Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2016, 11:39   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: Please give right of way to Ambulances & Emergency Vehicles!

It was heartening to see in my RVM , every single vehicle , including trucks and CVs , give way to an ambulance. Except for a lady driving a beige WagonR. The guy tried to honk at her too, but no luck, he had to swerve and pass her. Wonder why such stubbornness ?

Check after 1:00. Later in the video you can see other vehicles moving to the side to allow this vehicle to pass.

sajo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2016, 12:08   #77
BHPian

I should say that almost all vehicles give way to an ambulance in Kerala. But some idiotic drivers try to tail gate ambulances so that they can also use the gap provided by other traffic for the ambulances.
Old 3rd June 2016, 12:23   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
I should say that almost all vehicles give way to an ambulance in Kerala. But some idiotic drivers try to tail gate ambulances so that they can also use the gap provided by other traffic for the ambulances.
Sometimes the vehicle just behind the ambulance has the people related to the patient in the ambulance but yes, thats not always
Old 3rd June 2016, 17:46   #79
BANNED

I think someone should teach the cops, that the siren is for emergency and not to clear traffic. Ditto for Ambulances. The net result is people tend to ignore the hooters.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2016, 21:48   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

Personally I think the appropriate authorities should get together and standardize ambulances w.r.t. at least basic aspects like colour of vehicle and type of emergency lights and siren modulation. Also fine them for non functioning or inadequate emergency lights!

So many times in BLR I see an innocuous Omni next to me with malfunctioning lights, insignificant siren and weak horn masquerading as an ambulance!

If you want the general population to react in a standardized manner then standardize the bloody ambulances! More an execution issue than not.

Further give them proper ear shattering sirens like in the UK & US! Trust me, I have been followed by a ICU ambulance for 300 metres in a choked B-road once in Stratford-upon-Avon and I was deaf for an hour afterwards.

Last edited by itwasntme : 3rd June 2016 at 21:55. Reason: Sirens
itwasntme is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2016, 22:10   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Further give them proper ear shattering sirens like in the UK & US! Trust me, I have been followed by a ICU ambulance for 300 metres in a choked B-road once in Stratford-upon-Avon and I was deaf for an hour afterwards.

Yes. Please someone equip our ambulances with proper air horns. A car's driver in front of the ambulance should move out of they way or become deaf. People will give way only when threatened with bodily harm. As a kid I used to wonder why ambulances are not equipped with roof mounted machine guns :P . Then realised it'll create only more work for the ambulance.
blackwasp is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th June 2016, 10:06   #82
BHPian

In Bangalore, I have seen it improve. People do try to give way whenever possible. The only issue is that they themselves are stuck in a jam with no place to go.
Old 30th July 2016, 21:04   #83
BHPian

Had a good experience today. Felt happy that I was able to help someone in need. I was returning from Matunga to Thane via the eastern express highway when I ran smack into a traffic jam at the Mulund toll plaza. For those not from Mumbai this is a very famous traffic spot. An ambulance with sirens blaring came up from the rear. People normally give way but the traffic situation was such that it was simply not possible. People from the ambulance got down and were requesting motorists to budge but it was too jam packed. That's when I asked the driver of the ambulance where did he wish to go. He said he was carrying a cardiac case and wanted to go to Jupiter hospital about 4 kms down the road. Somehow the other between me and two other drivers we managed to create a gap and I decided to pilot the ambulance till the hospital-it lies on my way home. I was driving a bolero and went pedal to the wall. I know that patch of the road very well and I was expecting that further down the road truck drivers will be hogging the fast lanes. Well I was right and these guys just refused to budge. I mean what kind of humans they are? What if it was them in the ambulance? Well we managed to weave through the traffic and reached the hospital in less than 5 minutes. Really felt good that I was in a position to help. Is there any way we can bring these truckers to book? I would love to see them punished for their on road behaviour. Please please give way for an ambulance always!
ankurchaturvedi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th June 2017, 17:55   #84
BHPian

In today's Times of India (Mumbai edition), page 7 (see attached PDF file), an advertorial encourages ordinary motorists to:

"BREAK THE SIGNAL TO LET THE AMBULANCE PASS: Ambulances are licensed to break signals and also allowed to drive through the wrong side. Motorists should be aware of this rule and hence break the signal to allow an ambulance to pass. Not many are aware that it is legal to break signal if there is an emergency vehicle behind, so that it can pass easily."

Is this rule true pan India? If yes, could somebody specify the specific section under which breaking the signal to allow an emergency vehicle to pass is allowed?

According to Motor Vehicles (Amendment) Bill, 2016, Section 194E (see link here), "..Whoever while driving a motor vehicle fails to draw to the side of the road, on the approach of a fire service vehicle or of an ambulance or other emergency vehicle as may be specified by the State Government, shall be punishable with imprisonment for a term which may extend to six months, or with a fine of ten thousand rupees or with both..."

However, nowhere does it mention that it is legal for an ordinary motorist to break the signal to allow an emergency vehicle to pass. I feel that it may be VERY DANGEROUS for an ordinary motorist (not trained in emergency vehicle driving procedures) to break the signal.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Ambulance Etiquette for Fellow Drivers.pdf (743.6 KB, 744 views)
msprabhakar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2018, 00:04   #85
BHPian

We all know how bad are the single laned roads in Kerala. Today I was just passing through overcrowded NH-17(old) from Kasaragod to Mangalore. The road was completely filled with potholes. It's apt to call them ditches than potholes. Vehicles were lined up in a civilised way to pass these ditches. After a few minutes in the line I noticed couple of vehicles driving right through and joining wherever they found sufficient gap to sneak their vehicles in.

Then this happened. An ambulance arrived and it was stuck for seven minutes in the same place.
Attached Thumbnails
Please give right of way to Ambulances & Emergency Vehicles!-img_20180822_200058.jpg  

Please give right of way to Ambulances & Emergency Vehicles!-img20180822wa0033.jpeg  

Please give right of way to Ambulances & Emergency Vehicles!-img_20180822_195248.jpg  

Old 6th July 2023, 13:39   #86
BHPian

Posting this to reactivate the thread.

Today while on the service road of the Eastern express highway in Mumbai, 2 ambulances were stuck in traffic at 8:40am.
It was heartwarming to see traffic part for them so they could be on their way. Kudos to Mumbai drivers.

The fly in the ointment was the behavior of some auto rickshaw and 2 wheeler drivers (surprise).
These guys were stuck to the back side of the ambulance and using the path cleared to sneak through traffic themselves, putting the ambulance and themselves at risk.
This kind of short-term focused selfish behavior is exactly why our roads will stay third world like, no matter how much the infrastructure improves.
Attached Thumbnails
Please give right of way to Ambulances & Emergency Vehicles!-img_1335.jpeg  

Mustang Sammy is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks