Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2015, 15:36   #166
BHPian

re: Delhi: Odd & Even numbered cars to drive on alternate days*Edit: website launched for feedback*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manoj2268 View Post
Even I work night shifts. So if I take a car on the odd day, does it mean that I can only take the car back after 2 days?
Again have 2 cars with 1 car parked in the office, and another at home..

On a serious note, they need to put their heads and look at various issues before making an announcement.
Old 8th December 2015, 15:43   #167
BHPian

re: Delhi: Odd & Even numbered cars to drive on alternate days*Edit: website launched for feedback*

I see that many points are debated here. My view is that even though it is a challenge for common man why not try this for 1-2 months and see if it helps the smog a bit or not? If it does not help then the govt will have to withdraw it and find other alternatives.

Delhiites definitely need to think about the particles they are breathing in, especially kids.

Also I think strictly all politicians must be given only one vehicle.
Old 8th December 2015, 16:26   #168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandCruiser View Post
I see that many points are debated here. My view is that even though it is a challenge for common man why not try this for 1-2 months and see if it helps the smog a bit or not? If it does not help then the govt will have to withdraw it and find other alternatives.
My counter to that would be to:

a) try controlling trucks for 2 months. Bar them from entering the city through the entire daytime.
b) take off green commercial 3-wheelers from operation during day-time.
c) bar the commercial tempos from operation during daytime.
d) and, bar all these 'Gramin Sevas' from operation in Delhi.
e) Perform exhaustive pollution control tests on all DTC buses and Metro feeder buses.
f) Perform exhaustive pollution control tests on all 3-wheeler auto-rickshaws.

A 4 week test on these rogue vehicles would be sufficient to see what a difference we could make. Targeting the softest point (read middle-class) in our country has become a fashion.

I am not sure, but if Kejriwal would not have been in Government and such a decision had been taken by Congress or BJP led Government, he would have already launched a Dharna at the Jantar Mantar.

It's funny how things change and what POWER does to a Chief Minister, who until a few months back was an AAM-AADMI.
rdhawan15 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 8th December 2015, 16:41   #169
Senior - BHPian

After going through a large number of posts one thing is clear - people from Delhi are not in favor of this and all others from different states are justifying it cos let's face it they don't have to go through the ordeal.

They don't live in Delhi, they have no clue how bad the public transport system is here. Metro and buses are already overcrowded with barely place to stand and adding another lacs of people to it is sheer stupidity and illogical.

Yes, the pollution is a problem to solve. But, there hasn't been a single logical step by our so called Aam aadmi govt till now which can make a difference. Even in this thread people have given brilliant ideas.

Trucks and autos are the main culprit among vehicles cos most of them don't have a puc or bribe there way through it and still they go unchecked. Still, no solution by our govt towards it. Only thing to do is harass the tax paying common man. Mark my words, It's gonna be a huge mess from Jan 1.

Btw, let me confirm this again. This Odd/even thing is only for Delhi registered number plates right? UP, Haryana are exempted.
harry10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2015, 17:02   #170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Btw, let me confirm this again. This Odd/even thing is only for Delhi registered number plates right? UP, Haryana are exempted.
Nope, you are not so lucky. Even NCR cars will need to follow the same rule.

Source below:
http://indianexpress.com/article/cit...oo-delhi-govt/
rdhawan15 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2015, 17:07   #171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdhawan15 View Post
Targeting the softest point (read middle-class) in our country has become a fashion.
I am not sure, but if Kejriwal would not have been in Government and such a decision had been taken by Congress or BJP led Government, he would have already launched a Dharna at the Jantar Mantar.It's funny how things change and what POWER does to a Chief Minister, who until a few months back was an AAM-AADMI.
Couldn't agree more!

I read through the last few pages and there were some wonderful ideas that if implemented would make a difference even in the short run. It might be worthwhile if we can send them through at this email id: pollutionfreedelhi@gmail.com.

As a concerned citizen, I have already written with my take on the situation.
  1. China's toned down version of even-odd formula, i.e. banning pairs of number on weekdays could be an option that you can look at. For instance, car numbers ending with 4 and 9 are banned on Monday, but on rest of the days, they are free to move within the city. This is a better alternative in my opinion as it will cause less inconvenience to genuine car owners. And at the same time encourage people to use public transport or carpool. Moreover, it would be easier as one needs to plan for a day in case he/she is a frequent car user.
  2. Time restrictions on taking car to crowded areas, especially markets, so that jams due to limited parking space can be avoided. Maybe a 8am to 7pm rule to limit entry of cars in certain areas on certain days (weekdays). Anyone wanting to use the car in such place would need to reach early and leave late, i.e., travel at non-peak hours.
  3. Better manning on junctions, intersections, such as Ashram, kalindi kunj, etc., to avoid jams. Jams and slow-moving traffic are the biggest contributors to pollution.
  4. Stringent policing on errant drivers so that jams at traffic lights can be avoided. Enforcing lane-driving to ensure proper travel speed. This is something that was achieved at the time of commonwealth games with positive results.
  5. Tight scrutiny on construction work happening inside the city,near busy roads, intersections and ensuring quick completion to free up the roads and footpaths for smoother movement.
  6. Incentive to offices / companies for providing taxis, cabs, buses to employees for commuting.
lordvader is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2015, 17:07   #172
BHPian

Quote:
After going through a large number of posts one thing is clear - people from Delhi are not in favor of this and all others from different states are justifying it cos let's face it they don't have to go through the ordeal.
Of course Delhities (and NCRians commuting to Delhi) are going to be against this. We all know the situation when their is an auto strike or the metro stalls (which is quite rare but happens). It is quite an harrowing experience. Heck, even hailing an auto is quite a deal in Delhi. We are blackmailed for rates, and let us not get into what happens once the sun sets. They ask for any price. Buses are jam packed most of the time and have no fixed timing. They usually do random as per the whim and fancy. I fail to see this public infrastructure cope with a huge influx on January 1st. It will be a torrid mess.

Quote:
They don't live in Delhi, they have no clue how bad the public transport system is here. Metro and buses are already overcrowded with barely place to stand and adding another lacs of people to it is sheer stupidity and illogical.
It is overloaded to be honest. Specially the metro. I just think back to: changing the line at CP. Or even trying to board at CP. What a nightmare. Irrespective of timing.

Quote:
Yes, the pollution is a problem to solve. But, there hasn't been a single logical step by our so called Aam aadmi govt till now which can make a difference. Even in this thread people have given brilliant ideas.
It is a huge knee-jerk reaction aped from the West. I am not even in for trying this for 4-5 hours. We will be totally grid-locked. Plus the icy cold of this season, will aggravate the situation more. Delhi is bursting at the seams. Not sure what they can do about this. It is all ready way too late.

Last edited by asingh1977 : 8th December 2015 at 17:20. Reason: spelling
asingh1977 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2015, 17:37   #173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybridpetrol View Post
Only those who will be affected will be the middle class tax payers - who bought their cars with the money left after paying 30% income tax, and by paying EMI to banks, who are usually the easy targets to test all kind of laws.
Quoting my own post above - As long as a country does not allow any comforts to those who are the ones who pay maximum taxes, the woes of the country will not end.
Governments resort to populistic measures such as freebies at the time of elections, and a number of freebies for all who are below poverty line at the cost of the taxpayers money. There are a huge number of tax evaders pretending to be below poverty line to enjoy the freebies they do not even want. Those who are multiple times poorer than these evaders, but are honest, pay taxes regularly, at source.
When such tax paying middle class put together all their current savings, and future income in the form of loans, and buy cars, Governments come up with laws such as - "Who are you to travel in a Car? You do not qualify for any rule we have put to enjoy a Car! You are after all a tax-payer, so go back to Bus to go to office!"
Sorry to sound negative, but this is how I feel, if forced to use a transport to escape which I purchase a car.
hybridpetrol is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 8th December 2015, 17:43   #174
BHPian

*BREAKING*

Got a news flash that first phase of the odd-even formula will be applicable between 1st of January to 15th of January 2016.

Will be valid between 8 am to 8 pm everyday except Sundays.

Last edited by tbppjpr : 8th December 2015 at 17:45.
tbppjpr is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2015, 17:56   #175
BHPian

I tried going to the office via Metro today. Started out at 7am(currently on day shift starting at 9am). Reached nearest Metro Station at 720am. Change over at Kashmere gate at 750 am(already crowded) and changed over again at rajiv chowk to noida @ 810( bursting at the seams at rajiv chowk, cannot board the 6 coach, have to wait for the blue line 8 coach). I reached Noida city center at 855am, already running late, clothes disheveled and dirtied shoes. Getting out of the turnstiles is another game. Get an auto(public transport, you see)reach office at 945 and get an earful from the manager.

Comparing with driving to office which takes 50-70 min, if I start at 730am. Own Car, CNG, A/C on, favorite music , sane driving.

Which one would you prefer?

Edit: i started out for home. Lets see how much time it takes...

Last edited by Manoj2268 : 8th December 2015 at 18:21.
Old 8th December 2015, 18:07   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
*BREAKING*

Got a news flash that first phase of the odd-even formula will be applicable between 1st of January to 15th of January 2016.

That means - Anyone leaving for home from office around 7:30 pm (very logical time in current scenario) with a driving time of around an hour, have two options:

1) Leave the car mid way and return via so called public transport or
2) Pay the fine as decided by the Governing body?

Last edited by gearhead_mait : 8th December 2015 at 18:12.
gearhead_mait is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2015, 18:15   #177
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead_mait View Post
That means - Anyone leaving for home from office around 7:30 pm (very logical time in current scenario) with a driving time of around an hour, have two options:

1) Leave the car mid way and return via so called public transport or
2) Pay the fine as decided by the Governing body?
I believe that odd-even rule will apply only between 8am-8pm.
This means before 8am and after 8pm you can drive regardless of number.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2015, 18:18   #178
BHPian

'Odd-Even' Formula for Cars From 8 am To 8 pm, Says Delhi Government

Highlights of the odd-even formula:
  • The scheme will be rolled out from January 1. The rule will apply from 8 am to 8 pm. Instead of alternate days, it will be date-wise now.
  • On even dates, even cars will be allowed and odd-numbered cars on odd dates. For example - January 1 - odd number cars, January 2 - even number cars.
  • It will be assessed and then further action will be taken.
  • Civil Defence officials and volunteers will be roped in to enforce this.
  • We discussed this with the traffic police and also met with the Metro authorities to increase capacity of commuters. The Delhi traffic police have said that they will cooperate. They are also working on a plan.
  • We have decided to collect samples from 200 places in Delhi. We will then track the pollution fluctuation and present a case study which will be further assessed.
  • The final proposal will be submitted before the 25th of this month which will have a checklist of all vehicles exempted from this rule. We will then announce the final plan.
http://www.ndtv.com/delhi-news/aap-g...lights-1252470

---------------------------

In the mean time a petition has been filed against the 'odd-even' rule.

'Citizens Targeted Mercilessly,' Says Petition Challenging AAP's Odd-Even Rule To Check Pollution

Highlights of the petition:
  • Government has failed to check the main cause of concern of pollution in Delhi and is targeting mercilessly and arbitrarily the helpless citizens of this city.
  • Delhi's public transport system is "undeveloped and unsafe", especially for woman.
  • Government has not paid any attention to dust from construction sites and has focused only "on a limited question of private vehicular pollution.
  • Simple measures which could have caused the pollution to reduce in the city are better management of traffic and traffic signals and their synchronization, and better road construction technology in Delhi.

Last edited by tbppjpr : 8th December 2015 at 18:31.
Old 8th December 2015, 18:28   #179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
..This means before 8am and after 8pm you can drive regardless of number.
Yes, I missed the "12 hour window".
Same case as applied to Parama Flyover here in Kolkata. Between 9am-9pm both the flanks of the flyover are used for onward traffic to Saltlake, Airport etc.
Another similarity found , both decisions(in Kol and Del) are due to lack of planning.
gearhead_mait is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2015, 19:07   #180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
*BREAKING*

This is much better right?
In some way, it is sensible too. Those who want to use cars for their office transport, may continue to use it during non peak hours.
Usually, peak time for office goers is between 8 AM - 11 AM, and 5 PM - 8 PM. This is the time, traffic will be in peak.
So, on alternative days, take cars on non-peak hours. That way, traffic will be spread out, and hence the flow will be smooth.
Less grid locks, contribute to less pollution, even if all the vehicles are on road.
I guess, they will have a clause for all other emergency transports, and public transports.
Of course, it will see light only if everyone practises. If everybody is ready to pay fine for a few days, the rule will never get implemented!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks