Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2015, 08:07   #46
BHPian

re: Rash driving case fabricated against me by Pune Police & RTO *UPDATE: declared Not Guilty!*

I frequent this road as I live in Dange chowk and never ever felt that Rakshak chowk could become a "Bhakshak chowk". It's sort of sad reading this. When we're following the rules and abiding by the rules why are we targeted?
If it was some local villager's Audi, they would've never even looked in that direction. Is it possible that the constable at the previous junction saw an educated gentleman and lady in an Audi at the signal and alerted the next signal that they can be fleeced.

I would've been helpless and trembling in this situation and yes, the way the events unfolded it's hard to believe this could happen. Not sterotyping, but I always thought Maharastrians are not subjected to such things by local police. Looks like nothing comes in between money, ego and the cop.

There are good cops, but it looks they're overshadowed by the dishonest ones. I appreciate you for being brave.
rav11stars is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2015, 09:26   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rav11stars View Post
I frequent this road as I live in Dange chowk and never ever felt that Rakshak chowk could become a "Bhakshak chowk". It's sort of sad reading this. When we're following the rules and abiding by the rules why are we targeted?
If it was some local villager's Audi, they would've never even looked in that direction. Is it possible that the constable at the previous junction saw an educated gentleman and lady in an Audi at the signal and alerted the next signal that they can be fleeced.

I would've been helpless and trembling in this situation and yes, the way the events unfolded it's hard to believe this could happen. Not sterotyping, but I always thought Maharastrians are not subjected to such things by local police. Looks like nothing comes in between money, ego and the cop.

There are good cops, but it looks they're overshadowed by the dishonest ones. I appreciate you for being brave.

Thanks a lot bro, but like someone here said, it's just a combination of karma and bad luck. Anyways. Please get a dash cam. You're going to need it in Pune.

I should have wore a white kurta, with dark glasses, 10-12 gold chains and rings, and written NANA or DADA on my car. No one would have stopped me then. Lol. This is how it is. We have to face it. Can't run away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssambyal1980 View Post
The main reason for such harassment is the huge difference in the percentage of road tax levied during registration of the vehicles in Karnataka, Andhra and Telangana as compared to other states. The road tax levied in the above said states is the highest.

This will immensely help in curbing rampant corruption prevailing in the RTOs across the nation and would also give a big relief to the motorists facing harassment at the hands of traffic authorities of other states. Sincerely hope that something concrete is done by the government on this matter at the earliest.

I too agree with you. There should be one central department for all the vehicle crap. It's just a mess.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 26th August 2015 at 14:59. Reason: Please avoid quoting the entire post as it may inconvenience small-screen \ mobile users. Thanks
stuntfreak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th August 2015, 11:25   #48
BHPian

re: Rash driving case fabricated against me by Pune Police & RTO *UPDATE: declared Not Guilty!*

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.t.k View Post
If taken to court with a good lawyer, cant the courts demand the CCTV footage from the 2 intersections ? Else what safeguards do we have against such false cases ? Not everyone would be aware of the dash cams. The trend/ value of this dash cam is only catching up even in this forum.
I would have to dissuade anyone from attempting this.
The corrupt have ample time, funds and power to subvert the system. I expect they'll come back with good excuses - "CCTV is out of order because of lack of funds to maintain them" The CCTV will work when it suits them not the other way around.

I've had this happen to me when I registered for a second LPG cylinder, the request suddenly disappeared from the system - some strong words and a screenshot of the final registration screen got me through.

I've also a received ticket for riding without a helmet, which I never do - you'll never get through to the concerned person to explain or contest the ticket.

Like many others have also stated above - there are no safeguards, beware. This is India, CSI (or CBI) does not exist to serve the public.
mvadg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th August 2015, 11:35   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
I would have to dissuade anyone from attempting this.
The corrupt have ample time, funds and power to subvert the system. I expect they'll come back with good excuses - "CCTV is out of order because of lack of funds to maintain them" The CCTV will work when it suits them not the other way around.

I've had this happen to me when I registered for a second LPG cylinder, the request suddenly disappeared from the system - some strong words and a screenshot of the final registration screen got me through.

I've also a received ticket for riding without a helmet, which I never do - you'll never get through to the concerned person to explain or contest the ticket.

Like many others have also stated above - there are no safeguards, beware. This is India, CSI (or CBI) does not exist to serve the public.

You're right. Unfortunately in India, you either have to be highly resourceful and with full of contacts to fight against something wrong, or just let it go. Accept facts, and live with it.

As for me, I have not driven on roads since that day. I have planned to use uber within the city and drive on highways only unless required.

I'm planning to shift to Goa in the future. Any Goans here to comment on the situation in Goa?
Old 26th August 2015, 11:49   #50
Senior - BHPian

What makes me surprised at the whole incident is that:
1. How is it that a person owns Audi and does not have "high contacts". I don't know stuntfreak how you take this, but I was under an impression that the high and mighty are called that for a particular reason. The law is applicable only for the masses.

2. The police in our country have tremendous powers (and being made even more powerful by the gullible idiot public supporting TADA kind of laws). I am surprised to see the naive reactions of people on this thread. Looks like they have never encountered the great legal system of the democratic republic of India. The first hurdle is the police, and the second hurdle is the courts.

Last edited by alpha1 : 26th August 2015 at 11:52.
alpha1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th August 2015, 12:36   #51
BHPian

The citizen seemingly has little recourse in cases like this and the easiest way out probably is to just pay the bribe demanded and be done with it. I have paid bribes to the traffic police multiple times, even when I was not sure whether I had violated any rules, just to avoid the hassle of taking time off work to go and appear in a court of law.

However, more recently, I have noticed that traffic police departments in many cities have come up with social media presence. Perhaps it would be a good idea to try and shame them in such a forum to force them to act against corrupt officials, especially if there is proof such as CCTV footage.
Old 26th August 2015, 13:45   #52
BHPian

The contention which many of the BHPians have put in the discussions so far, that most of the time they have to bribe the traffic cops in order to avoid hassles of taking out time to appear in the court of law, cannot be ignored. In today's tight work schedule lifestyle, time is the luxury which motorists don't have and this very weakness is exploited to the hilt by unscrupulous cops.

The only solution to this problem is changing the way fines are levied, i.e instead of the current procedure wherein the motorist's documents are confiscated at the spot, which he/she gets back after paying fine at the courts, a new rule should be enforced wherein the fine is levied at the very spot where violation has occurred and no documents are seized.

This way the traffic cops won't be able to harass the motorists by coercing them by threatening that "either settle the issue now itself (read as pay bribe) or else surrender your documents and appear before court to get it released". This will also ensure that only genuine offenders will be fined, as traffic cops won't be able to pocket anything from the proceeds, which will ultimately desist them from unnecessarily harassing the law abiding citizens. The current method of fining traffic violations is nothing less than a 'Draconian' law to harass innocent and law abiding citizens, whereas the real traffic offenders with high up links always cock a snook at the law.

Last edited by ssambyal1980 : 26th August 2015 at 13:51.
ssambyal1980 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th August 2015, 15:13   #53
BHPian

Quote:
a new rule should be enforced wherein the fine is levied at the very spot where violation has occurred and no documents are seized.
It is so in Chandigarh. All the outstation motorists are challaned and fines are collected on the spot. But there is a catch. As you are not aware of how much amount the particular traffic violation you made attracts, the cops will scare you enough to make you shell whatever amount they want from you. They will find faults and will keep on multiplying the amount, in the end you will crumble to the pressure and pay them the amount they asked for.
jeepster_chd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th August 2015, 15:26   #54
BHPian

Talking of Chandigarh, we had a very funny incident. In 2007 i purchased a Maruti 800 for my dad from Chandigarh, got it registered and since he was in Dehradun, left it with him. His drive is approx 200 kms a month and most of the time with a driver.
The car is in Dehradun since then only mostly parked and used very less.
One day in Mar 2012 suddenly i get frantic calls from my in laws in Chandgarh as they received a ticket for red light jumping for the car with my dad. I was amazed. Car is in Dehradun garage and ticket for red light jumping in Sector 22 Chandigarh.
Then i realized it is Mar and they must be meeting the target for yearly collection.
Now since my father and in laws both are old, we decided against fighting it and just sent someone to deposit the Rs 300 fine and forget it as a bad joke.
Some things are better left as they are
nkghai is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th August 2015, 19:33   #55
Oxy
BHPian

Very unfortunate incident. My blood boils reading this.

To all those who are advocating paying the bribe and moving on, a question for them.

What if the bribe is a large amount? Like a gentleman posted him being asked for Rs.10,000 in Andhra when he was travelling from Chandigarh?

I have recently booked a property and during some random search on the net, came to know bribes to the tune of Rs.50,000 being demanded at the sub registrar's office for registering your own property in your name.

Would you quietly pay that off and forget about it too?
Oxy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2015, 21:35   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster_chd View Post
It is so in Chandigarh. All the outstation motorists are challaned and fines are collected on the spot. But there is a catch.
Thanking for sharing the info, was not aware of this development. Nonetheless the whole traffic violation fining procedure depends upon the morality of the traffic cops, as you have very well remarked that they can manipulate the things to meet their ends by confusing and coercing the motorists.
Old 27th August 2015, 00:09   #57
BHPian

Dear stuntfreak,

My 2 cents:

http://www.wiaaindia.com/home

Western India Automobile Association is in Pune, get a membership and try to speak to those guys of your case. Mr Nitin Dossa is the Top person there.

For appeal to RTO cases http://mahatranscom.in/appeal.aspx

Indian system works but it takes time.

'' Satya pareshan ho sakta hai, parajeet nahi '' .
Truth might get humiliated, but it cannot be defeated.
ritz3645 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th August 2015, 11:36   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
I have recently booked a property and during some random search on the net, came to know bribes to the tune of Rs.50,000 being demanded at the sub registrar's office for registering your own property in your name.

Would you quietly pay that off and forget about it too?
Actually yes you would if asked for.
Wait till the D-Day arrives.

Please note that corruption/bribes/kickbacks is a manifestation of a form of monopolistic behavior.
Will you go to Police to register a case against Police?
Ever tried doing it?

There is only one way to stem such behaviors - Top down. Unfortunately, our great democratic republic (and its citizens) have other important agendas to cover before we get to this.
Old 27th August 2015, 15:02   #59
BHPian

Quote:
[b] Does anyone has experienced this?
I am from chennai currently reside in hyderabad , everytime i take my car to chennai i have to face the cops most of them let you go after being shown Toll receipts ,however on couple of occassions had been detained for 1/2 hr to 2 hr for arguing this inspite of being me fluent in local language imagine the plight of people who cannot converse in Tamil and local cops dont speak hindi aswell. Everytime had to take help from some connection or the other lucky my close friends dad is a SI and it helps many a times .

Cops across states look for easy target to extract money , i have been challaned once for not getting down from the bike while speaking to SI , so much for their inflated ego
rm_arjuna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2015, 10:26   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm_arjuna View Post
Imagine the plight of people who cannot converse in Tamil and local cops don't speak hindi as well...
Exactly, language barrier is the another problem which one faces in such a scenario as you have very well remarked. I too experienced the same issue while in Hyderabad as I know only two languages English and Hindi, the cops didn't know Hindi and their English language understanding was also not quite upto mark. So I had a real tough time while putting across my side of story. Amongst themselves they were conversing in Telugu, which further raised my anxiety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm_arjuna View Post
Cops across states look for easy target to extract money...
Whenever they spot a vehicle from outstation, they waste no time in signalling it to stop. Even after having all the documents in person, the motorist is subjected to harassment on flimsy grounds. This reminds me of my friend's experience, he is from Hyderabad, while driving through Amravati in Maharashtra was stopped by traffic cops. After checking all the documents and finding them to be in order, the cop politely said to my friend "Sir its morning time, so please pay something for 'chai pani' (tea & snacks). It was so hilarious.
The only solution to these problems is to do away with the RTOs, instead a central government authority should be established which maintains the record of all the vehicles in the country.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks