Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2016, 10:16   #1
Team-BHP Support

Gujarat: No toll for private cars & small vehicles

As per TOI, starting this Independence day there will be no Toll on State & National Highways within Gujarat for private cars. Don't know if this will be applicable till polls are over or extended further Gujarat government plans to reimburse highway contractors for the lost revenue.

Quote..
CM Anandiben Patel on Saturday announced that cars and small vehicles, including three-wheelers, will be exempted from paying toll tax on state as well as national highways in Gujarat from August 15.

http://epaperbeta.timesofindia.com/A...31072016001080

Last edited by Turbanator : 31st July 2016 at 10:19.
Turbanator is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 31st July 2016, 10:32   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Gujarat: No toll for private cars & small vehicles

While this is good for motorists as it brings down travel costs, such poll-inspired decisions are never good, from an economic standpoint. Removal of toll shouldn't lead to non-development of roads, or maintenance of existing ones.

Incidentally, the Govt. in the state and the Centre is the same, so hopefully, there's no passing the buck on development issues.

On a related note, what about the yellow sticker rule? Does that still hold? The first memory I have of entering Baroda is being fined for not having one on the car.
libranof1987 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2016, 10:38   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
As per TOI, starting this Independence day there will be no Toll on State & National Highways within Gujarat for private cars. Don't know if this will be applicable till polls are over or extended further Gujarat government plans to reimburse highway contractors for the lost revenue.

Quote..
CM Anandiben Patel on Saturday announced that cars and small vehicles, including three-wheelers, will be exempted from paying toll tax on state as well as national highways in Gujarat from August 15.
It is very clear that private small vehicles will be exempt on State Highways. There is no clear statement available on National Highway part. All leading daily's of Gujarat has different views on the same.

15 August will bring final clarity.

As far as my case is concerned, saving of INR 1000/month is guaranteed.
zalaps is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2016, 10:42   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalaps View Post
It is very clear that private small vehicles will be exempt on State Highways. There is no clear statement available on National Highway part. All leading daily's of Gujarat has different views on the same
The article states

Quote:
When asked about jurisdiction of the state government on toll tax collected on national highways, he said, “The government is aware that the toll booths on national highways are not in its jurisdiction, but state government will compensate the contractor of toll booths on national highways.“
You can find out for sure once it is implemented!

As I've seen on some NH stretches in Maharashtra once toll was removed, the toll booth structure existed, and attendants were only registering the no. of cars passing through.
Old 31st July 2016, 10:44   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
here is no clear statement available on National Highway part.
I think it's very clear in the news , they plan to reimburse contractors on NH which should not be difficult. In my opinion toll from commercial vehicles alone should be enough given the number of such vehicles on these routes & Highway ministry should think of extending this elsewhere. They can easily increase commercial tolls by 10-20 % to cover such losses.

-----------

There are around 50 toll booths in the state. Government officials said the initial estimate of loss in revenue was between Rs 80 crore and Rs 100 crore.But the decision to include national highways in the scheme will increase losses to Rs 250 crore per annum.

There are nearly 31 state highways with a total length of 19,761 km, while 12 national highways passing through the state cover 4,032 km. The officialS, however, were not able to clarify as to how they plan to make up for the loss.

Transport minister Vijay Rupani said, “The tax exemption will be applicable to all toll booths in the state, including those on national highways.“

When asked about jurisdiction of the state government on toll tax collected on national highways, he said, “The government is aware that the toll booths on national highways are not in its jurisdiction, but state government will compensate the contractor of toll booths on national highways.“
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2016, 12:58   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Innovative way to please motorists before elections? I think if they have surplus money ( which is anyways from our taxes) then they should use it for social causes that are of more importance. On one hand the PM is all about encouraging people to give up subsidies, and his counterpart ( and may I call prodigy) is starting a new, totally unwarranted, subsidy.
drmohitg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2016, 14:43   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
This is a great news for the road users. I daily travel through Chennai Bangalore highway and it pains a lot to see non-discreet politicians with party flags in their gas guzzling SUVs not paying a single penny at toll gates and a common government employee like me has to shell out toll charges for shabbily maintained roads by NHAI contractors. The cars which are registered within the district are also supposed to pay a toll. Kudos to the Anandiben Government in Gujarat for taking this bold step. She should have made it mandatory that tolls from Politicians and VIPs to be collected. Because, the common man pays his taxes diligently unlike the evaders!
MDED is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2016, 15:03   #8
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Innovative way to please motorists before elections? I think if they have surplus money ( which is anyways from our taxes) then they should use it for social causes that are of more importance. On one hand the PM is all about encouraging people to give up subsidies, and his counterpart ( and may I call prodigy) is starting a new, totally unwarranted, subsidy.

Social causes like ? Increase reservations ? give out free food ? create employment oppurtunities like 100 days minimum employment where you just have to go and sign and not work ?

I work hard pay my tax by way of income tax , sales tax , service tax to various establishments , property tax , water tax , surcharge on electricity . The middle class in India is taxed very heavily . I normally do not look at bills , it is like i want something I buy it , end of it . Last week , I went to buy a pizza and I was horrified to find out the taxes on a pizza . Almost 25% . I would not mind paying so much of taxes if they went towards infrastructure , development of cottage industries . I just hate it when it goes to mindless reservation , appeasement /bribing of voters etc .

It is a good move by the Gujarat govt and I wish the central govt does something to remove the tolls . Most of the tolls are managed by goondas and the NHAI is much more of a goonda organisation . There have been so many complaints on the Chennai -Bangalore highway especially the Sriperumbudur stretch .They do not even bother to take down the complaint . Similar is the one on the Chennai -Tirupati road . The contractor just increased the height of the old road , built a couple of bridges and started collecting toll , even though the road is yet to be completed .

We already pay the highest of taxes on fuel , spares , servicing . On some of the stretches , we end up paying more toll than for Diesel .I do understand that we pay for construction /maintenance of the road .

Last edited by Eddy : 7th August 2016 at 03:26. Reason: Removed a potentially offensive remark
greatmana2000 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 31st July 2016, 16:28   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatmana2000 View Post
Social causes like ? Increase reservations ? give out free food ? create employment oppurtunities like 100 days minimum employment where you just have to go and sign and not work ?
Agree with your points and i share the same frustration. The honest tax payers of our country (read as working and middle class) are completely ignored by our government. There should be some benefits for them. Whenever i see service tax, swatch bharat tax, education cess etc etc, i feel like the Government is looting us on top of the high amount of tax we already paid. The real development is when we see the taxing comes down. Hope and wish we will reach there one day.

Last edited by Eddy : 7th August 2016 at 03:27. Reason: Quoted post edited
Old 31st July 2016, 23:22   #10
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Superb news. More on account of the time saved in lines on the highways plus the fuel saved in not waiting.
Old 1st August 2016, 00:00   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatmana2000 View Post
Social causes like improving the health standards, public infrastructure, constructing schools, hospitals, even public toilets. The list can go on. All of these need money right?
drmohitg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st August 2016, 11:38   #12
Senior - BHPian

Is this for other state registered vehicles too? I have a TN registered Fiesta being used here in GJ for the last few months, and I have to pay INR 85 every single day for commuting to office. This would be a big saving for me if they exempt my car
Old 1st August 2016, 11:42   #13
Senior - BHPian

MH also has similar rule passed rt? Only few toll booths now collect toll, rest of MH has no toll for private cars, correct me if I am wrong.
neoonwheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2016, 11:55   #14
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Social causes like improving the health standards, public infrastructure, constructing schools, hospitals, even public toilets. The list can go on. All of these need money right?
Unless we have a proper audit system and a public watchdog , I would not trust any schemes . A mechanism for effective delivery must be in place before allocation of funds happen . Even with private BOT roads , the roads are in such a bad condition and the mechanism for supervision , maintenance is not yet there .

Even a simple toll no . based complaint mechanism is not yet there as far as I know
Old 1st August 2016, 11:55   #15
BANNED

Let us accept that in many regards GJ is a developed state, so the norms for UP, Bihar & co are not applicable there. I hope all states can eventually plan to do away with tolls for smaller vehicles. In UP we are busier trying to handle various kinds of mafiosi, incl the Sand Mining ones, who are ruining all our roads, by gross overloading.
sgiitk is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks