Primarily Uber 519 72.49%
Primarily Ola 128 17.88%
Both in equal measure 62 8.66%
Other service (please specify) 7 0.98%
Voters: 716. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2017, 10:31   #46
BHPian

Re: Uber vs Ola - Which do you prefer & why?

I used to be primarily a Ola person a year back before i tried Uber, primary reason being Uber app takes a lot of space compared to Ola. Now i use them in equal measure with a phone having higher storage. Whenever, am about to take a ride, I fire up both the apps and whichever gives me cheaper option I book that.

Customer service has been the same for both and most functionalities are similar. I haven't been abroad for a year now, but the last time I was in Manila, Uber didnt work saying "PAYTM does not work and cash payment not allowed" something like that.
saion666 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2017, 10:35   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlocked View Post

The guy in the video is trying to prove this is how Ola is cheating us! Showing surge prices to the customer having an expensive phone.

Legit?
Well it is technically possible but I feel like the guys in the video haven't done much on their side to come to such an outrageous conclusion. Surge pricing is afterall based on the demand for cabs rising and number of taxis in the area being able to service the demand, going down. Therefore there is bound to be a 'tipping point' where a user who has fired up the app just before demand values for cabs have been reached, will only have to pay the normal rates while a user who has fired up the app right after the demand values required to stick users with surge pricing has been met, will have to travel at the revised rates.

I would like to see if the case remains the same when they close the app, kill the task from the app drawer and then open it up again, this time first on the iphone and then on the cheaper moto g. That would make me a little more convinced. Until then it just seems like an absolutely baseless, outrageous and untested claim IMO

Last edited by IshaanIan : 26th May 2017 at 10:45.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2017, 10:36   #48
BHPian

Uber for sometime now. The experience was better than Ola but more importantly because I find the rides more economical. I have a Standard Chartered card and they give 20% cashback on Uber rides till September. Earlier it was without any T&C but now your monthly spends need to cross 8K. A very good deal as this is over and above any other coupons that Uber dishes out in between
rajesh1868 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2017, 11:00   #49
BHPian

First post here after being a long time silent observer of Team-BHP. 9 out of 10 times, I would pick Uber over Ola. The reasons I would Uber have been stated by most of the members here, nevertheless, I'd state them again - Cleaner, newer cars; better-behaved drivers; Slick app; Accurate Navigation; seamless cashless transactions (a big plus, I'm not a fan of cash transactions); more responsive customer care. I have used Uber extensively in Chennai, Bangalore, Delhi, and London and I've had a consistent experience throughout.

Plus, Uber's corporate profile works well, versus Ola's that doesn't.

In fact, Here's a very interesting blog backed by some brilliant statistics by a competitive intelligence startup called Kalagato: http://kalagato.com/blog/nl28.html on the Uber vs. Ola scenario.

Some insights from the blog are:

1. Uber on average is cheaper than Ola.
2. Uber tends to get used approximately 4.5 times per month per customer. While that number of Ola is significantly lower at just under 3 rides per customer per month.
3. People use Uber a lot more even for shorter trips (it is becoming a habit).

Note: I am in no way associated with Kalagato, I'm just a fan of their content.
Old 26th May 2017, 11:11   #50
BHPian

I primarily use Uber, opt for Ola only when there is surge in Uber or it is not available.

I prefer Uber because of the simple and fantastic app and better cars/ drivers. You feel really happy when you call up the driver and he acknowledges your call with a good morning!. Another plus is the personal and business profiles, it is very convenient when you receive the bills on your official mail ID. Ola on other hand is still rustic, their app looks old and drivers are not very courteous.

The thing that works in Ola's favour is their network. They have tapped in the smaller cities, for eg, in my hometown Raipur, you don't have any other option apart from Ola. So whenever my parents have to go out they have only two choices Ola or Auto. Uber still focuses on major cities.

I think because the Uber drivers are happy working with Uber, the customer experience one gets in Uber is far better than in Ola. I have spoken to many drivers and almost all of them admit that they receive their due from Uber on the scheduled day of the week. Whereas in Ola there are some issues related to driver payments. That's why majority of the time Ola drivers asks whether the payment is in cash or Ola money. It has happened a couple of times with me that the driver cancelled the ride because I was going to pay using Ola money.
Old 26th May 2017, 11:12   #51
BHPian

Primarily Uber:
1. Much Better Availability (1 or 2 minutes away in Powai even at odd hours)
2. Drivers drive well
3. Clean cars
4. Ease of payment through paytm (Ola drivers always ask over the phone whether I am paying in cash and that they would prefer that)
5. I feel that the rates are cheaper for Uber
Old 26th May 2017, 11:13   #52
BHPian

The umpteen bad experiences with Ola made me switch to Uber. Though previously i was an exclusive Ola user (supportive of an Indian enterprise philosophy) of approx 20 trips/month, but the constant niggles and I-give-2-hoots attitude made me explore Uber. Many a times the drivers don't turn up for the morning airport runs and that gave me anxiety and a peptic ulcer to go with it. The interface, experience, ease of using PayTM, and professionalism shown by Uber is exemplary when compared to Ola. I still hope if they (Ola) can improve i might be tempted to give them a 2nd try though....
docprashant is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2017, 11:14   #53
BHPian

Uber all the way! Uber by far provides better experience. The drive accepts the ride call and hence there is no question of he denying the ride. In Ola this is a rampant problem, the cab driver will ask the drop point and then make excuses if he does not want to go that way.
Old 26th May 2017, 11:21   #54
BHPian

Uber. Always.

Reasons are simple. Uber cars are much cleaner and better. Even when there is not surge pricing, uber turns out cheaper for similar category rides.

Twice ola cabs had non-functioning ACs and once their driver tried to take cash for the sealink.

Uber app is more user-friendly too.
Old 26th May 2017, 11:24   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Well it is technically possible but I feel like the guys in the video haven't done much on their side to come to such an outrageous conclusion. Surge pricing is afterall based on the demand for cabs rising and number of taxis in the area being able to service the demand, going down. Therefore there is bound to be a 'tipping point' where a user who has fired up the app just before demand values for cabs have been reached, will only have to pay the normal rates while a user who has fired up the app right after the demand values required to stick users with surge pricing has been met, will have to travel at the revised rates.

I would like to see if the case remains the same when they close the app, kill the task from the app drawer and then open it up again, this time first on the iphone and then on the cheaper moto g. That would make me a little more convinced. Until then it just seems like an absolutely baseless, outrageous and untested claim IMO
I am not saying that what these guys are saying is true, but I would beg to differ with your theory on 2 points.

1. There were a lot of cabs showing available.
2. Most importantly, the app refreshes real time. That's why when there are no cabs showing, it reflects immediately when one is available and then disappears again if you are not quick enough.
Altocumulus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2017, 11:31   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
I am not saying that what these guys are saying is true, but I would beg to differ with your theory on 2 points.

1. There were a lot of cabs showing available.
2. Most importantly, the app refreshes real time. That's why when there are no cabs showing, it reflects immediately when one is available and then disappears again if you are not quick enough.
That may be true but many times cabs that are shown as available quickly disappear one you actually try booking (has happened to me while connected to airtel 4G and using OLA and it has happened to me while using Uber as well). Even in the video the Moto G was not showing one of the cabs that the iphone was showing so it clearly indicates that the refresh rates are not as 'real time' as would be ideal. Another case in point being that many times when you book a cab, you are assigned one that was never shown to be in your immediate vicinity at all, so then what happened to all those cabs that were shown active on the homescreen? They all got instantly booked as one is about to book a cab in real time?
Secondly, the demand could just be based on number of active users logged in to the app at any given point in time. Not number of users who have actually booked cabs considering surge pricing is a warning given before user books the cab itself. This would also make more economic sense for the company to follow as they are guaranteed surge pricing will hit users faster.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 26th May 2017 at 11:49.
Old 26th May 2017, 12:07   #57
BHPian

UBER !

I've missed 2 early morning flights due to OLA cabs. Both times the customer care washed off their hands citing they only coordinate cabs and actual arrival of cabs and their punctuality is not their headache. I was so angry at such handling I decided to switch to UBER and never have I ever any trouble with them. In fact I've convinced all my family members and couple of my friends to switch to UBER.

I feel they are very prompt in their reporting times and always I've been kept informed if there would be a delay. There is a lot of emphasis on keeping cabs tidy and drivers being courteous. Moreover, they complain a lot less about their employers than OLA.

Plus its so cool to say .."I took UBER today.."

Last edited by no_boundaries : 26th May 2017 at 12:15.
Old 26th May 2017, 12:14   #58
Senior - BHPian

Uber - hands down. From my personal experience -

1. Better cars
2. Better drivers
3. Better fares/promos
4. Better app
5. Better service in case of any issues
Old 26th May 2017, 12:18   #59
BHPian

Voted for Uber.
  1. At first, it was due to their integration with Paytm. Hasslefree cashless travel. No toll payment issue as well.
  2. Their drivers are relatively well mannered.
  3. Their GPS. Driver always reaches ~ 50mtr near your location. There have been instances when he even entered the society and was waiting right there.
  4. Their support! Overcharging, waiting charges, whatever is charged for extra and you raise an issue, it is refunded/resolved asap.
With Ola, I have faced too many hassles, so stopped completely. I will list down a few instances:
  1. Once, driver called me and confirmed where I have to go (Navi Mumbai). He said okay, will be there in 5. I waited, he came, saw me and just drove past me and then cancelled. Still not sure if it was my face or Navi Mumbai.
  2. Booked from Navi Mumbai for Viviana. He called & asked where I have to go, said okay he will pick in 5. He arrived, I went down. Saw the car standing there. Nobody in the Car! He was actually standing right next to the car near a Tree with phone in the hand, on silent. He was looking at us the whole time while we lost 15 mins. Later, when we strolled away from the Car, he quietly sat and zoomed off. Amusing.
  3. Numerous instances of drivers cancelling due to the destination, Belapur, Navi Mumbai. Even Justin Beiber chose Nerul to Lip Sync, don't know what's wrong with cabbies.
  4. Once, a young bloke (driving really rash), just rolled down his window and spat his paan/gutkha. I was sitting behind him with windows rolled down, you can imagine my plight.

So many instances right from racist drivers to perverts, abusive ones and what not. Just stopped using Ola.
Also, I take Uber Pool only when I am not in a hurry, no meetings, no train/flight to catch. Good city darshan one can have if luck not in favour.

Last edited by driveanddrive : 26th May 2017 at 12:21. Reason: Addition
Old 26th May 2017, 12:22   #60
BHPian

I use cabs extensively, especially during peak traffics hours in chennai, approximately around 3000 INR per month, and i have attached cabs in my name in both platforms.
Based on this I feel that Uber is better of the two.
From Customer Point, Uber is more customer focused, the driver cant make cancellations as he wishes.OLA drivers can make any number of cancellations, so they dont accept long distance trips especially.
From partner point of view, I get more clarity on the trips and fare details of the passengers.Also Uber gives payments and statements on time compared to delays and hidden charges with OLA.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks