Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2016, 09:28   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
My friends Brand New Jazz was parked on the road outside his office in Mindspace, Mumbai. Some wagonr guy crashed into his car and both the right side doors were damaged. Instead of fleeing, the guy posted his number on the car and also provided the same to the security guard of the building asking him to give it to the owner. We were all very surprised by this.
That's a very nice thing to hear. Won't it be great if everyone in India starts doing it? The crowds should stop making a scene firstly and try to help everyone involved rather than trying to beat the crap out of the bigger vehicle driver.

Last edited by ampere : 30th March 2016 at 09:47.
vamsi2390 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th March 2016, 10:33   #47
BHPian

re: Caught on CCTV: Speeding i20 damages our parked car. How do we track it down?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbolt View Post
Plan B : If I don't manage to get the car number is to approach the cops show them the footage and let it go. They din't bother much when we showed them the temple cctv which was installed at the scene. !
Police apathy is common unless pressure builds from the top. If I were you,I would do all of the steps listed below and hope at least something works.

1. Find the ACP/DCP of the division under whom your area falls. This should help https://mumbaipolice.maharashtra.gov...20Officers.pdf and https://mumbaipolice.maharashtra.gov.in/telephone.asp Contact him or her and seek help. Meet them in person and explain that the cops at the local station were not helpful.

2. Make use of social media to reach out to the cops and explain your situation. This is for Bangalore http://tech.economictimes.indiatimes...aints/51521561 . Not sure if Mumbai is still catching up. But hope you get the drift. You could try https://twitter.com/cpmumbaipolice and https://twitter.com/mumbaipolice

3. Please don't be despondent. You have a very strong case and a little push from the cops can help you a great deal.

Good luck and hope for a happy ending. Be persistent!
DejavuTrip is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th March 2016, 14:17   #48
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: Caught on CCTV: Speeding i20 damages our parked car. How do we track it down?

Even if you do find them, do remember that legally, they aren't liable to pay you anything. It's their insurance policy (in particular, the 3rd party component) which is liable.

Of course, we cannot rule out drunk driving in this case. If they were indeed drunk, then their insurance company will wash its hands off the case and the liability swings back to them.

What they did is terrible. But there's no point in chasing them down. Indian roads are filled with idiots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
So, I would still say : Shit happens! Smile and move on! No point spending your energy, time and money on a pursuit that's not going to get you anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Knowing the mob mentality they did what they thought would save their life. And in this country you can get away with murder like some celebrities so it's better to avoid getting into a mob like situation.
Correct. But if you fear getting trashed by mobs, it's best to drive to the nearest police station.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StepUP! View Post
Assuming culprits have mobiles, as per the timestamp in the video, get all the mobile numbers connected to towers in the radius of 1km of the accident spot.
If it was a fatal accident, I'd agree. But since only cars were damaged, I don't think the police would even bother with this level of mobile tracking.
GTO is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 30th March 2016, 14:46   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
If it was a fatal accident, I'd agree. But since only cars were damaged, I don't think the police would even bother with this level of mobile tracking.
I can vouch for Delhi Police when I say...

They don't bother even in hit-n-run cases where a life is lost, unless of course, someone is willing to grease their hands or its a top-down directive.

It was around 2 years back when 2 elderly gentlemen were hit on the ring road bang opposite the Hyatt 5-star hotel. It was a hit and run case. Our relative went in coma for 1 year and eventually gave up. His friend died on the spot.

Mobile tracking was the first thing recommended by me and my father but unfortunately the cops simply didn't bother. We weren't actively involved in pursuing the case but got to know that the cops had bluntly asked the WIIFM question to the deceased's family. They were regular middle-class folks with limited money and no influential connections. Tracking based on mobile numbers is an excellent way to narrow down the suspects but it does require decent toiling by the cops which is why they simply never bother.

If cops have their way, please be rest assured that they have more than adequate ways (and resources) to catch culprits.
fine69 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th March 2016, 15:34   #50
BHPian

Sorry to see what happened to your stationary car. It is a 50:50 chance, if you track down the people you may get some money back for repairs. Else they can shrug / deny, and the day moves on. Sad.

On a side note: what surprised me, both the girls did not even look at the damaged car. Or even glimpse at it. It was in their psyche as if it did not even exist. That is quite shocking and weird. They verified the front area for any manslaughter and the driver checked the back of the car. I wonder for what. It is outright selfish nature. They could have left a number behind, and from the solace and security of their home handled the after math.
Old 30th March 2016, 18:22   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbolt View Post
Hi Guys,

My sister-in-laws car was parked opposite our house on 10th Road Juhu on 23rd March 2016, at 1.26 am on 24th March three girls travelling by a white Hyundai rammed into our Hyundai I10 damaging it severely. We have managed to get the cctv footage from the temple across the road however the number plate is not visible. How do we catch hold of these culprits?
What's worse than the accident is not owning up. Reminds me of an incident many moons ago. I was at a show in Hanover. While backing up our car in the parking lot, we scraped the bumper of another car. The damage was minor and we Indians would not have bothered about it. But my colleagues left behind their business card, just in case.
Old 30th March 2016, 19:22   #52
BHPian

The number plate is not visible, but there must/should be some video editing/enhancing software with the law enforcement agencies that can recover that from this video. Am I watching a lot of Hollywood/SciFi lately

On a serious note, I think the cops couldn't care less. Do keep us posted on this case.
Old 31st March 2016, 19:22   #53
BHPian

Sorry for your loss. It sucks to see incidents like these and then read about the apathy of police officials in the follow up investigation, even in big cities like Mumbai.

The CCTV camera footage is terrible. Is this the actual raw footage from the camera, or was it altered before being handed over to you?
Old 2nd April 2016, 16:57   #54
BHPian

This is reckless driving and it is fortunate that no one got injured. It is very likely that either the driver was over speeding and lost control or was drunk. I have real doubts if you will be able to make any legal case against the driver. There is no practical way to prove that the culprits were over speeding or were drunk. In fact they can make a legal case of your car parked on a public road causing obstruction leading to the problem.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks