Team-BHP - Ola Insights: Average speed & traffic spots of the big Indian cities
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Street Experiences (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street-experiences/)
-   -   Ola Insights: Average speed & traffic spots of the big Indian cities (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street-experiences/183123-ola-insights-average-speed-traffic-spots-big-indian-cities.html)

Who'd have better access to such stats than Ola!

Urban India travels at an average speed of merely 22.7 kmph. Chennai, Kolkata & Bangalore are the slowest, while Delhi-NCR & Hyderabad are the fastest.

Delhi & Mumbai get to work the earliest! Hyderabadis are the last (late night biryani?).

Ola Insights: Average speed & traffic spots of the big Indian cities-1.png

Ola Insights: Average speed & traffic spots of the big Indian cities-2.png

Ola Insights: Average speed & traffic spots of the big Indian cities-3.png

Ola Insights: Average speed & traffic spots of the big Indian cities-4.png

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line!

Bangaloreans won't be surprised. Silk Board Junction traffic jam is a staple for Facebook joke creators & Whatsapp meme makers.

Ola Insights: Average speed & traffic spots of the big Indian cities-cn1fxedvmaaoq_m.jpg

Ola Insights: Average speed & traffic spots of the big Indian cities-x7w9s.jpg

Ola Insights: Average speed & traffic spots of the big Indian cities-ce8ul57usae0qid.jpg

Ola Insights: Average speed & traffic spots of the big Indian cities-mainqimg5989c5e8fe9b5bf436ed07779251ed0fc.jpg

- Guess the 'Office standard time for Chennai' is wrongly mentioned as 09:45 instead of 08:45 from the way it is mentioned in the chart.
- Apart from Bangalore and Hyderabad all cities have their airport in their top destinations. A bane of having greenfield airport far away from city I guess.

Well, well, well! What I would like to know is who are these guys travelling at an average 20.4kph in Bangalore. :p My average speed for the office commute in my own car is around 10 kph to 11kph.:Frustrati So should I shift to Ola to reach office faster?

Also what is surprising is that the Whitefield belt does not figure in the Top 5 pick-up and drop location for Bangalore. I thought most of the cabbies concentrated here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpksuhas (Post 4122277)
- Guess the 'Office standard time for Chennai' is wrongly mentioned as 09:45 instead of 08:45 from the way it is mentioned in the chart.
- Apart from Bangalore and Hyderabad all cities has airport in their top destinations. A bane of having greenfield airport far away from city I guess.

How did you deduce from the chart that Chennai office time is incorrect?

Bombay's airport is in the heart of the city, but the steep parking charges just makes it easier for ppl to hail a cab rather than have their friends/family pick them up.

I find it hard to believe that average speed in chennai is less than for bangalore!

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenhorn (Post 4122305)
I find it hard to believe that average speed in chennai is less than for bangalore!

Me too. I still feel there is some issue with the samples taken. I always felt Chennai to be better off than Bangalore and Mumbai. IMO, Bangalore traffic jams are the worst. Really surprised with the information provided by Ola.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lalvaz (Post 4122299)
How did you deduce from the chart that Chennai office time is incorrect?

Bombay's airport is in the heart of the city, but the steep parking charges just makes it easier for ppl to hail a cab rather than have their friends/family pick them up.

UBER charges parking for both Domestic as well International terminals even for pickup. A steep 130 bucks for Domestic pickup over and above your fare, so maybe taking a private vehicle to airport pickup would be almost as expensive as hailing an uber

Regards
Dieseltuned

Few observation as a person who has been experiencing from both Chennai & Bangalore...
- Bangalore, when roads are empty or at Night/early morning, everyone literally fly be it a two wheeler or car (cabbies always), but in Chennai, they drive fast, but not as much as Bangalore
- Bangalore during traffic jam, walking is much faster & I'm damn sure about it, in Chennai, it's not the case, the slowest moving traffic moves atleast at 20 Kmph even during peak hours
- Even at odd times at night (post midnight), there's considerable traffic in Bangalore (although not as much as Mumbai, but considerably more) while Chennai roads gets considerable traffic only during specific time like 11:00/11:30 PM, 3:00/3:30 AM, 6:00/6:30 AM...thanks to EU & US shifts
- Another point to mention, Bangalore roads see much more cars while in Chennai, two-wheelers cling like houseflies on candy, so OLA's stats...

And like greenhorn & mpksuhas said, I'm confident the office time is 8:45 or worst case cannot be more than Bangalore. 7:30 AM Chennai suburbs & city overflow with two-wheelers, while the same 7:30 AM at notorious silkboard junction isn't that bad. Another 10 more minutes at silkboard, I'm doomed!! Bangalore most people come to office (except call centers) only after 9:30 & more except for few who try to beat traffic or come from long distance

The office timing of 9.44 a.m for Pune too seems incorrect. It could well be 9.15 a.m at the max. Correct me if I am wrong.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vivek95 (Post 4122415)
The office timing of 9.44 a.m for Pune too seems incorrect. It could well be 9.15 a.m at the max. Correct me if I am wrong.

I drive from NIBM road to Banner Highway for work. My office timings
start from 9. I generally reached between 9-9:15. Bit its on days when I get later than 9:30, that I encounter the maximum traffic. I would want to believe that 9:30 there on is the office timing for Pune.

The findings are by a cab aggregator and hence this must be backed up by their own data with couple of hundred thousand trips in each city over few months:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieseltuned (Post 4122365)
UBER charges parking for both Domestic as well International terminals even for pickup. A steep 130 bucks for Domestic pickup over and above your fare, so maybe taking a private vehicle to airport pickup would be almost as expensive as hailing an uber

Regards
Dieseltuned

You're right, but many passengers catch Ola from just outside the airport exit and save the 110 Rs. Also private vehicles pay Rs.130 for up to 30 mins, Rs. 200 for up to 2 hrs, 280 for up to 3 hrs etc..... Most flights do not land on time and every time I've gone to pick people up, I've usually spent more than an hour or so in waiting, so Ola/black & yellows are the preferred option for me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lalvaz (Post 4122503)
You're right, but many passengers catch Ola from just outside the airport exit and save the 110 Rs. Also private vehicles pay Rs.130 for up to 30 mins, Rs. 200 for up to 2 hrs, 280 for up to 3 hrs etc..... Most flights do not land on time and every time I've gone to pick people up, I've usually spent more than an hour or so in waiting, so Ola/black & yellows are the preferred option for me.

We took an Ola from Mumbai Airport to Pedder Road recently. They do not collect the parking charge from the customer. They do not charge the customer for the Toll on the sea link as well. I was surprised but that is what I experienced.