Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2015, 22:01   #271
Senior - BHPian

re: Delhi: Odd & Even numbered cars to drive on alternate days*Edit: website launched for feedback*

Looks like Diwali will come early for Delhi traffic cops !
The amount of bribes they will make in 15 days will break all records.

Not to forget cab drivers.. the Uber/Ola multiplier will shoot up. Bumper days ahead.

I fail to understand the point of this 15 day exercise.. is it just to gauge the chaos on the streets and the public transport system?
It can never be a success, so why the circus act.

Last edited by Hatari : 14th December 2015 at 22:04.
Hatari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2015, 17:32   #272
BHPian

re: Delhi: Odd & Even numbered cars to drive on alternate days*Edit: website launched for feedback*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masda View Post
Trust me, a lot of Delhiites on this forum (including me) who are resenting against this idea would happily give up their cars, IF there was a credible public transport available. Sadly there is none. We would equally be whole hearted in our acceptance of this decision if it was getting implemented in some other city. Apologies in advance for the unabashed sarcasm!

In lighter vein:
To your point on using cycles:- with additional buses being pressed into service, not to mention additional Taxis and Autos on the road, I think it will definitely help address at least one of the causes for pollution, i.e. population. This idea alone, will be enough to reduce Delhi's population to a great extent.
Pedestrians, two wheelers, and Cyclists have the highest fatality rate on Delhi's roads. source:http://easts.info/on-line/proceedings/vol9/PDF/P272.pdf. This data may be slightly dated, but it is 100% relevant.

For those who will survive the first few weeks of cycling to their destinations, will either quit venturing out fearing for their safety or relocate to cities that still allow personal cars. Not to forget our beloved summer months when temperatures hit 45 degree celsius consistently (night and day).

Can Delhi do a Copenhagen (considered, a biking haven)? Theoretically, YES! If it can do a Sao Polo, Mexico, and Beijing it can perhaps do that too.
Agree. I believe its not right to anticipate the situation in advance. It is best to wait and watch and see how things work. Cycling may be a safe bet for shorter distances only.
Old 15th December 2015, 17:37   #273
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Pujari View Post

I am hoping this happens to Bangalore despite of the fact that both of my cars have odd numbers. I like many here are ready to give up the comfort to make Bangalore a better place to live and 'breathe'.
I'd like to disagree here. As you'll be well aware of the fact that the public transport system of Bangalore is close to nil. And buses stop plying after 11 PM. It would be extremely inconveniencing to the people of this city. Add to that the unreliable frequency of the buses with no fixed schedule.

As someone who travels 22 km one side to office (and i'm sure several other people do the same in Bangalore). I certainly can't imagine myself boarding a crowded BMTC bus in the morning and reaching office, exhausted (perhaps late as well) with clothes completely crumpled and no energy to work.

In Bangalore's case, we need massive improvements in infrastructure and public transport before giving even a thought to any such regulation.
Old 15th December 2015, 17:39   #274
BHPian

Further update on this.

As per NDTV, SC has agreed on ban of sales of diesel vehicles above 2000cc. SC says "The Rich cant go around in SUVs Polluting the environment"

Source:
http://www.ndtv.com/delhi-news/will-...-lateststories
Old 15th December 2015, 20:18   #275
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeantownThinker View Post
Further update on this.

As per NDTV, SC has agreed on ban of sales of diesel vehicles above 2000cc. SC says "The Rich cant go around in SUVs Polluting the environment"

Source:
http://www.ndtv.com/delhi-news/will-...-lateststories
That is going to hit the car makers like Toyota and Mahindra the most. Innova, Fortuner, Xuv500 and Scorpio are their best selling models. Well, at least it's not a blanket ban on all diesel cars. Still, not a really good solution to pollution problem as the number of SuV aren't too much to make much impact. And banning trucks before 2005 is also not going to be effective. How will police check thousands of trucks everyday for their registration.
Old 15th December 2015, 20:42   #276
Team-BHP Support

Something needs to be done, and just because the initial steps don't seem very practical or may not be effective long-term, is no justification to do NOTHING.

This hit & trial is understandably going to be painful for certain segments of the population, but we also need to see it in the context that by doing nothing, we're slowly poisoning everyone in Delhi everyday anyway, so something's got to give.
Old 16th December 2015, 10:58   #277
BHPian

A refreshing view from Bengaluru - check out this

Quote:
Days before Delhi experiments with running cars ending with odd and even number plates on alternate days, Bengaluru on Monday gave a presentation to the Centre on how it is revamping its bus transport system to address increasing pollution and congestion levels
"The Intelligent Transport System (ITS) would increase ridership and reduce personalized motorized vehicles on roads...there are environmental benefits associated with public transport system," Bangalore Metropolitan Transport Corporation said in a presentation at the regional conference on 'Minimum Government-Maximum Governance' organized by Department of Administrative Reforms and Public Grievances
Quote:
The Delhi government has decided to press ahead with the odd-even formula on an experimental basis from January 1, while admitting that public transport system in Delhi is not up for the challenge. Bengaluru, on the other hand, is going for what it claims is the first ITS implementation in urban transport in India.

In the works for two years now, ITS is supposed to kick in from this month-end with the aim of encouraging people to travel by buses. It will provide real-time tracking of buses through a mobile application and GPS on all buses in the city, over 10,000 electronic ticketing machines and a smart card payment system. Bengaluru sees 5.2 million bus passengers daily in 6,521 buses running over 76,000 trips - more than Delhi on every count. ITS will ensure real-time information on estimated time of arrival of buses on the mobile app and monitor and track service adherence and performance to encourage people to travel by buses.

Bengaluru said it aims to improve mobility for users to travel by buses. It has also tied up with a financial institution for implementation of a smart travel card solution as a prepaid wallet for travelling on buses and the same can also be used for purchases across merchant outlets
Sounds good. One ought to ensure good quality bus rides and services for the masses before opting for the odd-even formula.

Delhi has advantage of having a mature metro train system. Instead of simply focusing on roads, improvements ideas must be pursued on the metro system too. Example - I have seen serpentine lines at the metro ticketing counters (which does not really help and at times can be discouraging). The self-ticketing machines must be increased in numbers and places. Once in the metro, the rides are comfortable and fast
Old 16th December 2015, 11:03   #278
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
This hit & trial is understandably going to be painful for certain segments of the population, but we also need to see it in the context that by doing nothing, we're slowly poisoning everyone in Delhi everyday anyway, so something's got to give.
But this hit and trial better succeed because a lot of people are going to be paying a very heavy price as a result of this decision.

Case in point -- There is a huge inventory of diesel vehicles piling up at dealer stockyards: http://www.rushlane.com/ngt-diesel-c...-12177531.html

Last edited by Masda : 16th December 2015 at 11:07.
Old 16th December 2015, 11:29   #279
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masda View Post
Case in point -- There is a huge inventory of diesel vehicles piling up at dealer stockyards: http://www.rushlane.com/ngt-diesel-c...-12177531.html
I can empathize/sympathize with the general population for possible hardship (I'm one of them too), but I honestly don't have much sympathy for the automotive sector. They've made plenty of money owing to our skewed fuel taxation policy at the cost of the environment, so it's only fair they pay their share of the price in correcting an issue they helped create/propagate.
Old 16th December 2015, 14:12   #280
Senior - BHPian

I think personal diesel vehicles are not the worst polluters - that crown should jointly go to trucks+cabs (yellow plate).
A strict enforcement of the yearly C/F granted to commercial vehicles could curb this problem.

Generators run in the semi urban/rural areas to cope with the electricity problems are another major contributor.

Smoke from the mixers during road construction and the stone dust - heavy contributors to pollution.

All of the above mentioned should be tackled - govt IMO is taking the easy way out.
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2015, 10:09   #281
BHPian

Meanwhile, Delhi lawyers seek exemption from odd-even traffic rule!

Quote:
The coordination committee of all district court bar associations, in its letter to Kejriwal, said that the odd-even traffic restriction plan will severely affect litigants and the public having cases in the different district courts, tribunals, forums and commissions due to non-appearance of lawyers on time.
What about doctors now? A lawyer's non-appearance might be a major inconvenience to general public, but with doctors it could be a matter of someone's life and death.

Anyways, the govt. couldn't care less!

PS: I am neither a doctor nor a lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
I can empathize/sympathize with the general population for possible hardship (I'm one of them too), but I honestly don't have much sympathy for the automotive sector.
Yes, but we should also remember the people (and their families) who depend on the automotive sector for their livelihood. Perhaps the dealers themselves and employees with fat paychecks will be able to tide over this ban, but what about technicians or junior SAs who are employed by these dealerships? Will they be able to keep their jobs if this ban is extended?

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 17th December 2015 at 10:47. Reason: Back to back posts merged.
Old 23rd December 2015, 23:49   #282
BHPian

I am very confused by this I have my Swift and R15 as Odd number, the only vehicle which is even numbered is my RX100. Now I work in night shift, i.e. my office starts at 8pm and in the morning I get home by 7am. Now I want to know if I start for my office which i normally start at around 6pm I will be following the odd or even day's protocol Now lets suppose I get late in the morning the next day (which I usually do because of my meetings and briefing to the team), and I leave office after 8am; then what?????
Old 24th December 2015, 10:28   #283
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivanshu View Post
I am very confused by this I have my Swift and R15 as Odd number, the only vehicle which is even numbered is my RX100. Now I work in night shift, i.e. my office starts at 8pm and in the morning I get home by 7am. Now I want to know if I start for my office which i normally start at around 6pm I will be following the odd or even day's protocol Now lets suppose I get late in the morning the next day (which I usually do because of my meetings and briefing to the team), and I leave office after 8am; then what?????
I don't think the ban applies to two wheelers. So you should be good as long as you are riding and not driving.
Masda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2015, 10:55   #284
Team-BHP Support

Eagerly awaiting the guidelines today. I hope outstation numbers are excluded, my car is registered in Gurgaon
Old 24th December 2015, 10:57   #285
Distinguished - BHPian

So whats the outcome when this does happen, and youre caught with the wrong digit of the day?
There is no legality to any kind of challan if its presented. And the frankly brilliant and wise people at the centre may probably clear new provisions in the MVA by the next....god knows when, if ever.
So if the "offender" submits his license and appears in court, what law will the Traffic guys pull up? Genuinely interested to know what is the plan here.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks