Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2015, 14:03   #61
BHPian

Re: Am I the only idiot here to wait at a red light?

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
If our system does its part to ensure that each and every person applying for a driving license has acquired the knowledge about rules, good traffic behaviour, perils of not heeding safety. it will go a long way in improving our situation.
Historically, people could get around the law to acquire a driving license, there have been no stringent driving tests and checks. All this leads to a lot of ill-informed drivers/riders on our streets.
There. You are absolutely correct. People abroad have to undergo so many tests to get a license. Its a lot of effort and a task getting a license abroad. And because of that, they are aware of almost all the rules. They might have had to repeat the test another time because they overlooked some tiny rule that would probably never have made any significance in the traffic. One of my friend living abroad was told to repeat the test another time because it was her first attempt. That's it. Just like that.
Old 23rd February 2015, 14:12   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTerrano View Post
Hahaha! Sir in your experience across cities, is this red light honking menace common or is it something unique to Punekars?
Dear RedTerrano - thank you for your response. I have driven all across the country and I see this gross indiscipline everywhere. However, in Mumbai (which is my hometown) it is a little better in SOBO or "South Bombay" as they call it. I guess I happen to know why this happens:

Life is very stressed-out for everybody. The bad thing is that everybody has only made their lives stressed-out, why, I wish I knew! These acts of indiscipline are a manifestation of the no-care attitude which comes with such a lifestyle. It is for every individual to understand this and protect himself / herself from it. Even with all their good intentions, the police will be able to do little, because reprimanding is not the answer. The first thing the traffic police does is ask for the "licence", as he has the authority to do so. This needs a very detailed review and action at all levels, because the human mind by its very construction wants to be alienated to any kind of authority. Sad! .

Dear arnabchak - thank you for your comments. Patna is unique. The number plate (if at all) is only in the front. Drive a slightly dirty white Bolero there, you are emperor, no signals and no toll! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Last edited by DHABHAR.BEHRAM : 23rd February 2015 at 14:13.
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2015, 14:15   #63
BHPian

@braindead: This is a normal everyday situation on Indian roads, irrespective of where you drive.

Earlier, I used to up the stereo volume and ignore the premature births behind me. Now, I make a bit of effort to let them squeeze by without myself breaking traffic rules. I always imagine, that perhaps the person is on a mission of national importance!!

The only way we can reduce this behavior is by increasing the quantum of fines and improving enforcement.

But all the enforcement in the world will not work unless, people themselves are disciplined. This cannot happen until we catch them young. Why don't we have drivers education programs in Indian schools where kids can learn proper traffic rules and behavior at an early stage itself? Discipline can be inculcated at a later age too, by forcing repeat offenders to attend driver education classes etc.

It is then that heavy fines and proper enforcement can hope to start ensuring people do not break rules.

Till that happens, all of us will be silent recipients of frustrated constipated people.
Old 23rd February 2015, 14:40   #64
BHPian

Braindead: May I join your community of idiots? I am also one of the fools who stop for red lights (and slow down at amber).

My only solution is that we, individually and as a community, set the example and trust that, slowly, as our community grows, change sets in.

One serious point I would like to raise is that some signals in Bangalore still operate in the wee hours of the night (23:00 to 06:00). This, I have seen, is really dangerous as you may automatically not slow down at a crossing on a green light and be hit by a maniac zooming through a red light.

On a late night pickup run from the airport, I was crossing an intersection on a green light after midnight when a car zoomed past inches across the front of my car (I had braked hard at the last moment) on the crossroad with the occupants yelling at me for good measure.

I feel all traffic lights should change to the blinking orange mode in low traffic hours as this at least has the impact of warning you to slow down.
Iksvaku is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2015, 14:42   #65
Senior - BHPian

No, I am another idiot who stops and waits at the line at the red light. I've been honked at, cursed at for waiting for the signal to turn green.

But this is a rant thread isn't it? Don't we already have enough for Chennai, Bangalore, Pune ....any city in India?
naveenroy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2015, 14:58   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post
Here I am, waiting at a red light on Paud road in Pune, and each and every person starts moving when the light is still red with 15 seconds to go. The guy behind me honks and yells and I point at the signal.
On the lighter side, this happened to me too, on brigade road junction in Bangalore. Everybody around me started crawling while the light is RED and the guy behind me is honking.
I ignored them all.

Then, the unthinkable happened.

My wife tapped on my sholder and said 'our car is rolling back'

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
No, I am another idiot who stops .....
PLEASE count me in too. Never jumped a red light except for one occassion, when the cop came to me and said the red light is STUCK and he is not able to change it manually too and asked me to drive. By that time, I already waited 5 minutes.

Last edited by Eddy : 23rd February 2015 at 15:21. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!
FORTified is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2015, 15:29   #67
Senior - BHPian

This is what makes people behave:
http://www.qld.gov.au/transport/safe...#trafficlights
Failing to give way to a pedestrian when turning at an intersection with traffic lights Queensland Road Rules—Section 62(1)(a) 3 $341

No wonder Brisbane drivers are so nice compared to Delhi. There's no VALUE of good behavior.

just as the government is supposed to do with crime, it should make traffic offences so expensive that everyone starts behaving.
Old 23rd February 2015, 16:14   #68
Senior - BHPian

Looking at the amount of traffic that go by even when the signal is Red, makes me really feel I am the lone man stupid/idiot waiting at the signal. The pedestrians crossing the lane are now more wary about me than the vehicles which don't stop since they know how to dodge the unstopping traffic but are unsure why I stopped.

The classic example of vehicles running amok when they see a signal become Red is the Tatvagyan Vidyapith on the busy Ghodbunder Road. The amount of criss crossing that happens at this junction, would expect a pile up sooner than I think.
Old 23rd February 2015, 16:21   #69
Senior - BHPian

The more India harps about its sanskars, the less discipline I see in this world.
It looks like the sanskars are ONLY meant for ultra close blood relations and friends. Rest of the living creatures are enemies who need to be defeated and slayed .

Red light is just one of these instances.
alpha1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2015, 16:58   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
The more India harps about its sanskars, the less discipline I see in this world.
It looks like the sanskars are ONLY meant for ultra close blood relations and friends. Rest of the living creatures are enemies who need to be defeated and slayed .

Red light is just one of these instances.
:sly: true that. I wonder sometimes that if its a road we are driving on or a war zone.
1. Stopping at red light feels like a criminal offense when people honk. It looks like I am violating some human rights.
2. A man who has no work used to have so much work on a motorbike that he can't stop to talk, so he talk while riding.
3. Even while you have your blinker on while turning People overtake from that side. I have no doubt if something happens I will be the criminal.
4. Black films on windows are banned but goons don't care.
5. Policemen challan others even while they themselves are drunk.
6. Wearing helmet or seatbelt is for only cowards :banghead:
7. People throw wrappers from car windows on roads.

List is endless. When doing right thing feels wrong, is this apocalypse calling.
Old 23rd February 2015, 18:04   #71
BHPian

This is a common scene to all of us, be it a big town or a small village. IMO, I feel below.

WHY?

1> Lack of strict law enforcement: Would these guys dare to break a light or jump a barricade where there's huge police deployed to ensure a smooth passage for a politician's convoy? Or would they jump a light abroad? Fear for own damage is the only reason they'd follow rules in that scenario.
2> Herd mentality: This applies in both cases, following as well as breaking rules.

HOW TO FIX?

1> Law enforcement has to be strict in creating & implementing rules at all levels. By all levels I mean, don't just make the traffic police go crazy over law breakers but imply & implement it at the DL issuance level too. Even the punishments/penalties should be raised.
2> Infrastructure has compliment the laws. An example for this would be where the Yellow light is missing at the signal. So Green goes off, & then there are no lights at all & all of a sudden Red comes on.

The root of this problem would actually lead the topic of Govt & corruption but that's a whole new debate all together.

The situation that we're in right now demands for drastic changes. Unless the stakes are high, you'll never be at par with the law breakers.
Old 23rd February 2015, 19:30   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

As much as we'd like to self-flagellate and blame our "Indianness" on this phenomenon, the truth is it's human nature. And some basic economics.

Here's the deal: human beings respond to incentives. If not, Stephen Levitt wouldn't have made millions out of Freakonomics. And trust me- there are hardly any incentives for good driving behaviour in this country.

* Stop for a pedestrian? Get honked at and abused.
* Cut across to the wrong side to avoid a U-turn? The cops clear a way for you (ask any Punekar- this is since they don't want additional hassles manning the U-turn as well)
* Considerately dim your lights at night as another car approaches? Nada. Zilch. The high-beams stay trained squarely at your eyes, as if mocking you for your stupidity.
* Stop when an accident happens? Get beaten up by an angry mob. It's not your fault- you just stopped to help? What are you crazy? Go home Mother Teresa.

Stop at a red light when there are no other cars doing the same? This prompts all kinds of reactions from gentle derision from other occupants in the vehicle to indifference from the cop who waves you on anyway to utter contempt and road rage from those behind you whose important skedule you've interrupted by stopping right in their path (the nerve!)

Be smart. Drive on. The guys with the green light are watching out nervously anyway.
noopster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2015, 20:42   #73
BHPian

You are not the only one getting honked for stopping at the red light. It is just the way of life here in India. Breaking rules is a norm. I was shocked and surprised to see a 50- 55 year old man racing past a red light at 8 am in the morning at the baner aundh signal - shameless.

it is only when someone from the family of rulebreaker dies due to a freak accident caused by someone breaking the rules - they realize that one should not break signals and follow rules till then it is sab chalta hai. problem is the cops are least bothered, actually they want folks to break rules so they can make more money.it is a big scam. Driving sense will never change in India cause they feel - driving is their Godamm right not a privilege.
Old 23rd February 2015, 20:46   #74
BHPian

Now, lets take this scenario, Early morning 3AM I am driving through Old Madras Road, Bangalore. Sparse traffic, and I arrive at a signal. The signal instead of flashing amber is on 'Red' with a timer counting down from 180 seconds. I stopped at first, then I had to move on to avoid being rear ended. Now, I follow rules as much as I can, but waiting for 180 seconds in a deserted junction at 3AM because of a faulty signal did not feel sensible. This isnt an one off incident, regularly I see many signals in Bangalore operating with Timer after 12AM. If people are supposed to follow rules the rules should be proper in the first place. In India where few rules itself are questionable, wonder where we would start the fixing!
Old 23rd February 2015, 20:48   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan1180 View Post
The topic of discussion is quite interesting.
I have often faced this in Kolkata. I'm standing at a signal (unmanned) waiting for the light to turn green. A large and bus with all sorts of battle scars (including torn metal at the sides) comes up behind me and starts honking.
In Kolkata, where road to city ratio is quite low, traffic has always been very chaotic. But jumping red lights was never a problem until some years ago. The share autos (yes we are the share auto capital of the world!) rule the road here - Most of them jump signals even when cops man the signals. Driving on the wrong lane to pass the traffic is another menace and I can go on....but that would just be stretching my pointless rant....

And NO vehicle stops at the STOP line here and stopping there can be quite a hazard. And yes it does feel like an idiot to stop there especially since I received 7 tickets for jumping a signal

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks