Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2016, 18:33   #61
Team-BHP Support

Re: Ladakh Taxi Mafia now wants to completely ban outside vehicles (including private cars)

Ok, so just to understand this better, are we saying that the private cars can go to Laddakh without worries? The subject line of this thread suggests otherwise!
Old 3rd June 2016, 15:37   #62
BHPian

Re: Ladakh Taxi Mafia now wants to completely ban outside vehicles (including private cars)

Hello Everyone,

I will also like to get some clarity on this one.

Could someone who has just taken a trip be able to reply and give some firsthand information about the situation on being able to take our own cars ?

I will have my family with me and don't want to take a chance if in case it means I'm putting them in harms way.

Any help will be appreciated.
Old 10th June 2016, 12:35   #63
BHPian

Just came across an article 5 cyclists from Pune plan to cycle to Kardung La. Looking at the situation, guess this will be the only option left

Quote:
Pune: Five cyclists from Pune will ride from here to the top of Khardung La pass, in Ladakh, to promote the use of cycles and non-motorised transport.

The five cyclists are 55-year-old Ulhas Joshi and his wife Gayatri Joshi, IT professional Sunil Chatekar, interior designer Arjun Doshi and Udayan Walvekar who is a student and a budding cyclist. They will start on Thursday. They will cycle from Pune to Chandigarh, covering about 1,900km, in eight days, which is nearly 200km every day. They will cycle via Mumbai, Ahmedabad, Jaipur and Chandigarh. From there, they will reach Manali, where they will halt for two days.

They will continue to Leh, the most difficult terrain with six mountain passes, all above 14,500ft above sea-level. Before reaching there, they will cycle up Tang Lang La pass, which is at 17,500ft. On the last day, they will cycle from Leh (10,500ft above sea level) to the top of Khardung La pass (18,380ft above sea-level).

All members have achieved the feat of cycling up Khardung La pass at least once. Ulhas Joshi and Gayatri Joshi have cycled up seven times, while Chatekar has cycled up KTop four times. Arjun and Udayan, too, have cycled up once before. This expedition is special to Ulhas though, as it will mark his decade long stint of cycling in the Himlalayan mountains. He said they had received help from various people to deal with logistics and other issues.

Five cyclists from Pune has planned 2700-km long cycle ride from Pune to the top of Khardung La Pass. The expedition will leave on Thursday to promote use of cycles and non-motorised transport. The members include 55-year old Ulhas Joshi, his wife Gayatri Joshi who is also a cyclist, IT professional Sunil Chatekar, interior designer Arjun Doshi and Udayan Walvekar who is a student and a budding cyclist. Joshi has been part of various cycling expeditions in Himalyas for last 10 years. The expedition will mark his decade long straight of cycling in Himlalayan mountains.

The team will be cycling from Pune to Chandigarh, covering the distance of about 1900km in 8 days covering nearly 200km every day. They will travel via Mumbai , Ahmedabad, Jaipur, Chandigarh. From there the team will reach Manali where they will take a halt for 2 days.
The further cycling will continue to Leh on the most difficult terrain with 6 difficult mountain passes all above 14,500 ft above sea level. Before reaching Leh, they will cycle up Tang Lang La pass which at 17,500ft. On the last day, they will cycle from Leh (10500ft above Sea Level) to the top of Khardung La pass (18,380ft above sea level).

All members have achieved the feat of cycling up Khardung La pass at least once in the past. Ulhas Joshi and Gayatri Joshi have cycled up the pass 7 times, while Chatekar has cycled up the KTop 4 times Arjun and Udayan have cycled up Khardung La once. Joshi said that the expedition has received help and support from various people to deal with logistics and other issues.
Source

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 11th June 2016 at 09:35. Reason: Breaking the post into paragraphs for better readability. Thanks!
Old 12th July 2016, 13:58   #64
BHPian

All

The english is a bit confusing!

As of date - are private vehicles allowed IN and AROUND Leh.

Please reply clearly.

Thank you.
Old 12th July 2016, 14:07   #65
BHPian

Just returned last week from Leh, both In and AROUND (Ladakh)

Though we used taxis ( from Srinagar), we saw quite a few private venicles on our way from Srinagar-Leh; Leh-Nubra-Pangong-Leh, and in and around Leh.
There are separate Taxi unions on sectors, and our drivers had to get an NOC (of sorts) from the Union. It consists of a slip of paper, like a ticket, costing Rs 100/-; though i suspect the real cost would have been higher. This allowed our taxis (with Srinagar) number plates to travel freely. On check posts, where a Union representative is found, this slip comes in handy.
As far as private cars are concerned, my (second hand) understanding is that once you get a permit for certain areas from the government, you may also need to get this slip from the Union so as to be worry free - Though as i have pointed out, this information may not be true. This may be applicable to some sectors only.
earthian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2016, 14:40   #66
BHPian

Will this proposed ban apply to bikes too? I mean how much ecological damage can a couple of bikes do? Doesnt make sense. And while i agree, tons of tourists (especially from Delhi/NCR) are complete bullheaded and insensitive idiots, banning ALL private vehicles is a bit too extreme. And is there any official word on this? I guess not. This ban can only be effective if the Govt. mandates it.

I plan to go there next year on bike

Last edited by naturaldisaster : 12th July 2016 at 14:48. Reason: wrong context
Old 12th July 2016, 16:36   #67
NPX
BHPian

My friend came back from leh trip in last week of june. They were 6 friends on the trip with 3 bullets rented from Delhi and my friend had his own. They took Srinagar-Leh-Manali route.

I asked him about this mafia situation in or around Leh and he said they did not notice or face this type of situation anywhere in Ladakh region.
Old 14th July 2016, 10:34   #68
BHPian

Hello Bhpians. I did Kerala - Srinagar - Leh - Nubra - Pangong - Leh - Manali - Kerala circuit last month in my private vehicle (Maharashtra registered). I did not face any problem whatsoever by any taxi union or other people. I had to pay an entry ticket for the vehicle few kms before Pangong, while going towards Sarchu from Leh.

So people interested to take personal vehicles can drive without any mental tension :-)

Hope this information helps people who are planning for the road trip.
Ani0404 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th July 2016, 13:46   #69
BHPian

I did a kerala - Leh last month in my kerala registerd XUV.There was a taxi union checkpost at beginning of khardungla pass and they verify if the registered owner is in the vehicle. There is a dedicated check post itself for this.They are well behaved guys.I came to know from them they dont allow rental self drives.
S5157 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2016, 20:25   #70
BHPian

Hey all
I came back from my del-manali-leh-manali-del trip on 16th July.
I did the trip in my own delhi registered xuv and didn't find any issue whatsoever. Also saw many delhi and other states registered vehicles.
Also there were many self drive rented cars from delhi on my way to nubra valley and pangong. Didn't notice any issue.
Honda Monk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2016, 21:42   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda Monk View Post
Hey all
I came back from my del-manali-leh-manali-del trip on 16th July.
I did the trip in my own delhi registered xuv and didn't find any issue whatsoever. Also saw many delhi and other states registered vehicles.
Also there were many self drive rented cars from delhi on my way to nubra valley and pangong. Didn't notice any issue.
Thanks Honda Monk. it clarified a lot of doubts. i will be in same boat come september. planning for Leh trip with my friends in DL regiestered XUV. was wary of situation towards Ktop. will trouble you with some details later. first let me share this good news with my friends
Old 10th August 2016, 16:23   #72
BHPian

Hi All,
I am planning to take a friends Scorpio to Ladakh again. Unfortunately, my friend would not be travelling with us as his leave was not approved. However he was kind enough to loan his car for our trip considering our passion. I want to understand if I would face any issue due to this ban? I want to be very sure as I would be starting the drive on September 1st from Hyderabad and I would be traveling with the family with another friend. The Scorpio is a private vehicle on the name of the friend.
My concern is that the other alternative that I have which is a ritz does not have enough space for 4 people for 18 days.

I really appreciate any advice on this.
Old 11th August 2016, 12:04   #73
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by himavanth_m View Post
Hi All,
I am planning to take a friends Scorpio to Ladakh again. Unfortunately, my friend would not be travelling with us as his leave was not approved. However he was kind enough to loan his car for our trip considering our passion. I want to understand if I would face any issue due to this ban? I want to be very sure as I would be starting the drive on September 1st from Hyderabad and I would be traveling with the family with another friend. The Scorpio is a private vehicle on the name of the friend.
My concern is that the other alternative that I have which is a ritz does not have enough space for 4 people for 18 days.

I really appreciate any advice on this.
Its hard to give informed advice to the query. The only fact which is known is that taxi guys are checking RC of cars. Once they see a different name, what will they do? Well its anybodies guess.
It may depend upon your luck. Honda monk can confirm if they check RC?
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2016, 18:51   #74
Senior - BHPian

So, from what i believe, You are allowed to go up to Leh in any vehicle, be it a self drive like Zoomcar or your own private vehicle.

Now for going to local attractions like Nubra, Pangong, what is the status quo for :

a: Self drive cars like Zoomcar etc
b: Private vehicles

Any Team Bhpian who travelled this year to Ladakh, it would be great if you could share your experience.
Old 15th September 2016, 08:40   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
So, from what i believe, You are allowed to go up to Leh in any vehicle, be it a self drive like Zoomcar or your own private vehicle.

Now for going to local attractions like Nubra, Pangong, what is the status quo for :

a: Self drive cars like Zoomcar etc
b: Private vehicles

Any Team Bhpian who travelled this year to Ladakh, it would be great if you could share your experience.
You are absolutely correct coolkurt. Taking your own private vehicle till Leh and other attractions in and around Leh is not at all a problem. Self drive cars can be taken only for reaching Leh. From Leh onwards, one needs to take a JK registered taxi or rent local bikes.

I will share my experience. We had hired a Zoomcar Scorpio from Delhi and our plan was to reach Leh by it and use local registered bikes or a taxi for Nubra valley and Pangong. But we used the Zoomcar for local sightseeing in Leh. At Thiksey when we parked our car, a local taxi guy first gave very suspicious looks to me and soon he came with 4 local drivers. One of them said that outside J&K vehicles apart from private ones are not allowed anywhere in Leh. I said that my Hotel owner has said it is ok to take a Zoomcar within Leh. To this he said that the information we got was wrong. So instead of getting into a debate, I immediately offered to park the car at the Hotel and visit other spots by a local taxi. Hearing this they also agreed and didn't do any harm to the vehicle. During all this, they were well behaved and I almost had a sympathy towards them since they get only 3-4 months for doing their business.
RoadSurfer is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks