10:17   #77
BHPian

Looking at the video, my key observations are,
1) The 2 wheelers looks like were on a suicide mission ( atleast most of them ), also most fatal accidents were of 2 wheelers
2) The traffic/vehicles on the straight line were really at a very high speed, unable to judge the crossing vehicles or unable to control when they got to know that vehicle is going to cross without waiting for him.

The tractor guy after knocking out the MUV into the ditch, just runs off leaving the vehicle in running condition, without realizing that by his action he might cause more damage to other peoples lives than what he has already done.

Seat belts, Airbags, and whatever safety equipment will be much needed on our roads. Most importantly, its not about your driving skills, but of others on the road.
Old 25th March 2014, 12:06   #78
Senior - BHPian

Stupid driving, its simple to see where you are driving look for the vehicles before crossing the road.

The stupidest is the bus cutting the road between two fast moving cars, waiting for one car to pass and the bus starts to cross the road not allowing the other vehicle to pass.

Has anything been done by the administration to reduce the accidents?

They have CCTV data showing them the reasons for the accident.

Is the road situation status quo there ?

The regular travelers on the road can update us.

Last edited by tanwaramit : 25th March 2014 at 12:09.
Old 25th March 2014, 13:07   #79
BHPian

So many correct observations already made , I am sure these couple would already have been made
1) The design of the intersection is wrong for sure but the complete lack of awareness of this hazard by the two wheeler riders who are driving with a know it all attitude. They have to be careful as they are the ones who pay dearly in the event of a crash. They have no air bags or crash zones. They hit the road really hard and pay the heaviest price.
2) Lack of patience is rampant. Its seen across the section of colliding vehicles.
3) Some have crashed trying to avoid the errant person and have paid the price.
4) In one the incidents the errant tractor driver is also seen escaping and the tractor falls into the ditch.
5) Most people in the cars will escape if they wear seatbelts and their cars have airbags.
Old 25th March 2014, 15:04   #80
BHPian

One of the junction seems to be on the Bangalore-Hyderabad highway. I have traveled extensively on this stretch and I must say that is is one of the best and fastest roads in India currently. There are absolutely no curves, we can see at-least a Km of road ahead, It invites you to press the pedal. Average speeds of cars on few stretches is 130kmph.
If you look at the video carefully most of the vehicles have braked hard but because of simple laws of physics vehicle has too much momentum to stop. This video should be a Eye opener for drivers who feel they can control cars at 100+ speeds.
Old 25th March 2014, 15:36   #81
BHPian

At 2:54 mark in the video, would ABS have helped steer the car safely? I could not determine what car that is, so I do not know if it had ABS or not.
Old 25th March 2014, 15:48   #82
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager-1 View Post
At 2:54 mark in the video, would ABS have helped steer the car safely? I could not determine what car that is, so I do not know if it had ABS or not.
I don't think so.
I feel the car driver was in the wrong side of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Target_fixation

Maybe he kept thinking the bike would not move forward?

Also if you pause at exactly 3:01 you can see rubber marks on the road. I don't think a car with ABS would have left those.

Last edited by bblost : 25th March 2014 at 15:49.
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2014, 07:48   #83
BHPian

This is downright scary. I echo everyone with the thought of a speed breaker. but again most of the drivers here are driving or trying to with a very low buffer space at most a feet or more. I think that stretch is too long meaning even the lorries are at full speed - this is a nice feature so they should not have a gap at the median. They should also make a "bulb" u turn like i find in many places in Noida. R.I.P to the departed.
Old 26th March 2014, 11:38   #84
BHPian

No amount of speed breakers or fly overs are going to help avert accidents if people drive without common sense. The authorities have already installed the below in most of the highway intersections I have driven
• Sign boards well ahead of the intersection informing the drivers of the same
• Speed restriction in the intersection area
• Proper markings on the road
• Series of minor humps that make the vibrating effect (Sorry, I do not know what these are called)
• Orange lights blinking whole day and night at the intersection
If the moronic drivers ignore all these, a few humps are only going to add to the accidents. What is needed to avert accidents is common sense. We can make humongous infrastructure efforts to make roads safe but it will all need a minimum level of road sense from the drivers.
Looking at the video, if one of the drivers followed one of the basic traffic rules below, the accidents would not have occurred.
• Slowdown at the intersection
• Lookout and make sure that there are no vehicles coming at you before crossing.
Forget about traffic laws, even if one of the drivers had the common sense to understand the simple points below, the accidents would not have happened.
• It is difficult to control a moving vehicle at high speed even if you have the most advanced one.
• Vehicles travel at very high speed in the highway and it will be on you before you know it.
• A 4-laned highway is wider and it takes more time to cross it than the city road.
• When you are at the intersection and there is a vehicle in the right lane in the oncoming direction, there is a blind spot to the left of it.
• And last but not the least, accidents can happen to you as well however safe you think you are.
These things are nothing that has to be taught of, every human being knows it. If a person does not have the ability to use his own brain, no amount of safety measures can help him.
Anand3553 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2014, 12:03   #85
Senior - BHPian

I am surprised to see the speed at which the vehicles are travelling on the main highway. Isn't there any indication that there is a junction ahead ?
There are such ones on NH4 near Hiriyur (turning towards Mysuru). I have never seen vehicles driving so fast even without any humps or people cutting off without regards to vehicles in the main road. (they are converting every such intersection with a flyover into non-intersection thankfully)
Old 26th March 2014, 12:22   #86
Senior - BHPian

The accident at 5:50 is the height. The driver is at such speed that he cannot take the left-turn and crashes into the light-mast.

BTW, I showed this clip to my 6-year old son last week to help him understand what a bit of patience can do and how to approach junctions etc. He had 2 comments :

1) How stupid can some of those folks be ? Infact I saw him later try to explain the accidents in the video to his cousins, but would end up laughing before completing the narration.

2) Why is there no signal there at the junction ?
Old 26th March 2014, 15:06   #87

In my opinion, with more power and better maneuverability at vehicles are equipped to move and negotiate roads faster and better. It is the human mind that has not kept pace with this development, in some cases it has been slow (people on cars/heavy vehicles) and sometimes faster, especially motorcyclists. Nowadays people have developed a false sense of superiority and invulnerability which is a major cause of these types of accidents. What I saw in the video taking place on highways is common in city traffic now. Self-preservation is the mantra which needs to be exercised while commuting, be it within city limits or on highways.
Old 31st March 2014, 00:49   #88
BHPian

Just came back from a drive to Bangalore. And no, none of these intersections/junctions are on the route to Bangalore contrary to what I said it was. Couldn't observe any towers or places that these cameras could be placed on the road, and the road itself looks entirely different from the video. But there do remain many such dangerous intersections on NH7/44. And this time, I was extra cautious at every such possible junction, slowing down considerably, down to 60 or less, at every junction after watching this video. Thanks to whoever compiled and uploaded it.
Old 1st April 2014, 12:10   #89
BHPian

Holy Cow.. that video was disturbing
One thing which I noticed in each of these incidents is that the people trying to cross the road were culprits and not the ones who were driving straight. While the latter should have slowed down approaching a cross road, people crossing the road should look, wait & allow the incoming vehicle to pass and then cross the road, most of the car, bus drivers simply took a turn and stood right in front of the road and got being hit.
Also, with 2 wheelers they feel its their birth right to change lanes immediately at an acute angle when they want without looking left or right.

However, I find such videos as real eye openers and IMO it should be shown on Billboards on roads so that people realize the mistakes that happen and drive more safe
Old 1st April 2014, 12:25   #90
PVS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anand3553 View Post
• Series of minor humps that make the vibrating effect (Sorry, I do not know what these are called)
These are called rumble strips. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rumble_strip
PVS is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks