Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2015, 16:47   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Dream Road Trip: Where & in which Car?

India - Thailand first, India to UK and then ultimately UK to Vladivostok.

For all of this, a Toyota Fortuner if I have one by then or the Swift Diesel that I currently own. Will remove the rear seats, make a nice luggage bay, get the suspension raised and strengthened, a sump guard fixed, a light bar fixed on the roof, get ribbed tyres procured and voila.
humyum is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2015, 21:01   #17
J.Ravi

Outside India, I enjoyed driving a Honda Odyssey from Kuala Lumpur to Singapore in July 2009. But, I don't have any photos as we drove in the night.

I enjoyed being a passenger on the Great Ocean Road drive in July 2009 as my son-in-law drove the rented 7-seater. I searched the archives and got the following few pics:

Dream Road Trip: Where & in which Car?-gord6.jpg

Dream Road Trip: Where & in which Car?-gord1.jpg

Dream Road Trip: Where & in which Car?-gord2.jpg

Dream Road Trip: Where & in which Car?-gord3.jpg

Dream Road Trip: Where & in which Car?-gord5.jpg
  (3) Thanks
Old 30th March 2015, 10:32   #18
Senior - BHPian

My dream road trip would be:
1) Bangalore - Ladakh - Bangalore in a Padmini/118NE. Don't know if I would be able to do it as it requires lot of time and money. Being in IT industry, freedom for time isn't easy
2) A very long Bangalore - Ladakh (including cliff hanger road and many other regions) - Bangalore, under a bit extreme weather conditions with any of my main stream hatch/sedan of present time(Linea presently).

For a roadie, driving to Ladakh is a very basic dream. I feel accomplished on that part as I have driven twice. Once in a Ford Endeavour 4X4 with 7 pax on board and very recently in my Fiat Linea along with DBHPian Parag Sachania. This is was a super quick drive. 8000kms in 250 hours and first leg of our journey being 3035kms in 52 hours, Bangalore all the way up to Manali.

My dream road trip outside of India would be:
1) Yungas road, Bolivia in any appropriate car. I am not a person who is keen to travel abroad just for a road trip. But, if I happen to go out of India just for a road trip, this is the one.

Last edited by funkykar : 30th March 2015 at 10:34.
funkykar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2015, 11:21   #19
Senior - BHPian

My dream road trips:

Manali - Leh in a Fortuner. Only a beast can tame the mountains!

Delhi - Goa. In my Civic. This dream is going to be fulfilled this December.
Old 31st March 2015, 12:07   #20
Team-BHP Support

I have done a few "dream trips". Most of them in very average cars though.
Lets start
California big Sur highway. Its made for a fast powerful car. However, when you have a Jeep liberty, you leave the tarmac for the "Old road" which is a dirt track higher up, running parallel to the main road. No traffic, dirt track, traction control flickering.... Motoring Nirvana
Dream Road Trip: Where & in which Car?-img_5788xl.jpg

Yosemite : A steep climb up the Old Priest Grade is one of the lesser known adventures. In a Mustang, its motoring Nirvana!
Dream Road Trip: Where & in which Car?-ibmjhwt8x2.jpg

Passo Dello Stelvio. The name is enough. However, the car was a Citreon Picasso C3. So we could only enjoy the downhills.
Dream Road Trip: Where & in which Car?-dsc_1292x2.jpg

Dream Road Trip: Where & in which Car?-dsc_1304x2.jpg

Susten Pass: Lesser known, but no less fun.
Dream Road Trip: Where & in which Car?-dsc_2432_lrxl.jpg

Grimsel Pass : Connecting South and central Switzerland, it has a 80kmph limit. Woohoooo

And last but not the least, the Autobahn. Where 162 feels like you are standing still, as powerful machines pass you in the blink of an eye
Dream Road Trip: Where & in which Car?-dsc_2543_lrxl.jpg

Moving up north... There are the mountain roads of Scandinavia. Pure motoring Bliss.
Dream Road Trip: Where & in which Car?-dsc_dsc01086_lrxl.jpg

And the machine, a very capable Mini Cooper D
Dream Road Trip: Where & in which Car?-dsc_dsc_3057_lrxl.jpg

Beyond the Arctic circle, the Ice roads of Kilpisjaarvi
Dream Road Trip: Where & in which Car?-d70004786xl.jpg

Dream Road Trip: Where & in which Car?-nex5n01574xl.jpg

Back to our own country, the most treacherous road in the world is worth a mention

AND last but not the least. Iceland!
how often can you drive next to an active volcano?
Dream Road Trip: Where & in which Car?-a7_01058_lrx2.jpg

And witness Such snowflields!
Dream Road Trip: Where & in which Car?-a7_02725_lrx2.jpg

Last edited by tsk1979 : 31st March 2015 at 12:11.
tsk1979 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 31st March 2015, 22:22   #21

Did Dubai - Salalah - Dubai. In 2003. Did it quite impromptu actually with my trusted navigator (wifey). Since it was impromptu (read - decided in the night that we are driving in the morning) we weren't kinda ready for such a trip. The only warning from old Dubai friends was that sometimes you wont find the road as the shamals (desert winds) can easily spread sand from the Great Arabian Desert on the roads. Armed with my trusty LR Disco have being a bit of an off road guy, I had all the tools i might need should I get into a sticky situation. Post getting into Oman, topped off my fuel to the brim and filled up 2 X 20 litters jerry cans with petrol, 4 crates of water, biscuits and other stuff. Thankfully had a lovely ride all through 1300kms. Midway, we realised, we hadn't booked hotels for us!!! Post reaching Salalah, followed the Holiday Inn sign, we looked bored at incredulous face of the front office staff asking us 'Sir, You drove all the way from Dubai to Salalah without a hotel booking?" My wife politely told that we are generally used to pitching tents on the beach, so we are not bothered". Had a lovely stay. Nice property. Enjoyed speaking Malayalam to all the mullu folk folks.
Old 2nd April 2015, 18:07   #22
BHPian

I just want to drive home (south Bangalore) from CBD without any traffic...say on a curfew day! Seriously, sometimes what you want to do as a dream road trip boils down to this :-).
bsdbsd is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th April 2015, 08:10   #23
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Dreams:
The Atlantic Highway in Scandinavia - Blasting down it in an Aston Martin Vanquish.
The Stelvio Pass in Italy - Roaring along in an open top Alfa Romeo from the 1950's-1960's or even in a Mini Cooper S convertible.
The Transfargarsan Highway in Romania - Roaring along in a Ferrari 288 GTO or a Lamborghini Miura or an Alfa 8C or Lancia Fulvia HF or similar...

Done and Dusted:
So far Ive only managed some trips like the Scenic Coastal Route in Northern Ireland in a Fiat 500, the Great Ocean road in Australia in an Audi, some wonderful stretches near the Blue Mountains and Hunter Valley in NSW in another Audi, general trips along the A and B Roads in England in a succession of standard cars, except once with a friend in his Porsche and once in a Mini.
America's big wide Freeways and Toll Roads are ruler straight and the speed limits too arent all that great but I ve only experienced these in standard American cars, nothing too fancy.
Old 8th April 2015, 00:27   #24
BHPian

Drove to Jabal Hafeet from Dubai last month in a 911 4S.

I have been wanting to drive there since 2007 - then I left Dubai, for past year i have been waiting to lay my hands on a decent car to drive there & when i got a 911 over the weekend, finally did it.
Attached Thumbnails
Dream Road Trip: Where & in which Car?-11234.jpg  

Dream Road Trip: Where & in which Car?-11234567.jpg  

Dream Road Trip: Where & in which Car?-112345.jpg  

Dream Road Trip: Where & in which Car?-1123456789.jpg  

Skyline GT-R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2015, 07:25   #25
J.Ravi

Zuluk Zigzag Road, East Sikkim

On 9 April 2015, I drove on the Zuluk zigzag road on the Old Silk Route in East Sikkim, and for the first time, I did some snow-driving, which was very adventurous.

Dream Road Trip: Where & in which Car?-zuluzigzag.jpg

Dream Road Trip: Where & in which Car?-thambi-view-point.jpg

Last edited by J.Ravi : 11th April 2015 at 07:37.
  (5) Thanks
Old 17th April 2015, 12:27   #26
BHPian

My dream route is from Kanyakumari - Alappuzha - Western Ghats - Goa - Jodhpur - Amritsar(Wagah) - Srinagar-Leh - Shimla - Agra-Nagpur-Hyderabad-Home . I would prefer Jeep Wrangler or Mahindra Thar for the ride. If the gang gets bigger than 2, a Fortuner will be my alternative. I guess a month's leave would be good to complete this trip. Keeping my fingers crossed.

There are several spelling & grammatical errors in your posts. This negatively affects the forum experience for other readers.

Kindly ensure that you proof-read your posts prior to submission. Also, it would be a good idea to use spell-checkers.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 20th April 2015 at 07:36.
Old 17th April 2015, 16:02   #27
Senior - BHPian

My dream ride happened very recently, on my 10-year old CI Bullet, solo, leaving family behind, thumping down NH-4 at close to three digits, vibrating, feeling young and free, to IBW 2015, Goa. This lead to the itch of upgrade and have booked a Harley...

-BJ

Last edited by bj96 : 17th April 2015 at 16:20. Reason: typo
Old 20th April 2015, 09:52   #28
J.Ravi

Driving my XUV 500 on the icy Sela Pass, Arunachal Pradesh on my way to Tawang on 13 April 2015 will remain evergreen - or everwhite - in my memory.

(3) Thanks
Old 28th May 2015, 00:50   #29

Bikaner to Jaisalmer in Tata Safari was nostalgic of my Saudi days.
Come to think of it, the Hafar-al-Batin to Dammam road in Eastern Province of Saudi Arabia back in 1983 to 1989 is still memorable. Must have traveled on it dozens of times in Mercedes E230.
Old 15th July 2015, 09:58   #30
BHPian

I would love to rip my Cruze on Lamayuru - Leh stretch, and right now, its just a dream.

The other - driving to seven sister states (NE) from Pune, car agnostic

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks