Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2014, 16:49   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Pillion wearing helmet = Criminals on bike, say Cops

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishsingh View Post
I think we should ignore this as one of the idiosyncrasies of the average Indian people. For example, I see lots of people waving and gesturing vehemently to tell the drives of cars/bikes that their light are on during the daytime, but have never seen anyone do that to the dudes who have their head lights off during the night.
Not really. A person would not know if his lights are on during the daytime while if they are off at night, its obvious that its intentionally off. Hence, signalling during daytime and not at night has a logic.

Quote:
I am sure this is a one-off incident of a not-so-smart policeman.
Unfortunately not. The root cause is that its a rare sight to see pillion wearing a helmet in most of the Indian cities and that has to do with 'un-smartness' of ours. So, that is the reason why pillion with a helmet sparks a doubt. Who knows there could have been a time in past when even the rider wearing a helmet grabbed attention of the cops! So, once pillions with helmet is a norm, I do not think it will raise an alarm with the policemen.

Quote:
I saw a traffic policeman in Hyderabad asking someone to put his helmet straps on and explaining that helmets are of hardly any use without the straps. Am pretty sure that what I saw is again a one-off incident; albeit a positive one.
Yes, that is a one-off incident. Thumbs up to the policemen and I hope that people listen and follow his advice. But that will only happen when people realize that they could actually 'die' if they do not put on helmets. I would always suggest a proper full-face helmet (disagreeing with a dear member who suggested half-face ones) which is properly strapped while riding or being pillion. Without straps in place, the helmet may not be in place when you need it the most.

Regards,
Saket

Last edited by saket77 : 26th September 2014 at 16:50.
saket77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2014, 17:02   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4D View Post
Before I tell you what happened, I recommend all fellow two-wheeler riders to wear helmets even if you're a pillion. That's what I do and I wish more people also would do.

This incident happened to me today when I was riding pillion with my friend. We had just exited college at around 1230 pm today and cops stopped us at Hosakerahalli cross(in Bangalore). We got down and removed our helmets.
They asked my friend to show his DL, registration, tax receipt and insurance. My friend promptly showed them all and the policeman didn't find anything out of order.

P(Policeman): Where are you both working?
M(Me): Sir, we're college students. Just now left college, after writing an exam.
P(pointing to me, the pillion): Why are you wearing helmet?
M: Safety sir. I believe that a pillion must wear helmet too.
P: You know why we stopped you? We always (read as=make it a point) stop a two-wheeler in which both rider and pillion wear helmets (I was like- ) as we assume something fishy like chain snatching is going on.
M: Ok sir.
P: Show me your college Ids
<We show him our Ids>
P: We're leaving you because you are college students. Normally otherwise, you would be called to police station and the inspector decides what to do.

What happened next was surprising:

P(to me, the pillion): Don't wear that helmet. Carry it in your hand.

We drive off without me wearing the helmet.
Ask me friend to stop after a 300 meters, and put on the helmet. After all, I'm not breaking any law.

Why should policemen discourage people from wearing two helmets?

I strongly recommend you reach out to Bangalore Traffic Police on their Facebook page. Its good to report it and educate the cops in this case.

Last edited by gurudutt : 26th September 2014 at 17:04.
gurudutt is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th September 2014, 17:08   #33
BHPian

Similar issues happen everywhere, and the major reason is that our Police is not aware.
The constables who usually stand on roads to check people are not trained and not up to date with time, neither they are clear with the laws, They just follow the orders which are transmitted through Waky-Taky or in their respective police chowkis.

Once on a Maharashtra Highway driving from Nasik to Mumbai in a Gujrat Registered car i was pulled over by cops. There was no reason to be pull over,but only that the bumper of my car was damaged.

P: Bumper tuta hai, Kisko uda ke arahe ho !! Licence dikhao...

I replied that its been broken since a long time and i need it to be replaced and i gave him my smart card which was issued from MP.

P: ye kya card dikha rahe ho licence ki kitab dikhao... ye MP ka card nahi chalta yahan , kitab dikhao...

I was damn shit surprised by the ignorance of the hawaldar.. and i told him that the licence is valid all over India and this is a new licence... he took it to his senior to get verified, and when his Sahab said OK, he agreed to Licence.

Then he said - Ab ruke ho to Chai to pila do !! he cleared demanded 100 bugs for letting us go which was purely unethical and uncalled for.
My friend sitting next to me gave it with out doing any Yes/NO saying, it would be a waste of time if we argue as the cop then wanted to investigate why my bumper was broken.

and when we were about to leave and as soon as i plugged my seat belt, he same, put his hand inside the window n removed it, saying 100 rs de diye ab zarurat nahi hai lagage ki aage koi roke to LIGHT dikha ke nikal jana, ya bol dena piche de diye hai !!

Even the Police consider the Helmet/Seat-belts necessary just because there is a fine associated to it and completely ignoring the safety part .

Police needs an big upgrade in their knowledge and technical skills.
ashishmathur14 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2014, 17:14   #34
D4D
BHPian

Quote:
I am sure this is a one-off incident of a not-so-smart policeman.
To stop people and ask questions is sometimes acceptable, but to advise one not to wear a helmet? I think that's a few levels below being 'not-so-smart'

Quote:
To counter your experience, the other day I saw a traffic policeman in Hyderabad asking someone to put his helmet straps on and explaining that helmets are of hardly any use without the straps. Am pretty sure that what I saw is again a one-off incident; albeit a positive one.
A very good incident. I tell people to do the same. The only thing you are saving be not wearing the strap is a few hundreds of rupees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Roy View Post
Going by his logic, wat is their plan of action if the helmet wearing, chain snatching, bomb making thief/terrorist is a lone rider? How are they going to stop such crimes then.
They must be thinking that the solo riders can't use their hands for committing a crime.

With the riders who are talented enough to smoke and text while riding bikes, you never know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurudutt View Post
I strongly recommend you reach out to Bangalore Traffic Police on their Facebook page. Its good to report it and educate the cops in this case.
I did it.
Old 26th September 2014, 17:20   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

I was stopped once by a constable for riding with Helmet + Jacket + Gloves. Reason being he suspected me to be a chain snatcher or a bike thief. Showed him all documents which pointed my name itself and told them about myself. He even took down my name and contact number for reasons unknown. This episode repeated again a week later when he told I shouldnt wear jacket and gloves and I ensured that he had a talk with a higher up.

I appreciate the kind of approach they show towards such instances, however, its unscientific/dumb to advise pillions to not wear helmets, or not use riding gear. Agreed, chain snatchers come in a similar avatar, but in spite of such measures, the thieves always get away from such things, while innocent people are unnecessarily burdened.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2014, 17:20   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by kookaburra View Post
Car with sun film: Illegal because it hides the faces of the occupants of the car
Helmets for bikers: Legal even when it does the same thing above?
The relation you are trying to make is quite absurd. Helmet is for safety of a person where as a sun film is only to block the harsh sun rays.
How ever i do agree with you that banning all types of sun films is wrong. According to the LAW, a sun film with above 70% visibility is legal ( correct me if i am wrong ). Now a days with such harsh weather, the least we can do is apply a light sun film to protect ourselves. this issue should be raised.

Sorry for going
calypsoGT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2014, 17:34   #37
BHPian

I have also been stopped once in Jaipur when i was riding a Ninja wearing a jacket, gloves, boots and a helmet with dark visor along with a couple of friends on their bikes . Reason given: You look like you are about to race!!

I simply said that i am concerned about my safety and wear all of it for my safety. He said you shouldn't wear it and that you will get attention everywhere from cope. I requested him to make me talk to his superior. I simply explained him the reasoning. And he let me go.

Luckily, in Jaipur, both the rider and pillion have to wear a helmet compulsorily. Had an accident abut 1.5 year back. Me and my brother did not suffer from major injuries just because we wearing full face helmets.

The logic given by policemen is not at all justified. They surely can stop someone. But asking the pillion to not wear a helmet is not at all acceptable. Good that the OP complained.

Cheers
amansanc
amansanc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2014, 17:40   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
To counter your experience, the other day I saw a traffic policeman in Hyderabad asking someone to put his helmet straps on and explaining that helmets are of hardly any use without the straps. Am pretty sure that what I saw is again a one-off incident; albeit a positive one.
In fact this is also subject of one of the campaigns launched by delhi traffic police.
Many young adults seem to prefer wearing the helmet without securing it. I had asked just such a young fellow - a service engineer of some sort, attending to a complaint at my residence. His reply was "I need to stop frequently to ask for directions, and it's easier to take the helmet off, if the straps are not secured! "
Old 26th September 2014, 18:03   #39
BHPian

Quote:
So the cops say that wearing a helmet makes you a likely terrorist or a thief, no wonder they refrain from wearing a helmet themselves.
Old 26th September 2014, 18:55   #40
BHPian

This is ridiculous. Just today morning I was riding pillion with my friend with a full face helmet. My priority was very simple - safety. But if a cop had stopped I guess I would have burst out laughing. I do agree, a post on FB is a must form our side.

Btw, In chennai Cops - not the traffic police, but the regular cops keep hauling up motorists on a regular basis. They check the license, papers and note down address and phone number. Something to do with the high number of cases where criminals use a motorcycle as a modus operandi. But that said they are quite courteous. In my case I was wearing a helmet and was riding. There was a half hearted attempt to flag me down, to which even though I had passed him, put my blinkers, made a u turn and stopped. I enquired politely, what was the issue, showed my license, he took down my name and number and then done, i was on my way. Yes we could argue the unnecessary big brother attitude with the personal details collection, but I guess there is no smoke without fire. Lot of crimes targeting elderly folks and single women are being committed by motorcycle borne criminals. So yeah.

cheers!
sai
Old 26th September 2014, 21:24   #41
Senior - BHPian

On the same lines....

Incident 1 - Me and a friend of mine were asked to come to a police station in Davangere, because we asked the cop for directions. We were then forced to spend 2 hours in a police station because they detained us on ground of being suspected terrorists. Their reasoning - we were riding all 'packed' up i.e. we had full riding gear on (helmet, armored jacket, knee guards, gloves). Do keep in mind that both of us bright red and blue bikes and matching bright riding gear, by no means were we 'blending in'. Wonder what terrorists like to 'stand out'. And no language barrier here, my riding partner is Kannadiga. Finally after 2 hours of searching through our luggage not finding anything, they let us go reluctantly.

Incident 2 - I was leaving Valparai hill station relatively early in the morning (7AM) alone, and I was clicking pictures on the way. On the outskirts of town two forest office constables stopped me for documents check. After 30 minutes since they did not understand, they insisted on taking me back to town to the forest police station. Their even their senior was perplexed and they suspected I was some Naxalite head honcho since my documents did not add up in their heads. Because my bike is TN registered, my license is issued in MH and my living location is KA.. that to them was me giving a fake identity. After 3 hours of going through all my luggage, pictures clicked in camera and finding no 'naxal' evidence they let me go.

Both times the cops forcibly asked to write a letter stating that I was not harassed by them ...
praful is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 27th September 2014, 17:32   #42
BHPian

Quote:

We drive off without me wearing the helmet.
Ask me friend to stop after a 300 meters, and put on the helmet. After all, I'm not breaking any law.

I believe there lays a general perception that if the pillion as well as the rider wear helmets, there's something fishy. We go on bike rides, almost every weekend, and it's a thumb rule that everyone, rider or pillion, has to wear a helmet, jackets and shoes. Some carry backpacks too. You won't believe the amount of stares and smirks we attract at traffic junctions. I don't understand Kannada much, but there are people who look at us and mumble stuff like 'Dhoom 4' and 'Biker Gang'.
I think I should just accept the reality that in our country, a helmet is an accessory to avoid that 100 buck bribe to the frustrated cop, and should be taken off immediately as soon as you enter by-lanes and there's no cop in sight.

Quote:
This incident happened to me today when I was riding pillion with my friend. We had just exited college at around 1230 pm today and cops stopped us at Hosakerahalli cross(in Bangalore).
By the way, PESITIAN?
barcalad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2014, 20:51   #43
BHPian

Quote:
P: We're leaving you because you are college students. Normally otherwise, you would be called to police station and the inspector decides what to do.

What happened next was surprising:

P(to me, the pillion): Don't wear that helmet. Carry it in your hand.
Well, I am not surprised hearing this. There were several chain snatching cases reported in our area and there are posters on walls; asking residents to be aware.

Both riders wearing helmets = chain snatchers; that's the training to constables.

Do not report the cop on facebook; he was just doing his duty and following orders.
turbodude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2014, 18:43   #44
Senior - BHPian

Its just one of those things that bring me back to reality, the reality of the world I am living in and my child will grow up in. And here I was actually feeling a small sense of joy on the Mars mission (I am not what you would call overly patriotic)

Its in this wonderful country we see all sorts of methods and ideas implemented. None, however are remotely there to address the issue.

Unfortunate animalistic offences against women? Close down all the clubs, ban concerts. Cannot catch thieves? Lets start harrassing law abiding students just going about their business

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
And in other news - white collar criminals wear seatbelts
THE!!! Comment on this thread. I would hug you man

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
What in your opinion, would be a more palatable compromise?
Here's the problem. We have an opinion on everything, even on how one must do their jobs. How can we make their jobs easier?

Why compromise? I want law and order without such stupid measures. Too much to ask?

And to all those that are condoning the policeman's action - I am going to make a judgement call here. You guys have never been on two wheels and do not understand both the joy and danger being on 2 wheels carries. Else under no circumstances would you even think of endorsing such behaviour and comments from the cops. Its not Ok to put people in grave danger because of someone else's incompetence. Let us think hard and evaluate what we are endorsing
Urban_Nomad is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th September 2014, 09:05   #45
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
And in other news - white collar criminals wear seatbelts

I think you should report the incidence.
This is like saying, "If you are wearing a turban, you are Osama."

A couple months back my colleague got in a mishap while riding with his wife. He walked out of it, his wife, not so much. I mean she is recovering but the head injuries have left some mental trauma that the family will have to deal with until the doctors can find a way to treat it.

He always came to me when he needed some motor servicing or buying advice but never took the advice that I always gave for free: Both the riders should wear helmet.

After the pillion helmet rule in Delhi, I said, "You need a rule to be implemented to follow my advice."
MaheshY1 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks