Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2015, 16:03   #226
BHPian

re: Delhi: Odd & Even numbered cars to drive on alternate days*Edit: website launched for feedback*

Well! Even the authorities in Bangalore are mulling on implementing the odd-even regulation.

Source: http://www.bangaloremirror.com/banga...w/50068324.cms

Being a Bangalorean, I'm sure this would be more about curbing the maddening traffic rather than as a measure to control pollution.
But Bangalore's public transport is close to nil. (I'm sure fellow Bangalorean's on the forum would agree with me on this) Buses don't have any schedule whatsoever and are always crowded.
Namma Metro?? well, the less said about its current reach, the better.
Auto Rickshaws 3 days a week?? you gotta have seriously deep pockets then.

Considering the fact that the majority of car owners in Bangalore would belong to the IT sector, and IT sector being IT sector, doesn't have any fixed office timings. Add to that different shift schedules (night shift, early morning shift etc.)and we can say that its going to be extremely inconveniencing for the people of Bangalore if and when it is implemented here.

Honestly, again. The government would be taking the easy way out to address the problem of traffic congestion, rather than developing the infrastructure.

After reading all these reports, i'm seriously wondering as to why i'm saving everyday to be able to buy my dream car, when it would be useless and lying idle for 3 days of the week.

Food for thought: Why should i pay such high road taxes (trust me, road tax in Karnataka is notoriously high ) and insurance premium as well, when i cannot use my vehicle for effectively 5-6 months of the year.
greatgyan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th December 2015, 18:21   #227
BHPian

re: Delhi: Odd & Even numbered cars to drive on alternate days*Edit: website launched for feedback*

Odd-Even logic isn't a workable one for long. But, it works at one level -

It provides a wake up call to everyone. It tells everyone we need to rethink how we transport ourselves.

I can't poison the air, driving my large car weighing over 1 ton, just to carry my bum weighing 80kg!!

We need to lighten our roads by promoting smaller, lighter vehicles. Two wheelers, small elective vehicles. Bigger vehicles having less than 20km/L should be taxed heavily (i.e.l should cost atleast double of what they do now).

If one drives bigger vehicles than 20kmpl segment, then there should be atleast more than 2 people inside it. If not a biting fine should be imposed.

We also need heavy taxation of fuels (both petrol, diesel) to make driving vehicles a true luxury. I suggest prices of over Rs.100/-

Ofcourse, we need to improve our public transport on a war footing. But, we also need interim measures.

Odd-even formula works only as a interim measure. We need more holistic solutions.

My right to drive vehicle is not greater than my fellow citizens right to clean air.

Disclosure: I own Innova, Estilo & Mahindra Reva E2O. Use E2O the most within City, and Innova only for long rides.

Last edited by hkollar : 10th December 2015 at 18:21. Reason: correction
hkollar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th December 2015, 19:26   #228
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
I am sorry but Paris implemented it only for a day before they went back to normal.
achilles101 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2015, 19:36   #229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatgyan View Post
Well! Even the authorities in Bangalore are mulling on implementing the odd-even regulation.
No way this is getting implemented in our city.
Public transport in BLR has to be the worst among all Metros in India.

That being said, I would love to take a bus everyday to college instead of riding through traffic. There's a very high chance of not getting hit. There's a catch to that:
  • I have to spend 1 hour in the morning
  • Have to change three busses
  • And 1.5 hours in the evening for my commute
  • Walk a KM to reach the bus stop. (Walking isn't a problem, walking in rain is a problem)
  • Metro rail connectivity is planned. Only planned. It'll take 5 more years
Old 11th December 2015, 08:48   #230
BHPian

I am not from Delhi, and have never visited the place. But still, after reading this, I am surprised by the opposition to this move.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/50129301.cms

It seems we value convenience more than our/our family's health!

I had always thought this even-odd rule had to come some day, but not for pollution. I thought this would happen some day once our infrastructure would choke and adding more vehicles would become near impossible (Bangalore is almost close to that stage now). It is practically impossible to keep adding infrastructure and keep up with the growing number of vehicles, especially in populous cities like ours.

Yes, public transport infrastructure should be improved to meet the demand and promote it's use. But, that is a chicken/egg problem. I feel even if government increases capacity of the public transport, not many would use it leaving their cars home, unless they are pushed to do so. By nature, we humans are averse to change, especially in things like comfort.

So, I believe once the even-odd rule is implemented, there will be a lag of few months/years till the public transport catches up to the swelled usage. Till then people need to struggle. But may be that is something we owe our future generations?
Old 11th December 2015, 11:11   #231
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bh.P View Post
I am not from Delhi, and have never visited the place. But still, after reading this, I am surprised by the opposition to this move.

It seems we value convenience more than our/our family's health!
I'm not from Delhi either but have been based here for the past two years and have had links going back a few decades.

On the surface this opposition may seem strange but the fact is that Delhi never really had a widely acceptable public transport system for decades, unlike say, Bombay. The reasons are partly cultural, partly due to administration apathy and partly due to the safety situation - remember Nirbhaya episode?

Asking people to give up a decades old habit overnight without properly educating them about the issues at hand is bound to have strong reactions.

The problem of controlling air pollution is a complex one and requires years of collaboration & concerted efforts by various govt. departments. Due to apathy of administration for more than a decade, the ruling party now finds itself with a hot potato in their hands.

Lastly, not many realise, but the contribution of private vehicles to PM 2.5 levels is not as as significant as it is being made to look like. 45% of the contribution is due to the arid climate and construction activities. The numbers for vehicular emissions speak for themselves. So I wouldn't blame any Delhi resident for opposing this so hard.

Name:  vehicularpollution.png
Views: 720
Size:  263.7 KB
outofthebox is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th December 2015, 11:59   #232
Senior - BHPian

Delhi: Odd & Even numbered cars to drive on alternate days

In Bangalore, few years back, to reduce congestion the Govt went on an aggressive drive and converted many roads into one-way, so one can say to reduce congestion the Govt indirectly increased pollution (as one have to drive longer) or am I misunderstanding it.
Old 11th December 2015, 12:28   #233
BHPian

Something to chew on...

Interview with expert who authored a research paper on Mexico City's scheme where u restrict the car being driven only on one day of the week:

http://blogs.reuters.com/india/2015/...on-u-s-expert/

Excerpt:
Scientists are very clear now that particulates are the most pollutant for human health, so addressing particulates is an enormous priority. Unfortunately, it’s not at all clear that driving restrictions are a way to do this. As you suggest, vehicles are just one of many sources of particulates, so it’s not clear at all that going after vehicles is the best method for addressing particulates.
Old 11th December 2015, 13:19   #234
BHPian

Now, the NGT has entered into fray and questioned Delhi Government's plan. The NGT has said that such measures could lead to people buying 2 cars to circumvent the ban.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/50135221.cms

Kejriwal should set aside a period of 30 days to debate about pollution-control measures. He needs to prepare a blueprint about how his Government intends to:

1) Control dust pollution.
2) Rein-in commercial trucks and autos that play havoc with the Delhi air.
3) Possible congestion-related pricing to discourage people from using cars in thickly congested areas of Delhi.
4) Improving public transport.
5) Encouraging Car-pooling that has people's safety as a top-priority.
6) Encouraging people using old 2-wheelers to adopt newer 4-stroke 2 wheelers.
7) Working with Delhi Metro to reduce Metro's construction activity related impact on the environment.
8) Encouraging use of electric bikes and cars in the Delhi. For this, he needs to work with the Central Government and offer subsidy in the form of Zero-taxes on such vehicles.
9) Rationing of new vehicle registrations.

Being a Chief Minister, he has more visibility on the problem than me. So, he could actually have a better data viewpoint in isolating the main causes of pollution and fixing them.

It is a different matter that he may choose to target the softest spot to score some brownie points in media, but the problem will remain unresolved without a clear action plan.
rdhawan15 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2015, 13:29   #235
BHPian

Quote:
Even the authorities in Bangalore are mulling on implementing the odd-even regulation....
TBH, I see more reasons for than against.

People in the IT sector here seem to have gotten cars like peanuts. They're sufficiently pampered with the weather which is another good reason to protect the air around Bangalore.

It'd be heaven if the public transport were tripled it's size & improved it's quality by abit.

If we just 'Swalpa adjust maadi' (Adjust abit), and Bangalore will really be saved from being another hellish city.

Last edited by WorkingGuru : 11th December 2015 at 13:36.
Old 11th December 2015, 13:34   #236
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatgyan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdhawan15 View Post
The NGT has said that such measures could lead to people buying 2 cars to circumvent the ban.
That is exactly what I plan on doing, should this become a reality in Banaglore. Time to post in the "What Car" thread
PatchyBoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2015, 14:09   #237
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
That is exactly what I plan on doing, should this become a reality in Banaglore. Time to post in the "What Car" thread
The majority would not be as lucky as you to afford another car. So these fears are unfounded I feel.

Anyway, while you decide to post on the "What car" thread, be informed of this latest news:

"No new diesel vehicles to be registered in Delhi, says National Green Tribunal: PTI"
Old 11th December 2015, 14:11   #238
Senior - BHPian

It seems most people have responded without being able to substantiate their stand.

I have few honest questions as it'll help clarify a lot of things, for others as well as me.

Does anyone have any legit source of statistics around how much heavy vehicles contribute to emissions compared to cars, trucks, double-axle, multi-axle etc.?

And what's the emission range for a 1000 & 2500cc car, petrol and diesel?

When we halve the number of cars on road how much emission are we going to control for that day? Does anyone have the number for cars that ply in delhi within a day?

Any data around how much debris & dust contribute to pollution?

I'm assuming that answers to these questions would lead to a better solution (or stance on this thread at least) rather than simply saying I'm game for it or not.
Old 11th December 2015, 14:31   #239
BHPian

NGT has decided to ban registration of all new diesel vehicles in Delhi.

This is even better plan than Odd-Even. Diesels have higher pollution than petrol.

But, in the longer run, solution is more compact cities with excellent public transport.
hkollar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2015, 14:48   #240
Senior - BHPian

NGT: No diesel cars
Delhi Govt: No cars on odd/even dates.

What Delhiites want? Interesting proposition. May be we need a poll.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks