Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2014, 10:48   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Alto rear-ended by an Amaze: See the results

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinmaybaikar View Post
Fun part
They guy couldn't get out of his car because his door wasn't opening completely. Probably because of the damage. I pulled his door open which apparently took a lot of strength. After he got out, the first thing he went to check was the rear end when clearly the maximum damage was done at the front
Most probably the frontal impact wouldn't have spread in to the cabin but he would have felt the rear impact and hence checked the rear first. Also, he wouldn't have expected a major damage as this. Even other wise there is no fun in a accident situation either its major or minor.
arun_josie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2014, 10:48   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
And chinmaybaikar, don't replace the bumper outright, get it checked at an FNG first - most probably he will be able to set it right and also do a decent touch up job.
The bumper is torn off under the hatch door. And I will surely get the suspension and metal body checked for damage.

Note from Support - Please avoid quoting an entire post as it inconveniences our mobile and handheld users.

Last edited by n_aditya : 8th July 2014 at 14:02.
Old 7th July 2014, 10:57   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Was the A-pillar damaged by any chance? It shouldn't looking at the impact pics. Wondering how the door got jammed then.
The front fender might have been pushed back a little causing the door to get obstructed when opening.

Quote:
And the metal body behind the bumper surely would have been damaged a little, get that checked also. Looks like the Alto has taken the hit pretty well but i guess its mostly because of the Amaze.
Yeah a front to rear impact will always result in more damage to the car that is hit from the front. Pedestrian safety and crumple zone being the main reason as Samurai mentioned.

Ofcourse Honda's are known to have thinner sheet metal which results in damage looking worse than severity of the accident.
Vid6639 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th July 2014, 11:09   #19
Senior - BHPian

The Amaze guy got what he deserved for being rash and careless.
How could he afford to drive that way in a city like Mumbai, unless there was some braking failure?
Old 7th July 2014, 11:22   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

From what I have seen, notwithstanding anything else, vehicle that's in motion (and at higher speed) suffers more damage than vehicle that's stationary.
anandpadhye is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th July 2014, 11:30   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The bumper is torn off under the hatch door. And I will surely get the suspension and metal body checked for damage.
Chinmay, Just have a look on this video from youtube that shows how to repair a bumper damage with a heat gun. Your car too needs just this and for your fulfillment of thoughts you can get the metal body checked but I am sure no severe damage will be there. As for the suspension I doubt that it would be damaged.

For your help!

Now here is the picture of your car with repair solutions to the damage.

Alto rear-ended by an Amaze: See the results-img_20140706_134510.jpg

Even now I will say that there is no-point wasting your money on insurance for such a small thing.

Thanks.
ad3952n is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th July 2014, 11:58   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

I have always noticed this that the car always suffers more damage in the front end. And as others have already mentioned it, it ought to be due to the crumple zones and probably the higher momentum of the Amaze in this case. BTW was this Amaze variant with Airbags? If yes, Did they deploy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
The Amaze guy got what he deserved for being rash and careless.
How could he afford to drive that way in a city like Mumbai, unless there was some braking failure?
Sometimes it is difficult to judge with multiple factors like going down a expressway/flyover, one tends to slightly overspeed. Also you have to see that even the Auto behind the Amaze rear ended it. So the braking must have been very sudden on a relatively free road where no one was expecting it.

Last edited by drmohitg : 7th July 2014 at 12:02.
drmohitg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th July 2014, 12:01   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad3952n View Post

Now here is the picture of your car with repair solutions to the damage.

Attachment 1258346

Even now I will say that there is no-point wasting your money on insurance for such a small thing.

Thanks.
Have you totally forgotten about the huge metal panel behind the front bumper. While visible damage maybe much lesser the boot area where the spare tyre is and the sheet metal behind the rear bumper may have been pushed inside.
Vid6639 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th July 2014, 12:03   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Chinmay,

Thanks.
I am not in a hurry, so will do check at a FNG. I just need it back in perfect shape. It just hurts to see the car in a bad shape. I will update you guys soon and appreciate the help

The broken bumperAlto rear-ended by an Amaze: See the results-img_20140707_120458033_hdr.jpg

Last edited by chinmaybaikar : 7th July 2014 at 12:19.
Old 7th July 2014, 12:12   #25
Senior - BHPian

Wow...

Amazing pics. But fail to understand how an impact with an Alto could result in such a bad front?

Speaks volumes of the sheet metal Honda uses for its cars.

Thank God you are all safe!!
arnabchak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2014, 12:30   #26
BHPian

Thats Amazing how much the Honda "Amaze" got impacted. Even the car door was stuck which shows how light the built is.

Did this happen just after the railway bridge (Veer savarkar flyover) on the way to WEH from SV Road? If so, that place is prone to such accidents. The bridge is a bit steep on both sides. Any vehicle coming from top is bound to gather momentum. Moreover, when going towards WEH the road curves to the right due to which it can become difficult for any vehicle in high speed to control his vehicle. There is possibility of the driver being blinded too due to the curve.

I guess the "Amaze" guy learnt his lesson the hard way.

Though your damage seem minimal, you may want to check if the boot assembly is dented in any way.
sukhoi30 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2014, 12:36   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am not in a hurry, so will do check at a FNG. I just need it back in perfect shape.

The broken bumper
Chinmay, Seeing the broken part I am very sure that this can be stitched back at any FNG. One of our fellow member "KALINGA" had faced a similar issue with the rear bumper of his Ertiga and finally got it repaired at a FNG recently and the results are very good.

Here is a link: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...iga-zxi-6.html

Thanks
Old 7th July 2014, 13:28   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Chinmay, Seeing the broken part I am very sure that this can be stitched back at any FNG. One of our fellow member "KALINGA" had faced a similar issue with the rear bumper of his Ertiga and finally got it repaired at a FNG recently and the results are very good.

Here is a link: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...iga-zxi-6.html

Thanks

Why stich back the bumper? I would say its ok to stich a bumper if the damage is light and the cost of a new bumper goes into thousands.

But in this case the bumper is cracked near the bolt joints which can compromise the strength of the bumper also Maruti alto bumpers are not very expensive
Last time I enquired it was some 2,500 + painting charges.
Captain Slow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2014, 13:46   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
Why stich back the bumper? I would say its ok to stich a bumper if the damage is light
But in this case the bumper is cracked near the bolt joints which can compromise the strength of the bumper also Maruti alto bumpers are not very expensive
Last time I enquired it was some 2,500 + painting charges.
Mate, From the pics I can see that the damage is not much including the broken part. Stitching it would serve the purpose in my opinion. However, the final call on the same is to be taken by Chinmay. Also, I feel if the damage can be repaired to the best state in a reasonable amount then why to get involved in formalities of insurance etc and end up paying a heavy amount in comparison to a good FNG's price.

Thanks
ad3952n is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2014, 14:04   #30
Senior - BHPian

The way the Alto bumper has cracked at two places near the left rear tail light, I don't think it will have it's strength back by stitching. It is better to change the bumper and by the cost of the bumper (stated by Captain Slow) the total cost including painting should be something around 5K.

Chinmay, If the loss of NCB is lesser than the estimated cost then claim for insurance, otherwise you need to bear the cost from your pocket.
Sommos is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks