Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2016, 15:47   #1
BHPian

Corporates & their idiosyncratic rules for employee vehicles

I want to dedicate this thread to highlight the weird rules enforced by companies for allowing employee vehicles in the premises. I have searched the forum for such topic but could not find any. Mods please delete if thread is duplicate.

One of my friend works in L&T Infotech and recently had to change the registration of his car. Reason? He needed a vehicle sticker and L&T Infotech does not issue a sticker unless employee owns the car . This rule applies to both 2 wheeler and 4 wheeler. Now he has become second owner of his own car. Also he cannot take any other family vehicle to office.

Many complaints from employees couldn't change this rule and reply from management remained unchanged; "It is for security of company and employees". I am not blaming the management because they might have experienced something which made them to enforce such decision.

Another rule in the company that you must park your car in such a way that it faces the road in between. It cannot be parked in a position in which headlights are facing the compound wall.

Did other bhpians also come across such strange rules anytime? Request you all to share your experiences.

Last edited by turbodude : 9th May 2016 at 15:49.
turbodude is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 9th May 2016, 17:00   #2
NPX
BHPian

re: Corporates & their idiosyncratic rules for employee vehicles

In January, my graduation college in Gurgaon got overwhelmed by the Delhi govt odd even scheme and they too decided to implement this scheme.

So, the faculty and other staff was allowed to bring their odd numbered cars only on odd days and even numbered on even days. On off days you can park outside the college if you want.

Interestingly, they are still following odd even rule in the college and lady faculty and lady staff are exempted from this odd even rule.

Real reason behind implementing this scheme was the less available parking space and ever increasing number of cars inside the college premises.

Note from Mod : Post edited. Please use proper capitalization. The first letter of every sentence should be capitalized. Do see THIS THREAD before continuing. Thanks.

Last edited by GTO : 10th May 2016 at 14:48. Reason: Please take a look at the mod note that has been added to the end of your post.
NPX is offline   (3) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 9th May 2016, 17:11   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Corporates & their weird rules for employee vehicles

I heard from someone that a Tata motors office at some particular location allows only Tata cars to be parked inside the premises.
Cars of other brands are supposed to be parked outside!

I think this is more weird than your friend's experience with L&T!
saket77 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th May 2016, 17:14   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
I heard from someone that a Tata motors office at some particular location allows only Tata cars to be parked inside the premises.
Cars of other brands are supposed to be parked outside!

I think this is more weird than your friend's experience with L&T!
It should've been the other way round!

To somebody who is passing by, it would look like no Tata Motors employee owns a Tata car.
SmartCat is online now   (42) Thanks
Old 9th May 2016, 17:22   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodude View Post
I want to dedicate this thread to highlight the weird rules enforced by companies for allowing employee vehicles in the premises. I have searched the forum for such topic but could not find any. Mods please delete if thread is duplicate.

Many complaints from employees couldn't change this rule and reply from management remained unchanged; "It is for security of company and employees". I am not blaming the management because they might have experienced something which made them to enforce such decision.

Another rule in the company that you must park your car in such a way that it faces the road in between. It cannot be parked in a position in which headlights are facing the compound wall.

Did other bhpians also come across such strange rules anytime? Request you all to share your experiences.
Oh Yes.

My company will check all your papers before giving you the sticker. The car has to be in the company or your name for you to get the sticker. They even send you a reminder one week before your insurance expires otherwise no entry.

We also park car the way you pointed out. In case of emergency egress is easier if all park facing towards the road, otherwise there have been cases of delays.

We also have DRL or parking light ON at all times and a speed limit of 20 KMPH otherwise a Rs 1000/ fine.

Last edited by nkghai : 9th May 2016 at 17:23.
nkghai is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 9th May 2016, 17:24   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

See this from a safety point of view. Parking the car facing the road/gate will enable quicker exit than say reversing the car. It's a good practice to reverse the car into the parking slot. While going out (incase of some emergency), you'll not waste time.
blackwasp is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th May 2016, 17:26   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post

To somebody who is passing by, it would look like no Tata Motors employee owns a Tata car.

I wish Tata reads that. Thats such an unfortunate outcome.
And, I think, Maruti also follows this. Ive seen in the gurgaon factory, that non-maruti's are outside.

Quote:

One of my previous employers used to implement this in its underground parkings to eliminate hanky-panky of any kind.

Last edited by mayankk : 9th May 2016 at 17:44.
mayankk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2016, 17:38   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
TVS two wheeler factory in Hosur TN has similar guideline. Only TVS manufactured two wheelers are allowed inside the factory campus, two wheelers of other manufacturers have to be parked outside.

Last edited by GTO : 10th May 2016 at 14:50. Reason: Typo
mpksuhas is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th May 2016, 17:41   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
See this from a safety point of view. Parking the car facing the road/gate will enable quicker exit than say reversing the car. It's a good practice to reverse the car into the parking slot. While going out (in case of some emergency), you'll not waste time
Not sure about the time saving here. It takes the same time to actually park in that position and Time wise its all the same. Must be aesthetics for the company when they look at their parking lot. The best i could think of is avoiding time delay for other employees while one is trying to reverse for ever.

I like that companies follow proper paper work, seat belt, speed limits etc. Only problem i have seen is employees simply misusing the speed limits and driving at speeds that will save them exactly 6-7 seconds from the safe speed limit recommended. Science wont lie, but still these employees making a fool of themselves. I have personally had altercations inside campus with such intelligent creations.

Last edited by VW2010 : 9th May 2016 at 17:43.
Old 10th May 2016, 09:10   #10
Senior - BHPian

Sure is weird.

I had an argument with one of the admins in my office parking lot for the most ridiculous rule they had.
My office building has 4 levels of parking including the ground floor. I prefer parking in the ground level and since I came in late , and was on the two wheeler, the lot was filled. All I had to do was take a round in the basement and take a small turn which is hardly few meters long to get back to the one way and head up to the upper level.
At the turn is one of the security who has been drilled with what is right and what is wrong according to the stupid rules some admin came up with.

He doesn't let me take the turn saying I have to go out and go around the building, which is not much, but I know the security outside the building won't let me do that either and I will have to get out of the compound, hit the road and go further and take a U turn. I was in no mood to do that in the afternoon heat.
I tried making the security understand that it is just a few meters and this is not a highway that I am going in the opposite direction and there are no vehicles. Knowing how they are programmed to repeat the same lines, I started losing my temper. By then an admin comes out and says the same thing. By now, I lost my cool and tell him you guys come out with some brilliant rules and expect us to follow it. Gave him a mouthful, got down from the bike, pushed it a couple of feet , jumped on and went my way.

Sometimes I don't understand why these guys can't get it.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 11th May 2016 at 10:14. Reason: spelling corrected
tharian is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 10th May 2016, 10:44   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
TVS two wheeler factory in Hosur TN has similar guideline. Only TVS manufactured two wheelers are allowed inside the factory campus, two wheelers of other manufactures have to be parked outside.
Actually they do not allow visitor's vehicle inside the campus even if it is a TVS vehicle. They have a dedicated area outside the campus for parking where only TVS vehicles are allowed. Non TVS vehicles are supposed to be parked on the shoulder of the road.

Last edited by girimajiananth : 10th May 2016 at 10:52.
girimajiananth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th May 2016, 10:55   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Not sure about the time saving here. It takes the same time to actually park in that position and Time wise its all the same. Must be aesthetics for the company when they look at their parking lot. The best i could think of is avoiding time delay for other employees while one is trying to reverse for ever.
The point is, it saves time while taking the car out. Net effect (ie. Parking plus taking the car out) might be the same in either case. But during an emergency taking the cars out would be faster if parked with front end facing the road. That is what they are trying to achieve I believe.
vibbs is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th May 2016, 11:06   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Not sure about the time saving here. It takes the same time to actually park in that position and Time wise its all the same.
I always follow this rule personally. Always keep your vehicles ready to go. In case of unforeseen events, you don't want to reverse and adjust the vehicles before hitting the road. So my bike and car are always (whenever possible) parked facing the road.
ani_meher is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th May 2016, 12:03   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post

Well it's not only limited to employees and cars, when we have to send export containers to one of their plants in Rudrapur, UK, it is a must that the carrying trailer is TATA made.

Last edited by GTO : 10th May 2016 at 14:52. Reason: Typo
mr_hardcore is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th May 2016, 12:25   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

A friend who works in shell told me that it is compulsory to have a car with ABS & Airbags to be able to get car to office and also security guard won't let you in or out, until you are wearing a seat belt.

Pretty nice i should say, it's a different story that my friend had to buy a new car because his old car did not have ABS or Airbags :P
AtheK is online now   (13) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks