Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2018, 20:27   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Skoda Octavia: Cruise Control malfunction! Mumbai-born UK-based driver dead

Cruise control stuck on a Mercedes C Class in China this time at 120 kph and driver drives for nearly 100 kms non stop after authorities cleared roads and toll gates for him ! Mercedes Benz then apparently gained remote access to the car and finally brought it to a halt.

Source : http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...uck-75mph.html

It is quite unbelievable that no one was injured and the driver managed to drive for nearly an hour at 120 kph non stop like the move Speed.
Santoshbhat is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 18th March 2018, 22:15   #92
BHPian

I am shocked that in the above incident, the customer service team had to remotely stop the vehicle! I mean, as a driver, being helpless in that situation is quite scary. While the engineers can always point to statistical probabilities and say it is almost impossible for the cruise control system to fail like that, when it does, even if it is literally 1 in a million, it could be catastrophic. There should always be a mechanical override for any electronic system. I suppose manufacturers don't want to do this, as it would make it look like an admission that their electronics are prone to failure. Nevertheless, it should be mandated by regulations that there be a redundant control to disengage cruise control in case the electronics fail.
Old 19th March 2018, 01:16   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

I am extremely skeptical about the whole story. For the last decade there have been numerous stories about drivers not being able to disconnect the cruise control. As far as I know, none of these stories was ever properly validated. In several cases the manufacturers found nothing or at best a doormat that made the pedal stuck. I cant understand why pressing down as hard as you can on the brakes wouldn't slow him down. Not sure about this model but cant you just turn off the ignition, put the gearbox on neutral etc.

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 19th March 2018, 08:11   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Cruise control stuck on a Mercedes C Class in China this time at 120 kph and driver drives for nearly 100 kms non stop after authorities cleared roads and toll gates for him ! Mercedes Benz then apparently gained remote access to the car and finally brought it to a halt.

Source : http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...uck-75mph.html
Times like these wish that it was good old cable and pulley throttle system. Wonder if the Merc engineers used teamviewer to kill the offending program before it killed the driver
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2018, 10:08   #95
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
I am extremely skeptical about the whole story. I cant understand why pressing down as hard as you can on the brakes wouldn't slow him down. Not sure about this model but cant you just turn off the ignition, put the gearbox on neutral etc.
Not familiar with the insides of a cruise control system, but I too am wondering why would just using the brakes not work in such cases? Or downshifting and using engine braking? Any tech/mech guys can shed some light please.
Old 20th March 2018, 12:23   #96
Team-BHP Support

Weird incident, and a lot of it doesn't make sense (plus it's reported on DailyMail!).

Four things:

1) The brakes will always be able to overpower the engine. (More details & real-world tests in this great podcast)

2) I assume this car would have Brake-Throttle Override?

3) Mercedes claims they did NOT control the car / cancel cruise control in any way. I tend to believe them.

4) The article says this guy was an amateur racer. Strange that he wouldn't be able to think of ways to stop the vehicle.
Rehaan is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2018, 13:12   #97
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

In another case.

Just received this on WhatsApp.

Have no further info at this point of time.
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Octavia: Cruise Control malfunction! Mumbai-born UK-based driver dead-20181014_130915.jpg  

Old 15th October 2018, 16:25   #98
BHPian

https://www.thenational.ae/uae/cruis...ts-say-1.90539

Drivers whose cruise control becomes stuck should keep calm and manoeuvre into the lane with the least traffic, then shift down gears and brake, experts say.

“Drivers should try to disengage the drive by shifting the gear lever to neutral, and then using the brakes to slow the vehicle down and stop in a safe place,” said Phil Clarke, a principal road safety consultant at Transport Research Laboratory UAE.

“One of the problems is that people panic and don’t think rationally. At low speeds the brakes may even be sufficient to override the drive, and when the vehicle is stopped the ignition can be turned off.”

Last week an Emirati driver’s cruise control became stuck at 120kph while he was travelling on the Kalba-Maliha Road towards Sharjah. Patrols were sent to clear the road ahead of him.

To stop the car, a police vehicle pulled in front of it and slowed down. The runaway car bumped it repeatedly, slowing each time until it stopped.
proton is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks