Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2019, 22:14   #16
BHPian

Re: Avis self-drive car rentals in India

I rented an Avis Crysta for the long weekend. The car is unclean, crumbs lying here and there. Has 75k on the odo. Driving up to the hills of Uttarakhand. Hope it holds up. Got it for about 20k rupees for 5 days, tank full.
Old 21st April 2019, 14:12   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovingeye View Post
I rented an Avis Crysta for the long weekend. The car is unclean, crumbs lying here and there. Has 75k on the odo. Driving up to the hills of Uttarakhand. Hope it holds up. Got it for about 20k rupees for 5 days, tank full.
All right! I'm back from the trip, with my tank full of clean mountain air. I'm happy to report that the Crysta drove flawlessly. Power was awesome and hill climb was a breeze. The only niggle was my steering pulling to the right - most probably because wheel balancing is due for the vehicle I got. "Power mode" transforms the Crysta into a beast.

Couple of tidbits - Avis delivers your rented car literally 24*7. The delivery guy was a little surprised I asked the car to be delivered the previous evening before my journey. He said - "if you need to car at 3 in the morning, someone will come and deliver it to you at that time".

All in all, I think I might try one of the other rental agencies next time, just to check if they score more on the cleanliness front. I am overall a little surprised that Avis does not pay attention to keeping their cars clean in India, considering in the US, they pay humongous amount of attention to this front.

PS: The speed governor is an annoyance. There were stretches where we could have gone comfortably at 100 KMPH, but that was not to be.

Last edited by Samurai : 21st April 2019 at 19:47. Reason: typo
rovingeye is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2019, 16:48   #18
BHPian

Yet again we rented a Crysta for our one-day trip to Sakleshpur and it was a satisfactory experience as usual. We covered about 600kms within 24 hours and the car was flawless. Unlike the above experience our car was clean from the inside but not so much from the outside due to the rain, it was raining when the car was delivered. The only issue we faced this time was with respect to fuel, the driver made me top up up-to the brim from the nearest bunk at the time of return whereas the car wasn't topped-up the same way when it was delivered. (It was topped up about 20kms away from my place, so there is a difference is quantity of fuel at the time of delivery vs return). Also there was no speed limiter as usual, we could touch some good speeds on the open highways and enjoyed the drive comfortably!
Funny is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2019, 11:07   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny View Post
Yet again we rented a Crysta for our one-day trip to Sakleshpur and it was a satisfactory experience as usual. We covered about 600kms within 24 hours and the car was flawless. Unlike the above experience our car was clean from the inside but not so much from the outside due to the rain, it was raining when the car was delivered. The only issue we faced this time was with respect to fuel, the driver made me top up up-to the brim from the nearest bunk at the time of return whereas the car wasn't topped-up the same way when it was delivered. (It was topped up about 20kms away from my place, so there is a difference is quantity of fuel at the time of delivery vs return). Also there was no speed limiter as usual, we could touch some good speeds on the open highways and enjoyed the drive comfortably!
Hi Funny, I am planning a 6 day trip to Madikeri, Nagarhole and back to Bangalore. Do you remember, how many kms did the Crysta have on the odo Its a toss up between the 5 series and the Crysta for 3 adults and 2 kids.
animeshb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2019, 20:43   #20
BANNED

The AVIS website says they need Aadhaar, Driving License AND a voter card/Passport.

What if I dont have the Passport/Voter card.
simeonovitch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2019, 08:12   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simeonovitch View Post
The AVIS website says they need Aadhaar, Driving License AND a voter card/Passport.

What if I dont have the Passport/Voter card.
Just email them. They will provide you alternatives. I think they just need the Aadhar and license.
rovingeye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2019, 17:09   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by animeshb View Post
Hi Funny, I am planning a 6 day trip to Madikeri, Nagarhole and back to Bangalore. Do you remember, how many kms did the Crysta have on the odo Its a toss up between the 5 series and the Crysta for 3 adults and 2 kids.
I am sorry for the late reply. On both the times that we rented Crysta, the ODO readings were in the range of 60-80K. But they were well maintained Toyota(s) so there wasn't any issue with the performance as such. By the way I heard that they give you a Merc instead of the 5 series since the Beemers have 80kmph speed limiters installed.
Funny is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks