Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2006, 08:31   #1
Senior - BHPian

Narrowly missed a head on today

Hey guys ,

As usual i was heading to office on 1 am today. i took the NH8 to gurgaon, soon after crossing the delhi border i was moving parallel to a truck with me in the right side fastest lane and there was a zen at arround 10 M ahead of me suddenly i see the zen taking a voilent left turn and i was in fron of an idiot cabbie driving a trevera at about 40 in the opposite direction, i was at 60 i almost got any time to react and there was another cabbie in sumo tailgating me if i would have hit the breaks the cabbie behind me would have banged my car so i also took a voilent left for getting the fact that i had a truck on the other side. the truck driver realised this and he slowed down (i was lucky) and i survived . After this incedent my hands were shivering. its high time that these guys needs to be taught a lesson. i also use company transport and if my cab driver does any thing i simply ask him to stop the cab and i call up the transport dept and ask them to send a different cab. (i am quite notorious with this in the company) and they simply avoid these things when i am in the cab. So guys take a oath that if you see any thing of such sort just take their happiness off.

Last edited by Aditya : 13th September 2006 at 20:37.
Old 6th September 2006, 10:12   #2
Senior - BHPian

Glad to hear that you managed to avoid a nasty accident...take care, there is no dearth of these lunatics & idiots on the road.
Old 6th September 2006, 10:19   #3
Team-BHP Support

I have noticed that after crossing the delhi border, wether its faridabad/Gurgaon or Noida the nature of the traffic changes from mildly chaotic to psychotically suicidal
Old 6th September 2006, 14:46   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar
i also use company transport and if my cab driver does any thing i simply ask him to stop the cab and i call up the transport dept and ask them to send a different cab.
I think I am gonna do the same whenever I use the company transport, I will try to motivate others too!
Old 6th September 2006, 16:01   #5
BHPian

Good Luck saved you buddy! Just to avoid a small distance, to take a 'U' turn, these people prefer driving in the wrong direction. I cant understand why the bloody hell they do that . A few weeks ago, co-incidently, I was on NH8 between Gujarat & Mumbai when I saw a d**k-head trucker driving in the opposite direction that too in the right lane (my right) at quite a speed without any kind of signal or flasher. I was like 90+ & when I saw him, I just moved behind another truck on my left. Felt like abusing loudly....but it would all fall on deaf ears.....literally.
With such pathetic road manners by these illiterate asses, innocent people lose lives like dogs on our hi-ways.

Drive Safe!!!
Old 6th September 2006, 16:48   #6
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Fellow Team-BHPians:

Do you agree that all of this would have been a non-issue, if the parties concerned: namely, the truck, the Zen, the Tavera and the Sumo and brother pramodkumar had not been speeding at unsafe speeds?

All of us are aware that as speeds increase, reaction times come down.

Then you need military fitness and the reflexes of a Sukhoi fighter pilot just to survive.

That said, doesn't it make sense just to drive more slowly at 01:00 am when most people after dinner may also expected to be a little drowsy?

Ram
Old 6th September 2006, 16:51   #7
Ram
Senior - BHPian

One sees people in Pune routinely run red traffic lights and speed at great hazard to others. Motorcyclists cut across the path of bigger vehicles, even in front of the policeman and they fail to do anything every time.

Then why complain when the inevitable happens as it most certainly deserves to?

Our country in general and North India in particular lacks proper law enforcement.

Again and again we hear and observe people speeding along highways, weaving in and out of traffic like they own the road.

As licensed drivers (driving a motor vehicle is a privilege not a birthright),
why do we forget our responsibility to drive at speeds within which our own skills (and not those of others) can guarantee safety of our own lives, those of our co-passengers and the lives of other road users?
Old 6th September 2006, 17:16   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram
Fellow Team-BHPians:

Do you agree that all of this would have been a non-issue, if the parties concerned: namely, the truck, the Zen, the Tavera and the Sumo and brother pramodkumar had not been speeding at unsafe speeds?

Ram
I agree that they were all beyond the prescribed speed limits, but that begs the question of whether the speed limits in the present context are meaningful...

Secondly, the degree of violation of law of the parties concerned are not equal. ostensibly, what tavera did is sheer disregard for traffic rules and life of other road users, but zen and pramod's case was different.
Old 6th September 2006, 17:20   #9
Senior - BHPian

I think the only idiot to be blamed for this is the Tavera driver....can't really classify 60 as an "unsafe" speed.

And I agree with TSK, I don't know what happens but you see probably the same set of drivers show total disregard for rules the minute they go beyond the borders of Delhi

Last edited by suman : 6th September 2006 at 17:23.
Old 6th September 2006, 17:45   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman
And I agree with TSK, I don't know what happens but you see probably the same set of drivers show total disregard for rules the minute they go beyond the borders of Delhi
Well it's Total disregard for the law plain and simple. Point being that in Delhi due to relatively stricter policing thses guys have the chances of being caught & prosecuted but in places like Haryana & UP the police force is quite lax about traffic violations so they violate the rules at will.

Instead of catching some poor soul only jumping a redlight the police of states like Haryana & UP have better & more important work like stopping trucks and doing wasooli!
Old 6th September 2006, 17:48   #11
Senior - BHPian

So there i was coming from Hapur side on the NH 24 towards Noida on the bypass stretch which is loaded with a proper divider. reflectors and the works of european standard highways. And i was commenting to my passengers: "Who says there are no good roads in India"? Then after a slight right hand turn I see a truck coming straight at me with high beam. Can't say i had to work hard to avoid it but it did make realise that one can never take anything for granted on our roads.
Old 6th September 2006, 18:19   #12
BHPian

Lucky Miss

Lunatics Lunatics every where, every lunatic out for the kill ... just be alert on the road, you can be really lucky.

I wonder what needs to be done, who is to be blamed. Yesterday I was on a bike, when I saw a boy riding a bike coming my way. He would not be more than 12- 13 years old and if I had hit him, whose mistake would it be. Cops see him and look the other side. I think he is some top notch's son. So when he hits someone on the road, what happens!!!! And then these guys start with cars when they are 15 and the ford Icon accident in Mumbai will have more repeaters.
Old 6th September 2006, 18:21   #13
BHPian

Happens Everywhere in India

Mindless driving on the wrong side to save a few km happens everywhere. I experienced this while travelling from Bangalore to Chennai on the Golden Quadrilateral.
Vehicles coming on the wrong side always seem to use the extreme right lane so that they can sneak into the other side easily. Of course, they drive at high speed
I drive in the middle lane except while overtaking. That seems to be the safest spot on multi laned/ separated highways

Have seen several such morons in Bangalore too!!!
Cheers

Note from Mod - please do not cut and paste from MS Word
Old 6th September 2006, 18:47   #14
Ram
Senior - BHPian

What kind of a motoring India do we want to build in the next ten years?

What kind of a motoring India do we want to build in the next ten years?

Right now, the sheer immaturity and concomitant impatience that we see, is appalling!

Surely we need better educated, more disciplined, more patient motorists.

Any suggestions?

My friend sitting here next to me just said, "Just leave India and her problems and maladies behind, and escape to Europe".

Please suggest something other than that!

Ram

[Mods: if you think this is better placed elsewhere, please move it appropriately]
Old 6th September 2006, 20:42   #15
BHPian

bros, i guess its rightly to be safe rather than sorry. even though the blood boils at such incidents but there is nothing much we can do except call 100 & report.

once i witnessed 2 sumos racing each other on NH-8 right after mahipalpur & coming towards gurgaon. now the cab in front swevered left & the guy behind swered right accelerating only to realise that the cab in the front was trying to avoid a man crossing the road. bang & the man goes flying on the bonnet of the following sumo.

all the traffic comes to a standstill & some people move towards the unlucky man on the road.

look at the guts of the driver now, he suddendly speeds up & tries to flee the scene. this is when its fully loaded with 9-10 guys sitting inside & nobody saying a word. i started my mobike & followed the bugger some distance till i cud make out the number of the vehicle. i stopped & called 100 to report the same but i m dead sure till date they wud not have been able to trace the culprit.

in such a case the passengers should also be treated as offenders as they did not speak for the right thing. they were mere spectators.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks