Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th December 2015, 11:11   #286
Senior - BHPian

re: Delhi: Odd & Even numbered cars to drive on alternate days*Edit: website launched for feedback*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KomS_CarLog View Post
A refreshing view from Bengaluru - check out this

Sounds good. One ought to ensure good quality bus rides and services for the masses before opting for the odd-even formula.

Delhi has advantage of having a mature metro train system. Instead of simply focusing on roads, improvements ideas must be pursued on the metro system too. Example - I have seen serpentine lines at the metro ticketing counters (which does not really help and at times can be discouraging). The self-ticketing machines must be increased in numbers and places. Once in the metro, the rides are comfortable and fast
Really nice initiative. This is something that was obvious and they are doing it finally. With the availability of CNG, they need to convert their buses to use it. Would be good if govts all over India bring only environmentally better fueled vehicles instead of adding to the existing problems.

Hope the February opening of metro from Nayandahalli to Byappanahalli will open as per plan !

Last edited by srishiva : 24th December 2015 at 11:13.
Old 24th December 2015, 11:18   #287
Senior - BHPian

re: Delhi: Odd & Even numbered cars to drive on alternate days*Edit: website launched for feedback*

So I just read that women will be exempted from this.
"Women drivers will be exempted under the scheme but they will be penalised if any male member is travelling along. Women drivers travelling only with female members will also not be considered a violation,"

So we may, after all, see a considerable less aggression in the Testosterone fueled roads of the NCR!

In addition, the CNG vehicles are also exempted.
Oh boy, I see people making a beeline for CNG conversion kits pronto!
alpha1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2015, 13:38   #288
BHPian

What if male passenger hides behind the seat?

Typical Indian way of doing things - exceptions, quota system, reservations etc
aerohit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2015, 14:09   #289
BHPian

The Delhi government has come out with more details on the implementation.

Quote:
Spelling out the details of the odd-even formula for cars to be implemented from January 1, 2016, Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal put the onus on Delhiites for making the plan successful.
Quote:
There would be a fine of Rs. 2,000 for violating the odd-even rule, Mr. Kejriwal said.
Quote:
The government has made many exemptions too. All two-wheelers, CNG-run vehicles, electric and hybrid vehicles, women drivers and with child up to 12-years-old, emergency vehicles such as ambulances, fire, hospital, prison vehicles etc., those on the way to hospital for medical treatment and the physically challenged need not comply with the rules of the scheme.
Quote:
The list of VIPs who have been exempted includes the President, Vice-President, Prime Minister, Governors, the Chief Justice of India, Lok Sabha Speaker, Rajya Sabha Deputy Chairman, Union Ministers, Leaders of Opposition in Parliament, Chief Ministers, Supreme Court judges and the Deputy Speaker.
Quote:
He also said that strict action will be taken against auto-rickshaw drivers who overcharge during the 15-day period. Parking lots have also been instructed to follow the plan.
source
Old 24th December 2015, 14:43   #290
Team-BHP Support

Do we assume that this applies to outstation cars as well ? I don't see it formally documented in any of the news reports.
Old 24th December 2015, 15:41   #291
Senior - BHPian

How would CNG compliance be checked? Suppose my car has a CNG kit (which can be validated from outside by the metal CNG plaque and the fill cap) but I am driving on petrol, how shall that be validated?
Old 24th December 2015, 15:43   #292
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Eagerly awaiting the guidelines today. I hope outstation numbers are excluded, my car is registered in Gurgaon

No, they are not. This applies to all cars, irrespective of the place of registration.

Excerpts:

The car rationing scheme would be applicable from 8 AM to 8 PM on all days except Sunday and on cars with NCR and other states’ registration number plates, Kejriwal said. - See more at: http://indianexpress.com/article/ind....1kjpuBRo.dpuf

Last edited by rdhawan15 : 24th December 2015 at 15:47.
rdhawan15 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th December 2015, 15:53   #293
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdhawan15 View Post
No, they are not. This applies to all cars, irrespective of the place of registration.

Excerpts:

The car rationing scheme would be applicable from 8 AM to 8 PM on all days except Sunday and on cars with NCR and other states’ registration number plates, Kejriwal said. - See more at: http://indianexpress.com/article/ind....1kjpuBRo.dpuf
So outstation cars - say someone driving from Rajasthan or UP or Bihar or Bengal or Gujarat need to wait at Delhi's borders till 8 PM and then enter? Resulting major traffic lockups?
This law has more holes than a strainer !
blackasta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th December 2015, 17:52   #294
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdhawan15 View Post

Excerpts:

Idiocy at its best. I am sure the people who voted for Kejriwal would be cursing at this stupid rule and it's implementation cos I know I am doing it without even voting. So, if I am going to Chandigarh today I can't return tomorrow as my car number will be subject to a fine as per the rule.

This new year the happiest will be our dearest Delhi police. Not even Santa Claus could have given them such an opportunity of minting money from the common man whose only fault is of getting born in this country with dumbhead politicians and stupid rules which makes no sense at all.

Sorry for the rant but my business will be getting affected cos of this so I am Royally pissed.
Old 24th December 2015, 18:20   #295
Senior - BHPian

How will businesses like Zoomcar work ? Offer an odd/even car based on the day ? Does the customer have to wait for an odd/even day to return the car , or return it during the exempt hours ?

Do yellow board taxis like Ola fall under the rule as well ?
Old 24th December 2015, 19:16   #296
BHPian

I've been keeping quiet thus far hoping against hope that this would not be as harebrained as I feared it to be. However, the powers that be must never be underestimated in their ability to cause the maximum inconvenience to the common man.

1. The absolute non-availability of public transport-Till a while ago, there used to be a direct bus from a bus stop near my house to central delhi. However, for some strange reason DTC decided to stop plying this route. So I have to take a bus, I must change no less than 4 buses to reach central delhi. In fact from the West side of Hazrat Nizamuddin (one of Delhi's largest railway stations there is not a single bus to anywhere)
As regards DMRC, its already running at full capacity and during the morning rush hour is no less crowded than the Mumbai locals. So I must put up with being crushed every morning, because instead of augmenting public transport, the powers that would rather relay perfectly fine medians and dig up freshly laid roads or lay those plastic speed breakers that keep vanishing, or, even better buy extremely expensive radio slots to sing their own paeans.

2. Highly defective road engineering-Ashram, South-Extension, Yusuf Sarai, Mubarka Chowk, Dhaula Kuan, Chattarpur-Andheria Mor; I go could simply go on and on about how absolutely idiotic road planning causes a sudden narrowing of the right of way leading to absolute chaos. Instead of improving traffic flow, the powers that be are instead going to simply prevent vehicles from plying. Let's not forget the BRT corridor that forces vehicles to crawl spewing fumes and instead of helping public cause has successfully reduced the speed of ALL vehicles to a snail pace.

3. Absolute lack of data on who is causing the pollution-Let's go to the meat of the matter. I can't seem to find a single study (and please don't cite the Center for Environment study-its neutrality is extremely questionable) that states that "private cars" are the single largest contributors to pollution. In descending order of contributors in my opinon-
-crop burning in neighboring agrarian states that drifts over to Delhi every single year
-hopelessly overloaded, ill maintained heavy commercial vehicles; because in the past 20 or so years no one built a bye-pass to Delhi, and that one route that exists has a prohibitively expensive toll structure. So these trucks going to all four corners of the country, enter the city, crawl through spewing noxious diesel fumes bad enough to clog up air filters, forget my lungs. No one is willing to take action against them, because truckers have clout. The imposition of the pollution tax is a joke. I mean a leading check-post operator in Delhi claims to collect Rs. 6 Cr. a day as pollution tax, but who is accounting, where is the system to ensure that the money collected is spent in providing cleaner fuels and highly efficient public transportation systems.
-the numerous waste to energy plants that exist-anyone going to Jasola/Bawana will notice white flecks floating around in the air, because the damn plants incinerate plastic, which genius thought of this one??
-Rajghat and Badarpur Thermal stations-Coal Burning plants the former smack in the middle of the city and the other so strategically placed that the entire emission discharge settles over deoli to vasant kunj (wind rose study anyone).

4. The exemption list-Why O' Why should politicians be exempt? Do their convoy's emit mountain air perchance? Sure exempt the PM and the President, but what is the logic behind the others? So while people with one car can travel like sardines or take a walk, Mr. VIP can run around the roads in twenty cars convoys-SHEER GENIUS.
Thankfully, they have exempted single women or women in groups or with children.
Again they have exempted two wheeler s-gee! let me get my 25 year old two stroke white smoke belching Chetak out of retirement, you can only exempt two wheelers if and only if they have valid PUC's (which is a joke in itself) and if not impound them, but this free hand to two-wheeler's is absurd.

5. Absolute lack of enforcement-where was the administration when diesel powered Ola's and Uber, Call Center Taxis, Light Commercial Vehicles (like Vikram) were taking over the streets of Delhi-despite the need for all public service vehicles to be CNG powered? Sleeping of-course.
-The PUC scam-cars are supposed to undergo testing every three months, but what about vehicles which fail the test-simple just keep running them and that one day when the cops catch you, pull out your Gandhi's, flash a smile and hey presto Bob's your Uncle. This the scenario for private vehicles, as regards commercial vehicles-has anyone been to the Burari Vehicle fitness centre? Its one of the biggest jokes ever, I know numerous auto/taxi/tempo and 407 owners who wouldnt be able to place the centre on a map, thanks to "agents" that "assist" in passing vehicles without even such vehicles actually visiting the centre.

6. The repeated postponement of imposition of BS-V and VI standards and telling OMC's to start providing cleaner fuels. Of course let the car manufacturers of the hook (because better pollution norms will cause fires don't you know).

7. Colossal failure of the pilot project-the no car rule was sought to be implemented at Vikas Marg on 22nd December, does any one know the result, I do, the AQI for that are remained the same, instead what it did ensure was that cars snaked through narrow bye-lanes and colony roads and everything from ITO to Geeta Colony resembled a parking lot, while the supposedly car free stretch was overrun with two wheelers, autos trucks and buses and what not.

My post could be construed as a rant, but my frustration stems from the fact that the administration is indulging in big-showy gestures and targeting the easiest demographic of them all. The problem might be private cars who knows, but first fix all of the above and if despite that you have trouble then target private cars.

Last edited by shady_lawyer : 24th December 2015 at 19:35.
shady_lawyer is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th December 2015, 20:21   #297
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shady_lawyer View Post
My post could be construed as a rant, but my frustration stems from the fact that the administration is indulging in big-showy gestures and targeting the easiest demographic of them all. The problem might be private cars who knows, but first fix all of the above and if despite that you have trouble then target private cars.
Absolutely agree. I don't question the intention or the need but the way it has happened really bothers me. I mean there are bills that have not been passed for 2 years and this scheme has been passed in 15 days flat, just because the sufferer is us.

As with so many campaigns targeted for good deeds but executed in a way that they actually remain a marketing stunt. Even if they had to make a scheme for public, if they could have come up with something that was slightly less inconvenient than regular, people would have adopted it, but this is just plain nonsense. I mean if I have to give up 10% of my convenience, I am okay if the govt is also ready to give up its 10% convenience. But this is like I am the only one who has to give up 50% for my convenience. When they can have all of theirs that too sponsored by my hard earned money.

I mean does a VIP heading to parliament, where they don't do anything meaningful except for shouting on each other and make mockery of our democracy more important than me going to office and earning bread and butter for my family and pay taxes that actually pay for the fuel that he will burning in his security guards car?

Very sad.

Rachit
Rachit.K.Dogra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th December 2015, 20:33   #298
BHPian

I dont understand this rubbish scheme.

We are tax payer out here, everything we buy from a match box to a car we pay tax on it. And then we pay tax on our yearly income as well. And what we get is that we are the one who has to sacrifice all the time. A 15 minute heavy rain causes havoc in Delhi which is the capital of our Country, when we are stuck in jam where are the administrative people. Dont they know that traffic jams cause pollution.
Few pointers:
1. We normal law abiding citizen has to now curb on our cars which we have purchased and got it registered after paying the amount, road tax, one time tax.
a) What about the sand mafia trucks which zoom past in the early hours on Delhi roads, puking smoke out of their exhaust.
b) What about MCD trucks which do not even have brake lights?
c) What about the road conditions which once gets bad then forget to see it repaired?
d) The regular drivers on Delhi roads knows where the traffic jam is regularly and hence avoid those roads. Where are the so called administrative agencies, dont they know which stretch of which part of Delhi/NCR gets jammed? What has been done to improve it?

2. Government is hitting on "aam janta" blaming for pollution as they drive their cars. What about the basic transport vehicle in various part of Delhi who are not even Bharat Stage 2 or 3?

3. What about the silent generators used by big companies, hotels, outlets?

All of a sudden Delhi govt official went abroad and saw BRT implemented in other countries, and then they came back and they made BRT which is a big flop. And now they have gone ahead to press this rule copying from other country.

They forget the government abroad first do their homework and then implement something with all the pros and cons in mind. And that is the reason why is it successful in other countries. I am not sure, how much of our Tax Money will be taken for granted or how much we as people can be taken for granted.

I understand that their are flaws in us as well, but atleast lets be logical . The Capital of our country which cant withstand the heavy rains, you think can adhere to this. Its a mere wastage of time, energy & resources.
Shivanshu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th December 2015, 22:49   #299
BHPian

A checklist for the traffic cops of Delhi.

1.) Every morning check what date is it. (Odd or even).
Note: If it's a Sunday, the below checklist doesn't hold good.
2.) keep a track of time (wether it's before or after 8 am/pm)
3.) check if the car is a yellow board commercial car or if it's a private one.
4.)check the number of each car and determine if it's odd or even.
5.) check if the vehicle belongs to any of the emergency services.
6.) check if it's a minister's/ VIP's car (as they're exempted) hint: look for the read beacon on the roof of the car.
5.) If as per the number, the car isn't supposed to run that day, check if the driver is a single woman driver, or has a group of woman passengers.
7.) check if the car is an electric/hybrid car.

After all this, if the car is still within reach, stop it and
8.) check if the car is being driven by a disabled.
9.) check if the passengers have a genuine emergency to attend.

Finally, after completing the entire checklist decide if a fine has to be imposed or not!!

Best of luck to all the traffic cops of Delhi, may the force be with you!
greatgyan is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 26th December 2015, 11:27   #300
BHPian

The final details of odd-even rule are out. Thank God, two wheelers are exempt. Fine is a hefty Rs. 2000. This rule will also apply to four wheelers from other states entering Delhi. Now, let's see how the cops handle this. Hope it will not create unruly scenes at the inter state borders!
Attached Thumbnails
Delhi: Odd & Even numbered cars to drive on alternate days-1451109130781.jpg  

ajitstreet is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks