Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2016, 17:14   #121
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Corporates & their idiosyncratic rules for employee vehicles

Interesting thread. I work at a company where weird rules have been the norm rather than the exception (things have changed now!) but somehow the rules related to driving have been quite sensible. These include:
- Strictly no driving on campus: all vehicles park in a central multi-level parking lot. Company provides free bicycles to commute within the campus.
- 15 kmph speed limit (enforced when possible- no speed cameras like Ajmat's company!) I have tried pointing out to HR that it's too low and 35 would be more sensible but no dice
- No bareheads allowed, even on pillion. Strangely this results in bikers disgorging their passenger just before the gate rather than comply. A well-coiffured mane is preferable to risk of brain damage apparently!
- There was once a proposal that all vehicles that come in need to have valid PUC certification but I don't remember it being ever enforced.
- No honking, overtaking or rash/inconsiderate driving of any kind. A lot of the employees have overseas driving exposure and on the company's property we get our chance to pretend we're in a first-world country! Am surprised at how many drivers stop to let pedestrians cross, for example. See the same driver 5 minutes later and he's likely to be running down old grandmas
noopster is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th May 2016, 19:36   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Interesting indeed. I ve driven about in Florida quite a bit. Orlando, Miami, Key West, Everglades, Daytona etc - and I generally have a habit of reversing and parking in such a way as to facilitate a "quick getaway" from the place I m parked at, for example at a Restaurant or a Strip Mall or so. And many's the time I ve parked with the car front facing outward and the rear to the Wall. I have never until now, been accosted or told off for this by anyone at all.

Interesting indeed. I ve driven about in Florida quite a bit. Orlando, Miami, Key West, Everglades, Daytona etc - and I generally have a habit of reversing and parking in such a way as to facilitate a "quick getaway", in a manner of speaking, from the place I m parked at, for example at a Restaurant or Gas Station Convenience Store or a Strip Mall or so. And many's the time I ve parked with the car front facing outward and the rear to some sort of Wall. I have never until now, been accosted or told off for this by anyone at all.
Dear shankar.balan,

I know an American citizen who asked me why I was parking my car 'with the exhaust to the wall?'. I explained the logic of 'quick get away'. He liked the logic. He told me he used to do that in USA. But once he got fined for it, he stopped. So, maybe you are lucky and did not get caught. However, I would suggest you to look up the exact law there and then take care.

Girish Mahajan
GKMahajan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2016, 12:26   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Interesting indeed. I ve driven about in Florida quite a bit. Orlando, Miami, Key West, Everglades, Daytona etc - and I generally have a habit of reversing and parking in such a way as to facilitate a "quick getaway" from the place I m parked at, for example at a Restaurant or a Strip Mall or so. And many's the time I ve parked with the car front facing outward and the rear to the Wall. I have never until now, been accosted or told off for this by anyone at all.

Interesting indeed. I ve driven about in Florida quite a bit. Orlando, Miami, Key West, Everglades, Daytona etc - and I generally have a habit of reversing and parking in such a way as to facilitate a "quick getaway", in a manner of speaking, from the place I m parked at, for example at a Restaurant or Gas Station Convenience Store or a Strip Mall or so. And many's the time I ve parked with the car front facing outward and the rear to some sort of Wall. I have never until now, been accosted or told off for this by anyone at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKMahajan View Post
Dear shankar.balan,

I know an American citizen who asked me why I was parking my car 'with the exhaust to the wall?'. I explained the logic of 'quick get away'. He liked the logic. He told me he used to do that in USA. But once he got fined for it, he stopped. So, maybe you are lucky and did not get caught. However, I would suggest you to look up the exact law there and then take care.

Girish Mahajan
I work for a leading American oil and gas exploration giant and they have this rule of compulsorily parking the car with front facing outwards throughout the world so that one can drive away easily in case of an emergency and if any employee drives to work without wearing his seatbelts, its instant termination.
rakesh_r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2016, 13:31   #124
Senior - BHPian

Re: Corporates & their weird rules for employee vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
I heard from someone that a Tata motors office at some particular location allows only Tata cars to be parked inside the premises.
Cars of other brands are supposed to be parked outside!

I think this is more weird than your friend's experience with L&T!
This is definitely autocratic employee management and in my honest opinion, a bit extreme. Let's not forget that Mr. Tata himself enjoys driving a Ferrari and uses an S Class for business travel. I do understand he's got a few Tatas in his stable, but that's not the point.

Based on my experience at the Nissan manufacturing facility in the UK, I found there was no restriction on the type of cars employees drove. I've found the parking lot filled with Fiestas and Meganes and of course a large number of Micras, Jukes and Qashqais. The employees were given the option to want a Nissan rather than being handed down one. Just my thought and no offence.
swiftdiesel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2016, 18:09   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsk View Post
OT: Regarding compulsory use of seat belts; I never understood why it should be compulsory within the city limits?
. However, within the city limits the average will be about 20Kmph and here insisting on wearing a seat belt is more of a irritant.
Mate, I disagree. Let me tell you an incident which happened a few days back.

The scene was in Crowded narrow lanes of Bangalore (Near KR Market), where the max. speed you can ever hope to go is not more than 20kmph

Myself and my friend was going in his car - I was sitting in the front passenger seat, he was driving. When we got into the car, as I do it strictly when I drive, I fastened my seat belt. I also implored my friend to fasten his seatbelts - he refused.

It being his car and he driving, I told him this much - "boss, if you are in my car OR if i'm driving, you will jolly well wear the seat belt or we don't move.."

His exact words " come on man, No cops here.. we have to go to the next road only few 100 meters.. who wants to wear the seat belt" he also proceeded to give gyan , what a pain in the wrong places this rule is, blah blah.

2 mins later, while going at a speed of not more than 10kmph, to stop hitting a cycle which swerved suddenly, a sudden break, one whomp sound, and I see my friend bleeding from his forehead - he had banged his head badly on the windshield. The windshield also slightly cracked. Fortunately, he didn't suffer any serious injury.

Thanks to wearing seatbelt, all i experienced was a rude jerk!

Hopefully, my friend would have learned the lesson!

my absolute rule - seat belts ON mandatory before even you start the car. This is for the front passengers, though I wish I can make my back seat passengers also adhere to this, but I can't convince them always!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Do this.
After that. Run at the same speed on the ground and run into a wall. We can then debate whether at 15kmph seatbelt is useful or not.
+1 - That's a nice one, tsk! , but according to me No debate is required - seats belts mandatory, period!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeroamit View Post
Seat belts are helpful always whether you are driving at 20 KMPH or 100 KMPH. It may be irritant for newbie but for a person who care about life, it shouldn't be.
Absolutely!

Last edited by haria : 21st May 2016 at 18:34.
haria is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st May 2016, 20:54   #126
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsk View Post
OT: Regarding compulsory use of seat belts; I never understood why it should be compulsory within the city limits?

I understand that seat belt is absolutely needed when one drives on the highways where the average speed is 60+Kmph. However, within the city limits the average will be about 20Kmph and here insisting on wearing a seat belt is more of a irritant.
Hope you are able to come back and tell us about it if you ever bang your head at 20kph, let alone average 20kph.

Please People! Give up thinking of city driving as being safer than other kinds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haria View Post
Mate, I disagree. Let me tell you an incident which happened a few days back. ... ... ...
My experience was as the passenger, many years back, and years before seat-belt wearing became compulsory in UK. It can't have been much more than walking speed when my friend hit the brake. He was only just moving off, as someone cut in front of him.

All I got was a slight bruise, but I've been wearing that belt ever since.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 13th June 2016, 18:19   #127
BHPian

There is no rule for driving inside Ecospace. Its free for all. Anyone can drive in any direction. I have seen cabbies,bikers, private cars overspeeding and driving on pavements/footpath inside ecospace and pritech park.

Heck one of my colleague was knocked down by an overspeeding cabbie in lower basement. Poor guy's arm fractured. What is the need to overspeed in lower basement?

Also no one checks for id card, u can flash anything with just a tag and get inside. I guess thats why it was a convenient place to hide a merc of a loan defaulter which was supposed to be recovered by bank.

http://www.bangaloremirror.com/banga...w/47462584.cms
kiran_cr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2016, 10:34   #128
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Corporates & their weird rules for employee vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkghai View Post
We also have DRL or parking light ON at all times.
Ridiculous rule ; expect cranking issues on cars with older batteries if parking lights are left on.
Old 14th June 2016, 15:45   #129
BHPian

Vigsom, I think nkghai meant that the lights should be on at all times while the car is in motion. Obviously they would be off when parked.
Old 14th June 2016, 16:22   #130
Senior - BHPian

Corporates & their idiosyncratic rules for employee vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by haria View Post

Absolutely!

Some years ago one of our team bhp member's Punto got rear-ended at a traffic signal by a truck. He and his wife were wearing seat belts and that saved them. So it's important to wear even if you are doing 0 kmph.
Pancham is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2016, 18:00   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandrda View Post

Another rule which I came across in Toronto, Canada was that the car which arrive early have to park the furthest from the office entrance and the car should always be facing the drive way. This is to enable employee who arrive late to park the car closest to the office entrance and rush.

Regards
I have also experienced this in Japan. Not only in office but where ever you go you have to park like that so that the person who comes in late gets to park easily.
Old 14th June 2016, 18:19   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashdel View Post
I work for a healthcare company in Noida and I faced a some what similar issue during the odd even season in Delhi.
You have then defeated the purpose of odd even rule. Companies should only give out 1 sticker. This will make the employees to car pool or use public transport.

Last edited by ampere : 14th June 2016 at 18:26.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks