Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2014, 10:16   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Pillion wearing helmet = Criminals on bike, say Cops

Quote:
Originally Posted by calypsoGT View Post
According to the LAW, a sun film with above 70% visibility is legal ( correct me if i am wrong ).
Sorry but that is wrong. NO Sunfilm of any VLT whatsoever is allowed according to the law. ONLY company fitted tinted glasses of 70% VLT are allowed. Here is a whole thread discussing the same:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-sun-film.html
drmohitg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th September 2014, 12:05   #47
Senior - BHPian

This is funny - God save us from such police!

Now all we need is an Avishek Goenka to petition the SC to ban any full face helmets or helmets with dark visors.
phamilyman is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th September 2014, 13:10   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post

Here's the problem. We have an opinion on everything, even on how one must do their jobs. How can we make their jobs easier?

Why compromise? I want law and order without such stupid measures. Too much to ask?

And to all those that are condoning the policeman's action - I am going to make a judgement call here. You guys have never been on two wheels and do not understand both the joy and danger being on 2 wheels carries. Else under no circumstances would you even think of endorsing such behaviour and comments from the cops. Its not Ok to put people in grave danger because of someone else's incompetence. Let us think hard and evaluate what we are endorsing
Your assumption is both incorrect and irrelevant (regarding being a biker). Moreover, me and my family members have been victims of helmet wearing criminals on bikes, three times in the past, so my sympathetic attitude towards the policeman's perspective, is derived from personal experience, and not any egalitarian and elitist views of the world we live in. I do have a vested interest in ensuring that the helmet doesn't lend people the impunity to carry out crimes with ease. Enough said!
roy_libran is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th September 2014, 18:07   #49
D4D
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaheshY1 View Post

He always came to me when he needed some motor servicing or buying advice but never took the advice that I always gave for free: Both the riders should wear helmet.

After the pillion helmet rule in Delhi, I said, "You need a rule to be implemented to follow my advice."
Well that's a sad incident. Hope she recovers soon.

Just continue giving this advice to many people, I'm sure the laws will be broken continuously. Don't give up if no one follows it.
D4D is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2014, 14:35   #50
BHPian

Next time I go chain snatching as a pillion, I will carry the helmet in hand and not wear it. Thanks BTP.
Vysakh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st October 2014, 16:33   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
Your assumption is both incorrect and irrelevant (regarding being a biker). Moreover, me and my family members have been victims of helmet wearing criminals on bikes, three times in the past, so my sympathetic attitude towards the policeman's perspective, is derived from personal experience, and not any egalitarian and elitist views of the world we live in. I do have a vested interest in ensuring that the helmet doesn't lend people the impunity to carry out crimes with ease. Enough said!
I am really sorry that someone in your family had to go through the ordeal of encountering such animals. Hope everyone is doing well and have recuperated from the incident

If I may say so, you are looking at this all wrong. All kinds of vehichles are used to commit crimes, both bikes and cars. Concealing your face takes a few seconds and a helmet is not the only way to do it. You could simply tie a kerchief or (with the onset of winters) wear a "monkey cap" type thing to cover up without looking suspicious. The issue is not bikers wearing helmets, but the inability of the cops to do their jobs

I am not opposing the cops conducting random checks to maintain vigil and be visible to the anti social elements. But the incident OP describes that follows after the policeman satisfied themselves of the riders' "authenticity" is just shocking and unpardonable. "Dont wear helmet" he says? What nerve!!!!

On my assumption being incorrect - Maybe (Judgement calls often are). Irrelevant - Hardly!!!!

It takes one to know one. Unless you ride motorcycles regularly, there is no way you can ever come to empathise with the dangers a rider (and MORE SO - the pillion) are exposed to. For the large part, junta will continue to label motorcycle riders as careless bums who are rash and basically a nuisance to other road users. I guess we can now add good for nothing criminals to this illustrious list. Is there a viable alternative that you can think of to protect one's brain from getting splattered upon impact from the road? I cant, and I bet you cant either

Just out of sheer curiosity, what is your riding experience? What is your usage pattern (regular commuting, weekend leisure rides, touring, track riding etc.)? My apologies in advance if you find my query over-inquisitive. I will not feel offended in case you decide not to respond

But if you still dont agree with what I and many others are saying, read the quote below. Repeat until necessary

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
And in other news - white collar criminals wear seatbelts

Last edited by Urban_Nomad : 1st October 2014 at 16:38.
Urban_Nomad is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st October 2014, 18:15   #52
BHPian

Now this is ridiculous and hilarious at the same time.
How can we expect policemen asking people to break the rules.
Or is there a more sinister plan in place.
Ask peole to remove their helmets and challan them on the next corner.

I think you should report this to the concerned police station.
maverick.munish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2014, 14:09   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Not really. A person would not know if his lights are on during the daytime while if they are off at night, its obvious that its intentionally off. Hence, signalling during daytime and not at night has a logic.
Agree on the logic part; my reference was more on the safety part.

To twist the Joker's words "Drive with your headlights off in the night, and no one seems to care. Switch on your headlights in the day, and everyone loses their minds."

Just today, I had a young lady riding a scooter waving fanatically to tell me that my car headlight was on. Even though she was riding the wrong side... of a one-way street!
nishsingh is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2014, 00:24   #54
BHPian

Look at this.

I don't know whether to praise or blame - is he a very caring father or just ignorant.
Attached Thumbnails
Pillion wearing helmet = Criminals on bike, say Cops-imagesipt1hn3e.jpg  

Accent Martin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2015, 00:00   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accent Martin View Post
Look at this.

I don't know whether to praise or blame - is he a very caring father or just ignorant.

Ignorant. Probably using kid as a helmet holder. Oversized helmets are good for nothing.
r.joshi is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks